Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Influential Woman of the week..

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Two of mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmeline_Pankhurst

With out these two women and those who supported them women would not be able to vote, one did so in Britain and the other in the USA.

Both were imprisoned for demonstrating, went on hunger strike and were force feed and suffered other humiliations.

They were called iron jawed angels.

http://www.hbo.com/films/ironjawedangels/

First of all, I would have thought that Mary Wollostonecraft did more for women's suffrage than Emmeline Pankhurst because Wollostonecraft was the first significant thinker to argue for women's suffrage whereas Pankhurst was just a radical who threw herself in front of the english king's horse.

Second of all, while I've never heard of Alice Paul, surely Woodrow Wilson is misrepresented in that article in that it suggests that he bowed to political pressure from the suffragettes. Is it not farer to say that women's suffrage was granted as a cynical political ploy on his part to increase the democratic vote? Not exactly a noble motivation I know, but in terms of American politics the suffragettes played a very small role.

Finally, what do those two videos have to do with Pankhurst?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Jules wrote: »
    How about our 7th President - Mary Robinson...

I'll know what i think of her and what she did for women of this country, this country in general and also in her role as UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

So what do you guys think of her as a woman of influence?

This post seems to have gone unanswered for a whole year, which is a shame.

Mary Robinson is a great person and did more for Ireland than any other president. However, because she advocated human rights as opposed to women's rights, she seems to have been sadly overlooked on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

yes she is an advocate for human rights but initally she did a lot of womens rights in this country. And this being a forum aimed mainly at women thats what i have focused on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what about countess marcievicz? man i hate attempting to spell that one, but she was a pretty interesting chick. never studied her specifically, but did do my history special topic during her era, and she did prop up again. seemed to have been a very opinionated, educated, strong woman. fought for what she believed in. might not have specifically been women's rights, but certainly put herslef out there for her ideals, and her political and social beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Second of all, while I've never heard of Alice Paul, surely Woodrow Wilson is misrepresented in that article in that it suggests that he bowed to political pressure from the suffragettes. Is it not farer to say that women's suffrage was granted as a cynical political ploy on his part to increase the democratic vote? Not exactly a noble motivation I know, but in terms of American politics the suffragettes played a very small role.

No politician wants to increase the franchise. Besides why do you assume that women would vote Democratic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Mary Harney FTW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

what about countess marcievicz? man i hate attempting to spell that one, but she was a pretty interesting chick. never studied her specifically, but did do my history special topic during her era, and she did prop up again. seemed to have been a very opinionated, educated, strong woman. fought for what she believed in. might not have specifically been women's rights, but certainly put herslef out there for her ideals, and her political and social beliefs.

Countess Markiewicz FTW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Markiewicz
    Constance Georgine Markiewicz, Countess Markiewicz (née Gore-Booth; 4 February 1868 – 15 July 1927), was an Irish Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil politician, revolutionary nationalist and suffragette. She was the first woman elected to the British House of Commons, though she did not take her seat and along with the other Sinn Féin TDs formed the first Dáil Éireann. She was also the first woman in Europe to hold a cabinet position (Minister of Labour of the Irish Republic, 1919–1922).

First of all, I would have thought that Mary Wollostonecraft did more for women's suffrage than Emmeline Pankhurst because Wollostonecraft was the first significant thinker to argue for women's suffrage whereas Pankhurst was just a radical who threw herself in front of the english king's horse.

The thread is for posters to post about women they think made a difference and inspired them.
    Second of all, while I've never heard of Alice Paul,

Maybe you shoudl do some reading so
    surely Woodrow Wilson is misrepresented in that article in that it suggests that he bowed to political pressure from the suffragettes. Is it not farer to say that women's suffrage was granted as a cynical political ploy on his part to increase the democratic vote? Not exactly a noble motivation I know, but in terms of American politics the suffragettes played a very small role.

Actually the political opinion only shifted in favour of the suffragettes after it came out the horrendous conditions that the women who were unconstitutionally arrested also post world war 1 russia and germany had given women the vote and those two combined made Wilson give in.
    Finally, what do those two videos have to do with Pankhurst?

There hasn't be a film made about suffrage in Britain but Pankhurt was also arrested, went on hunger strike and was force feed.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Mary Harney FTW :D

While I can not ignore her historic place as woman who was party leader and the first to be An Tánaiste I don't have a lot of time for her personally or her politics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Any votes for the two Rosas: Rosa Luxembourg and Rosa Parks yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BBC news magazine do a regular "Valley Girls" feature on influential women in the technology sector e.g. Padma Warrior of Cisco

As I work in IT I find the articles interesting to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The person who I admire most this week is Pamela Izevbekhai,a Nigerian women who fled to Ireland in order to protect the lives of her family.

Her first daughter,Elizabeth, bled to death in 2005 following a FGM procedure. To protect her other two daughters, Jemima and Naomi, she fled to Ireland.However, her and her family face deportation any day now,with her two daughters facing almost certain FGM and Pamela, probably worse, If she returns to Nigeria.
    I have great admiration for this articulate and loving women who endangers her life more and more each day as she speaks out to try and save the lives of her two daughters.

This is a short documentary on her: *WARNING: While there are no disturbing images, the descriptions of FGM are not pleasant:* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yk_me_60NQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

panda100 wrote: »
    The person who I admire most this week is Pamela Izevbekhai,a Nigerian women who fled to Ireland in order to protect the lives of her family.

Her first daughter,Elizabeth, bled to death in 2005 following a FGM procedure. To protect her other two daughters, Jemima and Naomi, she fled to Ireland.However, her and her family face deportation any day now,with her two daughters facing almost certain FGM and Pamela, probably worse, If she returns to Nigeria.
    I have great admiration for this articulate and loving women who endangers her life more and more each day as she speaks out to try and save the lives of her two daughters.

This is a short documentary on her: *WARNING: While there are no disturbing images, the descriptions of FGM are not pleasant:* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yk_me_60NQ
    What, no part of Nigeria is safe, so she "fled" to a country to which there are no direct flights from Nigeria?

Advertisement