Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

dieselbug wrote: »
    Vizzy wrote: »
    If these horses are kept in private fields( a lot of time with the blessing of the owner) then the Council have no role to play, in fact it would be illegal for the Council to trespass on private land.
    If horses are kept on the side of the road then the Council can seize them, and have done so on numerous occasions. The owner then needs to pay a hefty price to get them back, but all the horses in the current incident were on private land.

But if it was brought to their attention as it apparently it may have been, don't they have, at least a moral obligation to bring it to the attention of the relevant authorities as all of us do.

Surely it's not acceptable to have knowledge of this unfortunate situation and not act on it.

When dealing with the owners of those misfortunate animals, everyone not just welfare officials, tend to tread very carefully. ‘Tis the culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

But if it was brought to their attention as it apparently it may have been, don't they have, at least a moral obligation to bring it to the attention of the relevant authorities as all of us do.

Surely it's not acceptable to have knowledge of this unfortunate situation and not act on it.

Agree that the Council should have brought this to the attention of the relevant authorities.
    Don't know about this case in particular but in previous cases the Council would have notified Dept of Agriculture(I think) who look after cuellty to animals.
    From what I have read about this case, it only came to light when some of the animal corpses were found by somebody out walking. Unfortunately, Irish social culture generally is not to report these things for fear of "getting involved".
    What I was responding to really was "When are the Council going to get off their collective holes and start taking horses away that are left in fields and in the side of the road". Typical of some, blame the Council for everything !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

If these horses are kept in private fields( a lot of time with the blessing of the owner) then the Council have no role to play, in fact it would be illegal for the Council to trespass on private land
    Not so. An authorised officer authorised by local authority can enter private land. so can the garda and the gardai can bring with them anyone they deem necessary to perform their duties

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

F34 wrote: »
    This is sickening:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/councillor-reduced-to-tears-in-field-of-dead-horses-and-a-starving-foal-36423557.html

When are the Council going to get off their collective holes and start taking horses away that are left in fields and in the side of the road. Do they really fear the ethnic minority that own them that much?

Well according to this Nationalist article
    they collected 40 horses in the first 8 months of 2016, at a cost of €40,000 of taxpayers money. Call it €60k for the year. I thought I had seen a figure of over €100k for previous years. Limerick council have typically been spending €500-600k every year mostly disposing of these maltreated horses.

So they are being dealt with at times, where horses are accessible and not on private land. Costing the rest of us a packet though!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Disgraceful waste of public money. I have to say that the calendars fit on the fridge grand....once all the vital information is cut off. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/revealed-two-tds-used-dil-facilities-to-print-more-than-100000-calendars-for-constituents-36422598.html

nearly as bad as handouts to farmers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SnitchenBubs

Anyone no of a good place to buy a garden shed in Clonmel for a reasonable price?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭All in all

Anyone no of a good place to buy a garden shed in Clonmel for a reasonable price?

Depends what you are after but pollards on the dungarvan rd across from applegreen would be worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Try Commeragh Service Station on the Waterford Road

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Depends what you're after there's the two already mentioned and also the garden centre in Glenconner

Thanks for the suggestions I wasn't sure of where to look apart from woodies, I'll give those places a look into.

Looking for a timber shed, around 8ft x 8ft or something in or around that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Looking for a timber shed, around 8ft x 8ft or something in or around that.

Pollards are your best bet so. They have a Facebook page if you're on that

Does anyone know who is going to publish the new paper in Clonmel. i am told it will be sold on the street like the big issue but is not a homeless thing

The last few times I was in town,I saw some work going on inside the Piper Inn on upper Gladstone street..Anyone heard any news of it opening again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

The last few times I was in town,I saw some work going on inside the Piper Inn on upper Gladstone street..Anyone heard any news of it opening again?

Yeah it’s open again with Pollards the name above the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Rant switch on/

In the Showgrounds shopping centre, what's the story about traffic insisting on queueing for the low level car park when there are loads of spaces in the upper level. Are ye afraid of going up the ramp? I've seen drivers insist on trying to enter that ground car park even though the (infinitely patient) security guy has put cones up to indicate that it's full

Rant off/

By the way, before Christmas I noticed a car had been clamped there. Mrs CML being of a curious nature asked the security guy what was the story. Apparently the driver had "gone off on his holidays" because it had been there for three days.

If you own a silver Avensis and have come back from Tenerife or whatever and found your car clamped, you should have read the large signs that say parking is free for three hours only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

cml387 wrote: »
    Rant switch on/

In the Showgrounds shopping centre, what's the story about traffic insisting on queueing for the low level car park when there are loads of spaces in the upper level. Are ye afraid of going up the ramp? I've seen drivers insist on trying to enter that ground car park even though the (infinitely patient) security guy has put cones up to indicate that it's full

Rant off/

By the way, before Christmas I noticed a car had been clamped there. Mrs CML being of a curious nature asked the security guy what was the story. Apparently the driver had "gone off on his holidays" because it had been there for three days.

If you own a silver Avensis and have come back from Tenerife or whatever and found your car clamped, you should have read the large signs that say parking is free for three hours only.

And how was your Christmas other than these issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I agree though it's ridiculous, I'm often grumbling about the same thing myself. People are silly sometimes. Maybe some older folks are genuinely worried about going up the ramp ? But it doesn't seem to be just older folks doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

And how was your Christmas other than these issues :)

I'm not really a Christmas person:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭klose

Only got caught at the little roundabout today going into the showgrounds cause someone was too busy leaving someone out in the lower car park near the entrance and proceeded to try reverse park in and took an age, I myself went up to the room were surprisingly enough there was tons of spaces, who'd have thought.
    Fare wack of people using the car park for the free parking and heading to town.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/1230/930240-dead-horses-clonmel/

Made the news.

You're pissing against the wind really when it comes to tackling travellers in any meaningful way since their culture is crime and it's indulged in our society but this is horrendous.

Walk pass any halting site in Clonmel, ANY, and you'll find flagrant displays of animal cruelty in various forms, among other things like littering etc. The Halting site on the Bypass is pissing sewage since forever and it's just left there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Is there financial help available to provide feed etc to animals that you own and may have difficulty providing for?

Just trying to confirm if something I heard this morning is accurate.

Can anyone elaborate on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Rant switch on/

Rant off/

I'll queue for downstairs if I've the kids. YOu need the P&C spaces with car seats etc. If there were some upstairs then grand but travellator and buggy a pain!

pooch90 wrote: »
    I'll queue for downstairs if I've the kids. YOu need the P&C spaces with car seats etc. If there were some upstairs then grand but travellator and buggy a pain!

You could also use the lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Saw a post/video on bookface about the beggars in town that quotes " This is the "Clonmel begging crew". They just got out of a new car down near the Showgrounds. Guy on the outside nearest the road with the red bobble hat will be around town barely able to walk with a crutch. You can see him here not even trying to use it and keeping up with the others who are half his age. All have backpacks with some sort of seat built in and no doubt plenty of food. These people are only in Clonmel because people give them money. It's a begging enterprise and should not be supported. Please share this if you can "

not sure if im allowed to post link to the video

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

I'll queue for downstairs if I've the kids. YOu need the P&C spaces with car seats etc. If there were some upstairs then grand but travellator and buggy a pain![/quote]

There is p&c spaces upstairs. They are on the left hand side near the entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Saw a post/video on bookface about the beggars in town that quotes " This is the "Clonmel begging crew". They just got out of a new car down near the Showgrounds. Guy on the outside nearest the road with the red bobble hat will be around town barely able to walk with a crutch. You can see him here not even trying to use it and keeping up with the others who are half his age. All have backpacks with some sort of seat built in and no doubt plenty of food. These people are only in Clonmel because people give them money. It's a begging enterprise and should not be supported. Please share this if you can "

not sure if im allowed to post link to the video

I mentioned some time ago these lads were staying in the old closed up mart on Davis road / so how a man with a crutch junps the wall i dont know / some bleeding hearts were even defending their choice of digs

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Rant switch on/

Rant off/

Instead of parking in the showgrounds carpark there are a few adjoining residential roads marked as "parking for residents only", you could park on one of these like showgrounds staff do everyday or other holiday makers catching the kavanagh bus.

But if they are stayinging in the mart they must be begging from need. If it is a begging enterprise would they not have proper home? The silver car could be a taxi. Why would a new car drop people to live in a mart? I presume the old mart is abandoned no heat etc.

Are these the people who were sleeping under the arches in o'connell street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

lollsangel wrote: »

There is p&c spaces upstairs. They are on the left hand side near the entrance?[/QUOTE]

I thought they were only disabled spots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The main reason why we never really park on the upper level of The Showgrounds is. It always seems to take ages to get to M&S form there!

Advertisement