Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotfile Premium Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

If/when you change, go to Fileserve...Thats where most links are or are @ least on a par with hotfile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

@Luckycharms, you downloaded from hotfile with Mozilla => one connection per file. with the RS manager, i'd say that multiple connections are set up per file allowing a faster download.

though i've gotten faster speeds with MU than the screengrab posted. lately, i've gotten between 2 and 3 MB/s with MU. at first i thought it was a mistake but it's been consistent and only 5 or 6 of my last few downloads have been less than a meg download (i'd download maybe 20-30 files a week) and this has been happening since the beginning of september.
    just be worth exploring downloading a few files with MU free to see what kind of speeds ye get. can't say that i've had any problem finding MU links for content, around on par with hotfile and fileserve, i'd say :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

how are peoples speeds today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Getting shocking speeds with HF today. Im using flashget. Have UPC 15MB. Have three files downloading at the moment. I seem to be able to download one part from a set of link at a decent speed, the rest are barely even downloading. Seems suspect. Move onto the next set of links and same thing happens, one part downloads fine then other parts die :mad:

Three files on HF dling at

Have three downloading now from RS just out of curiousity and three of them going att around 400.00 each

• Registered Users Posts: 17 redbull1985

im getting mixed speeds from 500kbs to 20kbs which the latter is more common 9/10 and its stressing me out.
    the damn free service is faster overall.
    ive 3mb upc broadband which is extremely fast.
    had rapidshare before which used my top speed, moved to hotfile as they seemed to be the uploaders prefered choice these days rapidshare will be getting my cash next time.
    ive emailed them and expect to be sitting in a long queue

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

jeffk wrote: »
    I suppose the backlash from rapdishare falling apart has finally caught up on their servers.
    Guys can some please explain to me - or link me up - on what happened with the Rapidshare backlash? I used to use Rapidsahre but stopped just before this happened, I never really heard what happened though. Where did most people go after? If someone was setting up a new account now, which service is the best to choose? Will Hotfile speeds get back to normal or is it better to go with someone else. If all the links out there are with hotfile, not much point in going to a new service if there are not enough files out there to download...

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys can some please explain to me - or link me up - on what happened with the Rapidshare backlash? I used to use Rapidsahre but stopped just before this happened, I never really heard what happened though. Where did most people go after? If someone was setting up a new account now, which service is the best to choose? Will Hotfile speeds get back to normal or is it better to go with someone else. If all the links out there are with hotfile, not much point in going to a new service if there are not enough files out there to download...
    Link to original thread about changes in Rapidshare
    They changed their pricing structure and introduced "Rapids" as a currency for downloading, and stopped rewarding people for uploading. That pissed off the uploaders who could sustain their storage by uploading material with Collector's accounts, so all the uploaders left RS and most moved to Hotfile afaik. They changed the pricing structure 2 or 3 times since then, and though some people thought it was good value with the initial change, somehow they bollixed that up by changing it again, making it dearer for users.

so now most uploaders have gone to HF or FileServe for premium accounts. people seem to be having speed troubles with HF recently (as low as a few kilobytes/second) but users here seem to be faster with FileServe.
    i don't have enough money for premium accounts but i personally find MegaUpload to have top-notch speeds as a free user (2-3MB[s most times) but i can't have multiple connections or multiple files downloading at the same time. I have noticed a rise in FS links recently but i haven't had any bother finding links for any file host though RS links have declined but they're still around if you know where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Move to Usenet, Astraweb does 180Gb for $25 with no time limit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Inquitus wrote: »
    Move to Usenet, Astraweb does 180Gb for $25 with no time limit.
    Cool yeah I've heard Newgroups are the way to go. Is there anything else required apart from this Astraweb subscription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Zascar wrote: »
    Cool yeah I've heard Newgroups are the way to go. Is there anything else required apart from this Astraweb subscription?

You also need a sub at an indexing site, NZBmatrix is 10yoyos for 10 years or newzbin is £6.50 for 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Still happening today, very suspect goings on. It will download certain parts at good speeds then the last part which i need a 1kbps or less.Its just pissing me off at this stage, waiting on about six files to unrar six different things and they are going at 1kbps or less. WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

Slunk wrote: »
    Still happening today, very suspect goings on. It will download certain parts at good speeds then the last part which i need a 1kbps or less.Its just pissing me off at this stage, waiting on about six files to unrar six different things and they are going at 1kbps or less. WTF

exact same here. hope it gets fixed soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Link to original thread about changes in Rapidshare
    They changed their pricing structure and introduced "Rapids" as a currency for downloading, and stopped rewarding people for uploading. That pissed off the uploaders who could sustain their storage by uploading material with Collector's accounts, so all the uploaders left RS and most moved to Hotfile afaik. They changed the pricing structure 2 or 3 times since then, and though some people thought it was good value with the initial change, somehow they bollixed that up by changing it again, making it dearer for users.

so now most uploaders have gone to HF or FileServe for premium accounts. people seem to be having speed troubles with HF recently (as low as a few kilobytes/second) but users here seem to be faster with FileServe.
    i don't have enough money for premium accounts but i personally find MegaUpload to have top-notch speeds as a free user (2-3MB[s most times) but i can't have multiple connections or multiple files downloading at the same time. I have noticed a rise in FS links recently but i haven't had any bother finding links for any file host though RS links have declined but they're still around if you know where to look.

Keeping in Mind that most went to Hotfile. So its somewhat understandable that their servers have been put under a large amount of strain. Its also possible that due to location and the amount of traffic that has suddenly appeared that the ISP peering links between continents are the ones throttling the connection. If people decide to do a mass exodus from Hotfile, your going to have the same problem.

And thats why massively distributed file sharing was the answer and still is the answer. Private torrent sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

And thats why massively distributed file sharing was the answer and still is the answer. Private torrent sites?

Massively distributed file sharing has its own pro's and con's. Private hoster's are better in my view after weighing up the options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Olaf

I tried to buy a hotfile and fileserve premium account with paypal, but it says I need to have a credit or debit card linked to my account. Is there any way to buy with paypal without having a credit/debit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭satchman

I should have actually read this post earlier. My RS account was up today so decided to change to HF as the majority of movies etc. seem to be using HF links. And for only €25 for 6 months of unlimited downloading this seemed too good to pass up.

Getting crappy speeds as everyone else has mentioned. So annoyed!! Only good thing is that if I download 5-6 files simultaneously (through Chrome) i'm getting an overall dl speed that macthes my 8Mbit connection.

Hope they sort this out soon though coz I really don't want to go back to RS, I hate their new Rapids system, absolute rip-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is UPC throttling Hotfile do you think? Ive been stuck on about 50kb/s per file for the past few days, downloaded Winzip a while ago and it came down at 1.5 Mb/s, how would you know if it was Hotfile or UPC? Im in Galway City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

Major slowdown on hotfile for me through UPC. Was fast up to 2 days ago (though never as fast as RS). Getting 50-120k. RS still as fast as ever 1.5MB. Perhaps throttling going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

yeah its absolute BS. i just purchased a few days ago. can anyone tell me if online subscriptions, such as hotfile, can be returned within one week of purchase, like goods bought online? or indeed does anyone that isnt on upc wish to swap/purchase my hotfile a/c, mite switch to fs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Same here, very slow on hotfile and upc...suspicous

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Major slowdown on hotfile for me through UPC. Was fast up to 2 days ago (though never as fast as RS). Getting 50-120k. RS still as fast as ever 1.5MB. Perhaps throttling going on?

On another forum I frequent many people are having problems with Hotfile, and their from the UK, other countrys etc so it is more than likely a hotfile problem, UPC told me over the phone they do not throttle, and I spoke to two different reps different times and was told this, fileserve seems to work fine...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Same here, UPC and Hotfile, rarely getting over 100 kb/s!
    Rapidshare flying through

Just checked, and it seems a little faster today. max about 250kbps. Seem to get similar bandwidth with 3 parallel downloads running. Could be back to normal maybe..

slowed down again. back to 130k per file. If it continues will stop my subscription....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 morow

Same problem with Hotfile, Fileserve or Megaupload on UPC. I just recently switch from Eircom to UPC and im getting on single file approx 100 kb/s from HF , FS or MU. RS is going 1.5 MB/s. On Eircom i never had problem with HF,FS or MU. Very disappointed , i thought on UPC i will fly 1.5 MB/s.

Id love to get a refund and go with fileserve, but then the same might happen with their speeds.

I would love to know how come there wasn't speed issues on rapdishare premium, was it as simple as they reinvested in bandwidth etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Same here, UPC and Hotfile, rarely getting over 100 kb/s!
    Rapidshare flying through

same as

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Have Rapidshare and Hotfile on Eircom and both will always max out the connection no slowness at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 murph57

I have a 30Meg UPC broadband connection and have been experiencing slow speeds from Hotfile avg 50k per file, Rapidshare is fine 2.5MB avg. I wanted to find out if it was UPC or Hotfile, so I did a download test from my work connection and found (using the same file) it came down really quickly and the speed was not throttled from Hotfile. The evidence definitely points to UPC, why, is another question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Whenever i download from Hotfile it normally maxes out my connection ( im with Smart) It was the same with Rapidshare. Good chance that it is something to do with UPC

murph57 wrote: »
    I have a 30Meg UPC broadband connection and have been experiencing slow speeds from Hotfile avg 50k per file, Rapidshare is fine 2.5MB avg. I wanted to find out if it was UPC or Hotfile, so I did a download test from my work connection and found (using the same file) it came down really quickly and the speed was not throttled from Hotfile. The evidence definitely points to UPC, why, is another question.

Do UPC have download limits? If not then a person with a UPC connection and a hotfile account could download 24/7-365 as Hotfile is unlimited leading to congestion on their network, a sliding scale throttling system by them would be more appropriate where if a user downloads eg. 50GB from Hotfile in a month then their Hotfile speed gets throttled.

Im on Eircom and unless I download three or more files @ once im on slow speeds also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

i have 15 mb upc and my neighbour has 8 mb when i download with upc i can't get over maybe 100kb per file but when i download of my neighbours i get full wack with hotfile

• Registered Users Posts: 8 karmazyn

seems to be fine now. got 2-2.5 mbytes/s. it's early in the morning though. we'll see how it is around 6-7pm

Is there anyway to cancel and get a paypal refund??
    Ive tried contacting them on the speed issue to no reply and am sick of getting speeds similar to free users.

Just tried the general question and asked what do I have to do to get a refund. Getting 5-6mb on filserve, whereas the same file on hotfile was less than 1mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Worked great again last night for me! Strange one

back to normal now..

Yep, tearing along now, I was worried there for a while.

• Advertisement

Lets hope their speeds continue, because their customer care is using the ignore and they will go away approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

is anyone else still having these problems on upc?

Mine were bad for a week or two after this thread resurfaced but they've been perfect since, 2 GB/s in Galway.

still getting intermittent speeds, sometimes slow, sometimes normal. Still getting 2MB+ speeds from RS - pity there is less and less content there!
    Thinking about changing to another host after this month is up. Any suggestions? Filesonic\Fileserve\Uploaded etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 morow

its not worth to change the host, I have HF, FSonic, FServe, Mupload, its all same, getting low speeds. Only RS is going full speed, unfortunately.

as a free user, I've been getting great speeds with MU up on 4MB/s :eek: filesonic and fileserve has been consisent with speeds (300-400KB/s) and all three have plenty of links. don't touch hotfile anymore as it's just not fast enough compared to the others and not being able to resume downloads is a pain

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

FileServe is the most consistent after Rapidshare, and has decent pricing too.

Hotfile is a joke.

Fileserve is doing the business for me. But ive noticed more filesonic links appearing.

You would want to buy some general account that covers all file hosting sites(if such a service exists), it seems they change very often.

jeffk wrote: »
    Fileserve is doing the business for me. But ive noticed more filesonic links appearing.

You would want to buy some general account that covers all file hosting sites(if such a service exists), it seems they change very often.
    there does exist some.
    myDownloader - doesn't have Fileserve though. 250mb trial
    leechpack - don't know what it's like, no trial period to test it.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    there does exist some.
    myDownloader - doesn't have Fileserve though. 250mb trial
    leechpack - don't know what it's like, no trial period to test it.

Now that you mention it I do remember one, but it was an ad on a site, so I thought that might be dodgy.

Looking @ the pricing, your limited to 1TB of bandwidth for a year and thats around the same price for unlimited on most file hosting sites.

Good idea all the same!

This must a ISP issue, I have both Hotfile and Rapidshare and am currently on a months sub to Filesonic. I find none of them gives me any speed issues on Eircom with Flashget, they all max out what I get from my ISP.

I have also used Deposit Files, Fileserve and another host called Oron in the past and really only ever found Fileserve as a troublesome one in that I could ever get it to work with flashget, they all gave pretty decent speeds except Deposit files and the only reason I tried any of them was I couldn't find the stuff I wanted on the other hosts.

Fileserve and Flashget hate each other and I had to do everything through the web interface until I actually got to the load link and then downloaded it via firefox.

Hotfile is still the best and Rapidshare would be miles ahead if they hadn't started messing around with limits and changing account types in 2010, which drove those in the scene mental and alot of people then stopped uploading to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement