Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

galtee boy wrote: »
    I don't get Channel 5 on the epg though .. it's not a FTA channel on Sky .. FTV card required to view it .. interesting that you get it !!

Do you have a London region ftv card ? The London version of Channel 5 is still encrypted. I have just done as instructed in the posts above and can merge all UK channels into my Irish EPG, except Channel 5, despite having the fta version of it in my "other channels", but my ftv card is a London one and I can only assume it won't import Channel 5, because it's looking at the encrypted one. As someone said in previous posts, this "merging" of the two epgs, only works for fta UK channels, that are stored in other channels. I can't import BBC1 HD or Channel4 HD, even though they are fta, because I didn't have them stored in "other channels" and can't store them now, because they are DVB S2 and can't be added manually to a Sky box. That said, I'm delighted to have 101 BBC1, 101 RTE1, 102 BBC2, 102 RTE 2 etc. And as previously said, despite duplicating of channel numbers, all recordings, series link etc works fine. I deliberately set the box to record 101 (BBC1) and 101( RTE1) at the same time and it worked, no problem. We're probably shooting ourselves in the foot here, with all this publicity, how long before Sky send some sort of "signal" to nobble this quirk in their system ?

Can we just delete this thread now that I've spread the word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

On a Sky+ HD box you need a FTV card to get back to a UK epg.

Are you serious? This is news to me. So, when I cancel my account, I'm gonna have to buy an FTV card to use it as an FTA box?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

christo82 wrote: »
    Are you serious? This is news to me. So, when I cancel my account, I'm gonna have to buy an FTV card to use it as an FTA box?
    Don't think so. You only need the card to get CH4 HD and 5 HD (although I can't get 5 HD using my NI TFV card)!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

christo82 wrote: »
    If it's an old Thomson box it will default to English EPG but the new boxes don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Out of curiosity, did you use a ftv card and what UK region is it belonging to ?

Yes, its an old card I have. Got it in Newry about 5 years ago.
    I presume its an Northern Irish card as I have UTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

blueser wrote: »
    Just tried it, and it works (up to a point). I have a NI FTV card and I do get UTV on 103 as well as TV3 and 5 on 105 along with 3e. However, I don't get Ch4 HD on 140 or BBC1 HD on 143 (which I would get if I unplugged the box and inserted the FTV card.

As I said earlier, you can't add BBC1 HD and Channel 4 HD to the epg, because you don't have them stored in "other channels" and you can't store them now, because the Sky box won't recognise DVB S2 channels. But as usual, much wants more ( myself included ! ), we can put SD BBC1,2,ITV1,2,3,4, Channel 4, ITV 1 HD, BBC News etc into the Irish epg and yet, we're not happy ! We would have "killed" for this all along. But, will it last ? How long before the likes of TV3 see this and get on to Sky about people being able to add UTV to the ROI epg ?I know it's a very small minority of us anoraks, that go to the "trouble" of ftv cards etc, but that won't do any good, if Sky think this is a potentially serious problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Enjoy it lads while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

I think when TV3 see this thread they will be onto sky to close out this loophole. I don't think sky would particularly care and in fact I seem to recall one time they were doing a phone survey asking people if recording from other channels was a function people were interested in having. I hope its a software loophole that sky cant close but for now lets enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lafayette

Hey Guys,

I have a Thomson Sky+HD Box and I also have an old blue Sky FTV card set for ITV West Midlands.

I cant seem to get this to work at all.

In my "other channels" I have ITVHD, ITV2,3,4, Five, BBC News.

Any help?

lafayette wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I have a Thomson Sky+HD Box and I also have an old blue Sky FTV card set for ITV West Midlands.

I cant seem to get this to work at all.

In my "other channels" I have ITVHD, ITV2,3,4, Five, BBC News.

Any help?
    It won't work on a Thomson box.

• Advertisement

danny004 wrote: »
    I think when TV3 see this thread they will be onto sky to close out this loophole. I don't think sky would particularly care and in fact I seem to recall one time they were doing a phone survey asking people if recording from other channels was a function people were interested in having. I hope its a software loophole that sky cant close but for now lets enjoy it.
    I don't think Sky will give a hoot but it's those idiots at ITV3 oh sorry TV3 that will kill this.

I think the mods should remove this thread.

200motels wrote: »
    I think the mods should remove this thread.

I agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

As I said earlier, you can't add BBC1 HD and Channel 4 HD to the epg, because you don't have them stored in "other channels" and you can't store them now, because the Sky box won't recognise DVB S2 channels. But as usual, much wants more ( myself included ! ), we can put SD BBC1,2,ITV1,2,3,4, Channel 4, ITV 1 HD, BBC News etc into the Irish epg and yet, we're not happy ! We would have "killed" for this all along. But, will it last ? How long before the likes of TV3 see this and get on to Sky about people being able to add UTV to the ROI epg ?I know it's a very small minority of us anoraks, that go to the "trouble" of ftv cards etc, but that won't do any good, if Sky think this is a potentially serious problem.
    As it happens, I have got BBC1 HD in my ''other channels'' (added before the change to DVBS2!). And I am aware that
    1. ITV1 HD is not available on the EPG in Northern Ireland (do have it in other channels, BTW).
    2. Channel 4 HD is not ''add-able'' to the other channels menu (it is, however, on the EPG in NI. The same applies to 5 HD).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Right, made another discovery, turns out you need to save the correct regional variations in 'Other Channels' to match your FTV cards region and then those channels remain. Hopefully that'll sort out this for those that currently can't get it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Hi guys I need to find out how to be able to get Channel 5 like the rest of my channels. I want to be able to record Big Brother for the Mrs. I really know nothing about this so I really need you to break it down for me very simply. I have no idea what a FTV card is. I need to know if it is possible to be able to get Channel 5 like the rest of my channels. I have the regular Sky+ and Channel 5 is on my "other channels" thanks.

houseplant wrote: »
    Hi guys I need to find out how to be able to get Channel 5 like the rest of my channels. I want to be able to record Big Brother for the Mrs. I really know nothing about this so I really need you to break it down for me very simply. I have no idea what a FTV card is. I need to know if it is possible to be able to get Channel 5 like the rest of my channels. I have the regular Sky+ and Channel 5 is on my "other channels" thanks.
    It won't work on the normal Sky+ box, a FTA card is giving out by Sky to UK customers for 20 pounds for those who don't want to subscribe to Sky and they get all the free to air channels, to get one over here you could try ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Is there different regions for Channel 5?
    I can get everything except 5.Have a northwestern FTV card.

celj wrote: »
    Is there different regions for Channel 5?
    I can get everything except 5.Have a northwestern FTV card.

Yes, there are at least 3 different scrambled ones and one FTA one, is the one in your 'Other Channels' the FTA one?

gtg60 wrote: »
    Yes, there are at least 3 different scrambled ones and one FTA one, is the one in your 'Other Channels' the FTA one?

It's the one thats in the tuning guide here.
    Is there other frequencies somewhere on the net?

Wife wants to watch Big Brother so its the channel I need!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

It won't work on the normal Sky+ box, a FTA card is giving out by Sky to UK customers for 20 pounds for those who don't want to subscribe to Sky and they get all the free to air channels, to get one over here you could try ebay.

Sorry to be pedantic but it is a FTV (free to view) card and not FTA (free to air). A sky box without any card becomes a FTA box similar to Freesat except with a few more channels on EPG e.g. Sky News. AFAIK a FTV card costs now c£25 for those in UK and gives extra channels on EPG rather than just FTA e.g.Five and its associates as well as correct BBC/ITV regions on Channels 101-103. Without this card the box defaults to BBC1 London/BBC2 England /ITV 1Central West.

Sorry to be pedantic but it is a FTV (free to view) card and not FTA (free to air). A sky box without any card becomes a FTA box similar to Freesat except with a few more channels on EPG e.g. Sky News. AFAIK a FTV card costs now c£25 for those in UK and gives extra channels on EPG rather than just FTA e.g.Five and its associates as well as correct BBC/ITV regions on Channels 101-103. Without this card the box defaults to BBC1 London/BBC2 England /ITV 1Central West.
    Okay that's what I meant to say, the new HD boxes don't default to the English epg they default to the Irish Epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Great info just tried this & now have all itv's on epg but c5 did not stay on epg!! Followed steps as posted but to no avail, samsung hd box & london region ftv card used

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Okay that's what I meant to say, the new HD boxes don't default to the English epg they default to the Irish Epg.

No problem. Often feel its unfair that those with 'Irish' HD boxes end up with nothing to see on 101-4 when there's no card in the box whereas those in UK at least get default channels 'in the clear.'

bodonnell wrote: »
    Great info just tried this & now have all itv's on epg but c5 did not stay on epg!! Followed steps as posted but to no avail, samsung hd box & london region ftv card used

Same as me!!
    Hopefully someone here will come to our aid soon!!!

bodonnell wrote: »

This is because C5 is encrypted in London region and requires a FTV card to view. The channels you have on the epg are Free To AIR .. and associated with the region of your FTV card

This is because C5 is encrypted in London region and requires a FTV card to view. The channels you have on the epg are Free To AIR .. and associated with the region of your FTV card

But I have a Northwestern card (granada) and mines doing them same?

Is there a different channel 5 frequency we can tune into other channels???:confused:

Lads, looks like you need the right FTV card to get channel 5 in the clear, so far it seems only mine works and it's region is BBC South West / ITV West country.

Hopefully we'll be able to build a list of which FTV cards give all the channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Did this earlier today and I get BBC1 and BBC2 Wales along side RTE on Epg and UTV on 103 instead of HTV also theres no ITV HD on the Epg.I used a Welsh region old blue FTV card.Both regions are in my other channels.
    Any ideas why this should happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Did this earlier today and I get BBC1 and BBC2 Wales along side RTE on Epg and UTV on 103 instead of HTV also theres no ITV HD on the Epg.I used a Welsh region old blue FTV card.Both regions are in my other channels.
    Any ideas why this should happen?

Did you get ITV2/3/4 and BBC News in the EPG?

Advertisement