Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enslaved: Journey to the West

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

debating whether or not to buy this, I like the look of it. Have heard its a "melee centric uncharted" and some mixed reviews...

anyone got it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

maximoose wrote: »
    anyone got it yet?

Its being discussed in the Games forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Does anyone know if you start a new game, do you keep your upgrades or are they reset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'll be looking at this the next day. Knew nothing about it but just played the demo and I really liked it. They took some cool direction. It's this or Castlevania.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

played the demo this morning and wasn't that impressed with the shakey camera/gameplay

might reconsider when the price drops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

maximoose wrote: »
    played the demo this morning and wasn't that impressed with the shakey camera/gameplay

might reconsider when the price drops
    Try renting it. I've played one solid day of it and will probably finish it tonight. After that I'm going to trade it in for something else. It's a good game, but has pretty much zero replayability. I'm glad I played it and kind of glad I got through it as I've enough games that need to be finished. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Thoroughly enjoyed the game for it's characters, animation and story. Unfortunately as I'm sure has been well-covered the combat system is about as deep as a puddle the platforming is far too on-rails.

Hopefully the developers will experiement a bit more with the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Just finished it there now. Nothing revolutionary in any area but very solid overall.I really enjoyed it. I wont be playing it again though. Good to see some original games like this rather than just another FPS,racer etc.
    A sequel that rectifies the (minor) faults with this game would be very welcome.

I can't stop playing it. Going back through on hard trying to find all the orbs and masks. The masks aren't so bad but christ the orbs. I've three levels stuck at 97, 99 and 99 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

EPIC GAME!!! Get in there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Loving it so far, just not sure how to feel about the safe jumping mechanics, I'm thankful for it at times, but it does remove a sense of freedom and risk.

Yea - if it was totally free-form it would probably be the worst game in the world after the 1000th random sideways jump.

I think if they had added a lot more combos/moves/throws etc. to the combat and maybe a choice as to what path to take through each level it would take a lot of the repitition away and push the score higher.

As it stands it's a good game, but one or two decisions along the way when designing the combat and levels were the difference between it being a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Because the Monkey TV show is itself based on an ancient Chinese myth. Last year or maybe a bit longer Damon Albarn wrote an Opera based on the same myth too. I like that the game has adapted that myth in a way because it kinda shows the growth of video-game as astory-telling medium, that you have a myth/story that's been adapted in every other art-form to date being made effective in a video-game and told in a way that only a video-game could do it.
    Yeah the myths and stories comes from a book whose name translates to Journey to the West and it was written over 500 years ago. When I first saw the name of the game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, I immediately thought it sounded very similar to the name of the book. I didn't realised that it's not a coincidence until I played the demo.

Monkey the tv show was based on Journey to the West and so was Dragonball/DragonballZ. The reason I mention this is cause the main characters hair looks suspiciously like that of a super saiyan :P I also saw a clip where the main guy rides some surf board that looks like the nimbus cloud.

PS: I guess whoever created the thread might know all this too as the word Journey is used instead of Odyssey which should be the official word in the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Rented it despite being fairly unimpressed with the demo and unsurprisingly found myself equally unimpressed with the full game. (the little part I played of it, anyway)

Bland, limited combat... I couldn't be bothered mashing X any longer, so never found out if you get to unlock any new combos. Jumping from platform to platform without the fear of failure seems utterly pointless. Try pressing random directions and mashing A for a few minutes, then start another dull fight. Lather, rinse, repeat...

The colour palette is horribly garish too, and lip syncing is surprisingly bad considering I've seen some people comment on how good it is...:confused:

Can't really see what all the fuss is about to be honest. Kudos to the devs for trying something a bit different, but it just didn't gel together properly as far as I'm concerned.

You can unlock certain moves when you collect more orbs tman. There's a power-attack that charges with consecutive hits that when unleashed produces a fairly cool combo thing.

There's also unlockable counter-attacks etc.

Nothing you said though I can disagree with - it was quite repetitive however I bought it moreso for the story and IMO it was strong enough to gloss over the cracks in gameplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah from what little time I had with it it seems like a very very shallow game but it flows well from set piece to set peice and has the presentation to back it up. I'd probably enjoy it but I'll wait until the price drops before I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I thought it was a great game. The characters and dialogue were brilliant, the story was really good and it looked gorgeous.
    The combat was a little bit button mash but you could upgrade and get new moves plus there was the staff weapon as well so I wasn't too bothered by that.
    I read that sales of the game haven't been too good so a sequel is probably unlikely, which is a shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I rented it, and flew through it in around five days, and while it was far from perfect, there was a lot that impressed. As said, the setpieces are a highlight. There are a few near the start particularly where you're facing off against gun turrets. Using cover while timing decoys is pretty exhilarating, and a smooth hybrid of platforming and fighting created quite unique scenes. Of course, it's strictly linear, but the illusion of a dynamic battle was there: a cool hybrid of both cinematic and gaming norms. The game doesn't necessarily advance beyond the basics introduced in the first chapter - although there are moments that impress throughout, such as the fantastic final level. There are also some big flaws - the 'cloud' missions feel too contrived and pointless (and the chase sequences particularly are too shoddy to be fun), while the ending is a pretentious, out-of-place mess. But overall, it's a refreshingly unique single player experience with colourful locations, innovative action and interesting characters. It's different, and often successful, and for that applause is most certainly due.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I like. Been meaning to play it for ages, but only got around to it. It's easy, even on hard, but it's fun, great story and great characters. Only 20e in Xtra Vision too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just finished this one lately myself too. I thought it was fantastic stuff. The relationship between Monkey and Trip really drive the game. I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun this game was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Same here rented it last week, hated the demo, and only really got into it after chapter 2 when the characters stared to come through. In the end I actually really enjoyed it.

Had no idea Alex Garland (28 days later) had written it until the credits at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

If you get a chance get the Pigsy's dlc, the little story it tells is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

rizzla wrote: »
    If you get a chance get the Pigsy's dlc, the little story it tells is amazing.

I wasn't a big fan of Pigsy's character (though he did make me laugh), so I don't think I'll bother with the DLC.

Advertisement