Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan..fukushima....it hasn't gone away you know!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

EURATS wrote: »
    Common sense for any person with minimum level of education?

Trying to win a debate by implying that another poster is a dimwit is a bit underhand.

It also means that by default, you've lost the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Do you have any basis for this rather dramatic post? I suspect you wandered over from the Conspiracy Theory forum
    Nah, I just made it up. I'm mad and easily led, given to ranting and raving with no basis whatsoever. I am also a technical fool, unaware of the basics of physics and chemistry, contamination and micro-sieverts. I spend my days under a tinfoil hat, dodging UFOs and plotting revolution. I only wish I could be as worldly wise as you. Next time I'm on a flight to Japan I will reassure myself that Kaiser said it was all A one and ignore all the silly fools who can't buy engines, foodstuffs and components AS THEY ARE FECKIN GLOWING by our standards. Thanks for putting me back in my box Kaiser.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

Colmustard wrote: »
    Pottler wrote: »
    Ah bless. The naivety is sweet. Any idea what the international impact of the Tsunami has been? Production of factories in the affected areas has been decimated, I know, I work for client companies that can not secure components from manufacturers and are in scramble mode still. Radiation is insidious. You don't get people dropping from the rafters like dead birds, it is a lingering, sneaky, long term hazard. Kids will develop tumours in far off, unknown locations, "totally unrelated" to the "incident". The food chain will be contaminated with particles bodies take to be harmless, these will be concentrated as predator feeds on predator, up and up, from plankton to Pollack, grass to grazers, your tuna steak to your tumour. This will all, of course, be "unrelated to the incident" and get swallowed up in the fetid mass of statistics, blurred by borders and distorted by semantics. Fukushima has not "gone away", nor will it be "gone away" for several thousand years. But it will be forgotten and unremarked, a blip on the "unblemished record" of the nuclear industry. Sure you don't want the lights going out now, do you?

No real evidence for that, the WHO compiled a study and 4000 died not the project 100s of thousands which was the expectation after the accident. I seems our body's can cope with higher exposures to radiation the previously determined..

But how many will die in coal production yearly about 20,000 and how many may die from dependence on fossil fuel. If fossil fuel is causing runaway global warming,,billions.

100k people?...it wasn't Hiroshima. This stuff is a lot more insidious. Gradual poisoning..from the bottom to the top.

"it seems" our bodies can cope with increased radiation levels? Would u expect everyone to get cancer immediately and be dead in days or weeks?

As for the effect of coal production??? Another thread..

Trying to win a debate by implying that another poster is a dimwit is a bit underhand.

Jasus Star, I've the height of respect for you amongst those here, but in fairness, that's not your finest moment. Do you seriously reckon this situation is as it's being represented? I don't even believe that tbh, you're a bit sharper than to swallow that.

Thank you for the input. Has been noted and will be considered at a later date.

• Advertisement

My company frequently cleans up chemical spills, it's one thing we do. When someone accidentally spills 1000l of a toxic chemical, thats huge, a major pain to deal with, very hard to contain. If someone spills 1000,000 L of a toxic substance, forget it- you're not cleaning it up, you can only get the edges, the rest is gone to the rivers and the ditches and the fish and the water. If that is a Radioactive material that mimics Iodine and is absorbed by the Thyroid gland as part of it's normal function as it can't differentiate between radioactive Iodine and normal iodine, you have a problem. Radioactive iodine from Fukushima has been detected already in Glasgow. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

My company frequently cleans up chemical spills, it's one thing we do. When someone accidentally spills 1000l of a toxic chemical, thats huge, a major pain to deal with, very hard to contain. If someone spills 1000,000 L of a toxic substance, forget it- you're not cleaning it up, you can only get the edges, the rest is gone to the rivers and the ditches and the fish and the water. If that is a Radioactive material that mimics Iodine and is absorbed by the Thyroid gland as part of it's normal function as it can't differentiate between radioactive Iodine and normal iodine, you have a problem. Radioactive iodine from Fukushima has been detected already in Glasgow. Enjoy.

I heard all of that on the news, like I'm sure many other people did. It was well covered both here and in the British media. There's no secret conspiracy about it. I see that you're relishing knowing something you think is hush hush but "enjoy"? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Really does seem to have been swept under the carpet!!!

Its called Main Stream Media blackout / dumb down.

Good up to date links.

http://rense.com/
    http://www.fairewinds.com/content/fukushima-daiichi-truth-and-future
    http://enenews.com/five-quakes-m4-and-above-hit-fukushima-in-last-six-days

Shryke wrote: »
    I heard all of that on the news, like I'm sure many other people did. It was well covered both here and in the British media. There's no secret conspiracy about it. I see that you're relishing knowing something you think is hush hush but "enjoy"? Really?
    Yeah. I've kids, I like them. "Enjoy" is not really the word I was looking to hear there. On the news? Lately? You must have a better reception than me. I'm not ranting anyway, I'm genuinely sad, GE should have been buried over this, but they're not. That is deeply unjust. Educate yourself on this, all joking aside, then come back with the good news that all is well. It's not a conspiracy anyway, it's a black out. There's a difference. See the way I used that punctuation? You used it the same way. So stop acting thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The likely death toll will probably be scarcely detectable above the normal rates of cancer.

Something like 1,000 wouldn't be off the wall but that would be over a course of decades. To put that in context that's 1,000 ever while each year about 1,000,000 people die in Japan in total.

It will make a trivial difference overall.

From the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (via wikipedia, because BAS article is behind a paywall):
    Frank N. von Hippel, a U.S. scientist, has estimated that "on the order of 1,000" people will die from cancer as a result of their exposure to radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi disaster, that is, an increase of 0.1 percent in the incidence of cancer, and much less than the approximately 20,000 people killed directly by the earthquake and tsunami. Because contaminated milk was "interdicted in Japan" the number of (mostly non-fatal) thyroid cancer cases will probably be less than 1 percent of similar cases at Chernobyl. Von Hippel added that "fear of ionizing radiation could have long-term psychological effects on a large portion of the population in the contaminated areas".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_effects_from_Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster#Regulatory_levels

• Advertisement

@Pottler You're implying that the story wasn't really in the news. It was. And you're calling me thick. Class act.
    I've followed the story from the get go and your exaggerations are just that. And now I'm claiming all is well too? Wonderful. Thanks for letting me know what I think.
    Scare mongering is a waste of time and energy.

Gbear wrote: »
    The likely death toll will probably be scarcely detectable above the normal rates of cancer.

Something like 1,000 wouldn't be off the wall but that would be over a course of decades. To put that in context that's 1,000 ever while each year about 1,000,000 people die in Japan in total.

It will make a trivial difference overall.

From the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (via wikipedia, because BAS article is behind a paywall):
    Frank N. von Hippel, a U.S. scientist, has estimated that "on the order of 1,000" people will die from cancer as a result of their exposure to radiation from the Fukushima Daiichi disaster, that is, an increase of 0.1 percent in the incidence of cancer, and much less than the approximately 20,000 people killed directly by the earthquake and tsunami. Because contaminated milk was "interdicted in Japan" the number of (mostly non-fatal) thyroid cancer cases will probably be less than 1 percent of similar cases at Chernobyl. Von Hippel added that "fear of ionizing radiation could have long-term psychological effects on a large portion of the population in the contaminated areas".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_effects_from_Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster#Regulatory_levels

That sounds nice and sweet. Seems like Mary Poppins is back out giving spoonfulls of sugar...to make the medicine go down!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

--Kaiser-- wrote:
    Pottler wrote:
    Ah bless. The naivety is sweet. Any idea what the international impact of the Tsunami has been? Production of factories in the affected areas has been decimated, I know, I work for client companies that can not secure components from manufacturers and are in scramble mode still. Radiation is insidious. You don't get people dropping from the rafters like dead birds, it is a lingering, sneaky, long term hazard. Kids will develop tumours in far off, unknown locations, "totally unrelated" to the "incident". The food chain will be contaminated with particles bodies take to be harmless, these will be concentrated as predator feeds on predator, up and up, from plankton to Pollack, grass to grazers, your tuna steak to your tumour. This will all, of course, be "unrelated to the incident" and get swallowed up in the fetid mass of statistics, blurred by borders and distorted by semantics. Fukushima has not "gone away", nor will it be "gone away" for several thousand years. But it will be forgotten and unremarked, a blip on the "unblemished record" of the nuclear industry. Sure you don't want the lights going out now, do you?
    Do you have any basis for this rather dramatic post? I suspect you wandered over from the Conspiracy Theory forum

He didn't ask what the post was missing.

--Kaiser-- wrote:
    Pottler wrote:

Why thank u. All input is most welcome:)

@Pottler You're implying that the story wasn't really in the news. It was. And you're calling me thick. Class act.
    I've followed the story from the get go and your exaggerations are just that. And now I'm claiming all is well too? Wonderful. Thanks for letting me know what I think.
    Scare mongering is a waste of time and energy.
    Shryke, would ya ever feck off. When did I call you thick? Seriously, when? In fairness, I never even thought that never mind said it- I said don't act thick, there's a big difference. I'm not looking for a row, 90% of the time I agree with whatever you post, this is just a bit of a biggie for me, It seriously pee's me off that it is not covered daily-yet we hear about bleedin Cheryl Coles every move. For once, I'm not pulling a sarcy, this really pisses me off as it happens.

Of course, now back your tired old shtick of wailing about things you don't understand.

All the best for the future. You've a good username. And you're sharp, for a thickie. I almost cut myself on that^.

All the best for the future. You've a good username. And you're sharp, for a thickie. I almost cut myself on that^.

Well, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't have to worry about invented problems.

Alright Pottler, fair enough. I didn't mean to attack you.
    There are good reasons that it shouldn't be reported on often and that everything shouldn't be thrown into headlines. It creates panic when people don't fully grasp things, which they wouldn't.
    The effects of Chernobyl have been found to have been far less than thought in a recent study. The Japanese are very insular and prideful but they're not stupid. The after effects in the long term aren't going to be calamitous.
    As far as the radioactive contamination of the sea goes its effect is next to nil, even with fish stock affected.

Something being reported on and being dealt with are two different things, reporting itself isn't always a good thing, and it doesn't help in this case except to feed the media machine and cause paranoia.

It must be terrible for everyone there. Because it's nuclear it's very easy to imagine the worst but the worst isn't going to happen thankfully. Far more lives are lost and destroyed over other disasters and genocides and so on.
    The two nuclear bombs dropped on Japan killed less than the fire bombing of Dresden. Because it's nuclear doesn't always mean it's the very worst.

Anyway it's late. Didn't mean to have a go. I'm off for the night.

Of course, now back your tired old shtick of wailing about things you don't understand.

Ur feedback is most welcome and precious. Would u care to share more of ur words of wisdom in the thread? Thank you!

• Advertisement

Alright Pottler, fair enough. I didn't mean to attack you.
    There are good reasons that it shouldn't be reported on often and that everything shouldn't be thrown into headlines. It creates panic when people don't fully grasp things, which they wouldn't.

"The effects of Chernobyl have been found to have been far less than thought in a recent study"

"Wow...I guess I must have been imagining things when I saw all the deformed babies,kids and young adults in homes in Belarus. "

. The Japanese are very insular and prideful but they're not stupid. The after effects in the long term aren't going to be calamitous.
    As far as the radioactive contamination of the sea goes its effect is next to nil, even with fish stock affected.

"Yawn...Mary Poppins...eat ur heart out. "

Something being reported on and being dealt with are two different things, reporting itself isn't always a good thing, and it doesn't help in this case except to feed the media machine and cause paranoia.

It must be terrible for everyone there. Because it's nuclear it's very easy to imagine the worst but the worst isn't going to happen thankfully. Far more lives are lost and destroyed over other disasters and genocides and so on.
    The two nuclear bombs dropped on Japan killed less than the fire bombing of Dresden. Because it's nuclear doesn't always mean it's the very worst.

Anyway it's late. Didn't mean to have a go. I'm off for the night.

Yawn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ah Fukushima Daiichi, nobody saw the positives...

It happened around the time of the Irish orals and anyone smart enough talked pure ****e about it for 10 mins. Fillers like that haven't been as good since 1986! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Most western news stations arent talking about it. I switched over to Al Jazeera during the week. They had a story about it. But most news agencies dont seem to care. Old news to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Really does seem to have been swept under the carpet!!!

Surprise!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement