Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I'd like to see Evan Regan get some game time in the league too, great young player.

Yesterday Mayo were crying out for a ball winner in FF. O'Connor was seriously lacking. I'dve put S. O'Shea in for the day that was in it. However it'll be great to have Andy back next year with the help of God.

If Mayo can take some good lessons from yesterday we can hope for exciting times in the not so distant future :)

Doherty's capable of the odd great score but drifts out of games too much.

Was very impressed with backs overall. Although I've made my opinions on Vaughan known plenty, he leaves too much space

Will club be on this sat or the following week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

mayomaffia wrote: »
    cgpg5 wrote: »
    O'Connor wasn't showing at all, I was disappointed in him big time

Only for his frees he would not be playing, he's not contributing anything else. But is still young and has to bulk up yet.

A bit of perspective. Gooch, Donaghy, Donnacha O'Connor, Colm O'Neill were all cleaned out by the McGee brothers.

O'Connor had a great Semi-Final, don't judge him on his performance against the best Fullback pairing in the country. Ball in was shocking also.

I think ye are harsh on the poor lad. He was physically dominated by bigger men on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

My wife's from Donegal so I had to side with Donegal yesterday. I was really disappointed for Mayo but for the first time in as long as I can remember, they have lots of positives to take from an AI final loss and the experience will only stand to them in the next couple of years.
    On the Mortimer issue, looking as an outsider, he's not bad but no player is bigger than the team: anybody willing to leave the panel because he's not starting should never be allowed to come back. It sends the wrong signal to all of the guys who but blood, sweat and tears into their training over the last while if he's brought back in. How big will his head be if he comes back with the attitude "They couldn't win without me last year: if I was there it would have been different".
    I know who I'd like on my team when the going gets tough (like it did yesterday) and it's the guys who gave their all in your forward line who will eventually win Sam. Cillian O'Connor is still only a young lad and will improve on the free-taking, Andy Moran would walk onto any team in the country, I don't think you have room for any prima donnas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Commiserations to the Mayo fans on here, ye got off to a bad start but still plugged away. I wonder what would have happened if the referee had given that free instead of letting Donegal get away with it and they go up and score their second goal. Might have been a point for Mayo instead, add that and take away the goal and it's 1-11 to 0-14. As for Conor Mortimor, if he doesn't want to toe the line, let him go. Anthony Cunningham got rid of a few high profile hurlers like Ger Farragher etc, rebuilt the team using younger players and prospects look good. Sometimes you just have to let go of some of these "stars" and start over with players who can get with the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Agree completely. Looking forward to next year already ha. I wouldn't worry too much about the league. It should be used to try new systems/tactics which can be used for champ. Be nice to win it but it shouldn't be too much of a priority.

Connacht is crucial. Mayo are the best team in Connacht by a distance and should win it with little difficulty. No silly slip ups hopefully. A good Connacht and you're in an AI qf against a qualifier. So really and truly Mayo should be making the semis anyway next year and who knows from there :)

A good league performance and a place in the league semi-finals (if they still exist) would help in getting game time against better teams.
    This year it helped as the Coannught championship had Mayo starting in a SF v Leitrim on 24/06.

I think Mayo will win Coannught again this year, apart from a possible resurgence in Galway the quality is not there.
    naughto wrote: »
    i see there is a home coming in machale park in the evening i dont no if this is a good idea i think the players should be allowed to spend time with there famailes and friends and no praded around so people can see the.
    we are all hurting but not as much as the players are at this point in time

The homecoming is really no harm, the kids will like it and I'd imagine it would be fairly low key.
    Was right behind the Donegal goal in the first half and it was interesting to see Conroy's willingness to make runs and he was very lively. He's a very crucial and underrated player for Mayo imo. O'Connor wasn't showing at all, I was disappointed in him big time

Conroy has improved as the season has gone on
    He was a real prospect back in '04 but faded in the interim.
    I'd love to see him step it up even further for 2013, he is still only 27.
    He has to improve his accuracy though.

Himself and Boyle have now lost three national finals in Croke Park in the space of 7 months, that's what it's like when you are from Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fantastic year lads even if old wounds are being felt again. We're quick healers at this stage. Positives outweigh the negatives and we've improved immensely in 2 year Horan tenure. So much potential in this Mayo set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Agree with post above, take the positives out of this game.

I stated a while ago this is the best Mayo team Id seen in over 20 years and nothing has changed my mind. So many outstanding young players who will be around for a while to come and I feel they are definatley good enough to win All-Ireland. A supberb all round team. I was sick when Dublin were knocked at but Mayo were awsome for long spells of each game they played this year. One big decision which saw a 4 point turn around cost them dearly. But that aside this team are well equipped to come back even better than this year. And as a G.A.A supporter I sincerley hope they do.

Just rewatched the game in full. The intensity levels were incredible from the lads. At times, Donegal looked clueless out there on the ball, which was amazing to see after they used it so brilliantly v Kerry and Cork. The lads deserve so much credit for that. The problem was mayo couldn't win quality ball in the forwards and the two McGee's sweeped up brilliantly. Donegal were marginally the better team overall but there are so much positives to take from this.

If the team can keep up this level of intensity they'll be grand. No-one will beat us easy and that is a contrast to a few years ago when we lied down at times. Looking forward to 2013 big time. Early doors but I wouldn't bet against a Mayo-Donegal semi :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Now that the season is over I would hope that Horan and Mortimer could have some sort of coming together on Mortimer's participation in the squad.

Mortimer has to understand that there is only one boss and that is Horan, and Horan has to make it clear to Mortimer what has to be done to get on the team, and Horan has to keep his word on that.
    If Mortimer does the work he deserves his place, if not then it's the bench.

I hope they have a meeting of the minds on this, Mortimer is an asset there is no doubt.

Mayo could do with Mortimer and this could be a great chance for Mortimer to claim that elusive winners medal.

Complete rubbish. Mayo do not need mortimer and the media crap around him. He is the big man for the small day and the small man for the big day. He does not give a flying dog b***** about mayo and his team mates. He only cares about himself. Mayo are a better team without him and don't need his type around. I am sure there will be new guys we can bring in to strengthen the team and not revert to his nonsense again.

Complete rubbish. Mayo do not need mortimer and the media crap around him. He is the big man for the small day and the small man for the big day. He does not give a flying dog b***** about mayo and his team mates. He only cares about himself. Mayo are a better team without him and don't need his type around. I am sure there will be new guys we can bring in to strengthen the team and not revert to his nonsense again.

Say what you like, I wouldn't have minded him playing yesterday even if just for frees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The All Ireland champions title will arrive in Mayo one day and I reckon it will be very soon. What Mayo need to do now is keep building on the program that James Horan has been doing. He has done well with Mayo so far, learn from the mistakes of the final, try one or two new things with the team, find two or three more players and take a leaf out of Jim Mc Guinness's book and come back stronger.

Donegal came from nothing in 2010 and won an All Ireland in 2012. Mayo are at a more advance level now then Donegal were at in 2010 and Mayo are good enough to win All Ireland.

Keep the faith James Horan and the Mayo team. You performed very well on the field yesterday and were beaten by the better team, no shame in that. Mayo will learn alot from that and if the players keep the focus and Horan stays in charge, Sam will come back to Mayo.

Say what you like, I wouldn't have minded him playing yesterday even if just for frees

A player needs to contribute more than frees. This is old school crap where a guy is on the panel just for frees. Not sure why O'Connor didn't take all the frees yesterday as he is our best option.

So we get mortimer back in for frees. He is in the papers every few days sprouting crap. Mayo has moved on from this. We should never go back to this crap again. The guys we have now are 100% commited to the end game of trying to win SAM. He made his bed now let the little prick lie in it or even better go spread his crap in some other county team.

I would take any of the current guys every day of the week before mortimer because I know they care and will try to the bitter end. You can't ask more than that. I can't say the same about mortimer

Did you miss the bit where I said, 'Mortimer has to understand....', or 'if Mortimer does the work.......'

There was no way he was coming back in 2012, but next year is a whole new ball game, and eventhough Horan is his own man he is a pragmatist too, and if Mortimer is willing to get stuck in and knows what is involved then there is no reason for him to be out in the cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht is crucial. Mayo are the best team in Connacht by a distance and should win it with little difficulty. No silly slip ups hopefully. A good Connacht and you're in an AI qf against a qualifier. So really and truly Mayo should be making the semis anyway next year and who knows from there :)

Mayo are the best team in Connacht but they are not good enough that they can just discount the opposition in the province entirely. Mayo barely got past Sligo in the Connacht final. Roscommon had a horrendous championship but are a much better side than they showed this Summer and will have a new coach next year. And of course Galway are unlikely to remain in the doldrums permanently with a lot of young players coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Did you miss the bit where I said, 'Mortimer has to understand....', or 'if Mortimer does the work.......'

There was no way he was coming back in 2012, but next year is a whole new ball game, and eventhough Horan is his own man he is a pragmatist too, and if Mortimer is willing to get stuck in and knows what is involved then there is no reason for him to be out in the cold

Mortimer doesn't strike as the type of individual to understand that too easily. As a Galway person, I hope ye bring him back to give us a better chance against ye but you're better off without him.

But why bring back a guy who does not care? Some mayo fans are so fecking naive to think that this guy will change his spots. He has been at this for years and now we have a manager who decided enough was enough. Horan is on a totally different plan and it is about hard work, dedication, supporting your team mates. These qualities are not there in him. I have the upmost respect for Horan because he called a spade a spade with this lad

Your comments are so fecking pathetic because we had a team that actually played to the bitter end but now we have supporters bringing up the "bring back mortimer" as a solution to our woes for 2013.

Get a fecking grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Trev is the man you'd want back, thought that 'family statement' business probably burnt the bridge with Horan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

But why bring back a guy who does not care? Some mayo fans are so fecking naive to think that this guy will change his spots. He has been at this for years and now we have a manager who decided enough was enough. Horan is on a totally different plan and it is about hard work, dedication, supporting your team mates. These qualities are not there in him. I have the upmost respect for Horan because he called a spade a spade with this lad

Your comments are so fecking pathetic because we had a team that actually played to the bitter end but now we have supporters bringing up the "bring back mortimer" as a solution to our woes for 2013.

Get a fecking grip.

I think you need to calm down a bit. The lads who are saying that Mortimer should come back do make a valid point.
    His free taking would be an asset to the team. But they are saying that he should be back on the team if he can accept that Horan is boss, not him.

Mortimer left the panel probably thinking that the team would go nowhere without him. He saw how close they came to winning and this might give him a good kick up the hole to realise that with him they could go even further.

And I don't think that bringing back Mortimer is a 'solution' as you put it. It's like you're saying they lost in the qualifiers and are begging him to come back. It's more a case of building on this year's performance. A good push for next season, if Horan can straighten him out then it would be a massive step forward. If not, then good riddance to him

I think you need to calm down a bit. The lads who are saying that Mortimer should come back do make a valid point.
    His free taking would be an asset to the team. But they are saying that he should be back on the team if he can accept that Horan is boss, not him.

Mortimer left the panel probably thinking that the team would go nowhere without him. He saw how close they came to winning and this might give him a good kick up the hole to realise that with him they could go even further.

And I don't think that bringing back Mortimer is a 'solution' as you put it. It's like you're saying they lost in the qualifiers and are begging him to come back. It's more a case of building on this year's performance. A good push for next season, if Horan can straighten him out then it would be a massive step forward. If not, then good riddance to him

Thank you, that is exactly the point I am trying to make, but some posters here just prefer to ignore it and continue their rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

He is the big man for the small day and the small man for the big day.

Classic!!

You'd be better off to get one of the existing guys to practice free-taking even harder than they are currently. It's far from impossible for a talented footballer to become a good free-taker with a bit of helping psychology, good coaching and hours and hours of practice.
    The game has moved on from the days of having a passenger on the team (and a disruptive one at that) to take the frees...

Classic!!

You'd be better off to get one of the existing guys to practice free-taking even harder than they are currently. It's far from impossible for a talented footballer to become a good free-taker with a bit of helping psychology, good coaching and hours and hours of practice.
    The game has moved on from the days of having a passenger on the team (and a disruptive one at that) to take the frees...

Spot on. We do not need a guy like him. A passenger free taker is not enough any more. Take a look at Mcfadden. You will not change this guy because he has been around too long. Can't teach old dog new tricks etc. I am not ranting/do not need to calm down as some buckos above are saying. Mayo needs to move on from crap like this. Maughan entertained the media, then he left so mortimer took his place.

Now we have a man who keeps the team in check and has very different principles. Bringing back mortimer only disrupts the team and he offers nothing new.

The fact that Mayo supporters come on sites and say "ah get him to toe the line etc" is pathetic in that it disregards everything good that has been achieved since he left. This is a backward step imo if he comes back. It will only end in tears. I think Horan knows this and also that he does not offer anything different to the team. This is the reason why he never played him.

He only cares about himself and getting his few frees. Its a better solution to get O'Connor to take all and forget about this lad.

We need guys that can win ball in the air as this gives us more options. We must strive for forwards that can do this. This is our only hope. We have a decent backline and midfield is not bad. We need two decent big forwards and I think we will be a match for any team considering to win SAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I see Kerry are trying to steal Cian O'Neill. Was meant to be a great addition to coaching team so will be a great loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I see Kerry are trying to steal Cian O'Neill. Was meant to be a great addition to coaching team so will be a great loss
    i cant see him going yet we are still building he would be mad to leave or team now unless theres plenty money involved

naughto wrote: »
    i cant see him going yet we are still building he would be mad to leave or team now unless theres plenty money involved

I heard on Saturday (in Kerry) that he was going to be with them for 2013, the the Kerry fan that told me was none too happy with an outsider coming in to train them :)

What is the official line of this, has he been approached by Kerry ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I heard on Saturday (in Kerry) that he was going to be with them for 2013, the the Kerry fan that told me was none too happy with an outsider coming in to train them :)

What is the official line of this, has he been approached by Kerry ?

Yeah he's joining us alright. The "Kerry fan" you were talking to sounds like a dope, he'll be a fantastic addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 intoDwest

Unfortunately you need a "stand out" forward to win All Irelands. In Mayo we have one but he just happens to be in Australia playing for The Lions. I know its all a "if my aunt had balls etc" statement but if we had Pierce Hanley at 11 and Andy Moran at 14 on Sunday then we would be All Ireland Champions today.

A county like Mayo cannot afford to be without a one in a generation footballer and that's what I think Hanley is. A big fast direct forward threat from the 40.

We cannot fault the effort of the players and management team, just fell a little short on the day. But the pride has been restored to the Jersey and we can look forward to next year with confidence rather then despair.

And Mort can RIP, not capable of buying into what Horan is selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Keep the chins up lads, the battle is never over until it is won, there is no doubt in my mind that there is an All-Ireland in this team yet, on a different day we would have beaten that Donegal team, we were certainly good enough, just too naive at the start and shaky in front of goal in the 2nd half. The hunger is there and we will be back challenging next year. If Horan does one thing right he learns from the mistakes and moves on.

Not going to pretend I'm not disappointed, I certainly am but this is nothing like the previous two All-Irelands when we were beaten out the gate, them times we just weren't up to the standard but this time is different, massive room for improvement and no doubt we will be a better team because of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Those saying things like "If Mort can buy into Horan's ideas" etc obviously dont know Mort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nippledragon

FFS lads forget Conor Mortimer. He was a great servant to Mayo GAA but showed his true colours in the end - all he cares about is "mé fein". We are miles better off without him, he offers nothing new.

The weekends experience will stand to the current team. They are positive about next season already, from what I have heard, so fair fecks to them, that is the mindset we need.

Cian O' Neil leaving for Kerry. He has done a great job so deserves our praise. If it's Barry Solan thats coming in to replace him we have no need to worry, he was part of Katie Taylor's backroom team for the olympics and has a very good cv of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Syferus wrote: »
    Trev is the man you'd want back, thought that 'family statement' business probably burnt the bridge with Horan.

I would have Trevor back before his little brother.
    Hell I would send Conor over to Kenya in his place.
    Cian O' Neil leaving for Kerry. He has done a great job so deserves our praise. If it's Barry Solan thats coming in to replace him we have no need to worry, he was part of Katie Taylor's backroom team for the olympics and has a very good cv of experience.

Is he still involved with Laois together with all the other stuff ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Those saying things like "If Mort can buy into Horan's ideas" etc obviously dont know Mort.

well that's that settled then, if he ain't worth talking to over the winter then he ain't worth talking to.

Here is the betting for 2013

Donegal 11/4
    Cork 7/2
    Kerry 4/1
    Dublin 4/1
    Mayo 11/1
    Tyrone 16/1
    Kildare 18/1

Good price at 11/1.

well that's that settled then, if he ain't worth talking to over the winter then he ain't worth talking to.

Here is the betting for 2013

Donegal 11/4
    Cork 7/2
    Kerry 4/1
    Dublin 4/1
    Mayo 11/1
    Tyrone 16/1
    Kildare 18/1

Good price at 11/1.
    Kerry 4/1?? And Dublin!!! Wtf

Agree, 11-1 is a super price. Well we're being written off by bookies anyway lets hope that transfers to other teams too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Keep the chins up lads, the battle is never over until it is won, there is no doubt in my mind that there is an All-Ireland in this team yet, on a different day we would have beaten that Donegal team, we were certainly good enough, just too naive at the start and shaky in front of goal in the 2nd half. The hunger is there and we will be back challenging next year. If Horan does one thing right he learns from the mistakes and moves on.

Not going to pretend I'm not disappointed, I certainly am but this is nothing like the previous two All-Irelands when we were beaten out the gate, them times we just weren't up to the standard but this time is different, massive room for improvement and no doubt we will be a better team because of it.

Dead right! We improved by one step since last year. All we need is to do it again. Keep the faith!

Kerry 4/1?? And Dublin!!! Wtf

Agree, 11-1 is a super price. Well we're being written off by bookies anyway lets hope that transfers to other teams too :)

Kerry will always be short odds with a bookie beacuse people will always back them based on their history and their ability to turn things around in a relatively short period of time.

Dublin will also be shorter than they should beacuse of the numbers that will back them.

Donegal are real bad value there, I would not expect them to be a realistic contender in 2013 and their their excretions in 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Donegal are real bad value there, I would not expect them to be a realistic contender in 2013 and their their excretions in 2012

Ah here - you've crossed the line now - calling it puke football is one thing but calling their style excretions that's OTT - and you a man of the cloth - shame on you :p

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Ah here - you've crossed the line now - calling it puke football is one thing but calling their style excretions that's OTT - and you a man of the cloth - shame on you :p

Damn you spell checker, exertions not excretions :)

Kerry will always be short odds with a bookie beacuse people will always back them based on their history and their ability to turn things around in a relatively short period of time.

Dublin will also be shorter than they should beacuse of the numbers that will back them.

Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's questionable if Doinegal will have what it takes to repeat but it's far too early to make a judgement either way.

Syferus wrote: »
    It's questionable if Doinegal will have what it takes to repeat but it's far too early to make a judgement either way.

Yeah I just glossed over the part of that post where he says they won't be real contenders, they obviously will but are certainly underpriced at 4/1.

Mayo are the best team in Connacht but they are not good enough that they can just discount the opposition in the province entirely. Mayo barely got past Sligo in the Connacht final. Roscommon had a horrendous championship but are a much better side than they showed this Summer and will have a new coach next year. And of course Galway are unlikely to remain in the doldrums permanently with a lot of young players coming through.

Well I would not totally discount the opposition but unless Galway have a Mayo\Donegal 2011 type improvement this winter and spring then I can see Mayo winning it.

Roscommon are going backwards after it looked like they would improve under Fergal O' Donnell

Sligo are hardy but would have to play Mayo in Castlebar if they meet before a final, which I doubt they will relish.

Galway may be a dark horse as I said depending on what Mulholland can do with them over the winter, and if they play Mayo it will be in Galway which is a place that Mayo have struggled.
    A return to Div 1 and a good run in the All Ireland qualifiers may count as a good year for them.

But if Mayo are serious contenders for 2013, which is all we have heard from them since Sunday evening, they they should be certainly putting away the other teams in Connaught without too much fuss.

Mayo have not won 3 in a row since 1949, 1950, 1951.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well I would not totally discount the opposition but unless Galway have a Mayo\Donegal 2011 type improvement this winter and spring then I can see Mayo winning it.

Roscommon are going backwards after it looked like they would improve under Fergal O' Donnell

Sligo are hardy but would have to play Mayo in Castlebar if they meet before a final, which I doubt they will relish.

Galway may be a dark horse as I said depending on what Mulholland can do with them over the winter, and if they play Mayo it will be in Galway which is a place that Mayo have struggled.
    A return to Div 1 and a good run in the All Ireland qualifiers may count as a good year for them.

But if Mayo are serious contenders for 2013, which is all we have heard from them since Sunday evening, they they should be certainly putting away the other teams in Connaught without too much fuss.

Agree totally, BUT wouldn't it be better if we "sneak" in again, :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

We still are only regarded as 5th best team, what suits us :D

Kerry 11/4
    Donegal 9/2
    Dublin 9/2
    Cork 9/2
    Mayo 13/2
    Tyrone 20/1
    Kildare 25/1
    Meath 25/1
    Galway 66/1
    Laois 66/1
    Armagh 66/1
    Derry 66/1
    Down 66/1
    Longford 80/1
    Wexford 100/1
    Monaghan 125/1
    Limerick 150/1
    Sligo 200/1
    Westmeath200/1
    Tipperary 200/1
    Louth 250/1
    Cavan 250/1
    London 250/1
    Offaly 300/1
    Wicklow 500/1
    Antrim 500/1
    Fermanagh 500/1
    Leitrim 1000/1
    Clare 1000/1
    Carlow 2000/1
    Waterford 2000/1
    New York 2000/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

mayo.mick wrote: »
    We still are only regarded as 5th best team, what suits us :D

Kerry 11/4
    Donegal 9/2
    Dublin 9/2
    Cork 9/2
    Mayo 13/2
    Tyrone 20/1
    Kildare 25/1
    Meath 25/1
    Galway 66/1
    Laois 66/1
    Armagh 66/1
    Derry 66/1
    Down 66/1
    Longford 80/1
    Wexford 100/1
    Monaghan 125/1
    Limerick 150/1
    Sligo 200/1
    Westmeath200/1
    Tipperary 200/1
    Louth 250/1
    Cavan 250/1
    London 250/1
    Offaly 300/1
    Wicklow 500/1
    Antrim 500/1
    Fermanagh 500/1
    Leitrim 1000/1
    Clare 1000/1
    Carlow 2000/1
    Waterford 2000/1
    New York 2000/1
    What odds are "De Rossies"??:)

• Advertisement

Hear hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Still, disasters happen. Mayo have never reached the semi-final after moving through the qualifiers so I would be eager to see them lift the Nestor cup. Given the way they picked themselves up against Donegal however I would be more hopeful of a successful qualifier campaign if that's the way it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

padd b1975 wrote: »
    What odds are "De Rossies"??:)

Just seen that, must'nt be playing next year:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Overall I have alot of optimism that Mayo can be better next year but ... that may still only mean quarter final/semi final.
    1. Midfield options - Two O'Sheas, Barry Moran only back from injuries. Jason Gibbons needs another year of strength work. He's come a long way already from a player who had no pace.
    2. Full Forward - I expect us to operate there next year throughout FBD and League with a big man in the square. Any of Barry Moran/Seamus O'Shea.
    3. Return of Andy Moran (fingers crossed)
    I think Seamus O'Shea could be best option at full forward as he has the power to take on a guy like McGee or Shields.
    Centre forward is an issue. Maybe a rejuvenated Darren Coen could be an option as he can pass accurately off left or right. Injured was last I had heard?
    Plus you probably need one other big corner forward otherwise we lack height upfront. Possibly Conor O'Shea as he's probably the only option in the county who has the size and the skill.
    The likes of Alan Murphy could be an exciting option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Has anyone heard anything about Pearce Hanley coming back? I heard it off two people at the weekend. Just putting it out there, could be 100% bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement