Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penny Dreadful [Showtime/Sky Atlantic] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

season 2 episode 1 Fresh Hell is available at usu source

maybe due to expectation, find the pilot quite disappointing :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is this still being filmed over here?

Skerries wrote: »
    is this still being filmed over here?

Well, filming for the second season is finished now but yeah, the two seasons were filmed in Dublin and Ardmore.

season 2 episode 2, very delighted with the twists & surprises of this episode as against the disappointed pilot :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Madame Kali has a killed it so far, some genuinely unsettling scenes
    such as the blood bath, throat slit and doll scenes

You can tell the actress is having a ball with it but she might be better off toning down the slight OTTness (such as
    the awkward wink before the throat slit
    ). Little things like that are the difference between a scene being good or being simply excellent.

I think they've phoned in slightly where the Lily/Caliban/Victor story is going but it's still good regardless. I'm actually hoping Victor ends up doing Caliban in somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Madame Kali has a killed it so far, some genuinely unsettling scenes
    such as the blood bath, throat slit and doll scenes

You can tell the actress is having a ball with it but she might be better off toning down the slight OTTness

They gave timothy dalton free reign to chew the scenery like a 6 month old mastiff all through the first season, so i doubt they'll reign her in anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Oh god! Wasn't expecting that :eek:

• Advertisement

Good episode.
    The baby scene made me very uneasy.

I'm not all the way through yet, but Im sure you can gues what part was a *ahem* surprise :D

Smidge wrote: »
    I'm not all the way through yet, but Im sure you can gues what part was a *ahem* surprise :D

Surely that was obvious from the first episode? :P

Edit: Sorry, she wasn't in the first episode. I've confused myself :o

Sorry, I forgot to add spoilers. Would you be so kind to remove/edit that quote? :)

Nim wrote: »
    Surely that was obvious from the first episode? :P

Sorry, I forgot to add spoilers. Would you be so kind to remove/edit that quote? :)

I was talking about the
    working girl
    :eek:

That didn't really surprise me, as "she" had a very masculine face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That didn't really surprise me, as "she" had a very masculine face.

Kinda reminded me of The Crying Game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Nim wrote: »
    Good episode.
    The baby scene made me very uneasy.

Made me very uneasy too. I love the show but I won't keep watching if there is more of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I found Episode 3 almost intolerably boring...have been enjoying it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I found Episode 3 almost intolerably boring...have been enjoying it until now.

I enjoyed it, kind of like a grown up Karate Kid.

• Advertisement

I liked it, presumably designed to calm down the fat, neurotic american wicca types who where probably whinging to the ACLU about the previous episodes portrayal of witches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Bambi wrote: »
    I liked it, presumably designed to calm down the fat, neurotic american wicca types who where probably whinging to the ACLU about the previous episodes portrayal of witches

I for one have found Penny Dreadful to be refreshing in it's return to the horror origins of the various mythological nemesis that the group has faced.
    It's been 'nice' to see mass murdering werewolves, baby killing witches and vampires intent on bleeding people dry, back on our screens. I couldn't be more bored of emo witches, sparkly vampires and misunderstood werewolves that are about as hairy and scary as a rapid outbreak of puberty.

This episode was solid, I assume the Devil is going to call in Dorian's favour that he owes, surely that's the only reason he's still around.

I was fearful Sebene was going to be a casualty at the end so thankfully he survived. Hopefully if they have to off anyone it will be Mr Lyle. :pac:

Was that episode called riders on the storm? Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

All the different threads are starting to come together now. Fantastic show, it just gets better and better.

It was interesting to see "Lily" in her element while Victor started to show a nastier, obsessive, side. I hated Caliban in season 1 due to the hammyness of the performance but I'm really warming to the more dialled back portrayal of a broken man rejected by all sides except for...

....Vanessa. Eva Green is knocking this out of the park once again. Vanessa is carrying every bit of what she went through last season and has ironically become the backbone of the team now, where she's grounded while others around her are struggling.

As said above, things are coming together nicely now. The show deserves to keep going but I'm not sure that ratings have been good.

• Advertisement

Its a great show if you're willing to live in an utter state of gullibility, great set pieces though

"prepare for siege, install an iron door!! we must hold out" "okay that's done, lets all go out to a dance/help the poor/visit madam tussauds"

"Errr there's a scarey f**ker with half a face asking for you at the door"

"I've no idea who he is, show him in man!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I never understood ratings. You have some shows that draw viewers of 3 million and they're cancelled, then others like Penny Dreadful draw in under a million and get renewed. It's not like it's a cheap show to make either. What's the magic forumula?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I was disappointed in this week's episode. Because I think the season has been really, really strong so far (the last 3 or 4 episodes were fantastic, IMO). Last night was more about setting up the pieces though. I must say I have no interest in Victor and his missus, or Dorian Grey and Angelique. And I like John Clare only when he's interacting with Miss Ives. But I love Miss Ives and the witches (who are properly evil). And will be devastated if anything happens to Sir Malcolm!

Speak of suspending your disbelief - the other great thing about installing the iron door were the two unshuttered glass windows left on either side of it. Hmmmmmmmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

To echo some of the above, it is all getting just a tad out of hand this show. Why would Victor bring yer wan out to a ball or even to meet Vanessa when he knows Chandler must eventually find out? They've been attacked before in broad daylight yet they all go out and about, often alone, any time they feel like it.
    Agree to Gray is pointless. They could've had that ball anywhere at all, the only reason for his existence in the show appears to be to have thrown it for that confrontation. Why don't the witches just swipe her now? Not as if anyone there could stop them?
    Also, clawed face dude... just kill him?!?! The rest of them would hardly bat an eyelid after what they've been through, and he shows his hand as a werewolf just a few days later anyway!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    To echo some of the above, it is all getting just a tad out of hand this show. Why would Victor bring yer wan out to a ball or even to meet Vanessa when he knows Chandler must eventually find out? They've been attacked before in broad daylight yet they all go out and about, often alone, any time they feel like it.
    Agree to Gray is pointless. They could've had that ball anywhere at all, the only reason for his existence in the show appears to be to have thrown it for that confrontation. Why don't the witches just swipe her now? Not as if anyone there could stop them?
    Also, clawed face dude... just kill him?!?! The rest of them would hardly bat an eyelid after what they've been through, and he shows his hand as a werewolf just a few days later anyway!

Victor loves Lily, he wants her to learn life despite understanding the complication he might encounter & he spoke of his worried ( reference to the mechanical of his dress-watch ) to Vanessa when both shopped clothes for Lily in one of the episode but Vanessa thought nothing of it ; he can't hide Lily forever

Vanessa is a complicated character, she either has a evil resided in her or she is the evil but till now she try very hard to suppress that evil, it is not easy to suppress a powerful resided evil with her mediocre skill learned from cutwife unless she is the evil which in times of danger or need Vanessa will turn ; the witches do not fear her but her internal evil, in season 1 madam kali was obviously frightened of her evil

Gray definitely has his part, he is either under the master of madam kali or he is under some other master ; he can be a foe or a source of help to Vanessa

clawed face dude hasn't exposed Chandler to the inspector, there is no such urgency to kill

season 2 is more on backstory of characters & their development, might need season 3 or 4 to further explore all the main characters as it moves on

• Advertisement

season 2 episode 7, didn't expect Lily is
    a hardcore killer
    Caliban will have a hard time :pac::pac::pac:

surprise the partnership of
    Lyle & Evelyn are only for survival & usefulness to each other but in reality they really hate each other to the core
    :eek:

next installment from the promo seems interesting with more exposes :cool: fast approaching finale at episode 10 :D

Whats the deal with Caliban anyway? Did I miss something? "Build me a woman!! I'll kill you!! I need a wife!! Build me one now!!11!"

"your woman is up and running"

"Eh? Oh her.. right, cool. I'm off to intern in a horror show, might swing by a consumption pit after. laterz pops lol"

Bambi wrote: »
    Whats the deal with Caliban anyway? Did I miss something? "Build me a woman!! I'll kill you!! I need a wife!! Build me one now!!11!"

"your woman is up and running"

"Eh? Oh her.. right, cool. I'm off to intern in a horror show, might swing by a consumption pit after. laterz pops lol"
    If I was Victor I'd have given Chandler a few quid to fill him full of holes a looong time ago. Sure, your maker ran off, but you're immortal now instead of plain old dead so just deal with it and get lost, OK?

mafaa wrote: »
    I hadn't even realised that had yet to be decided... I believe it's a 3 season thing so at least we should get an ending.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I hadn't even realised that had yet to be decided... I believe it's a 3 season thing so at least we should get an ending.

that depends on how season 3 pans out & its rating, it is now a 9-episode, season 2 is a 10-episode while season 1 is a 8-episode, the episode is pretty short, won't be surprise a season 4 is planned rather than abruptly ended

Very good episode. Lily for the first time interests me! :eek: I couldn't help but laugh at Creature going from alpha to cowering within the blink of an eye. :D

Negatives were Sir Malcolm going alone to defeat a coven of supernatural witches (bonkers stuff for the sake of plot convenience) and Dorian being ineffective as a villain even after murdering someone. I'm really not a fan of the actor.

Another thing that intrigued was the two brothers reveal, which I assume is Dracula and Satan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Will Dracula make an appearance this season? What actor is playing him?

and Dorian being ineffective as a villain even after murdering someone. I'm really not a fan of the actor.

His accent sounds a bit like Frank Spencer to me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

It seemed that Sir Malcolm made the scorpion design with his feet when he was thrown into the ballroom by his manservant, anyone else notice that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Very good episode. Lily for the first time interests me! :eek: I couldn't help but laugh at Creature going from alpha to cowering within the blink of an eye. :D

Negatives were Sir Malcolm going alone to defeat a coven of supernatural witches (bonkers stuff for the sake of plot convenience) and Dorian being ineffective as a villain even after murdering someone. I'm really not a fan of the actor.

Another thing that intrigued was the two brothers reveal, which I assume is Dracula and Satan?

Yeah, Lilly's look of 'bitch, please' when she turned the tables on the creature's attempt at rapey intimidtation was an interesting and unexpected turn of events. How her character went from contempt for the creature to his 'soulmate' in the course of that scene however was unconvincing at best and utterly unmotivated and stupid at worst.

I also agree with youd dissapointment in relation to Malcom's solo run at the witches. The series has suffered from horribly inconsistant plotting and characterization, not to mention some shoddy direction\editorial decisions like the hilariously awful 'lets get on' everybody shags montage from a couple of episodes ago.
    This was a prime example that inconsistancy. Malcom snaps out of his spell and suddenly and without explaination knows that Helen McClory's character has been behind his enchantment and so he rushes off to confront the devil with a pop gun? Really?

The whole lilly going totally tonto is probably the only decent twist/shock the whole series has managed, it was well done

Nice to see dani filthenstein being made her bitch too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Will Dracula make an appearance this season? What actor is playing him?

anyone?

anyone?

I wouldn't say so, the show has a known cast so I'd assume if Dracula was going to turn up this season we'd know.

Really excited to see who they might potentially cast though.

Was expecting the reveal of the Dorian Grey picture to be something that would make the viewer jump but it just looked like a cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Was expecting the reveal of the Dorian Grey picture to be something that would make the viewer jump but it just looked like a cartoon.

Yeah I was hoping it would look tortured rather than just like Gollum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Great season finale, would have also worked as a series finale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Great season finale, would have also worked as a series finale

Thought that myself.

So yer wan won a rap battle with Satan?

Slightly odd climax

• Advertisement

Though there would be more of a battle with the witches but they didn't put up much of a fight after all the lead up to it.

Billie Piper is playing a blinder portraying Lilly though, hopefully Ethan will be back as well.

Advertisement