Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Hi All

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but anyone given any more thought to an Eindhoven meetup? We've been to O Sheas a few times now but find that 90% of the people in there are Dutch. It seemed like there were more Irish people there before, but the only Irish people I've seen in there recently are the owners. As stated before find them a bit rude, and don't really enjoy going in there because of it.

I've done a bit of research and there are GAA clubs in Amsterdam, Den Haag and I think Maastricht. Would anyone be interested in one here in Eindhoven? I'm willing to do a bit of work on it, but I haven't played Camogie since school so would probably need some help :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Hi All

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but anyone given any more thought to an Eindhoven meetup? We've been to O Sheas a few times now but find that 90% of the people in there are Dutch. It seemed like there were more Irish people there before, but the only Irish people I've seen in there recently are the owners. As stated before find them a bit rude, and don't really enjoy going in there because of it.

I've done a bit of research and there are GAA clubs in Amsterdam, Den Haag and I think Maastricht. Would anyone be interested in one here in Eindhoven? I'm willing to do a bit of work on it, but I haven't played Camogie since school so would probably need some help :).

The club in Maastricht haven't any playing teams (anymore?) I believe. They have some GAA officials though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Amsterdam GAA

Yeah unfortunately Maastricht don't have the numbers over last few years to have a team, but put in a lot of work to help organise tournaments.

I think it'd be good to see a team down in the south. We have players from across The Netherlands; A'Dam, Groningen, Utrecht, Nijmegen etc...and one of our Groningen based players has suggested maybe trying to set up training in Groningen in 2012 for the guys based up the north, and then play as part of Amsterdam as they wouldn't have enough players for a full team in their first year of training. Then build up into it's own club after a year or so as more people get involved. Possibly the same idea could be implemented down in Eindhoven.

Anyways, anybody interested in getting involved in the gaa scene in The Netherlands, or if you want advice on setting up a club down there, no problem giving me a shout..corcoran.david@gmail.com or 06-10135761.

Cheers,
    David

http://amsterdamgaa.blogspot.com
    http://www.amsterdamgac.nl

Hey all.

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from any Irish people in Eindhoven so there must not be as many people here as I thought :(. I've been in contact with http://europegaa.eu with a view to setting something up, but if we don't have the numbers we can't do anything. If anyone is interested, do PM me or even reply here.

I think Eindhoven is a great place as it's perfectly central in the East so people from Venlo, Den Bosch and Breda can all get here easily.

David, if you hear from anyone else let me know, as I have the time to spare at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

elefant wrote: »
    I'm going over to A'dam to do my master's in September. Did my erasmus in Groningen last year and loved it. Seems like a no-brainer to go back out. The higher-education is a fraction of the price, and hopefully I'll have a decent standard of Dutch when I finish. I became really conscious of how desirable it is to be multi-lingual when I was in the Netherlands... Only speaking English and Irish isn't too useful!

I'm hoping they don't scrap the student grant and free transport for master's students before I start there. Word on the street is they're talking about doing away with it. Still... cannot wait to get back again. Ireland became a seriously depressing island while I was away!

Hi, I was thinking about doing a masters in the Netherlands - a 60 credit one.
    Just wondering how easy it is to qualify for a grant there. If you have any information on that, I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Hey all.

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything from any Irish people in Eindhoven so there must not be as many people here as I thought :(. I've been in contact with http://europegaa.eu with a view to setting something up, but if we don't have the numbers we can't do anything. If anyone is interested, do PM me or even reply here.

I think Eindhoven is a great place as it's perfectly central in the East so people from Venlo, Den Bosch and Breda can all get here easily.

David, if you hear from anyone else let me know, as I have the time to spare at the moment.

I lived in Eindhoven for about 18 months and now live in Arnhem.
    Looked at setting up a club in Eindhoven as well but it is a lot of work (much more than expected). I play for Den Haag and also talked to European GAA development agent but he recommended playing with Den Haag first and getting people involved first.
    We even looked at training in Eindhoven once a week or once every two weeks to get people involved but the interest isn't there. There isnt a dutch camogie team but if you get involved with a club in europe thenb it is very easy to travel to tournaments and join teams that are short players. If you want any information feel free to PM me as I have been here about 4 years now. A lot of people from Eindhoven have played withg Den haag so if you wanted to join a training I could meet up with you.

I lived in Eindhoven for about 18 months and now live in Arnhem.
    Looked at setting up a club in Eindhoven as well but it is a lot of work (much more than expected). I play for Den Haag and also talked to European GAA development agent but he recommended playing with Den Haag first and getting people involved first.
    We even looked at training in Eindhoven once a week or once every two weeks to get people involved but the interest isn't there. There isnt a dutch camogie team but if you get involved with a club in europe thenb it is very easy to travel to tournaments and join teams that are short players. If you want any information feel free to PM me as I have been here about 4 years now. A lot of people from Eindhoven have played withg Den haag so if you wanted to join a training I could meet up with you.

Well it was more to have contact with other Irish people living in the area, and maybe to try and help them settle in when they get here- we know what it's like, and had met some people working here in passing who said they were going home most weeks or even after a few months because they missed it. I thought maybe GAA was a good start, as it's something we all have in common to some extent. I know it would take a long time and alot of work but I wanted to see if there was any interest in it because we have to start somewhere.

We used to live in Den Haag and know lots of Irish people there but the point is to mobilise the troops here. It's a bit too far for us to travel on a regular basis for training, I don't think the dog would be too happy being left at home or in the car for hours on end :).

esperanza1 wrote: »
    Hi, I was thinking about doing a masters in the Netherlands - a 60 credit one.
    Just wondering how easy it is to qualify for a grant there. If you have any information on that, I'd be very grateful.

You need to work 32 hours a month to qualify for the grant and the free transport as a non-dutch citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

Hi all,

I know this thread is a little dated but sure it's worth a shot. I've just moved to Arnhem and was wondering were there any boardsies around the general area of Utrecht?? I'm only learning the language so a few people to hold a conversation with would be only smashing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

bambismom wrote: »
    Hi all,

I know this thread is a little dated but sure it's worth a shot. I've just moved to Arnhem and was wondering were there any boardsies around the general area of Utrecht?? I'm only learning the language so a few people to hold a conversation with would be only smashing. :)

Are you looking to learn Dutch or English? I am living in Arnhem myself so if I can help you at all then PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Hi there,

I thought I'd throw in my ten cents worth here. I'm looking into heading over that way shortly to check the place out with a view to possibly working there for a little while. I am hoping to attend the I'm not a tourist Expo in Amsterdam while there. Without having been in the country for more than a day trip in the past I can't say now where I might like to end up, but on paper Eindhoven is holding an appeal at the moment. It might be a good place for some of you to meet up with more Irish over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Masstricht and Utrecht are also lovely cities. Not sure of the work situation though...

Yes I have been to Maastrict briefly. It did appear to be a lovely historic city. Fantastic buildings.

And yes, the job situation is altogether another thing. I'm qualified/experienced in management and accounting, but might consider going down the hospitality route for the sake of my travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

I'm living in Haarlem currently. It's a lovely city only 15 mins from Amsterdam by train. It's near to Hoofddorp too and it's only a 20min cycle from the beach at Bloemendaal or Zandvoort.

Will my Irish driving licence do in The Netherlands? Or if not, what steps do I need to go through to remedy that? Cost? etc

What's the pay like in the hospitality sector? Barmaid, waitress, receptionist etc We're talking entry level jobs here.... Just a ball park figure...

I hear the bus service is awful. Shocking manners on the part of the bus drivers. etc. True or False?

Is there holiday pay? & Relative to Irish system?

How are the Irish liked by the natives? Ever experience any 'racism'?

What does 'Lekker' mean????

I hear eating out is expensive... Can you avail of a sandwich bar type snack at a reasonable price?

That's it for now...

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Will my Irish driving licence do in The Netherlands? Or if not, what steps do I need to go through to remedy that? Cost? etc

Yes it will do.
    What's the pay like in the hospitality sector? Barmaid, waitress, receptionist etc We're talking entry level jobs here.... Just a ball park figure...

No idea
    I hear the bus service is awful. Shocking manners on the part of the bus drivers. etc. True or False?

False. Bus services (and public transport in general) is excellent. Bus drivers are grand. In fact, I'm often amazed at the patience of tram and bus drivers in Amsterdam with tourists.
    Is there holiday pay? & Relative to Irish system?

Vakantiegeld is paid each year around May. I believe it's 8% of your yearly salary extra.
    How are the Irish liked by the natives? Ever experience any 'racism'?

I've never had any problems. The Irish seem to be pretty well liked over here.
    What does 'Lekker' mean????

It means 'tasty', although the Dutch use it for a wide range of ways to describe something positive.
    I hear eating out is expensive... Can you avail of a sandwich bar type snack at a reasonable price?

Prices vary greatly from city to city in my experience. The Dutch are crazy about sandwiches (Belegde Broodjes), but I don't know of any sandwich bar chains here apart from Subway.

Moving to the Schijndel region in January. Are there any meet ups there that I could gate crash?

Eindhoven or Den Bosch would be closest to you, there are Irish bars in both but tbh we find the one in Eindhoven a bit cliquey. There are expat Meetups in Eindhoven, and a big following for Couchsurfing.

Thank you for that DenHaagenite. Much appreciated. I will look them up when I get there. When you say a big following for couchsurfing, how do you mean? I get the concept of couch surfing, but what did you mean by the big following bit?

Thanks

They arrange their own meet ups. Indoor climbing, board games, parties, pub crawls- I've never actually done any couchsurfing but we've met alot of people at the events in Eindhoven. It suited us when we moved here as we enjoy travelling and at the time the expat group was quite small and a the people were a bit older than us.

• Advertisement

I will look it up. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Are there are sites in the Netherlands that would be like Daft.ie that list flats and houses for rent?

Anyone here living in Tilburg?

http://www.marktplaats.nl/z.html?query=&categoryId=2143&postcode=tilburg&distance=0

If you search in google.nl for anything related to the Netherlands you will have a better chance of finding what you need.

Use 'Huis te huur' - House to rent.

CptSternn wrote: »
    Are there are sites in the Netherlands that would be like Daft.ie that list flats and houses for rent?

Anyone here living in Tilburg?

www.funda.nl do have some rentals, ie in Tilburg http://www.funda.nl/huur/tilburg/+5km/0-900/

There are alot of expats of different nationalities in Tilburg, even more in Eindhoven which is 20 minutes by train, so it's possible that if you just Google "House for rent in Tilburg area" there will be plenty to find. Beware though, as soon as some agencies hear "expat" they tend to take advantage.

Have attempted meetups here before and nothing materialised, are you coming here for work or uni?

Have attempted meetups here before and nothing materialised, are you coming here for work or uni?

Going for my third interview Monday with a company in Tilburg. They are supposed to let me know then if I have the position. It's full-time so I'll be moving there.

In regards to the agencies, is it true they all charge you a months rent for their own fees when you find a place?

It is possible, every agent is different so may charge a percentage of the rent. Good luck with the interview!

Cheers for that.

Is there a place like Argos in the Netherlands?

There's an Ikea?

Actually there are quite a few of them...

The Argos equivalent would be kijkshop, lots of ikeas around the place too. Worth looking in the second hand shop (kringloopwinkel) as the have excellent quality old furniture and bikes. Even vintage clothes if you're lucky! Do check out the expat information centre in Tilburg, if they have one. If not, the one in eindhoven.

• Advertisement

Ikea = awesome. Thanks again for your help sure!

So I got the postion. I am moving to Tilburg in two weeks. Maybe after I find a place to live we can have an ex-pats night out sure. Oddly enough the company I will be working for has a lot of Irish there so it should be good craíc.

I'm a bit far away from you or I would take you up on that. I'm near Den Bosch. Congratulations. Enjoy. and well done. :)

I'm heading out for a few pints in Tilberg is anyone wants to meet up for a pint msg me sure.

Was in Geldrop on Saturday, but for anyone who's interested Villagers are playing in Utrecht on the 9th of March. Anybody want to have a meetup at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Was in Geldrop on Saturday, but for anyone who's interested Villagers are playing in Utrecht on the 9th of March. Anybody want to have a meetup at that?

Might be around then, I will let you know!

http://www.meetup.com/The-Brabant-Adventures-Meetup/

I've gone to a couple of these hiking trips. People from all nationalities there. It makes for a nice way to spend a day over the weekend, and maybe get to see a part of the country you wouldn't otherwise see. Might be of interest to you guys. It's a god awful website, but the principal behind it is good. Worth a search through. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sant1

Anyone here who lives in zoetermeer?

Next important question -

Ziggo or KPN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

CptSternn wrote: »
    Next important question -

Ziggo or KPN?

I'd say Ziggo purely because cable is pretty reliable and you get advertised speed.

KPN is 'ok' but if something goes wrong it takes an age to get sorted.

Checkout http://www.internetten.nl
    Stick in your postcode and house number and it will give you a list of all providers available.

Plus if you move house its easy to just take the modem and plug it in at the new place, with our cable modem (with UPC though) it was activated in 2 days.

In the Hague it took 3 months to sort the bloody line out with KPN.

Didn't make it to Utrecht in the end, but Villagers are playing again in Maastricht on the 30th of April. More info here: http://www.wearevillagers.com/live.html

Anyone interested in meeting up at this or at another time/ place? We could make a poll :)!!

Anyone know of a good place to find a babysitter in Tilburg or any websites or services in the Netherlands that might be of use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I have friends in Breda, I'll ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

http://www.oppassen.nl/

Some friends in Amsterdam use this one

What's everyone up to for Koninginnedag?

• Advertisement

Being republicans. :P

My partner is pretty anti monarchy so he doesn't care much about it. My daughter is roughly the same age as the new crown princess, though, so she's super excited about it. I think we're going to a friend's house in Maarseen to watch the pomp and ceremony on the telly, and then if the weather allows we'll go to the local festivities. Then back home to catch up on some tv and sink some beers.

Being republicans. :P

Don't worry, it's not THAT Queen! ;)

Register anyway and tell the landlord to get stuffed. You signed a lease, I hope? That's all you need as proof of address. He cannot stop you from registering and in fact is breaking the law by preventing you from registering.

My partner is suggesting that your landlord may be registered to your address and claiming benefits there. That's his problem. Go and register. Otherwise demand your deposit back and get somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Register anyway and tell the landlord to get stuffed. You signed a lease, I hope? That's all you need as proof of address. He cannot stop you from registering and in fact is breaking the law by preventing you from registering.

My partner is suggesting that your landlord may be registered to your address and claiming benefits there. That's his problem. Go and register. Otherwise demand your deposit back and get somewhere else.

Probably not benefit... more likely the tax rebate on the mortgage interest.

Where'd the post go? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement