Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save on shaving ( Fathers day Pressie)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So I started with an extremely dull blade that I should have dumped 2 or 3 weeks ago. I applied the layer of shaving foam to the flat surface and followed the procedure, pushing forward 3 or 4 times, or more like 7 or 8 seeing as it was the first time and the blade was completely dull. At first I was disapointed and thought it was a dud because it didnt have the brand new, impossible to hurt yourself no matter how fast you go feel of a new blade, but then I remembered how bad this blade has felt every morning for the past 2 weeks and I realised that compared to that it had definitely been sharpened, there were no snags and no burning irritation around my chin, also one sweep was enough for a clean shave where before it was 2 or 3 swipes. My face is now smooth as a babies like it had been shaved with a brand new blade whereas yesterday it would have still had a thin bit of stubble that would have ben itching by the afternoon.

So a definite thumbs up from me, it definitely did the job it advertised, just got to see how long I can eke out this blade with it to get an idea of how fast it'll pay for itself, Id say very soon though considering the state of the blade yesterday compared to today. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Ordered mine on Tuesday after 18.00 and arrived today ( free delivery). So top marks for speed of dispatch. Thanks Thargor for the live test ( free guinea pig) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

not really on topic but close,
    i have one of those desperate dan beards( 5 o clock shadow at 10am):( and use gillette fusion blades so i go through alot of blades in a month.
    but saw this on tv one day and tried it, not believing it would work, but it did!! made them last a least twice as long. and its easy: when you finish the shave rinse the blade and drop it in a capful of oil (i used extra virgin olive oil just cause it was handy:D) and leave it til you need it again. think the oil stops the rust or something but it does work!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Sound like the biz. I stocked up on Fusion Razor blades when in US and coming near the end of my supply. Its painful paying so much for the blades so hoping this will be the job for me..will let ye know how it goes as have just ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I'm getting one.
    There has been far too much good stuff said about this yoke.
    When I get home tonight I'm going to sift through the bin in the bathroom for blades I've chucked over the last few weeks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

OK so I couldn't wait until this morning to shave so I did it last night!
    Anyway, used a blade that had about 4 previous shaves on it and it felt grand, I can't say it felt amazingly super smooth but I think that's often down to my skin, if I shave every day I easily cut.
    So yes it felt grand and I will continue to use the blade for as long as I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Mine arrived yesterday also but haven't used it yet. I intend starting with a fresh blade tonight though and seeing how long it lasts as opposed to trying to resurrect a used one.

I wanna see pics! pics or gt*o! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I've ordered mine, will let y'all know how it works out! I have about 20 blades at home from ordering in bulk on ChemistDirect, so I should be set for about 15 years! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kevin11

Am on shave 45 at moment for a fusion blade..
    Going ok so far as was only getting about 15 normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Bit the bullet as well. Really looking forward to testing it out

Same. Mine arrived Monday. I only need to shave every 2-3 days so.
    So theoretically I'll get a year per blade...??? Screw you Gillette and your business model of exploitation!
    However, I must admit if I could produce something for 2 cent and sell it for 240cent then I would also be doing that...

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Just wanted to give some feedback on this. This thing works. I don’t think its going to make a blade last forever but it definitely extends its life.

It doesn’t sharpen the blade as such. As you shave with a razor the blade gets covered in a thin layer shaving cream and skin, not very visible to naked eye. This thing basically cleans the surface of the blades making it more effective or ‘sharper’. You can actually see how the blade surface is cleaner after you use the Razor Pit.

I usually get say 6 shaves out of a blade. I decided to use the Razor Pit on a blade that I considered dead. I’m on shave 11 so far and the blade is still going strong. This thing will save me money no doubt about it. That’s my experience anyway, others may have faired differently.

I’ve tried DE shaving and came back to cartridges, and this thing will definitely keep the cost down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Kevin11 wrote: »
    Am on shave 45 at moment for a fusion blade..
    Going ok so far as was only getting about 15 normally.

I binned the fusion blade shortly after 20 uses. Definitely prolongs the use enough to make it a viable purchase but hard to see it extending life to 45 uses or more. On your 46th shave, pop in a new blade and i'll wager you feel an immediate difference;)

Still though, it definitely does something

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Yeah as dodzy said. The website claims 150 uses! Realistically I can see myself getting at least twice as many shaves (very comfortable shaves) from a blade, in which case you start to save fairly quickly and the thing pays for itself.

Does anyone know if you can pay 4men.ie with Paypal? It seems they only have a credit card option, and I don't have it on me, but I'd like to order it tonight if possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Judging by the realex logo at the bottom left of their page they only take Laser, VISA or MasterCard. Why not ring them and ask if they can take any other form of payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

so, its been a good while now since the start of the thread and probably many shaves have past.
    how do those who bought this gaget rate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Thargor wrote: »
    My face is now smooth as a babies like it had been shaved with a brand new blade.

And is Thargor still shaving babies?!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

have to say it is pretty amazing, was using the same blade for 5 weeks every second day (WS Titanium Quattro) was good up to end, however word of warning, without notice the guard rail burst open and one of the blades slipped out and i slit open my face...
    needless to say i check it every time i use it now.....

• Advertisement

Im still using the same blade, Im testing it to destruction at this stage and it is starting to wear out but Ive been using the device for nearly 2 months now and it was blunt to start with so Im well happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Still using the same fusion blade myself after 6 weeks (although I only shave every 3/4 days). Started with a fresh blade when I got this yoke and so far it is doing well. I would have used three blades probably by now without it as they really used to irritate me after a few shaves. So I have already started recouping the price of it.
    Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

yeap forgot to say many thanks to the OP would have been on my second pack of blades by now and not my second blade!!

I made a bit of a discovery this morning I think that I want someone else to try. This worked with a Mach 3 blade:

I did the procedure as normal (I only do it every 3 or 4 shaves these days). I was examining the lubricator strip because its falling apart on this old blade before I shaved when I noticed a load of crap gummed up between the 3 blades, pushing forward on the rubber block had pushed it out a bit. I held it under the tap but there wasnt enough force to dislodge it, so I filled the sink up a bit with hot water, held the blade underwater a bit and gave it a good shake, way more than you'd normally use to rinse foam off the blade, give it welly as they say. Anyway when I looked in the sink the water was filthy with crap, an unbelievable amount of long thin solid lines of muck Id dislodged from between the blades and a layer of grit on the bottom aswell, and then when I shaved it was like a brand new blade out of the packet, someone else give it a try and post how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

. Anyway when I looked in the sink the water was filthy with crap, an unbelievable amount of long thin solid lines of muck Id dislodged from between the blades and a layer of grit on the bottom aswell, and then when I shaved it was like a brand new blade out of the packet, someone else give it a try and post how it goes.

Mmmm - think I'm just about ready for lunch !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

banchang wrote: »
    ...the water was filthy with crap, an unbelievable amount of long thin solid lines of muck I'd dislodged from between the blades and a layer of grit on the bottom as well
    Mmmm - think I'm just about ready for lunch !

You can have mine -- heuuurrrrrggghhh!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

kazzer wrote: »
    It doesn’t sharpen the blade as such. As you shave with a razor the blade gets covered in a thin layer shaving cream and skin, not very visible to naked eye. This thing basically cleans the surface of the blades making it more effective or ‘sharper’. You can actually see how the blade surface is cleaner after you use the Razor Pit.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I was led to here from this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709455 .

Not a BA but a money-saving response to one.

kazzer hit the nail on the head here - even the advertising for Razor Pit claims cleaning, rather than sharpening, if you read the details.

I've got fairly strong but slow-growing beard and usually shave every second day. Would always shave before a special event though.

I started using mach 3s when they were first launched and noticed how much easier they were to rinse than the g2s I used before. Have always got about 2 month's of comfortable shaves from a good mach3 blade. Some batches are simply not as sharp as others from the start.

The key is to rinse the blade vigorously after each 2 strokes or so. Just discovered the other day that you can't do that in the currently fashionable shallow "bowl" type sinks without splashing water all over the place! You need a fairly deep steep-sided sink, ideally, and hot, as opposed to warm, water. If you shave in the shower, forget about it.

Another poster here had a tip about leaving the blade in olive oil after use. I think this should work as it would prevent the debris from consolidating between the blades.

Gel clogs up the blades much more than foam, in my experience. I find palmolive foam to be better than gillette but I use either, depending on price.

Advertisement