Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which network has the Nexus ?

Options
  • 14-02-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi

Could somebody please confirm if the following is true ?

Meteor & eMobile ( one & the same ) carry the Nexus.

None of the rest appear to carry it. I am surprised that 3 does not.

6 months left on my contract with Meteor and I am really tempted to port to 3 ( unlimited data, well actuall 15Gb I think ). I don't really like Meteor's data plans, currently have 1Gb per month and well, what with usb-tethering on the train etc it is not enough.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Vodafone have it aswell as meteor and emobile.

If you have 6 months left on your contract then how are you planning on porting over to 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Well, I won't port straight away :) I usually start checking phone, price plans etc about 6 months in advance ( sad I know ). Most likely I will port over in the last month of my contract so as to minimize any cost I owe Meteor. If Meteor drastically improve their data bundles in the meantime I would consider staying.

Will take a look at Vodafone, thanks for the heads up, forgot to check them.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

laoisfan wrote: »
    Hi

6 months left on my contract with Meteor and I am really tempted to port to 3 ( unlimited data, well actuall 15Gb I think ). I don't really like Meteor's data plans, currently have 1Gb per month and well, what with usb-tethering on the train etc it is not enough.

Just to let you know, it technically is unlimited but they have the right to reduce/slow down your usage if you go above the 15GB, which I'd say hardly anyone one, unless there tethering to there computer or something!
    One thing they won't do, unlike other networks is they won't overcharge you if you go over the 15GB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Had a look at it on the vodafone website. Their price plans suck...big time. I used to be with Vodafone and vowed never to go back to them...I think I will be keeping my promise!!

I sure hope this phone comes to 3 sometime in the next 6 months, either that or Meteor improve their data bundles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

laoisfan wrote: »
    Had a look at it on the vodafone website. Their price plans suck...big time. I used to be with Vodafone and vowed never to go back to them...I think I will be keeping my promise!!

I sure hope this phone comes to 3 sometime in the next 6 months, either that or Meteor improve their data bundles.

Three have said on their support forum that they aren't getting it. Samsung galaxy s3 should be out by the time your contract is over though. But if you are planning to tether all that data with three forget it. They don't allow it anymore on new contacts or PAYG unless you buy the Samsung phone and tablet bundle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Three have said on their support forum that they aren't getting it. Samsung galaxy s3 should be out by the time your contract is over though. But if you are planning to tether all that data with three forget it. They don't allow it anymore on new contacts or PAYG unless you buy the Samsung phone and tablet bundle.

How are they going to stop you tethering the 15gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭pah

The network can tell when you are tethering, how do you think they can charge extra for it or give tethervspecific packages. There are workarounds though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Because iPhone's have a different APN for tethering and cannot tether on the mobile APN.. Whereas the Androids can tether on any APN, I don't know, maybe they can tell it's tethering because of the volume of data, but I don't know if they can prove it.. Surely streaming onto the mobile device via Netflix for example would yield similar results.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Because iPhone's have a different APN for tethering and cannot tether on the mobile APN.. Whereas the Androids can tether on any APN, I don't know, maybe they can tell it's tethering because of the volume of data, but I don't know if they can prove it.. Surely streaming onto the mobile device via Netflix for example would yield similar results.

I know I saw something on XDA about a workaround to avoid detection which involves using a different rom. Can't post a link a I'm on the phone, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭28064212

pah wrote: »
    The network can tell when you are tethering, how do you think they can charge extra for it or give tethervspecific packages. There are workarounds though ;)
    Can't see how. What are they going to look at, the browser user agent? I use a desktop user agent on my phone all the time. AFAIK, the only phone they can actually track it on is the iPhone because they use a different APN, you can't set it manually

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

28064212 wrote: »
    Can't see how. What are they going to look at, the browser user agent? I use a desktop user agent on my phone all the time. AFAIK, the only phone they can actually track it on is the iPhone because they use a different APN, you can't set it manually
    +1 They're not able to track it on Android phones!

jwcurtin wrote: »
    +1 They're not able to track it on Android phones!

Can I ask how? I'm only used to iPhones and to tether I have to switch on personal hotspot. Whats the android equivalent and how do I know I'm using the correct APN? Cheers

Can I ask how? I'm only used to iPhones and to tether I have to switch on personal hotspot. Whats the android equivalent and how do I know I'm using the correct APN? Cheers
    How they're not able to track it? The better question is how are they able to track it on iPhones.

AFAIK, this is how it works: On iPhones, the "tether" settings use an APN set by the carrier. You can't change this manually. Any data going through this APN is known to be from a device tethered to an iPhone

Android's, on the other hand, simply use the default APN. The network would have to actually check the data to find out whether it's tethered or not, and even then, it wouldn't be conclusive

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

How they're not able to track it? The better question is how are they able to track it on iPhones.

AFAIK, this is how it works: On iPhones, the "tether" settings use an APN set by the carrier. You can't change this manually. Any data going through this APN is known to be from a device tethered to an iPhone

Android's, on the other hand, simply use the default APN. The network would have to actually check the data to find out whether it's tethered or not, and even then, it wouldn't be conclusive

Thanks. So is there a wifi hotspot type setting on all the latest android phones?

Thanks. So is there a wifi hotspot type setting on all the latest android phones?
    There definitely is on the Galaxy Nexus. I assume there is on most new Androids. Even if there's not, there's the PDANet app, which gives the same functionality: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pn.helper

There definitely is on the Galaxy Nexus. I assume there is on most new Androids. Even if there's not, there's the PDANet app, which gives the same functionality: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pn.helper

nice one thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone know where I can have a test drive of a real Nexus in Cork, as against the plastic doodads they have in most stores? Carphone Warehouse in Mahon Point is usually the go-to place to test real handsets, but they don't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's not that awe inspiring of a phone i've had a try of it. My own android has the ICS theme and wallpaper and to be honest it done nothing for me. Mobile word congress is on the end of the month there should be some good phones launched at that.
    Sony Xperia S will be interesting, granted it doesn't come with Ice cream sandwich but sony have said it will be getting it. Beats the nexus already in my book and it's only the first of this years phones. In 6mts the Nexus will be outdated if it isn't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I have been using my galaxy mini from 3 to tether many times, and I have watched netflix through it on my p.c. and have had no problems, been doing it for about a month

Advertisement