Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

blazermel wrote: »
    Any word of a new manager yet?.. it's all so quiet on that front. Nominations closed awhile ago now and still no word.

Looks like it's going to be Nigel Dineen.

Shane Curran pulled out last week and Mick Bohan looks to be staying in his current position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah looking like Dineen with Casey as assistant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

if anyone was at the club games the last few weeks, nearly every team had a better defensive structure and organisation than our county team had.
    most games were low scoring and tight games, the sort of games we could only dream of at county level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    if anyone was at the club games the last few weeks, nearly every team had a better defensive structure and organisation than our county team had.
    most games were low scoring and tight games, the sort of games we could only dream of at county level

McStay recent comments on defensive football.
    the prospect of adopting a more defensive style in a bid to stay with the elite counties was an anathema to the outgoing manager.

“There will be a defensive coach [in Roscommon], I’ve no doubt that will happen but that means you’re coaching that guy three nights a week for the next two or three years to get it well bedded in and, personally, it just wouldn’t be my philosophy.

“My generation and fellas older than me – 55 to 65 – guys who have followed the game or played the game are finding it increasingly hard to go and watch the game. That’s just the way it is. I’m contracted to go and watch it, for TV or newspapers; of course, I go and watch it, but I often wondered: ‘Would I go to watch it if I wasn’t working?’”

All the top teams have good defensive structure and organisation it was McStays biggest downfall with Roscommon that he didn't and he seems to be a fella that was stuck in a generation of trying to get by with a poor defence but I can't ever recall any team becoming an established top 6 without having a good defence.

It's not even about being a defensive team but having proper defensive plans and structures in place.
    McStay apparently was against this even though players wanted it and had iscussed with the management team .

yabadabado wrote: »
    It's not even about being a defensive team but having proper defensive plans and structures in place.
    McStay apparently was against this even though players wanted it and had iscussed with the management team .

even the most attacking team in soccer or rugby are still reliant on being miserly in defence

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to be Nigel Dineen.

Shane Curran pulled out last week and Mick Bohan looks to be staying in his current position.

Have to say there's nothing about that potential appointment that excites me!

Have to say there's nothing about that potential appointment that excites me!

I think he deserves a chance to see what he can do at senior level. He knows the players having been manager of the under 21s between 2012-14. He got Roscommon to two under 21 finals during that period playing an attacking brand of football. They were only beaten by Dublin in those two finals...Dublin sides containing 6 of the starters in this year's All-Ireland final vs Tyrone and another 2 who came on as sub during that match.

It's a tough job regardless who takes it. There are rumours that Ciaran Murtagh, Cathal Compton, Tadhg O Rourke, John Mc Manus and Fintan Cregg are leaving for work/travel reasons so won't be available in 2019. Talk that Domican, Cathal Cregg and Devaney will retire from intercounty and that Diarmuid Murtagh has been told he will need to take a full year off to recover from the eye injury he suffered in the super 8 match vs Dublin.

Next Roscommon manager is on a hiding to nothing. McStay knew that which is why he stepped down. Nobody in the country even the most hardened Roscommon fans expect them to stay in Division 1 and they are overdue Mayo/Galway in the early rounds of Connacht...both those will be away.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

I think he deserves a chance to see what he can do at senior level. He knows the players having been manager of the under 21s between 2012-14. He got Roscommon to two under 21 finals during that period playing an attacking brand of football. They were only beaten by Dublin in those two finals...Dublin sides containing 6 of the starters in this year's All-Ireland final vs Tyrone and another 2 who came on as sub during that match.

It's a tough job regardless who takes it. There are rumours that Ciaran Murtagh, Cathal Compton, Tadhg O Rourke, John Mc Manus and Fintan Cregg are leaving for work/travel reasons so won't be available in 2019. Talk that Domican, Cathal Cregg and Devaney will retire from intercounty and that Diarmuid Murtagh has been told he will need to take a full year off to recover from the eye injury he suffered in the super 8 match vs Dublin.

Next Roscommon manager is on a hiding to nothing. McStay knew that which is why he stepped down. Nobody in the country even the most hardened Roscommon fans expect them to stay in Division 1 and they are overdue Mayo/Galway in the early rounds of Connacht...both those will be away.

We seem to be in a constant period of "rebuilding " . The number of players lost year on year isn't sustainable for a county of our size. The next few years could be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

We seem to be in a constant period of "rebuilding " . The number of players lost year on year isn't sustainable for a county of our size. The next few years could be tough.
    The only counties that aren't forever rebuilding is Tyrone,Kerry,Mayo,Monaghan,Galway,Dublin and is it any wonder they happen to be the top 6 teams. Monaghan especially is a example to Roscommon, they stick with their panel,structure and system of play make little changes to their starting teams and from that stability they have reaped the benefits.

• Advertisement

Doesn't help that 20+ players work or study in Dublin...
    We've no training centre
    No gym for S&C
    No money

Third world GAA problems

We've no training centre
    No gym for S&C
    No money

Third world GAA problems

A good number of the Mayo panel are in Dublin and have a coach in place to train their those Dublin based players, something Roscommon should copy with the next manager?

The have no training centre either (in the process of building one in Castlebar)

Money wise probably comes more from their donors behind the scenes than their county board. S&C wise Roscommon are miles off the top teams McStay remarked it's culture problem and will things change with the next manager as it seems the panel will be much changed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

We've no training centre
    No gym for S&C
    No money

Third world GAA problems

But we do have a BUS!

We've no training centre
    No gym for S&C
    No money

Third world GAA problems

Plenty of the panel did train in Dublin,similar to ther counties.Not sure how often/regualr this was.

Once a S&C plan is set in place,cant players use whatever gym is convienant for them ?Its not ideal but once lads are serious about I dont see an issue.

Kiltoom was the training centre last year and will continue to be if the new manager wants it.I dont see why they wouldnt.Its going to be a long time before the training centre is built,thats if it ever is to any close to the plans.

rosknight wrote: »
    But we do have a BUS!

Don't own the bus. Sponsors chip in for the lease of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Serious rumours doing the rounds about Eamon O'Hara. Anyone confirm anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Serious?! That would be hilarious.

According to the Irish examiner former Clann na nGael and Ballymun manager Paul Curran is mentioned as a possibility to replace McStay.

Whole thing is a complete mess at this stage. Apparently they wasted so much time chasing after Bohan that the other candidates threw in the towel and Bohan ended up rejecting the job anyway.

Roscommon county board as usual showing themselves to be completely incompetent.

• Advertisement

According to the Irish examiner former Clann na nGael and Ballymun manager Paul Curran is mentioned as a possibility to replace McStay.

Read that article.
    See no reason why Curran would get that job.He may have been manager when Clann won the county final but was lucky to win it.Plenty of things fell into place that year and most Clann fans would think similar.

Ros seem to be having a hard time of filling the position and looking likely it will be an outsider mercenary when a few local lads would be as capable.

Read that article.
    See no reason why Curran would get that job.He may have been manager when Clann won the county final but was lucky to win it.Plenty of things fell into place that year and most Clann fans would think similar.

Ros seem to be having a hard time of filling the position and looking likely it will be an outsider mercenary when a few local lads would be as capable.

What he did with Ballymun was probably more impressive winning Dublin and Leinster titles but the way his side let the All Ireland slip after a dream start probably overshadows that now.

Addle wrote: »
    Serious?! That would be hilarious.

I meant rumours from some fairly reliable sources, not that he would be a 'serious' (as in good) candidate.

I would not be happy if he was the next.
    And I don't think a lot of the players would be either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Leitrim again. Are we still dreaming? It's getting close to fixture fixing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's not a semi final this time. So really don't see it as a great fixture. One more game we can feck up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

Someone having a laugh (me thinks) tells me that Co. Board are now talking to Paul Staunton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

rosknight wrote: »
    Someone having a laugh (me thinks) tells me that Co. Board are now talking to Paul Staunton.

HE might be the only fella left who hasnt turned it down yet

franglan wrote: »
    Leitrim again. Are we still dreaming? It's getting close to fixture fixing....

And then Mayo in castlebar where Roscommon haven't won since 86 and if they win that it's Galway in Galway.

Pretty much toughest championship draw they could have got outside swapping Leitrim for Sligo away in quarter final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

And then Mayo in castlebar where Roscommon haven't won since 86 and if they win that it's Galway in Galway.

Pretty much toughest championship draw they could have got outside swapping Leitrim for Sligo away in quarter final.

Tough draw alright but probably overdue given that Roscommon have been on the opposite side of the draw to Galway/Mayo for the previous 3 years.

Read that article.

Not saying he should get the job but there is reasons. Managed Clann for two years and played Brigids in the All Ireland final so he should know the club scene and quality of footballers in Roscommon. He still lives in Lucan I think and that would be a one hour drive from Kiltoom where training will be. He was a defender, 3 time All Star and former footballer of the year and someone like that might sort out Roscommon's defensive issues and lastly he would be a far better option than that spoofer Niall Carew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I actually think the ros job is an attractive position, don't really understand the hard sell/lack of interest. We are a division one side with youth and a decent club scene at senior level at least. The likes of Curran and Carew no thanks. Is there no ambitious young managers we can chase what about the Corofin manager or even David Casey up in middle Leitrim currently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Frankie Dolan has ruled himself out for the position and indicated the county board are looking for an outsider.

Really enjoyed the county final.

While the (harsh) red card followed by the two quick goals really finished it off as a true contest, I thought Clann looked the more likely throughout. They just seemed that bit more hungry - which doesn't surprise me knowing the local rivalry between these two.

Ciaran Lennon showed again why he is rated so highly. He was excellent.

Donie put over some beauts and showed yet again he is a man for the big day.

Jamie Fahy created mayhem in the second half and Callinan was impressive when he came on - lovely cool finish for the third goal.

But the man I was most happy for was Cathal Shine. I thought he was outstanding throughout and he showed why he is so badly missed in the middle for the county. I would love to see him back in full health and playing for Roscommon again. We very badly need his physicality and all-round ability.

I have seen the big no. 12 Mark Daly for Brigids a few times this year and I think he's well worth a try at county level. Big physical lad who can play. I presume he's young, but whoever comes in could do worse than invite him in.

Senan had a great first half, but once Clann switched Fergal Lennon back on him and had Cathal Shine sweeping his threat was diminished a lot.

Surprise, surprise Garvan Dolan got sent off again. You could see it coming a mile off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

megadodge wrote: »
    I have seen the big no. 12 Mark Daly for Brigids a few times this year and I think he's well worth a try at county level. Big physical lad who can play. I presume he's young, but whoever comes in could do worse than invite him in.

Senan had a great first half, but once Clann switched Fergal Lennon back on him and had Cathal Shine sweeping his threat was diminished a lot.

Surprise, surprise Garvan Dolan got sent off again. You could see it coming a mile off.

Anytime watch Brigids that lad usually get the line. Worse is that he is captain of the team.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Anytime watch Brigids that lad usually get the line. Worse is that he is captain of the team.
    Helps when his brother is the manager i suppose.

While the (harsh) red card followed by the two quick goals really finished it off as a true contest, I thought Clann looked the more likely throughout. They just seemed that bit more hungry - which doesn't surprise me knowing the local rivalry between these two.

Jamie Fahy created mayhem in the second half and Callinan was impressive when he came on - lovely cool finish for the third goal.

But the man I was most happy for was Cathal Shine. I thought he was outstanding throughout and he showed why he is so badly missed in the middle for the county. I would love to see him back in full health and playing for Roscommon again. We very badly need his physicality and all-round ability.
    Especially with the mark from knockouts Cathal Shine would be handy on a county panel

Not defending him, but he wasn't captain - Padraig Kelly was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Not long home from the County Final - thrilled with that win, great overall performance from Clann

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Harsh red card? Are you on drugs? It was a blatant elbow to the head and a well deserved red. Garvan should have got a red in first half and the black card to Pettit was a joke. Best team won

Frankie Dolan and Shane Curran was two great players for St Brigids that won it all but are they the type of management that they need to bring Brigids forward especially with all the young players they have coming through now? Clann na nGael was excellent it was like watching the Clann of old when Tony McManus was playing. The Connacht semi final v the Galway champions should be a feisty affair, would that game be in Hyde Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Not defending him, but he wasn't captain - Padraig Kelly was.

My bad. Was he captain one year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

My bad. Was he captain one year?

Garvan was captain yesterday. led the team in the parade and contested the toss at start.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Garvan was captain yesterday. led the team in the parade and contested the toss at start.

You're right, but the program had Padraig Kelly down as captain.

Not sure what happened there but his behaviour hasnt changed over the years whether captain or not. He has gotten away with far too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

franglan wrote: »
    I actually think the ros job is an attractive position, don't really understand the hard sell/lack of interest. We are a division one side with youth and a decent club scene at senior level at least. The likes of Curran and Carew no thanks. Is there no ambitious young managers we can chase what about the Corofin manager or even David Casey up in middle Leitrim currently?

These are Roscommon's results for the league and championship for the year

Roscommon 2-12 Meath 2-12
    Tipperary 3-09 Roscommon 1-17
    Roscommon 0-07 Down 0-12
    Louth 0-12 Roscommon 1-21
    Clare 2-12 Roscommon 2-19
    Roscommon 0-15 Cavan 0-13
    Roscommon 0-17 Cork 1-11
    Roscommon 4-16 Cavan 4-12

Leitrim 0-10 Roscommon 0-24
    Roscommon 2-6 Galway 0-16
    Roscommon 2-22 Armagh 1-19
    Tyrone 4-24 Roscommon 2-12
    Roscommon 0-13 Donegal 0-20
    Dublin 4-24 Roscommon 2-16

Saying that Roscommon are a Division 1 side is a bit disingenuous; they will be playing in Division 1 next year but will be strong favourites to be relegated back to Division 2.

Fixtures for next year are away to Mayo, Cavan and Galway and home games against Monaghan, Tyrone, Dublin and Kerry in the league. First championship game against Leitrim and then most likely have to beat both Mayo and Galway just to win Connacht.

I think the fact that they are in Division 1 next year makes them a good bit less attractive for an ambitious manger compared to if they were in Division 2.
    If they were in Division 2 a new manager would have far more scope to fly under the radar a bit, get some wins under the belt and have a lot more opportunity to try things. In Division 1 the new manager will be under the gun from the get-go battling to avoid relegation. Maybe with a new manager they will do a Galway and challenge for the league title but Roscommon would look to be more in line with those teams who get relegated from Division 1 because they were that bit too good for Division 2 but look short of having enough to stay in Division 1.

The fact that the County Board is under serious money pressure is a massive negative for any potential manager. From the way McStay described it, it seemed like he was constantly dealing with money issues. No manager at any level wants that.

It probably would buy any new manager a bit more leeway to be in Div.2 next year.They will be under pressure to keep us up but will also want to implement their own idea's.
    Add to the mix that plenty of players are likely to be unavailable next season it isn't a stretch to think potential managers don't want the job.

There are money issues in the county board, I'd say most CBs are under pressure but Roscommon spend fairly large sums over the last number of years.

Hopefully the mangers job is filled soon, need to give the new man every bit of help and time to bed in

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    These are Roscommon's results for the league and championship for the year

Roscommon 2-12 Meath 2-12
    Tipperary 3-09 Roscommon 1-17
    Roscommon 0-07 Down 0-12
    Louth 0-12 Roscommon 1-21
    Clare 2-12 Roscommon 2-19
    Roscommon 0-15 Cavan 0-13
    Roscommon 0-17 Cork 1-11
    Roscommon 4-16 Cavan 4-12

Leitrim 0-10 Roscommon 0-24
    Roscommon 2-6 Galway 0-16
    Roscommon 2-22 Armagh 1-19
    Tyrone 4-24 Roscommon 2-12
    Roscommon 0-13 Donegal 0-20
    Dublin 4-24 Roscommon 2-16

Saying that Roscommon are a Division 1 side is a bit disingenuous; they will be playing in Division 1 next year but will be strong favourites to be relegated back to Division 2.

Fixtures for next year are away to Mayo, Cavan and Galway and home games against Monaghan, Tyrone, Dublin and Kerry in the league. First championship game against Leitrim and then most likely have to beat both Mayo and Galway just to win Connacht.

I think the fact that they are in Division 1 next year makes them a good bit less attractive for an ambitious manger compared to if they were in Division 2.
    If they were in Division 2 a new manager would have far more scope to fly under the radar a bit, get some wins under the belt and have a lot more opportunity to try things. In Division 1 the new manager will be under the gun from the get-go battling to avoid relegation. Maybe with a new manager they will do a Galway and challenge for the league title but Roscommon would look to be more in line with those teams who get relegated from Division 1 because they were that bit too good for Division 2 but look short of having enough to stay in Division 1.

The fact that the County Board is under serious money pressure is a massive negative for any potential manager. From the way McStay described it, it seemed like he was constantly dealing with money issues. No manager at any level wants that.
    After over a decade away from Div one next year will be Roscommon's 3rd year in Div 1 in the last 4 years. Its when Roscommon was established Div 3 team that the position really wasn't attractive

The last time Roscommon was promoted to div 1 a joint management of McStay and O'Donnell was appointed and their Div 2 league results of 2015 under John Evans was less impressive than this year and they were odds on to be relegated back to Div 2 in 2016 but ended up reaching the Div one semi final and were one point off from beating Galway in the Connacht final in Salthill.

I can imagine that joint management team didn't come cheap either and whatever management team is appointed next probably won't cost as much. The objectives should be to win 3 of their 7 NFL games and to prepare to the best of their ability for the championship which should include better fitness and defending better as a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

You're right, but the program had Padraig Kelly down as captain.

Not sure what happened there but his behaviour hasnt changed over the years whether captain or not. He has gotten away with far too much.

Joint captains i think. Personally think joint captains and joint managements are a load of boll*x but Brigids have had joint captains in the past. They had joint captains when they won the All Ireland.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Saying Roscommon are not a Division 1 side would be a lie!

I do see what you're saying, but it's coming from a negative mindset - like those (and there were plenty of them) who say it would be better for Roscommon to stay in Division 2! Which is complete nonsense.

If you want to improve you play better opposition on a regular basis. No point stagnating in Division 2 when you could be playing in Division 1. You know precisely where you stand by playing the best teams regularly and you improve because you have to!

Unfortunately, Roscommon is full of people with inferiority complexes, most of whom love to give their (negative) opinion on all things football related, but the truth is virtually none of these people have ever been involved in high level sport and haven't a clue what they're talking about. I know I'll take flak for that but having lived here most of my life and having been involved in more than one sport at high levels I feel I'm qualified to give that opinion.

You talk of Roscommon being favourites to be relegated and you are right. However, if you look at Galway this time 12 months ago, they were in the exact same position. And yet with the introduction of just one defensive coach, using virtually the exact same players, they went from being walloped by Roscommon in their own back yard and a very, very insipid performance against Kerry to a League Final, a Connacht title, beating Kerry in Croke Park for the first time in decades and an All-Ireland semi-final appearance. And I honestly don't think Galway have an outstanding panel of players that were just under-performing. They just bought into a system and as it worked their confidence grew. And that's the key! Confidence. Belief. Two things Roscommon are not renowned for.

I'm not talking pipe-dream stuff here, despite what readers of this will think. There are numerous examples of supposed 'weaker' teams in sport being taken over by the right person and completely changing the mindset. Just look at what Jim McGuinness did with Donegal. Don't tell me they were in a better spot than Roscommon are now when he took over. They weren't. They were actually in a significantly worse position.

As you correctly stated the finance issue is huge, which goes hand in hand with the fact that consistently, year in year out, Roscommon people have to look outside the county for employment. That makes it so much more difficult on players travelling huge distances, rest, etc. There are no simple solutions to that problem unfortunately.

All we need is the right man for the job. Who that is I really don't know, but it's a complex situation coming to a county like Roscommon, where REAL belief is always in short supply. There are plenty of quality players in Roscommon, they just need the right guidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

some awful nonsense on this place today, the players just arent there, they were a laughing stock in the super 8

• Advertisement

some awful nonsense on this place today, the players just arent there, they were a laughing stock in the super 8

Biggest load of nonsense I read on here today was that.

Advertisement