Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

Looking for a steer here lads. Current Corsa D is a cat c write off and looking to replace it most likely with a fiesta. Found one out in Bluebell Inds Estate and mentioned it to my mechanic this morning. I got the usual warning about the potential for some dealers out that way to be a little dodgy.. and watch for UK Imports.

Am likely to head out this weekend to look at this with a 50% desposit available. They're offering Cartell reports and I reckon a UK check is in order too. Mileage and price look decent .. all in all I think it's hitting the 2nd car sweet spot.

Am I missing anything. Can't afford to screw this up. Link below.. any advice appreciated other than change the colour.. the Mrs likes it and it's for her ;)

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/fiesta/fpa/201910032911422

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do a history check. Car is a uk import so there would be more info available than if it were originally Irish. UK import isn’t a bad thing, but there are some cheap cars over there as a result of high mileage or write off which unscrupulous Irish dealers will pounce upon.

That particular car has had 2 owners in Ireland (not including dealers) plus whatever owners it had in the uk.

It was purchased by a dealer on 28/09/2019.

It’s also taxed til April 2020.

Thanks Colm. I would have done the check if I liked what I saw. I did do the Motor Tax Check and saw the dealer date you mentioned. How could you tell it was an import straight off? Asking so I can check other cars without having to pay every time till I'm ready to go deeper on one

--

Duh it said it on the listing :(

Actually on closer inspection it seems to be an Irish car. I saw 58000 miles as mileage and just assumed odometer was in miles.

I think motorcheck tells you for free if it’s uk.

A lot of listings give both it seems. I'll potter out and take a look and then buy the motorcheck if I think it's worth it. Current free check doesn't tell me if it's UK or not

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Back Home

dct transmission with over 170k, no chance

manti452 wrote: »
    A lot of listings give both it seems. I'll potter out and take a look and then buy the motorcheck if I think it's worth it. Current free check doesn't tell me if it's UK or not
    I’m pretty sure they never offered the 1.0 engine in 65hp form in the uk, plus you can see the km clocks in the picture.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure they never offered the 1.0 engine in 65hp form in the uk, plus you can see the km clocks in the picture.

Good call on the lack of a dual dial as an indicator ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭User1998

Would I be right in saying now would be the best time to buy a convertible? I have the space to dry store it for a few months until it gets warmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

User1998 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying now would be the best time to buy a convertible? I have the space to dry store it for a few months until it gets warmer

I would say it's always a good time to buy a convertible. What one?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lfbmick

Hi guys,
    Going to have a look at audi a6 152 reg S line 2 liter tomorrow(link below) . Its UK car. Got UK reg and checked MOT and miles and looks strange.
    From 2015 to 2016 car done 38 k miles
    2016 to 2017 done 22 k miles
    2017 to 2018 done 8 k miles
    2018 April to 2018 September 1 k also two MOT tests in 2018 one April second September.
    Why would anyone test car twice a year? Also what yous think about mileage?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/152-audi-a6-auto-190-ultra-s-line-black-edition/22762654

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

lfbmick wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Going to have a look at audi a6 152 reg S line 2 liter tomorrow(link below) . Its UK car. Got UK reg and checked MOT and miles and looks strange.
    From 2015 to 2016 car done 38 k miles
    2016 to 2017 done 22 k miles
    2017 to 2018 done 8 k miles
    2018 April to 2018 September 1 k also two MOT tests in 2018 one April second September.
    Why would anyone test car twice a year? Also what yous think about mileage?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/152-audi-a6-auto-190-ultra-s-line-black-edition/22762654

Not saying this is the case here but two MOT's and only 1k miles between could be explained by : if a car is written off it must have a new mot before being registered again. Mileage does merit further investigation. Have you done a history check?

Car99 wrote: »
    Not saying this is the case here but two MOT's and only 1k miles between could be explained by : if a car is written off it must have a new mot before being registered again. Mileage does merit further investigation. Have you done a history check?

Thanks a lot Car99. It looked strange that car has two MOT's in one year. I will have a look at the car tomorrow and do the history check if decide to go for it.
    Makes sense and would explain a lot of things if it was written off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thanks a lot Car99. It looked strange that car has two MOT's in one year. I will have a look at the car tomorrow and do the history check if decide to go for it.
    Makes sense and would explain a lot of things if it was written off.

Pretty sure it’s not unusual for a car to be sold in the UK and the customer requesting it being put through a new MOT before sale, doesn’t necessarily mean something sinister is at play.

That said, the world and it’s neighbours of unrecorded crap is coming in from the UK, so just be as diligent as you can and if you smell a rat just walk.

L-M wrote: »
    Pretty sure it’s not unusual for a car to be sold in the UK and the customer requesting it being put through a new MOT before sale, doesn’t necessarily mean something sinister is at play.

That said, the world and it’s neighbours of unrecorded crap is coming in from the UK, so just be as diligent as you can and if you smell a rat just walk.
    Yes, that's possible to,but car did only 1000 miles in six months in between two MOT's. Looks like it was parked or clocked.
    Ill see what it looks like tomorrow. Dealer should be aware if car was written off in uk.

Yes, that's possible to,but car did only 1000 miles in six months in between two MOT's. Looks like it was parked or clocked.
    Ill see what it looks like tomorrow. Dealer should be aware if car was written off in uk.

Could of been forsale in a garage and then put through an auction hence how it ended up here?

Did you put the reg into the UK MOT check site to see was there any advisories? Did you just google the reg?

Could of been forsale in a garage and then put through an auction hence how it ended up here?

Did you put the reg into the UK MOT check site to see was there any advisories? Did you just google the reg?
    I did put reg in MOT check site. Only advisories were in 2017 MOT at 61k miles. Gearbox oil leaks at the sump and items removed from drivers view prior test. Not sute what second means.

I did put reg in MOT check site. Only advisories were in 2017 MOT at 61k miles. Gearbox oil leaks at the sump and items removed from drivers view prior test. Not sute what second means.

You’ll get that advisory if you have an air freshener , dashcam, phone bracket, satnav bracket, or even the marks on the window from a suction mounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Guys does anyone think there should be a new sticky or this one amended in the op , to actually explain ownership costs of cars better to users of this forums. Shy don’t understand the concept of depreciation as a cost. They think of only a minuscule tax “saving” !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

What are people’s thoughts on buying a demo car? 192 8000km on the clock. Give or take about 8K cheaper with a trade in now opposed to waiting for a 202

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Be unusual for a demo to go so long unsold. What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Be unusual for a demo to go so long unsold. What model is it?

Santa Fe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It was probably an ex hire or dealer courtesy car. Dealers wouldn't keep a demo that long especially one that was registered last year.

There’s “wouldn’t keep it that long” and not having a choice.

Demos are hard sell, because the offers on new stuff is so good.

I doubt it’s a Rental/Courtesy being a Sante.

• Advertisement

How long is it taxed for? We used never tax a demo for a year. Hire companies didn’t either unless it was a long termer.

A lot of dealers have 192 ones so it may have been a thing that they had to register a demo at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Hi all.

Been looking for a 2016 mondeo and there seems to be a lot of uk imports for sale. Not too bothered about that as they seem to have higher spec.

Found one dealer that looks to be legit has a few I would be interested in.

When I clicked to see all his other stock they
    Are all uk imports, again no big concern until you see the mileage on all 42 of them are very similar. About half have 102/103 k the other half have 91/92k on them.

Suspicious?
    Tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Demos are hard sell, because the offers on new stuff is so good.

Nonsense.

If a dealer is asking +/- same money for a demo as the customer needs to pay for brand new - they will be best buddies forever. But if a dealer wants to shift a demo, they will shift a demo.

Everything is just a matter of price

tmabr wrote: »
    Hi all.

Been looking for a 2016 mondeo and there seems to be a lot of uk imports for sale. Not too bothered about that as they seem to have higher spec.

Found one dealer that looks to be legit has a few I would be interested in.

When I clicked to see all his other stock they
    Are all uk imports, again no big concern until you see the mileage on all 42 of them are very similar. About half have 102/103 k the other half have 91/92k on them.

Suspicious?
    Tia

Do they actually have the cars in stock? Do the photos look to be taken in the sake place?

There was a place in Tipperary just using pics of cars that were for sale in the uk

Do they actually have the cars in stock? Do the photos look to be taken in the sake place?

There was a place in Tipperary just using pics of cars that were for sale in the uk

All photos outside a lockup type garage with signage. In fairness could be in uk. Might arrange a viewing to see if in stock.
    Good point thanks

• Advertisement

Any links?

Mccaffrey motors Meath

I misread, I thought they had 42 Mondeos!

Yes, it’s a little unusual about the mileage, should be very easy to verify though.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

What's your opinion on this one?

2018 VW Polo CL 95 HP Automatic with only 16,000 km. There's no price but similar models are going for €17.995

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-polo-cl-comfort-line-1-0-tsi-d7f-95hp/24532387

It looks brand new. Same spec new model is €25,300 on VW website. I can't afford it myself but seems like a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Manc Red wrote: »
    What's your opinion on this one?

2018 VW Polo CL 95 HP Automatic with only 16,000 km. There's no price but similar models are going for €17.995

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-polo-cl-comfort-line-1-0-tsi-d7f-95hp/24532387

It looks brand new. Same spec new model is €25,300 on VW website. I can't afford it myself but seems like a bargain.

Is that your ad?

Evil_g wrote: »
    Is that your ad?

No. I spotted it while looking for Polos.

Just wondering if €17,995 is a good deal for that model and spec considering it has only 16,000km?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

No. I spotted it while looking for Polos.

Just wondering if €17,995 is a good deal for that model and spec considering it has only 16,000km?

If, as you say, similar models are going for €17,995 I'd say that would be about market rate, and therefore neither a good deal or a bad deal.

But the ad doesn't say what the asking price is, so I don't know how could decide that it seems like a bargain.

Evil_g wrote: »
    If, as you say, similar models are going for €17,995 I'd say that would be about market rate, and therefore neither a god deal or a bad deal.

But the ad doesn't say what the asking price is, so I don't know how could decide that it seems like a bargain.
    Well it's through a VW dealership. They appear to have standard pricing on Models and years. Every other 2018 Polo Automatic is priced at €17.995 so I assume it would be the same or thereabouts.

I'm looking for something around the 2014 mark myself but this would be tempting.

I tend to ignore any advert where the seller especially dealers don't display their asking price on the advert. It just stinks of the price depends on who's inquiring about it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I tend to ignore any advert where the seller especially dealers don't display their asking price on the advert. It just stinks of the price depends on who's inquiring about it.

I thought about that. I'm guessing it might be slightly more than similar spec models due to the mileage but because they are all usually the same standard price, there might be room for some room for improvement in the price.

• Advertisement

It’s also 2 owner.

It’s still a 2 year old car, and it should be pointed out that €25k for a 1.0 supermini is bonkers in the first place.
    I’d sooner get a new Yaris hybrid for €20k

I thought about that. I'm guessing it might be slightly more than similar spec models due to the mileage but because they are all usually the same standard price, there might be room for some room for improvement in the price.

Would an Ibiza interest you? It's mechanically identical to the Polo, here is a 2020 pre reg petrol auto for under 20k:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2511291&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D78%26o%5B%5D%3D672%26f%3D1%26t%3D2%26g%3D0

It’s also 2 owner.

It’s still a 2 year old car, and it should be pointed out that €25k for a 1.0 supermini is bonkers in the first place.
    I’d sooner get a new Yaris hybrid for €20k

It says 1 owner for me but the 25k is obviously the retail price for one brand new.

It doesn't have a price listed but I would imagine it's in the €18,495 range due to the mileage.

I'm enquiring about an older Polo at the minute (I missed this one as it has no price listed and I put in a minimum price in donedeal). This one would be tempting due the mileage and because it's only a few grand more but it would be the upper limit of my budget.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Would an Ibiza interest you? It's mechanically identical to the Polo, here is a 2020 pre reg petrol auto for under 20k:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2511291&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D78%26o%5B%5D%3D672%26f%3D1%26t%3D2%26g%3D0

It would be beyond my budget at the moment.

The Polo here would be probably the max I would go if I got it below €18,000 with maybe a 24 month warranty. Especially with 16,000 km, it's the lowest mileage 2018 Polo I've seen with the benefit of two years deprecation, it would be like buying a one year old car. I'm just not sure if I should push my budget to the max and regret it later.

It says 1 owner for me but the 25k is obviously the retail price for one brand new.

It doesn't have a price listed but I would imagine it's in the €18,495 range due to the mileage.

I'm enquiring about an older Polo at the minute (I missed this one as it has no price listed and I put in a minimum price in donedeal). This one would be tempting due the mileage and because it's only a few grand more but it would be the upper limit of my budget.

It says one previous owner, which means 2 owners.
    If it was 1 owner it would say 0 previous owners.

I know it’s €25k brand new, but that’s just a dear model. Polo starts around 18k. This configuration adds €8k (or the price of a Dacia) on to that.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d have a TSI over the basic engine, and DSG over Manual, and comfortline over discomfortline (or whatever the base model is called) but it still makes a 181 cost the same as a 202.

It says one previous owner, which means 2 owners.
    If it was 1 owner it would say 0 previous owners.

I'm sorry. How does this work? I've never seen a used car at a dealership have 0 previous owners.

It has one previous owner from new which means it went from the dealer > Owner > back to a dealer again. Is that what you mean?

I wouldn't class the dealer as an "owner" myself.

I’m not classing the dealer as an owner.

Donedeal ads automatically tap into the licensing info for the particular car, so that car will have 1 pervious owner written in the logbook, which means the owner who traded the car in plus another owner that had the car before them.
    Garages trading them in don’t count as owners, but it’s probable that the car was a demo or a hire car originally.

There are tonnes of ads where the car has 0 previous owners. There’s even a filter for owners on donedeal.

I’m not classing the dealer as an owner.

Donedeal ads automatically tap into the licensing info for the particular car, so that car will have 1 pervious owner written in the logbook, which means the owner who traded the car in plus another owner that had the car before them.
    Garages trading them in don’t count as owners, but it’s probable that the car was a demo or a hire car originally.

There are tonnes of ads where the car has 0 previous owners. There’s even a filter for owners on donedeal.

Ok, thanks. I always assumed that if there's 1 previous owner at a dealership, this figure only meant:

Dealer > Owner > Traded in at Dealer again

That car is one owner from new.

DoneDeal (Nor any other site) excludes the current owner. That would be very odd and misleading??

• Advertisement

That car is one owner from new.

DoneDeal (Nor any other site) excludes the current owner. That would be very odd and misleading??

There seems to be an issue with how donedeal is displaying ads, they’ve made changes to how they show owners now. It used to have 0 previous owners for 1 owner cars, now in the filters it says “0(new)”

There are over 9,000 pre-2019 used cars showing 0 previous owners on donedeal. When I posted my own car for sale in August, the number of previous owners matched that on the VRC.

I think it might be differentiating between private sales and dealer sales. Look at the private sale 2018 Polos and they’re 0 previous owner, then the VW main dealer ones are 1 previous owner.

Advertisement