Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anybody else getting excited about Arthur's Day?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Eh, example of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thora

Should have mentioned that the locations are being kept under wraps. Otherwise Deco better get the tea on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Hopefully in a burning building from which they can't escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Wait wait wait.

Is Example a person or a group? People keep switching from "are" to "is" to "him" to "they"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

phasers wrote: »
    Wait wait wait.

Is Example a person or a group? People keep switching from "are" to "is" to "him" to "they"
    I think they're talking about different examples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

kfallon wrote: »
    Noctors

no no no ellie goulding is playing there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

phasers wrote: »
    Wait wait wait.

It's a person, called Elliot Gleave. (e.g. -> example. Very clever)

Saw him at a festival thing last year (got given a spare ticket by a mate). He was actually quite good, considering I hate that kind of music. The lad who sings 'Never been afraid of the highest heights, nor afraid of dying' or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

brummytom wrote: »
    It's a person, called Elliot Gould or something IIRC.

Saw him at a festival thing last year (got given a spare ticket by a mate). He was actually quite good, considering I hate that kind of music. The lad who sings 'Never been afraid of the highest heights, nor afraid of dying' or something.
    Career taken a bit of a downturn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

brummytom wrote: »
    It's a person, called Elliot Gould or something IIRC.

Thanks Tom. You keep me young :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'm off work thank god plan on headin t town at bout 3 ish
    Never been out on Arthur's day before I know shockin
    What's it gonna be like to get in places?
    Is everywhere in town tickets?

You'll need a ticket to get into a large amount of pubs.
    I would regularly go to the Stag's Head for pints on a Thursday - AFAIK it's ticket only tomorrow.
    Would I buy a ticket to drink there? Would I fukk!!
    I would normally drink in ould dubliner on Fridays or Saturday's and sometimes legends but was told this morning that it'd be tickets
    It's a joke I'm pretty much a regular there and they aren't my local
    Suppose il try it anyway and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Don't forget Moo Day today, celebrating 16 months of Boards posts. Be sure to get to your local for great events like Thanks-Whoring Competitions (the first to get 10 thanks gets a free drink of water) and zany drinking games (drink a shot for every thank, chug a pint for every PM).

Be sure to check you local paper for events in your area, like the nostalgia of a lie performance of the Manic Street Preachers' CDs.

Be sure you make yourself a part of history by taking part in this joyous, 16-monthly celebration of thinks Creamy and Mooey. Why would you not want to go out? It's a great excuse to have a bit of craic with your mates on a Thursday night, unless you're some kind of dry sh*te who'd prefer to stay in and talk to anonymous strangers on the internet :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Don't forget Moo Day today, celebrating 16 months of Boards posts. Be sure to get to your local for great events like Thanks-Whoring Competitions (the first to get 10 thanks gets a free drink of water) and zany drinking games (drink a shot for every thank, chug a pint for every PM).

Be sure to check you local paper for events in your area, like the nostalgia of a lie performance of the Manic Street Preachers' CDs.

Be sure you make yourself a part of history by taking part in this joyous, 16-monthly celebration of thinks Creamy and Mooey. Why would you not want to go out? It's a great excuse to have a bit of craic with your mates on a Thursday night, unless you're some kind of dry sh*te who'd prefer to stay in and talk to anonymous strangers on the internet :rolleyes:.

Will there be free drink there?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Slattsy wrote: »
    Anti craic.

That's why I used the words marketing to monkeys. Someone is only any craic when your sitting on a bar stool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Nope.

Every fkn day in this poxy country is Arthur's day. just some posh twats in diago making a few bucks and whats worse is them twats in dcc gave them the go ahead.

Red Hand wrote: »
    Will there be free drink there?

Oh absolutely!!

Oh absolutely!!

It's free, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

Not one bit excited. Halloween is where it's at.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

I like the concept of painting the town black but am thinking the goth market just isn't there

It's free, is it?

Of course! You'll have to pay for mineral water obviously, but tap water's free.*

*before eight

Of course! You'll have to pay for mineral water obviously, but tap water's free.*

*before eight

And, just to be sure, but you can drink it, can you?

(Is it free?):P

• Advertisement

And, just to be sure, but you can drink it, can you?

(Is it free?):P

You can drink it, in the sense that it's physically possible for an able-bodied person to raise the glass to their lips, and not in the sense that it's advisable from a health perspective to drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I hate guinness so like last year I will be drinking a baby guinness as the toast. Looking forward to it after being cooped up sick for over a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Whats so wrong with people using it as an exuse to meet up.

Also I was talking to the owner of the spot where we usually drink and he said there would complementary Guinness stew and a free pint or two if we called before 6 on Thursday. It wouldn't be happening with out Arthur's day so its even a better idea than I already thought.
    So you'd have normally gone out on a Thursday would you? Those one or two "free" pints will be covered by the charge on the door, nobody wins.
    syklops wrote: »
    To be honest, there is me and about 1 other person on this thread who is in any way looking forward to Arthurs day. The rest is people who want to put it down. Us two aren't the sheep. People like you are.
    I didnt mind it the first day it came around, simply because it had a purpose, an "actual" Arthur's Day, if you will. Now its just dragging on like some rotting corpse behind a lorry.

This eejit is no sheep either. I've hated it by the 2nd year it came around, nothing new added to my day at all.

Witchie wrote: »
    I hate guinness so like last year I will be drinking a baby guinness as the toast. Looking forward to it after being cooped up sick for over a week.

Do people actually toast Arthur at 17.59, like they do in the ads?

Man, that'd be beyond cringeworthy.

I toast Jesus on Christmas. And t'other unnamed prophet at Ramadam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Ach its a bit of craic. A countdown and a "too Arthur" goes up and everyone skulls their drink.

So you'd have normally gone out on a Thursday would you? Those one or two "free" pints will be covered by the charge on the door, nobody wins.

There won't be a charge on the door and even if there was we wouldn't have to pay it as we are good friends with the owners and all the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There was a point made by Brendan Flowers that money would be raised for Charities for Arthur's Day. And other posters raised the point saying that all of the gigs and beers will be for free.

The question I am asking is how is the money raised for Charity if all events and beers are going for free on the day? It is all through Sponsorship's only?

I was watching that TWO Music Arthur's Day gig on RTE 2 HD tonight. I thought IMO your man Craig Doyle did a horrible job hosting horrible music. I watched Jamie Heaslip there at that gig. His reason for being there that he was given off time for the week while playing for Leinster. Did anyone watch Bressie there btw?

Nowadays, I just find the thing a joke just to get free booze for the night.

There was a point made by Brendan Flowers that money would be raised for Charities for Arthur's Day. And other posters raised the point saying that all of the gigs and beers will be for free.

The question I am asking is how is the money raised for Charity if all events and beers are going for free on the day? It is all through Sponsorship's only?

I was watching that TWO Music Arthur's Day gig on RTE 2 HD tonight. I thought IMO your man Craig Doyle did a horrible job hosting horrible music. I watched Jamie Heaslip there at that gig. His reason for being there that he was given off time for the week while playing for Leinster. Did anyone watch Bressie there btw?

Nowadays, I just find the thing a joke just to get free booze for the night.
    Tickets mate most places are tickets only from what I was told so if it was for charity maybe certain percentage from tickets goes to charity
    And I'm sure places would do raffles or somethin aswell
    Dunno tho first time celebratin arthurs day tomoro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

MrCreosote wrote: »
    No? Anyone??

Thought not.

I've got better things to be excited about than a cringy marketing ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I understand people getting upset over it being a drink to excess day, but the stuff about it being a cringe worthy marketing ploy is laughable! It'll never be a patch on Christmas or Valentines' Day! Even the modern incarnation of Santa was invented by Coca Cola FFS and people rarely complain when they see the adverts with trucks coming, it's a almost part of Christmas in the UK and Britain! And Valentines' day is an even bigger marketing ploy!

token101 wrote: »
    I understand people getting upset over it being a drink to excess day, but the stuff about it being a cringe worthy marketing ploy is laughable! It'll never be a patch on Christmas or Valentines' Day! Even the modern incarnation of Santa was invented by Coca Cola FFS and people rarely complain when they see the adverts with trucks coming, it's a part of almost Christmas in the UK and Britain! And Valentines' day is an even bigger marketing ploy!
    Good post yup Santa Claus was actually in a green suit and coca cola changed
    Sure look at st Patrick's day
    Biggest day of the year for drinkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

People are worse to celabrate it, load of crap but then there is loads of sheep out there that will follow it Arthurs day my ass who they kidding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Good post yup Santa Claus was actually in a green suit and coca cola changed
    Sure look at st Patrick's day
    Biggest day of the year for drinkin

He looks better in red though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭chrissb7

I don't get it really.I think the whole thing reeks of desperation.People who have an excuse to get collapsing drunk and call it plausible because its such and such day.Do what you want when you want ya bunch of sheep.Just don't expect me to excuse the fights,the blood,the mess and general trouble that comes with such a day because of your pathetic excuse.That said I can get messy myself and I think it can just happen in the spirit of the occasion.But downing pints of guinness and puking up can only make me laugh and think how pathetic and desperate people are to have "fun" on such a forced occasion. Anyway enjoy your day but please, don't try and get in the "spirit" of things by wrecking yourself.You're your own person and if you ain't feeling it then don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Against The Grain on Wexford Street are doing free pints of Dark Arts (brewed by an actual Irish brewery) tomorrow at 17:59.Lovely stuff it is too!

Not sure if The Brew Dock are doing the same thing,only saw it on ATG's Facebook tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

About as excited if it were Lidl Day or Tesco Day. Shameless self-serving corporate advertising.

They should call it what it actually is: Diageo Day.

while we're at it we can Rename St Patricks day to "Non Irish Saint from an Oppressive Damaging Cult Day", has a nice ring to it actually...

At least Arthur's day celebrates an Irish product rather than the drivel of Rome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Happy Arthurs Day everybody! Wohoo!

To make it even more epic, Czech prohibition has been relaxed. High five!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

while we're at it we can Rename St Patricks day to "Non Irish Saint from an Oppressive Damaging Cult Day", has a nice ring to it actually...

At least Arthur's day celebrates an Irish product rather than the drivel of Rome

Kind of: The company had its headquarters in London from 1932 onwards. It merged with Grand Metropolitan plc in 1997 and is now part of the multinational alcohol conglomerate Diageo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Today is gonna be a good day :-)

Need to pick what boozer I'm scooping in though. Tough decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Against The Grain on Wexford Street are doing free pints of Dark Arts (brewed by an actual Irish brewery) tomorrow at 17:59.Lovely stuff it is too!

That's where I'll be so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Witchie wrote: »
    Ach its a bit of craic. A countdown and a "too Arthur" goes up and everyone skulls their drink.

God that's shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

That's where I'll be so.

Don't do it! That post was just a big marketing scam for Dark Arts.

All the sheep will be in Against the Grain drinking their Dark Arts stout!

I prefer the Golden Ale tbh. Not a fan of stout really. :pac:

T-minus 5 hours to the high stool and some lovey Guinness!! Happy Arthur's day :D

Lunchtime pints :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

marco_polo wrote: »
    If you don't like people making sweeping generalisations about you then perhaps you shouldn't make them about others?

I didn't make any sweeping generalisations???

I making the point that I find Arthur's day as just a big corporation marketing to monkeys... this isn't generalisation this is fact!

Monkeys who will gladly change their plans on a Thursday night because a big corporation told them it's Arthur's day The poster earlier stated he had changed his plans on Thursday night because it's Arthur's Day!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

got my Mika ticket..

fitting soundtrack to the black stuff I think him; n Texas were more than available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Seriously do we really need any more excuses for a piss up here in Ireland? total rubbish ..sure money to be made...

What a great night. Dublin was buzzing last night, great atmosphere.
    And not dying today either - result.

Good craic around Cork last night, place was wedged. Sick as a pig today though I've yet to make an appearance in work though I'd say there are a lot in the same boat, I will sneak in after a bit :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement