Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep abortion out of Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

GarIT wrote: »
    That's why I said a zygote is an egg with some of the DNA properties of the sperm. The difference is like the difference of when someone does a complete makeover. It has not developed at all from the way it was when it was an egg it has just addapeted to have half the developmental characteristics of the sperm, it is no more advanced than an egg.

I never like to tell people they're wrong, but I have to tell you that now. An egg that has been fertilised undergoes a dramatic transformation, forming a fertilisation membrane. It no longer is an egg. The DNA rapidly multiple, forming new cells, doubling rapidly.

Your reasoning is deeply flawed.

muppeteer wrote: »
    No argument over when conception occurs, you have missed the point I was trying to make entirely.
    Your original argument was based on your view that a potential for human life is always there and so should be protected. I was pointing out that the potential for a human life is also contained within a sperm and egg before they meet so under your logic they should be protected also.

I attempted also show, using this logic, your further question of what it would be like for a mother to meet her aborted zygote as an adult, could be also asked of anyone who has brought sperm or eggs even close together. A woman who has never even been pregnant, let alone had an abortion, could have flushed out hundreds of eggs or even unemplanted zygotes over her life time. Should she have mourned the loss of potential life every time she had her period?

No, because she didn't actively go out and kill her child. There is a big difference between an egg/sperm and a zygote. One is an egg/sperm,one is a zygote.

I thought you would have learned that in Junior Cert. science?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I never like to tell people they're wrong, but I have to tell you that now. An egg that has been fertilised undergoes a dramatic transformation, forming a fertilisation membrane. It no longer is an egg. The DNA rapidly multiple, forming new cells, doubling rapidly.

Your reasoning is deeply flawed.

That's like saying after the egg is fertilised it becomes a baby. At the instant of conception all it is, is an egg with altered DNA. Yes it does rapidly begin to change. But the term used by some of the posters is the change at the instant of conseption, when it becomes a baby. But what im saying conseption -1 second is basically the same as conseption +1 second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No, because she didn't actively go out and kill her child. There is a big difference between an egg/sperm and a zygote. One is an egg/sperm,one is a zygote.

JC scince book says only the DNA structure changes. Then development begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

I know quite well the difference. I am trying to deal with your argument that the potential for human life requires the same protections as actual human persons.
    If she actively prevents the sperm and egg from developing into a zygote is that murder? If she actively prevents the zygote from developing into a zygote +1 day is that murder? If you think that it isn't in the first case and is in a latter, due to the potential for human life, then the potential for human life reasoning is flawed.

muppeteer wrote: »
    I know quite well the difference. I am trying to deal with your argument that the potential for human life requires the same protections as actual human persons.
    If she actively prevents the sperm and egg from developing into a zygote is that murder? If she actively prevents the zygote from developing into a zygote +1 day is that murder? If you think that it isn't in the first case and is in a latter, due to the potential for human life, then the potential for human life reasoning is flawed.

Once conception takes place, a life is formed. Your reasoning is below par. We are talking about the formation of the zygote. I view that as a human life, and scientists have identified it as an organism-living and actively dividing.

Pro-Abortionists have a very simplified view of the matter, and choose to ignore important details to suit their own opinion. It makes me feel physically ill to think of a child aborted at 22 weeks, when children have survived when born before that. At 4 weeks, all major organs have been formed and the child has a nervous system.

Do a bit of research into abortion, and the actual tearing of the baby away from the mother's uterus. There are many methods of termination, that is one commonly practised in the US. A doctor removes the baby with an elongated forceps. I have seen it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Declan Lander

Abortion and birth control is a useful legal way of pruning humans.
    Thankfully most of the sky fairy believers are starting to ignore their own teachings on birth control and abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Abortion and birth control is a useful legal way of pruning humans.
    Thankfully most of the sky fairy believers are starting to ignore their own teachings on birth control and abortion.

Undercover fundamentalist nutter? ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Exactly. Therefore, the mother should care for her child and not go out and kill him/her. It is the mother's job to protect her child. Regardless of whether you believe the child is a life or not, the potential for life is always there. Hence, by terminating the life of her unborn child, the mother is terminating the life of a human being, who would have grown into a baby, toddler, child, teenager and finally an adult, having so many life experiences on the way.

I often wonder how a mother who ended her baby's life would react if she could see her child grown up, speak to her child and watch him/her celebrate their birthday, open presents at Christmas and everything special that a child would normally experience.

If the terminated child had an option, do you think they would choose death?

You could ask the same about the child I didn't have by not having unprotected sex last night. Or the night before. Or the night before. Or the night before. etc etc

There are probably hundreds of thousands of non-existent yet potential children that I never created. Since when do any of us worry about that?

Zombrex wrote: »
    You could ask the same about the child I didn't have by not having unprotected sex last night. Or the night before. Or the night before. Or the night before. etc etc

There are probably hundreds of thousands of non-existent yet potential children that I never created. Since when do any of us worry about that?

We're talking about the deliberate termination of a life-Abortion.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »

You religious types are the nutters, I live in reality.

You religious types are the nutters, I live in reality.

By making flippant, short posts like that, you undermine the group you support even more.

You may think you live in 'reality', but judging from your posts, it seems you live in a world where idiocy and ignorance reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Once conception takes place, a life is formed. Your reasoning is below par. We are talking about the formation of the zygote. I view that as a human life, and scientists have identified it as an organism-living and actively dividing.

Pro-Abortionists have a very simplified view of the matter, and choose to ignore important details to suit their own opinion. It makes me feel physically ill to think of a child aborted at 22 weeks, when children have survived when born before that. At 4 weeks, all major organs have been formed and the child has a nervous system.

Do a bit of research into abortion, and the actual tearing of the baby away from the mother's uterus. There are many methods of termination, that is one commonly practised in the US. A doctor removes the baby with an elongated forceps. I have seen it done.
    You view a zygote as human life and so do I. The difference is that I do not consider a zygote to be a human person with the same ethical standing as those human persons with brains.
    You sought to justify your belief that a human zygote deserves to be treated as a human person by appealing to the argument that it has the potential to develop into a human person. The same logic can be used to protect separate sperm and eggs as they also can develop into a human person. And before you deflect again, yes I am perfectly aware that a zygote is a very early stage, live, human DNA capable of becoming a human person, and likewise sperm and eggs are separate, live, human DNA capable of becoming a human person.

Well no actually we were talking about the potential for life

"Regardless of whether you believe the child is a life or not, the potential for life is always there."

Your words.

As for the termination of a life you terminate approx a million lives every time you go to the bathroom (bacteria in your stomach). We don't care because bacteria are not persons, they are just cells. A zygote is not a person either, it is just cells. It has no more the properties we value in a person than the bacteria does.

This is why no one, including the anti-abortion crowd, bats an eye lid at the startling fact that approx 8 out of 10 embryos are rejected by the woman's body before or soon after implantation.

Do we weep for this staggering loss of life, as we might if 8 out of 10 5 year olds in the Sudan died of malnourishment? Nope. Why? Because no one really thinks they are children. They are just cells, not persons.

Until an embryo develops the properties we value in live it is not valuable, by definition. No one values something simply because it is alive No one values something simply because it has unique DNA (which is why the sperm and egg are not valued). Banning abortion before that period seems to be more about controlling women than any genuine concern for the protection of persons, since a person does not exist yet and won't for weeks into the pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

what is the difference between the prevention of life and the termination of life ?

You may think you live in 'reality', but judging from your posts, it seems you live in a world where idiocy and ignorance reigns.

That's religion, I don't inhabit your sky fairy mumbo jumbo world. So off you go to pray to Odin, Thor, Neptune, Mars or Zues, or whatever the current fashion is. Abortion on request is coming to Ireland, like it or not.

That's religion, I don't inhabit your sky fairy mumbo jumbo world. So off you go to pray to Odin, Thor, Neptune, Mars or Zues, or whatever the current fashion is. Abortion on request is coming to Ireland, like it or not.

Just what I'd expect from a childish poster like you. That's paganism, not Christianity.

As for the comment that I said, 'regardless of whether you regard it as life or not,, the potential for life to exist is there'. To the poster who brought up that, I believe from the moment of conception that the zygote is a human being. I was referring to the argument the pro-abortion group make.

We all make our own decisions in life, I choose to support life. Pro-Abortionists choose to ignore certain stages of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

He has lasted three posts more than he did in A & A. :D

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

That depends on whether they still are maintaining their neural connections and whether they still have the ability to produce consciousness.

People in comas don't have the ability to produce consciousness, if they did they wouldn't be in a coma.

An embryo has no person to sustain, the "person" does not exist yet, where as in the case of the coma patient the person does exist and if they can do all the above, continues to exist.
    Saying when a person does and doesn't exist is opinion, it's simply convenient that your opinion matches your stance on abortion,
    I find most of the pro-abortion arguments about when life begins to be rationalising, I don't see why nobody says yes we are killing a human, a person, an individual, however at the moment it has no memories or consciousness and nobody wants to raise it so we will terminate it and nothing of value has been lost. Accept it as morally wrong but necessary.

• Advertisement

yammycat wrote: »
    People in comas don't have the ability to produce consciousness, if they did they wouldn't be in a coma.

That isn't true, people wake up from coma's all the time. Being a coma is not the same as being brain dead.
    Saying when a person does and doesn't exist is opinion, it's simply convenient that your opinion matches your stance on abortion

It is not a question of convenience, my stance on abortion is based on my opinion of what is or isn't a person.

The ironic thing is that most people (including anti-abortion proponents) when they think about it, tend to agree with this position of what is or isn't a person (ie that a person is the individual consciousness contained in the bodies brain), yet take a contradictory position when it comes to abortion. I personally find this rather amusing, particularly when the person doesn't realize they are doing it.
    I find most of the pro-abortion arguments about when life begins to be rationalising, I don't see why nobody says yes we are killing a human, a person, an individual, however at the moment it has no memories or consciousness and nobody wants to raise it so we will terminate it and nothing of value has been lost.

That is what they say, except since it doesn't have memories or consciousness or personhood, it isn't a "person", it is just a bunch of cells.

The fact that it is human means very little. Both the sperm and the egg cells are human, but few cry over their loss.
    Accept it as morally wrong but necessary.

Since no person is being destroyed, and since personhood is what we value (not cells or DNA) it is not morally wrong.

In my experience a lot of anti-abortion proponents can tell you that abortion is wrong but have a very hard time explaining why. Why is human live valuable? What properties of human life make human life valuable? What is it we considered important about human existences?

When pressed on these issues the answers end up remarkably close to my position, or the person just gets angry and walks away, sure that it is wrong but unable to explain why. My theory to this is that a lot of anti-abortion proponents do not actually consider these cells as having particular value (hence why few get upset at the idea of early miscarriage), but instead do not like the idea that a woman would not wish to have a child, or the idea that there should be consequences to having sex and that sex should not be treated as consequence free.

That isn't true, people wake up from coma's all the time. Being a coma is not the same as being brain dead.

people wake up from gestation all the time too, it takes a few months but it is far more likely to occur than it will for a person in a long time coma

It is not a question of convenience, my stance on abortion is based on my opinion of what is or isn't a person.

that's pretty much the definition of convenience
    The ironic thing is that most people (including anti-abortion proponents) when they think about it, tend to agree with this position of what is or isn't a person (ie that a person is the individual consciousness contained in the bodies brain), yet take a contradictory position when it comes to abortion. I personally find this rather amusing, particularly when the person doesn't realize they are doing it.

and again someone in a coma is no more conscious than an embryo,
    That is what they say, except since it doesn't have memories or consciousness or personhood, it isn't a "person", it is just a bunch of cells.
    again someone in a coma has no memories, ask someone in a coma what is their fondest memory and then ask an embryo and tell me the difference, it is possible that they may have the ability to have memories in the future just as an embryo could

The fact that it is human means very little. Both the sperm and the egg cells are human, but few cry over their loss.
    thats nonsense, i'm pretty sure you realise a sperm or an egg alone could never gain consciousness

Since no person is being destroyed
    Please state 'in my opinion' when making such claims as to negate the implication of fact.

, and since personhood is what we value (not cells or DNA) it is not morally wrong.
    so since personhood is what we value and not cells or DNA it's not morally wrong for me to abort your baby or your wifes baby, slip a pill in a drink, of course early enough that it would cause no harm to you or her, i would simply be denying something you or her wanted, a bit like not giving you or her a job you wanted or a pair of shoes you wanted to buy.

In my experience a lot of anti-abortion proponents can tell you that abortion is wrong but have a very hard time explaining why.
    In answer to that I would simply say in order for you to hold the opinion that abortion is cool you had to have not been aborted, you have safely passed through that precarious time , been born and now safe and alive condemn others in that situation to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

death.

What is 'death' and when is a person dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Wh1stler

so since personhood is what we value and not cells or DNA it's not morally wrong for me to abort your baby or your wifes baby, slip a pill in a drink, of course early enough that it would cause no harm to you or her, i would simply be denying something you or her wanted, a bit like not giving you or her a job you wanted or a pair of shoes you wanted to buy.

Wow! There are so many things wrong with this statement that I could reply with a tome. But I won't because your statement's inanity speaks for itself.

Firstly, the collection of cells in Zombrex's wife's body are not yours to give so it is nothing like you being a shoe salesman and refusing to serve a customer.

Secondly, if you can suggest that it is not morally wrong to 'slip a pill in a drink' in order to cause a miscarriage then you must also believe that it is not morally wrong to steal.

If someone starts to build a house and then decides to abandon the project then that is okay.

If someone starts to build a house and then you come along and destroy their work then that is not okay.

Do you see the difference?

You have royally shot yourself in the foot and shown a profound lack of understanding.

You might as well have written: 'If abortion is okay then it is morally acceptable for me to murder my next-door neighbour.'

or,

'If it is morally acceptable for you to drink whiskey then it is okay for me to force-feed you whiskey.'

Ridiculous and we on the pro-choice side of the debate salute you; it is as if you are on our side considering the damage you are doing to your own cause.

Thank you. :D

What is 'death' and when is a person dead?

Death is the doorway to a changed existence and a person is dead when it passes through that doorway.

Wh1stler wrote: »

Firstly, the collection of cells in Zombrex's wife's body are not yours to give so it is nothing like you being a shoe salesman and refusing to serve a customer.

The point was aborting her baby while causing no harm to her was not morally wrong, no harm was caused, I was merely denying her a worthless object such as a shoe.
    Secondly, if you can suggest that it is not morally wrong to 'slip a pill in a drink' in order to cause a miscarriage then you must also believe that it is not morally wrong to steal.
    Don't see how you come up with that, I gain nothing from aborting , stealing implies taking something of value from someone in order to gain financially myself and a) an embryo is worthless as has been stated and b) i gain nothing
    If someone starts to build a house and then you come along and destroy their work then that is not okay.
    As has been stated again and again an embro is a worthless collection of cells, there is a difference between it and a house, a comparison would be me knocking down your house to plucking a hair from your head, one would result in severe repercussions and the other no repercussions because a few cells have no value unlike a house
    Do you see the difference?
    Do you see the difference, either an embryo is worthless or it isn't , you can't have it both ways

we on the pro-choice side of the debate salute you; it is as if you are on our side considering the damage you are doing to your own cause.

Thank you. :D
    I am on your side as I have said previously in thread, I don't care how many embryos are aborted, I just like to be honest about it and say it's a necessary evil.

• Advertisement

people wake up from gestation all the time too, it takes a few months but it is far more likely to occur than it will for a person in a long time coma

People don't "wake up" from gestation, any more than they wake up from being a sperm. The body grows a brain and then starts using it. Before than happens there isn't a person to wake up.

The common analogy is the difference between turning your computer back on (to retrieve all your data), and buying a completely new PC with nothing on it yet. If the data is what is valuable how valuable is the new PC with no data. Not very. How valuable is the PC full of data? Very valuable.
    that's pretty much the definition of convenience

No it isn't, it has little if anything to do with convenience. Are you sure you don't mean "arbitrary" instead?
    and again someone in a coma is no more conscious than an embryo,
    And again that is not true. Their brain is ticking away, sustaining itself and its precious neural networks that contain the person's personality, consciousness and memories.

An embryo has no brain, and thus cannot have any of these things.
    again someone in a coma has no memories, ask someone in a coma what is their fondest memory and then ask an embryo and tell me the difference, it is possible that they may have the ability to have memories in the future just as an embryo could

You do not lose all your memories by being in a coma, I've no idea where you got that idea from.
    thats nonsense, i'm pretty sure you realise a sperm or an egg alone could never gain consciousness

A zygote alone could never gain consciousness. Stick a zygote in a dish and leave it out in a lab and see what happens (hint: nothing)
    Please state 'in my opinion' when making such claims as to negate the implication of fact.
    If you have a better definition of a person I'm all ears.

The immorality of such an act would stem from the invasion of bodily privacy. You have no more right to invade a woman's body to abort her pregnancy than you have the right to slip her a pill to make her infertile, or rape her to make her pregnant.

This is assuming you agree with the concept of bodily privacy?
    In answer to that I would simply say in order for you to hold the opinion that abortion is cool you had to have not been aborted, you have safely passed through that precarious time , been born and now safe and alive condemn others in that situation to death.

Since the person doesn't exist there is no "others" contemned to death. There are just cells. And since when has anyone cared about cells dying? You kill millions of cells just by going to the bath room.

The point was aborting her baby while causing no harm to her was not morally wrong, no harm was caused, I was merely denying her a worthless object such as a shoe.

Don't see how you come up with that, I gain nothing from aborting , stealing implies taking something of value from someone in order to gain financially myself and a) an embryo is worthless as has been stated and b) i gain nothing

A shoe is not a person. It has no rights, it is not seen as in anyway valuable in of itself the way a person is (ie valuable to itself).

Does that mean you can steal my shoes? No, it doesn't. They are valuable to me because I want them, and they are mine. I might in the future decide to throw them out because I don't want them any more, but that still doesn't mean you can steal them now. I decide what happens to my shoes.
    Do you see the difference, either an embryo is worthless or it isn't , you can't have it both ways

By that logic shoes either have to have unalienable right to exist or you can steal them.

Not sure you thought that one out properly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

An interesting development in Arizona and relevant for some of the debate here:

http://rt.com/usa/news/arizona-bill-conception-abortion-387/

Under Arizona’s H.B. 2036, the state would recognize the start of the unborn child’s life to be the first day of its mother’s last menstrual period. The legislation is being proposed so that lawmakers can outlaw abortions on fetuses past the age of 20-weeks, but the verbiage its authors use to construct a time cycle for the baby would mean that the start of the child's life could very well occur up to two weeks before the mother and father even ponder procreating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

It is funny how many people report memories from the womb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Or from the first few months of life

• Advertisement

Sin City wrote: »
    Or from the first few months of life

or even from their past lives

Or from when they were kidnapped by aliens.

Or from when they were kidnapped by aliens.

or in the womb in a past life and kidnapped by aliens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

doctoremma wrote: »
    An interesting development in Arizona and relevant for some of the debate here:

http://rt.com/usa/news/arizona-bill-conception-abortion-387/

Under Arizona’s H.B. 2036, the state would recognize the start of the unborn child’s life to be the first day of its mother’s last menstrual period. The legislation is being proposed so that lawmakers can outlaw abortions on fetuses past the age of 20-weeks, but the verbiage its authors use to construct a time cycle for the baby would mean that the start of the child's life could very well occur up to two weeks before the mother and father even ponder procreating.

That is who pregnancy is calculated here in Ireland.
    You do a test they ask what was the first day of your last period and taa dah your THAT pregnant, despite the fact you may not have been pregnant for the first 2/3 weeks of that time.

Sharrow wrote: »
    You do a test they ask what was the first day of your last period and taa dah your THAT pregnant, despite the fact you may not have been pregnant for the first 2/3 weeks of that time.

Yes but it appears that the morning after pill will become a 'murder weapon' in Arizona.

The in-mates really are running the asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Sharrow wrote: »
    It's a very interesting situation.

Let's say you know when you conceived, exactly two weeks after the start of your last period.

When a doctor says you are 21 weeks past the start of your last period, therefore considered 21 weeks pregnant, therefore you are unable to proceed with a termination, can you argue that you KNOW you are only 19 weeks pregnant? Won't women just begin to lie about when their last period was?

marienbad wrote: »
    or in the womb in a past life and kidnapped by aliens

Well my wife as a child had a memory of an event that happened while she was in the womb. As a small child she asked her mother about event X. Her mother was amazed that my wife had any knowledge of it as she was still in the womb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Well my wife as a child had a memory of an event that happened while she was in the womb. As a small child she asked her mother about event X. Her mother was amazed that my wife had any knowledge of it as she was still in the womb.

i have memories from when I was only months old. Its not quite from the womb, but it is mad having such memories:) I actually remember being wrapped up in my pram as my mum and sister were running with it as it was lashing rain. The strongest part of the memory is that I remember feeling really happy, like I was really secure and delighted that i was wrapped up all snug. I even remember that it was a brown pram. I remember my mum saying, 'we never had a brown pram', and I was like, 'Well the prams colour is vivid in my head'. Later, my sister said, when we were in Butlins, they had rented a pram which was brown, and that I was only a few months old. And that solved the great mystery of what I was remembering. Aaaaanyway, just thought I'd share that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

BTW, The abortion topic is to go before the Dail soon. There was an Anti-abortion group outside the Dail yesterday. May be an idea to mail your local TD to remind them that there is still a lot of us opposed to it.

Have you discussed this with your mother-in-law?

• Advertisement

Have you discussed this with your mother-in-law?

Yes - she backs it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Keylem

JimiTime wrote: »
    BTW, The abortion topic is to go before the Dail soon. There was an Anti-abortion group outside the Dail yesterday. May be an idea to mail your local TD to remind them that there is still a lot of us opposed to it.

Done it several times! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Keylem wrote: »
    Done it several times! ;)

Great! and I'm going to campaign for pregnancy testing kits to be sold only by registered agencies. It would work like this: You would go to these agencies to take a test. If the test proves positive - you surrender your passport until the birth, or until you can prove that you have miscarried. What do you think?

After all, we are a Catholic country.......

Great! and I'm going to campaign for pregnancy testing kits to be sold only by registered agencies. It would work like this: You would go to these agencies to take a test. If the test proves positive - you surrender your passport until the birth, or until you can prove that you have miscarried. What do you think?

Yes and a piece of legislation that requires every woman to submit to a pregnancy test after every act of intercourse would tighten up the law even further.

We might have to drop the education system entirely in order to fund this but the 'rescue' of even one 'non-person' would justify it.

(terms and conditions apply)

People don't "wake up" from gestation, any more than they wake up from being a sperm. The body grows a brain and then starts using it. Before than happens there isn't a person to wake up.

On a one to one basis i'll show you hundreds of people happily living their lives after waking from gestation for every single long term coma patient who revived, and again you state your opinion as to brain development equaling personhood, thats an unquantifiable, and could be used as an excuse to teminate far more than just embryos, lets go for 8 month pregnancies or even post natal termination, or perhaps mentally retarded children because if personhood is linked to brain development anything is on the table,

The common analogy is the difference between turning your computer back on (to retrieve all your data), and buying a completely new PC with nothing on it yet. If the data is what is valuable how valuable is the new PC with no data. Not very. How valuable is the PC full of data? Very valuable.
    Yes, thats a very common analogy, all the time i hear the value of human life being compared to pc parts, like when my gran was dieing and they told my mother it would cost an arm and a leg to keep her alive or she could buy a new one at compustore for a lot less, good point well made.

No it isn't, it has little if anything to do with convenience. Are you sure you don't mean "arbitrary" instead?
    you have an opinion and all the 'facts' you state just happen to agree with your opinion, yes thats convenience.
    And again that is not true. Their brain is ticking away, sustaining itself and its precious neural networks that contain the person's personality, consciousness and memories.
    An embryo has no brain, and thus cannot have any of these things.
    Sustaining itself ? as in feeding itself, keeping itself warm in a cosy bed ? cleaning up the urine and feces its body produces ? paying for it's hospital bills ? working a few hours a day perhaps ?

How about no, it isn't sustaining itself, it is infact a far sight harder to sustain than an embryo and it is no more conscious and has no more personality than an embryo, again if i put an embryo behind one screen and a coma patient behind another no matter how long you were given you couldn't tell which was which
    You do not lose all your memories by being in a coma, I've no idea where you got that idea from.
    If it isn't retrievable it isn't a memory

A zygote alone could never gain consciousness. Stick a zygote in a dish and leave it out in a lab and see what happens (hint: nothing)
    a coma patient alone could never gain consciosness, stick a coma patient in a field and leave it and see what happens (hint nothing)
    lol yea it works both ways

This is assuming you agree with the concept of bodily privacy?
    Yes I do and thats why i think abortion is wrong, I know you don't agree with bodily privacy, if you do please state the exact and I mean exact time as to when you gain the privilege of bodily privacy and what happens at that point in time that confers the right upon you. That is a question you can never answer because you don't know, there is no answer to that unless you start talking about Gods breathing a soul into a baby when the cord is cut or some other nonsense like that.

I can't distinguish between young earth creationists who try to scientifically prove the flood and those who try to use science to 'prove' unborns are not people.

I'll tell you why you value coma patients more than embryos, because you are a sentimentalist, you can imagine little maggie in her pigtails crying beside momies bed hoping, dare i say praying that she wakes up, i can see the tears in your eyes now thinking about it. You cry over dead puppies while munching on a beefburger.

Bottom line is if nobodies cares it's worth nothing, if a little girl will cry over it we muct use all of our resources and medical expertise to save it, god forbid a little girl crying, I can feel a lump in my throat now just typing.

On a one to one basis i'll show you hundreds of people happily living their lives after waking from gestation for every single long term coma patient who revived, and again you state your opinion as to brain development equaling personhood, thats an unquantifiable, and could be used as an excuse to teminate far more than just embryos, lets go for 8 month pregnancies or even post natal termination, or perhaps mentally retarded children because if personhood is linked to brain development anything is on the table,

Yes, thats a very common analogy, all the time i hear the value of human life being compared to pc parts, like when my gran was dieing and they told my mother it would cost an arm and a leg to keep her alive or she could buy a new one at compustore for a lot less, good point well made.

you have an opinion and all the 'facts' you state just happen to agree with your opinion, yes thats convenience.

Sustaining itself ? as in feeding itself, keeping itself warm in a cosy bed ? cleaning up the urine and feces its body produces ? paying for it's hospital bills ? working a few hours a day perhaps ?

How about no, it isn't sustaining itself, it is infact a far sight harder to sustain than an embryo and it is no more conscious and has no more personality than an embryo, again if i put an embryo behind one screen and a coma patient behind another no matter how long you were given you couldn't tell which was which

If it isn't retrievable it isn't a memory

a coma patient alone could never gain consciosness, stick a coma patient in a field and leave it and see what happens (hint nothing)
    lol yea it works both ways

Yes I do and thats why i think abortion is wrong, I know you don't agree with bodily privacy, if you do please state the exact and I mean exact time as to when you gain the privilege of bodily privacy and what happens at that point in time that confers the right upon you. That is a question you can never answer because you don't know, there is no answer to that unless you start talking about Gods breathing a soul into a baby when the cord is cut or some other nonsense like that.

I can't distinguish between young earth creationists who try to scientifically prove the flood and those who try to use science to 'prove' unborns are not people.

I'll tell you why you value coma patients more than embryos, because you are a sentimentalist, you can imagine little maggie in her pigtails crying beside momies bed hoping, dare i say praying that she wakes up, i can see the tears in your eyes now thinking about it. You cry over dead puppies while munching on a beefburger.

Bottom line is if nobodies cares it's worth nothing, if a little girl will cry over it we muct use all of our resources and medical expertise to save it, god forbid a little girl crying, I can feel a lump in my throat now just typing.

My, we have got our knickers in a twist haven't we?

A coma patient represents an investment. An aborted foetus does not.

A coma patient was nurtured, educated, married; a coma patient represents the hopes and dreams of others.

A coma patient has contributed to taxes.

A coma patient is a half-written book.

A coma patient is a person.

None of the above applies to an undeveloped foetus; the two are not equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I just realised...

Pro-lifers, 9/11 conspiracy heads, and those people who think jetstreams are poisoning us all....

i view them all the same....

eldwaro wrote: »
    I just realised...

Pro-lifers Anti-choice for women, 9/11 conspiracy heads, and those people who think jetstreams are poisoning us all....

i view them all the same....

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

FYP.

fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Catholics and other Christians cannot vote for the Labour party when they support abortion.
    They are fundamentally an anti-Christian party, headed by a former workers party politician who had links to questionable regimes...and feels at home with the Chinese and their human rights abuses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement