Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's relationship with Sky

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

e

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Where did the €160 figure come from? You cannot throw that out there and then ignore it when people ask you to clarify it. Your ramblings about BBC Prime was not an answer. Do you have cold hard facts about that annual payment to BBC Worldwide or did you pluck the number from thin air? If you want people to respect your opinions then please back them up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Andy454 wrote: »
    I disagree with your opinion that that "The mutual benefits you are talking about are no longer equally reciprocal".

Yea, people currently subscribe to Sky/UPC to watch RTE something they can get already get for free off the air waves....

If RTE truly believe this they should try go it alone, switch off the UPC and Sky transponders and disconnect from approx 500,000+ homes (approx 1.5 mil people) - I'd sooner them try this than risk yet another hike in the cost of my subscription...

It is funny that RTENL what broadcasters to pay for carriage on DVB-T Network, but then want Sky to pay for them to be carried on theirs!! -Again I don't see too many broadcasters lining up to be on Irish DVB-T network.....

Sky jack up their prices every year without fail. They need no excuse and they will continue to do so until the market says no. They are near that point.

Over 90% of the TV that people actually watch is FREE and people will eventually find out. I know many people who do not switch because:
    1. They do not know that they can do it easily.
    2. They think it is illegal to receive BBC for free.
    3. They do not know how to go about it.
    4. They never get round to do it - they have more pressing things to do.
    5. They are brainwashed by the extremely high level of Sky marketing. They believe in better - even though it is extremely expensive. I do not think a week goes by but I receive several leaflets from Sky offering me a TV package that I currently get for free.

If RTE impose a charge on Sky and UPC and that charge is passed on, some/many will ditch the pay TV. If those providers drop RTE, then that will be the spur to cause most to drop Sky and UPC - more so Sky, because Freesat is so easy to install in place of Sky. Getting Saorview will be relatively easy to do if you have to if you want to restore RTE.

It is unlikely that RTE would be dropped if a charge was imposed, and it is almost certain that the charge will be passed on by Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

e

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

It came from thin air.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Andy, are you going to answer the numerous questions on your statement on the €120 or are you going to continue to ignore them?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Andy, are you going to answer the numerous questions on your statement on the €120 or are you going to continue to ignore them?
    He has removed every piece of sh1t that he has posted in this thread.

With a bit of luck he wont be back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I wonder how all this will be affected if the EU's proposal to ban geo-blocking comes to fruition

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/03/26/european-commission-wants-to-abolish-geo-blocking/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

STB. wrote: »
    The reason why RTE is encrypted through CAS on 28.2 is that they do not own the rights for programming to broadcast outside its own juridisdiction (Ireland) free to air. It has nothing to do with Irish cards ending up in boxes in the UK. This already happens with Irish Sky subscribers in the UK with Irish addresses.

The mutual benefits you are talking about are no longer equally reciprocal. RTE has the highest ratings across all platforms in Ireland. They can pull their services from Sky if they want (with legislative change). Their mandate is to provide a free to service to the Island of Ireland, not pander to some two bit foreign susbcription company.

Rule No in Business for dummies is Sky need RTE more than RTE need them. A bit like Sky needed BBC and ITV more than the €15m+ they were charging them in "carriage" fees to be carried in the UK & Irish subscription market.

You can believe what you want, but its Irish law. OFCOM have no role in Ireland. Sky requested the channel under Section 77 of the Irish Broadcasting Act 2009. Under the must offer rule RTE must provide the channel. Under the must carry rule, Sky must carry the channel without extra charge to its customers.

Legitimately ? Overspill ? Imported Freesat boxes ? Are we stuck in the 90's here ?

Any DVB-S2 Satellite receiver can pick up the BBC's ITV's Ch4's Ch'5s Film Fours E4s etc etc free to air, in HD too. Infact in Ireland most FTA customers use Combo DVB-T/Satellite boxes, both ordinary and linux to view the mix of both Saorview and the free UK channels, "legitimately".

Thankfully, Satellite positions do not recognise borders.

The Astra 2A and 2B positions cover the majority of Europe. Astra 2D the tighter beam covers all of Ireland and the UK.

0_astra_2_North_H.jpg

RTE's market share is well captured by AGB Nielsen/TAM. The audience share hasnt changed in the last 10 years. Its not progaganda, and the advertisers use it as such. This is how the broadcasting industry works in any country.

I havent even read the rest of your post as it struck me as the ramblings of a madman. What was all the capitalised letters about ? Anyhow, you have some strange and misguided views on Irish Broadcasting and broadcasting in general. Do you reside in the state ? :)

Great reply.

Advertisement