Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour de France Stage 5 – July 9th, Ypres - Arenberg **Unmasked Spoilers**

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Greg Van Avermaet
    retalivity wrote: »
    Not really, saxo don't seem to care about the team classification or the 2nd or 3rd rider placings, its all about Bertie.
    Majka and Rodgers are well down too
    Oh yeah I know, it was a disaster losing so much time for Alberto.

Bad for Saxo in terms of their individual riders performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Chris Froome
    I put my money where my mouth was, thanks very much Boom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

While I agree that Wiggo should have been in the team I don't think Sky are in all that bad shape with Porte as their leader.

He has long been waiting in the wings and could probably already be a team leader with a smaller team, he has one Paris-Nice as team leader, he can time trial and he will go ok in the mountains. Coupled with that he has a small cushion over contador I think he will make the race interesting along with Talansky, Van Garderan and Kwiatowski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Alexander Kristoff
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Oh yeah I know, it was a disaster losing so much time for Alberto.

Bad for Saxo in terms of their individual riders performances.

Saxo rode hard to reduce the gap initially without any help from Movistar or BMC ...and Nico & Rodgers did alot of work ...but I think they blew

Greg Lemond put it correctly ...if you are chasing you expend more energy that those in the front groups on wet &cobbles

It seemed to me Saxo were going ok and then Alberto began to slow down so they waited for him....so then rode to get back but couldn't close the gap...maybe it was the wind also

I am sure Nico & Rodgers would have been higher up but for that ...
    However it doesn't matter ...only that Contador is ok and can begin the fight back

Alexander Kristoff
    I am not a fan of Richie Porte for GC ...ye she can climb and is not a bad TTer
    However he is not consistent enough in a 3 week tour

and we still have 2.5 weeks to go

MPFG wrote: »
    I am not a fan of Richie Porte for GC ...ye she can climb and is not a bad TTer
    However he is not consistent enough in a 3 week tour

and we still have 2.5 weeks to go

He's never had to be consistent, fair enough he went missing on one stage last year but that was aftrr putting in a mammoth shift the day before for Froome. Sky are loaded with good climbers and as a protected rider I think he will go ok. Also Sky probably didn't bring Wiggo knowing that Porte is in good enough shape to be deputy leader, in my opinion probably better shape than wiggo who is noticeably heavier than the year he won the tour so maybe Porte is the better choice anyway.

I for one am looking forward to finding out, should be a good tour

Alexander Kristoff
    Nico crashed ....so there ended the mystery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Few extra handful of raisins in the porridge of the Astana lads this morning. Fantastic stage mind. Karma settled a couple of debts with Froomey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Michal Kwiatkowski
    So...Froome vs. Quintana in the Vuelta?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Peter Sagan

Froome v Horner. It'll be a charisma-fest

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Didnt see todays stage yet but im gutted that froome is out.
    For a a while now ive been longing to see Contador,Nibali and Froome in a scrap while all 3 were in good form.
    With Nibali looking like hes coming into form and the form we knew the other two had from the Dauphine it was all set up to be epic.
    I didnt check yet but how are things for Horner,Valverde and Rodriguez, hopefully one or all three can hit form and get in the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I was surprised to see Nibali and Fuglsang riding away from Cancellara and Sagan so easily today.

Michal Kwiatkowski
    Dcully wrote: »
    Didnt see todays stage yet but im gutted that froome is out.
    For a a while now ive been longing to see Contador,Nibali and Froome in a scrap while all 3 were in good form.
    With Nibali looking like hes coming into form and the form we knew the other two had from the Dauphine it was all set up to be epic.
    I didnt check yet but how are things for Horner,Valverde and Rodriguez, hopefully one or all three can hit form and get in the mix.

Valverde is quite well placed in 10th overall, 2'11 down. Horner is just over 4 minutes down, I doubt he'll be getting involved. Rodriguez is still not fully recovered from broken ribs, he'll be aiming for stages later in the tour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Peter Sagan
    Rui Costa?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Fantastic stage. It has brought a significant number into the reckoning (Talansky and Kwiatosky). Bertie has to attack - but he was going to have to do that anyway.
    Would have preferred from to lose time as opposed to crash out. It would have made for a more interesting race.
    Of the riders left all are pure racers - even the consummate wheelsucker Valverde.
    At this stage maybe Sagan could podium - who knows. Probably stretching that a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Greg Van Avermaet
    Pa8301 wrote: »
    I was surprised to see Nibali and Fuglsang riding away from Cancellara and Sagan so easily today.

Didn't see it but how did that happen. Surely it wasn't that they just couldn't hold the wheel?

pelevin wrote: »
    Didn't see it but how did that happen. Surely it wasn't that they just couldn't hold the wheel?

It kinda was really.

I'm telling ya, extra raisins in the porridge. Works every time.

Greg Van Avermaet

I think there's a few others too who would be looking to be in the mix like Rodriguez & Contador. . . . And eh . . . Chris Horner.

• Advertisement

Greg Van Avermaet
    Itziger wrote: »
    It kinda was really.

I'm telling ya, extra raisins in the porridge. Works every time.

As I said I didn't see it but just did a search & Sagan describes it as:

"I was riding a little bit too far behind with Cancellara when an Omega Pharma-Quick Step rider let a bit of a gap in front of us and we never managed to make it back to the front of the race. I guess this is part of a learning process and I've gained some experience in that mistake.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Peter Sagan
    pelevin wrote: »
    I think there's a few others too who would be looking to be in the mix like Rodriguez & Contador.

If Contador wins the Tour I doubt he'll race the Vuelta.... Bertie might take a stab at all three Grand Tours next year as it's always been his dream but the Giro/Vuelta next year look likely if he wins the Tour this year... Purito is a cert for the Vuelta as is Valverde I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

MPFG wrote: »
    However it doesn't matter ...only that Contador is ok and can begin the fight back

How difficult is it to close a 2-3 minute gap over 2.5 weeks? Have previous winners had to chase gaps this big?

Peter Sagan
    outfox wrote: »
    How difficult is it to close a 2-3 minute gap over 2.5 weeks? Have previous winners had to chase gaps this big?

If Nibali is in Giro 13 form is might be very hard to claw back anything significant but there is no better man try it than Contador. He should get at least half a minute back from the TT and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a surprise attack in the next few days to get 20-30 seconds more back like he did last year....if he is in the great form that he has been all year he can drop Nibali like a stone and gain a minute plus in one stage....Nibbles appears very strong, although he might be showing his cards too soon...very hard to keep up that level of cycling for an entire tour. I'm still confident Contador will do it, anything can happen though

Alexander Kristoff

Quintana did it in the Giro a few weeks ago

it is very possible ....It s cycling and anything can happen :)

That gap could be eradicated in one good day in the mountains so it is all still to play for

• Advertisement

Well, it depends on whether the leader has a very strong team, that makes attacking harder for the rivals and whether say, there's a lot of TT miles and the leader is a strong TTer.

Nibali is looking strong obviously and the team did super work today but you'd hardly say the Tour is over after 4 days!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

One bad day and its all over and with 16 odd days to go a lot can happen.

Given what has to come and the form of bother riders and their teams I'd still stick with Bertie over Nibali. He'll attack like he did in Dauphine and make up a lot of time in one or more of the mountain stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

ha the vuelta good be a cracking race at this rate with Quintana Froome and Contador. Nibali is as short as 10/11 now for the tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

I rather fancy the Shark to hold of Contador & Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tweet from nico

Crashed 25k to go;( , sorry could not do more to help in finish @albertocontador @tinkoff_saxo #folllowingcontador #

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Stages like todays make for fantastic images that will live on for years (eg 2010 Giro over the Strade Bianche). There are some great shots over on Steephill.tv

http://www.steephill.tv/2014/tour-de-france/photos/stage-05/

This is one...........Valverde followed by Contador followed by vangarderen

296-IMG_0360.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What happened to QuickStep today? They had 3 in the Nibali group with 20k to go, including two very good gallopers, Renshaw and Trentin. Coverage switched to the lead group and when it came back none in the group! WTF? Of all teams I was surprised to see them missout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Diarmuid wrote: »
    What happened to QuickStep today? They had 3 in the Nibali group with 20k to go, including two very good gallopers, Renshaw and Trentin. Coverage switched to the lead group and when it came back none in the group! WTF? Of all teams I was surprised to see them missout

Kwiatkowski punctured

Peter Sagan
    Apparently Contador didn't "bonk" today but had a mechanical... I am slightly sceptical myself even in my avid support of Bertie but it was a tough day for everyone... Nibbles has some team behind him though and truly is shark like.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mechanical-hinders-contador-at-tour-de-france

Michal Kwiatkowski
    Ha, 17 votes for Boom, would ye go way outta that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Could you explain please?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Niki Terpstra
    Could you explain please?

i think Darkglasses may be suggesting that some people voted after the stage was over??

Michal Kwiatkowski
    seany15 wrote: »
    i think Darkglasses may be suggesting that some people voted after the stage was over??

I most certainly am :)

Peter Sagan
    Speaking of poll results, just saw Chava's name there...haven't watched every stage in it's entirety but has he been prominent at all with his trademark breaks? Bit early yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Niki Terpstra
    Speaking of poll results, just saw Chava's name there...haven't watched every stage in it's entirety but has he been prominent at all with his trademark breaks? Bit early yet?

been fortunate enough to see most of all stages bar stage 3, and can't honestly recall even hearing his name mentioned!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Michal Kwiatkowski
    I most certainly am :)

correct

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

19 n0w!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Peter Sagan

19 now!!

edit: just saw above post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

letape wrote: »
    19 now!!

edit: just saw above post!

Keep the poll open. It's like the did he didn't he dope poll in the lancelot thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Arnaud Demare
    seany15 wrote: »

I thought speculation about cheating was banned?

Am I backseat modding a mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Great stage - but nothing about it was normal-entertaining none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

And Boom goes Froome, unreal day, hell of the North is most certainly was !

Boom's Epic day out on Strava

Alexander Kristoff
    Just listening to the Eurosport highlights (was watching ITV)

Have to laugh at Kelly's hushed tones to underline the difficulty of the race :D

Michal Kwiatkowski
    http://cyclocosm.com/2014/07/how-the-race-was-won-tour-de-france-2014-stage-5/

Not to take anything away from Nibali's ride, but Contador really was poor yesterday. Talansky, Porte, van den Broeck etc. all should have attacked him early like Nibali did. There was huge gains to be made, great opportunism by Nibali.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Not to take anything away from Nibali's ride, but Contador really was poor yesterday. Talansky, Porte, van den Broeck etc. all should have attacked him early like Nibali did. There was huge gains to be made, great opportunism by Nibali.

sure everyone should have attacked Contador its not like they were cycling in torrential rain over pave or anything like that :rolleyes:

If Nibali had binned himself people would be sitting here saying it was a stupid move to have gone so hard on the cobbles for one days gains in those conditions in a GT.

It was a great ride by Nibali, oppurtunistic, but a risky ride and he got away with it. At one stage his leadout man took a fall and Nibs had to cycle over him.

Contador I thought played a good game, he lost some team support, didnt take to the conditions very well, limited his losses without jeopardising himself completely , theres alot of racing left.

Advertisement