Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Demonstrations/violence only the beginning?

Options
  • 04-11-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else of the view that the scenes in Dublin yesterday were only the beginning of serious protests and violence on our streets ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Yes it's the beginning. When grown men can't feed their kids and keep a roof over their families heads they are going to get very angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Mister men wrote: »
    Yes it's the beginning. When grown men can't feed their kids and keep a roof over their families heads they are going to get very angry.
    Exactly my situation after the Budget i reckon have a nice hoodie scarf and gloves ready !!!! see how our law enforcement like tackling grown adult men

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Definitely.
    The sh1t hitting the fan is finally upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I hear that the Gardai have been in riot training since last March in preparation for this eventuality.
    It's going to happen, at some point Clowen is going to make one cut or tax too many and all hell is going to break loose.
    Might make him sit up and get the finger out......maybe....probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.

Martin Luther king, Jr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

fedor.2. wrote: »
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.

Martin Luther king, Jr.

"When the Industrial Revolution of the nineteenth century brought a rapid increase in wealth, the demand of workers for a fair share of the wealth they were creating was conceded only after riots and strikes."

-John Boyd Orr

“If our colleges and universities do not breed men who riot, who rebel, who attack life with all the youthful vim and vigor, then there is something wrong with our colleges. The more riots that come on college campuses, the better world for tomorrow.”

-William Allen White

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yes it is. The government are only interested in appeasing foreign markets by throwing our money at the banks and dooming us to years of severe budgets for their short sightedness. The unemployment rate continues to rise but they don't give a **** about that - there is no incentive to bring jobs back in to this country. The people of this country (the same people this government are elected to serve) are being ignored by this pack of overpaid arrogant asshats.

I expect things will rapidly spiral downwards after budget day.

"When the Industrial Revolution of the nineteenth century brought a rapid increase in wealth, the demand of workers for a fair share of the wealth they were creating was conceded only after riots and strikes."

-John Boyd Orr

“If our colleges and universities do not breed men who riot, who rebel, who attack life with all the youthful vim and vigor, then there is something wrong with our colleges. The more riots that come on college campuses, the better world for tomorrow.”

-William Allen White

Smart ass;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I hear that the Gardai have been in riot training since last March in preparation for this eventuality.

The Gardai are continually undertaking training to deal with riot situations. There has been a specific Garda Public Order Unit in place for years now.

We have seen far worse "riots" over the last few decades as compared to yesterdays outbreak of scuffles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I hope not but being honest it probably will happen.
    I just don't see how getting violent will prove a point but then everyones patience is wearing very thin & I can understand how a person can lose control.

The next twelve months will be very interesting but I don't think it will be in a good way.

I'm gonna have a one man riot in my town. It's gonna be glorious!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Mister men wrote: »

I've heard some firms these days will let women work for them even after they've married.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

JFlah wrote: »
    Exactly my situation after the Budget i reckon have a nice hoodie scarf and gloves ready !!!! see how our law enforcement like tackling grown adult men
    Chicken s..t idiots like you hiding behind scarf and hoody won't help the situation one bit. I hope some big thick mucker Guard gives you a good hiding. :mad:
    Our 'law enforcement' are public servants & pay taxes too....I am sure they are not overjoyed by the state of the nation either.

wyndhurst wrote: »
    Chicken s..t idiots like you hiding behind scarf and hoody won't help the situation one bit. I hope some big thick mucker Guard gives you a good hiding. :mad:
    Our 'law enforcement' are public servants & pay taxes too....I am sure they are not overjoyed by the state of the nation either.

Yeah, sitting around in a big circle holding hands and singing "Kumbaya" will teach those bastards in the Dáil a thing or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Charlie.

One of the first things I saw watching video footage of the riot was a guy wearning a top with the slogan 'F**K Police Brutality'

That 'riot' had nothing to do with the government budget or education as far as I'm concerned, only a platform for scumbags to act the twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The time for talk has passed.

Fianna Fail are traitors to Ireland. They would sooner bail out their builder/banker friends and foreign bond holders then help their fellow irishmen.

They are traitors to the signatuaries of 1916 and this states founding fathers.

Todays fianna fail is no relation to the party of Dev or Lemass.

Shame! Shame on you Cowen and your gob****e friends around the cabinent table. You are a fat lazy incompetent drunk who's policies as minister for finance have directly lead to the situation we are now in and your too much of a pussy to fess up!!

Look at the so called "republican party" vote down the people of Dublin SW and Waterford democratic right to elect a representative today in the Dail, and for what? just so you can hold on to power for another few weeks!!

Scum! Traiterous Scum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Chicken s..t idiots like you.......

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Charlie. wrote: »
    One of the first things I saw watching video footage of the riot was a guy wearning a top with the slogan 'F**K Police Brutality'

That 'riot' had nothing to do with the government budget or education as far as I'm concerned, only a platform for scumbags to act the twat.

I agree.
    I think a lot of future protests will attract a crowd of idiots whose sole intent is to cause as much damage as possible. Which is sad because people need to be listened to & those protesting won't get much hop if it turns into a street brawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

The gardai are there simply to keep order. I hate what the government has done to our nation but we can't simply take out our frustrations on innocent employees of the state. They're just doing their jobs, like the rest of us.

If all that anger was directed towards something more productive---like perhaps a huge online/TV/radio petition for a general election, things would happen.

But no, we're Irish. So we bitch, moan, argue amongst ourselves, swing fists at gardai, and generally feel hard-done-by.

So it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Boo feckin hoo.

Typical middle class attitude. ''violence doesn't solve anything''. It solves some things. And the gov. will only listen to economics. So when police riot gear has to be replaced, the streets have to be cleaned up and a few shops (hopefully only McDonalds etc.) get smashed up, they''ll think "We're paying for people to hate us''. Direct action always works on people who only think economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Im sorry but have people forgotten we are irish! we have a long history of violence!

The "violence doesnt solve anything" brigade should read up on a bit of history, especialy a certain easter week in 1916!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

the violence yesterday had nothing to do with the protest or the students

it had to do with scumbag troublemakers using any excuse to cause trouble

if we continue to allows the swp and their like hijack protests like this then yes it is only the begining

the violence yesterday took all media coverage away from the actual issue which suits the goverment fine

anyone who is actually planning violence as a form of protest is a ****ing retard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

BickNarry wrote: »
    Boo feckin hoo.

Typical middle class attitude. ''violence doesn't solve anything''. It solves some things. And the gov. will only listen to economics. So when police riot gear has to be replaced, the streets have to be cleaned up and a few shops (hopefully only McDonalds etc.) get smashed up, they''ll think "We're paying for people to hate us''. Direct action always works on people you only think economically.

what utter crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Yes, as more pressure is put on the ruling class, they get scared and beat the people back into submission. This cannot be allowed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

PeakOutput wrote: »
    what utter crap

How articulate of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

fedor.2. wrote: »

Martin Luther king, Jr.

You gotta fight for your right to party
    Horovitz, Adam; Rubin, Rick; Yauch, Adam;

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hotfeet

Congratulations and well done to USIT on the protest, pity the media chose to deliberately ignore the central tenet and concentrate on the violence of a few,,,,,, but wait,,, the few who staged a sit in were violently remopved by pumped up gaurds, so who initiated the violence ?
    We have been living in a police state for a number of years now, but because of the likes of the Provos, J Gilligan and their ilk we were duped into allowing the state to moe or less do what they like with our civil liberties and freedoms, its a grave misconception to even remotely believe that big brother is not watching you. I worked for the Justice Dept', I know what they are up to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

None of the bitching and moaning has done anything to help the irish people or the economy or jobs or anything so a new approach is needed imo.

Action > Words

Advertisement