Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enslaved: Journey to the West

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Any idea if HMV have a blu-ray deal on today for this considering the guy who wrote it has written loads of sci fi films im sure one of them could come free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Seems like I'm the only one who wasn't blown away by this...

Cutscenes were lovely looking, but I found the colour palette to be absolutely garish! Uncharted got the bright colours just right, this hasn't imo...
    The jumping sections of the gameplay almost felt on the rails... Can you even mistime jumps and die?
    Then there's the combat... Judging by the video that plays at the end of the demo it never really branches out from the limited moves that you're given, so I can imagine that getting old pretty quickly.

I'll still rent it mind you (and most likely end up eating my words), but it just didn't give a very good first impression...

tman wrote: »
    Seems like I'm the only one who wasn't blown away by this...

Cutscenes were lovely looking, but I found the colour palette to be absolutely garish! Uncharted got the bright colours just right, this hasn't imo...
    The jumping sections of the gameplay almost felt on the rails... Can you even mistime jumps and die?
    Then there's the combat... Judging by the video that plays at the end of the demo it never really branches out from the limited moves that you're given, so I can imagine that getting old pretty quickly.

I'll still rent it mind you (and most likely end up eating my words), but it just didn't give a very good first impression...

Thought the same with the jumping but im hoping that they did that because you are in a rush in the demo and when exploring the city it gets better. Still God of war never branched out beyond button bashing and spinning around and thats good.

No deal in HMV but i did trade Alpha protocal and got 28 for it in xtravision so im happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I was excited to see this coming.
    But was also left under-whelmed by the demo - maybe it was just a bit loose or something - but it just did not click with me.

Might try it again - as this is a game I had really wanted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

The demo videos remind me too much of the 2008 Prince of Persia and I really don't need to play that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Uuugh it's so not like POP, give it a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just picked it up there, can't wait to get stuck into it tomorrow now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a feeling that once the graphical sheen wears off this one it will be a very vapid experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've a feeling that once the graphical sheen wears off this one it will be a very vapid experience.

Considering every review I've read has praised the writing, story and performances, I'm not sure I agree with you. It looks nice sure, but I don't think that's what has people interested in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

CombatCow wrote: »
    Uuugh it's so not like POP, give it a chance!

I reserve the right to make my mind up about games without having played them;)!

Even if it isn't like POP (which I quite enjoyed but found a bit tiresome long before the end) I have missed too many AAA games over the last 12 months for this to make it onto my list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yes sir!, sorry sir....

/runs off crying

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

I got this game today and tbh im quite a bit disappointed it just seemed to play itself a bit too much for my liking. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Is this console only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Considering every review I've read has praised the writing, story and performances, I'm not sure I agree with you.

Strangely, that's the thing that put me off purchasing today. Despite the praise the game is getting, very little of it actually seems to be for gameplay - in fact, most reviews I've read point out that it's fairly par for the course when you're actually playing.

Now, I must say a game with good writing and acting is something I very much welcome, but at least Uncharted 2 - which seem to be very similar in some regards, setting excluded obviously! - had rock solid gameplay behind it. This, by general critic reaction, seems to be excellent presentation but probably only a one play through game. So I'll probably just end up renting it or pick it up when it gets cheap, because 10 hours of great storytelling and pretty standard gameplay isn't something that seems quite worthy of a 45 euro investment. I don't mind short games, as long as every minute of the game feels worthwhile. I for some reason doubt that this is entirely worthy for that reason.

Still, I do want to play, just full price is turning me off. And as I said, well written games are embarrassingly rare, so high profile releases like this are always something I like to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I have just completed a playthrough of this (on normal just!) it's a very good game. The story goes a bit
    matrixy
    later on! pretty cool.

The visuals and voice acting are top notch, as is the story. The combat is well done too, although a tad simpler than other similar games. You can upgrade the staff and shield etc and there's heaps of agility orbs to collect... if you're anal. Some seemed tricky enough to get (i'm a bit anal)

I'm definitely gonna play through it again on a harder difficulty.

Strangely, that's the thing that put me off purchasing today. Despite the praise the game is getting, very little of it actually seems to be for gameplay - in fact, most reviews I've read point out that it's fairly par for the course when you're actually playing.

Now, I must say a game with good writing and acting is something I very much welcome, but at least Uncharted 2 - which seem to be very similar in some regards, setting excluded obviously! - had rock solid gameplay behind it. This, by general critic reaction, seems to be excellent presentation but probably only a one play through game. So I'll probably just end up renting it or pick it up when it gets cheap, because 10 hours of great storytelling and pretty standard gameplay isn't something that seems quite worthy of a 45 euro investment. I don't mind short games, as long as every minute of the game feels worthwhile. I for some reason doubt that this is entirely worthy for that reason.

Still, I do want to play, just full price is turning me off. And as I said, well written games are embarrassingly rare, so high profile releases like this are always something I like to see.

I picked it up earlier, and have just played through the first four chapters, but I'm completely engaged in the story and game now. Really liking it. I wouldn't say the gameplay is crap or anything, I'm enjoying it and there seems to be a bit of variety to it, but the story and characters are definitely the stand-outs in the game. I think I'll be playing through it again though, gameplay isn't revolutionary, but it's very good, and really solid.

I get where you're coming from though, it was for pretty much the same reasons that I picked up Enslaved rather than Castlevania today, I'll wait until I see Castlevania cheap down the line to pic it up. The praise Enslaved was getting for its story and writing though is what made me want to pick it up day one, though I did enjoy the demo too. It's a game that totally went under my radar until about a week ago, had heard of it, but had no interest. Hoping it's going to be the sleeper hit of the winter this year, because they've created a great world and characters. It's without a doubt worth playing, I guess worth-buying is another matter entirely though! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was still trying to choose between this and Castlevania as I walked into the shop today, but 20 hours won out over ten!

Glad to hear it's good though, mighnt have time to squeeze it in before Vanquish though :)

I was still trying to choose between this and Castlevania as I walked into the shop today, but 20 hours won out over ten!

Glad to hear it's good though, mighnt have time to squeeze it in before Vanquish though :)

Yeah it ended up for me that I'd rather 10 hours with an engaging story than 20 hours with good gameplay but a not as interesting story. I think it's partly the mood I'm in at the moment with games anyway. Been playing a lot of games with little of no story so I can play 'em while listening to podcasts, but now I'm craving a game with story and characters and this seemed to fit the bill nicely and have New Vegas in a couple of weeks for story, but a big area I can explore while listening to podcasts, which really will be the best of both worlds!

Forgot to mention too that the music in Enslaved is great too. Really nice score.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Finished the first 5 chapters today. Story and visuals are excellent. Gameplay is solid without being revolutionary. I think overall it's an excellent game which is definitely worth a look.

Its a very solid game and seems to be opening up now that im getting new upgrades enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I really like it! Rented it the other day. It is very prince of persia/assasins creed-ish in terms of all the climbing. It reminds me of beyond good and evil for some reason. It's definitely a one play game though, absolutely no replay value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Anyone happen to notice how much this was in shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Seems like a full priced game, I guess between €44.99 and 49.99.

It was 44.99 in HMV anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, really really enjoying it so far. Kinda reminds me of ICO in parts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm loving i. I think about on the second last chapter now. It looks fantastic and the animations are brilliant. And the story and acting are great (though the story itself is fairly simple, but suitably gripping).

Combat is a bit samey, but I guess that it's more a puzzle platformer, than a beat-em-up. I had some problems with combat where you'd be smacking the hit button and then Monkey would just stand there for a second and put his staff away, while 3 mechs are standing behind him about to swipe. And I couldn't snap him out of this animation, I'd have to just wait for him to finish. There were also a few points when the controls weren't responsive enough to make certain jumps (particularly from falling ledges). There was almost a delay from when I hit the jump button and the character would jump. It only happened a couple of times, but was fairly annoying.

I honestly didn't realise that is was set
    in New York, so when you're on the ship at the start and the wing hits the Statue of Liberty it really changed my expectations of the game. I really wasn't expecting that. The city looks fantastic.

One thing I don't understand is that it's a futuristic version of the TV show Monkey. I mean, why? They didn't need to make it like it at all, they just did. It's a bit bizarre.

But all in all, it's a good game. Not as compelling as Uncharted 2, but still good fun.

humanji wrote: »
    One thing I don't understand is that it's a futuristic version of the TV show Monkey. I mean, why? They didn't need to make it like it at all, they just did. It's a bit bizarre.

Because the Monkey TV show is itself based on an ancient Chinese myth. Last year or maybe a bit longer Damon Albarn wrote an Opera based on the same myth too. I like that the game has adapted that myth in a way because it kinda shows the growth of video-game as astory-telling medium, that you have a myth/story that's been adapted in every other art-form to date being made effective in a video-game and told in a way that only a video-game could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Asmodean wrote: »
    I really like it! Rented it the other day. It is very prince of persia/assasins creed-ish in terms of all the climbing. It reminds me of beyond good and evil for some reason. It's definitely a one play game though, absolutely no replay value.

Definately, finshed it there on saturday. good story, cjaracters, puzzles were'nt too tricky, good game over all. No intention of playing it again, will trade it in towards vanquish or fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Finished this yesterday on hard and it is a great game a bit odd at the end but i really enjoyed it. Im a person who will play nearly every game on easy first time around but i started this on hard and finished it( which is a big thing for me) on hard it is just a great game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Just cleared it there! Can't say I'm enthused about the ending to be honest
    So Gollum created the matrix eh, go figure! Seems like a twist ending just for the sake of it. Felt very rushed and forced IMO

Advertisement