Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems Michael Collins and Padraig Pearse were gay?

Options
  • 09-10-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I found myself leafing through yesterdays Irish Times (it's pretty ****e i know) and found an excerpt from David Norris book, he's talking about the gay right movement in Ireland and goes on to strongly suggest that Roger Casement, Padraig Pearse, Michael Collins and Eoin O'Duffy were gay.

Now personally I don't have a homophobic bone in my body (stop) but isn't it a bit weird outing people like this when there dead? Also, I'd love to know what the republicans here think of this?

I know its been widely suggested before that Roger Casement was gay but the other three came as a bit of a shock to me. For one thing i want me money back from the Liam Neeson/Julia Roberts movie. Damn you Hollywood lies....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I can't say that it really matters either way to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

Not that weird. He might be dead, but we all know Haughey focked the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I thought that rumours of Eoin O'Duffy being gay were widely known?

Blueshirtlifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Casement, yes. Pearse, maybe, mabye not. O'Duffy, yes - thats out a while.

Collins though? Never heard that before. I'd like to know what he's basing it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

So what if he was Gay .... the man was a fcuking legend END OF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pearse wrote some fairly homoerotic poetry. Wouldn't be a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I thought the padraig pearse rumour was quite commonly known, tbh. hadn't heard the other ones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Given the source, he could just be looking into things that weren't there but I'd say it could always have been a possibility but not mentioned considering being gay was illegal and heavily punishable back then.
    We'll never know though.

In my own family on my grandad's side, they were soldiers and very high up in the army as well. A few of my great uncles never married at all and considering they were good looking men it makes me wonder were they. In fact, I think that's were I got the gene from that influenced my sexuality. But again, it's easy to assume considering I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

OP, any chance you could copy some of the excerpt?

EDIT: Found it
    Other heroes of Irish nationalism were also less than 100 per cent heterosexual ... An elderly man came in one night who had been visiting Sinn Féin’s headquarters three doors down.

He had fought in the Civil War more than half a century before and claimed to have been one of Michael Collins’s principal boyfriends. I mentioned this to a well-known popular historian of the period, who confirmed that this was generally known in certain republican circles, who were deeply uncomfortable about it. Well, if Michael Collins was gay, or bisexual – so what? Who cares? It shouldn’t matter as it is just a neutral fact. It certainly isn’t a slur, and the vast majority of the Irish people no longer regard it as such.

Anyway, this all lessened the surprise when it emerged recently that another absurdly macho figure, the leader of the Blueshirts, General Eoin O’Duffy, had been embroiled in a long affair with the great Irish actor Micheál Mac Liammóir.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1008/1224325013269.html

Well that's pretty conclusive proof. A random old man, and an unnamed historian. And it's not like Norris has ever lied before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Damathon111

Do you know that homosexuality was decriminalized in 1993 or around that time? It's amazing how backward Ireland is for a supposed-first world country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could'nt have been gay, sure wasnt he riding Julia Roberts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

No no no, Collins wasn't gay. I've seen the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've heard the rumor about Micheal Collins being gay. But wasn't he engaged? I heard O'Duffy was gay too. Never heard about Pearce or Casement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

"strongly suggest" "widely suggested" "rumour" "possibility"

Heh, what more proof do we need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

David Norris in "everyone was gay" statement shocker...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Fantasy, fantasy, fantasy, dear David, but if it filled your sock so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

brummytom wrote: »
    OP, any chance you could copy some of the excerpt?

"Other heroes of Irish nationalism were also less than 100 per cent heterosexual ... An elderly man came in one night who had been visiting Sinn Féin’s headquarters three doors down.
    He had fought in the Civil War more than half a century before and claimed to have been one of Michael Collins’s principal boyfriends. I mentioned this to a well-known popular historian of the period, who confirmed that this was generally known in certain republican circles, who were deeply uncomfortable about it. Well, if Michael Collins was gay, or bisexual – so what? Who cares? It shouldn’t matter as it is just a neutral fact. It certainly isn’t a slur, and the vast majority of the Irish people no longer regard it as such.
    Anyway, this all lessened the surprise when it emerged recently that another absurdly macho figure, the leader of the Blueshirts, General Eoin O’Duffy, had been embroiled in a long affair with the great Irish actor Micheál Mac Liammóir."

He may have been engaged, but it wasn't that long ago when Freddie Mercury was married to a woman either.
    I don't think people were openly gay 100 years ago :P

I'd be willing to bet at least one boardies father is secretly gay.
    My friends Dad is openly gay but only for about 15 years.
    I still think his wife must have known...everyone else did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

No way was Collins gay, our uniforms would be much fancier if he had been gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Collins was engaged and reported to be head over heels in love by his close friends.
    In a couple of biographies of him it's suggested he was pretty successful with the ladies during his time spent in London.

Just seen he might have been gay OR bi-sexual so the above doesn't really matter. Maybe he was secretly ginger too? Oh well, I guess Frongoch wouldn't have helped.

I think Norris is just fishing for reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

It wouldn't surprise me if they might all be gay/bi. Some older people seem to think that everyone was straight back then when in fact the percentage of gay people has never changed, even now.
    People just weren't aware of it because it was carefully hidden. I'd say there was bound to be a good few high profile leaders of the time who were actually gay or bi but were closeted for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

benwavner wrote: »
    No way was Collins gay, our uniforms would be much fancier if he had been gay.

Only if he was Louis Spence gay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,644 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I heard that David Norris was straight.

"Other heroes of Irish nationalism were also less than 100 per cent heterosexual ... An elderly man came in one night who had been visiting Sinn Féin’s headquarters three doors down.
    Anyway, this all lessened the surprise when it emerged recently that another absurdly macho figure, the leader of the Blueshirts, General Eoin O’Duffy, had been embroiled in a long affair with the great Irish actor Micheál Mac Liammóir."

What better way to get attention than to say that you've shagged a famous character.....

I suggest its wishful thinking on the part of Norris. After the split over the treaty their would have been no hesitation in opening the gob then. I've never heard a hint of this, ever.

Shure aren't we all bisexual

I heard that David Norris was straight.

An old woman came in one night and told me he was a divil for the wimmin allright, and that she was one of his favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Only if he was Louis Spence gay :D

Thats proper gay!

Shure aren't we all bisexual

Only if we're staying in your gaf and miss the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Pearse,Collins and O'Duffy are Gays :eek: and there was me thinking Daffyd Norris was thee only gay in the village

• Advertisement

benwavner wrote: »
    Thats proper gay!

Ye can't imagine a louis spence level gay collins surviving long on the run though.....

Advertisement