Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Live8 act so far

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cremo wrote:
    erm what's the difference between this thread and this one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2995958
    this one is for like the cool people! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Nah , sure it wouldnt even compare to the origional Live Aid at all. Most of the bands were just dreadful nobodies and it isnt going to have a fraction of the impact as Live Aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Why , are you there ? I couldnt say something like that about something I say on tv (within reason)

(ihopethatwasntsarcasmotherwiseimgonnalookdumb)

umm nah it's just ahh read some of my other forum post about pink floyd and you'll see why

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

danniemcq wrote:
    umm nah it's just ahh read some of my other forum post about pink floyd and you'll see why
    rar! you minx! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Oh my god, I cannot believe I just saw Pink Floyd! I love that band so much!
    They were f*cking amazing!!! They haven't played together in 24 years, and only rehearsed twice this week, and they knocked the **** out of every band there today.

I really REALLY hope they get back together. From tonights show, it looks like Nick Mason is the only one who is showing any begrudgery. Well, **** him, he's not an amazing drummer anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

pink. goddamn. floyd.
    my life is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

rar! you minx! :P

hee hee yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Anyone else think Pink Floyd are the most over-rated band in history?
    I didn't think there was anything special about them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Definitely Floyd. Also Green Day, Madonna and Robbie. Peter Kaye ("Is this the way to Amarillo?", Lennie Henry and the crowd ("who gives you extra" :D ) .

What;s the story with Project Eden? I wanna see Neneh Cherry!!!

Hello.
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me.
    Is there anyone home?

Come on, now.
    I hear you’re feeling down.
    Well I can ease your pain,
    Get you on your feet again.

Relax.
    I need some information first.
    Just the basic facts:
    Can you show me where it hurts?

There is no pain, you are receding.
    A distant ship’s smoke on the horizon.
    You are only coming through in waves.
    Your lips move but I can’t hear what you’re sayin’.
    When I was a child I had a fever.
    My hands felt just like two balloons.
    Now I got that feeling once again.
    I can’t explain, you would not understand.
    This is not how I am.
    I have become comfortably numb.

Ok.
    Just a little pinprick. [ping]
    There’ll be no more --aaaaaahhhhh!
    But you may feel a little sick.

Can you stand up?
    I do believe it’s working. good.
    That’ll keep you going for the show.
    Come on it’s time to go.

There is no pain, you are receding.
    A distant ship’s smoke on the horizon.
    You are only coming through in waves.
    Your lips move but I can’t hear what you’re sayin’.
    When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone.
    I cannot put my finger on it now.
    The child is grown, the dream is gone.
    I have become comfortably numb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

they were all amazing but the finale was fantastic, as it should be. it was brilliant when madonna came on with that woman though, it was pretty humbling to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

The Who were much better at the 9/11 gig, but then again Entwhistle was still here then.

Anyone else think Hey Jude was a nice sing along to end on but shouldn't have been done as an end for a meaningful event? All You Need is Love would have been better, McCartney did it at the Queen's Jubilee so I don't see why he couldn't here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I agree Themselves and the Rolling Stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

when did greenday play?! I wanted to see them so bad! I had three web links going at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Thought the Stereophonics were good,but Pink Floyd were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Pink Floyd without a shadow of doubt were heads and tails above everyone..amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

DEFINITELY Paul McCartney - playing Hey Jude, Get Back, and Sergeant Peppers with U2

Le Rack wrote:
    when did greenday play?! I wanted to see them so bad! I had three web links going at once!

They played in Germany at maybe 3 this afternoon or so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Pink floyd showed all these girly bands how to play. Everything sounded dull and weak in comparsion.

I thought Sargeant Peppers rocked, but when they played it after the Floyd set, it wasn't worthy of being on the same stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Didn't see anything past about 7.30pm but the BlackEyedPeas were the only thing that grabbed my attention up to that point.

OFDM wrote:
    I didn't think there was anything special about them at all.

what in gods name are you talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Pink Floyd are one of the best bands in history, I can understand why people might not LIKE them but how you can call them 'over-rated' is beyond me?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

OFDM, I'm afraid that Music has called and said it's not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

pink floyd by a mile
    absolutely amazing, wish you were here was pure class, and comfortably numb excellent also.
    rte2 was about 15mins behind bbc1 at the end, so i watched em on the beeb, then flicked back to watch it again on rte :)
    slightly disappointed by the who, especially since evertime pete townshend went to do his really cool windmill move it flicked to an overview of the drummer...wtf was up with that ???
    not as good as i'd hoped tho.

also excellent kaiser chiefs, green day (minority dragged a big tho), velvet revolver, u2, sterophonics and more i cant remember

funniest thing was during linkin parks set it showed a view of the crowd - a group of white chicks screaming along with the song, standing right beside a group of black chicks who had the best 'damn fool white girls' look ever :)

hey jude at the end was a bit of a let down, shoulda picked something a bit better than that....long and winding road was really cool tho.

I was expecting the Keith Floyd backlash. Perhaps "over-rated" is the wrong phrase - more like "over-hyped".

I hadn't really heard them before tonight and didn't think their songs were all that amazing tbh. I'm not saying they're rubbish, they just didn't blow me away.

It's a bit like people hyping "Lost" and then finding the first 3 episodes are not that great.

pyure wrote:
    drummer...wtf was up with that ???
    The drummer was either Oasis's former drummer Alan White or his brother former Pete Weller drummer Steve White (not to be confused with the more-famous and more-talented American drummer Steve White).

Neither of the White brothers are up to much drumming wise.

[edit]Just realised you were talking about the "windmill move" but the drummer was crap anyway...[/edit]

ofdm,
    if you had any of their albums and listened to them, you would realise how magical they were last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭GOAT_BOY

ODFM - If you haven't even heard any Pink Floyd albums then please do us a favour and keep your opinions to yourself. You can't form a valid opinion when you haven't a clue.

Pink Floyd proved themselves as probably the greatest band to have graced the planet last night.

U2? Biggest band in the world? they are wannabes compared to the Floyd.

My life is now complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OFDM wrote:
    The drummer was either Oasis's former drummer Alan White or his brother former Pete Weller drummer Steve White (not to be confused with the more-famous and more-talented American drummer Steve White).

Neither of the White brothers are up to much drumming wise.
    It was Steve White, and he's not crap! He's a bit more 'song-serving' than the average drummer, and just because he doesn't go rolling around the kit every nano-second doesn't mean that he's crap.

The best drummer I've seen play with The Who was Simon Phillips.

It was nice to see Townshend actually play the electric guitar instead of just standing there strumming a semi-acoustic and relegating duties to a session-man.

But I think it ceased to be The Who after John Entwhistle died. His contribution to the band live was always sadly unrated and overlooked.

It would have been amusing if it was Alan White as Zak Starkey (drummed for them on their last tour) was playing with Oasis at the City of Manchester stadium at the same time.

• Advertisement

It was Steve White, and he's not crap! He's a bit more 'song-serving' than the average drummer, and just because he doesn't go rolling around the kit every nano-second doesn't mean that he's crap.
    He's limited in his ability. He played "Who are you?" wrong and he's not capable of replicating Keith Moon's dynamic playing.

Advertisement