Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Healthy and filling lunch ideas

Options
  • 29-12-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

As per title, what would you suggest? I only have about 25 minutes for lunch so don't want anything too fancy. Generally I eat a toasted ham and cheese sandwich but after inputting the details into My Fitness Pal, I'm sure there are better things I could be eating!

I'm open to most suggestions.

Thanks.

Also a second question, has anyone any ideas on how to beat the 3pm slump? I have an hour commute from work and am often tempted to stop at one of the many petrol stations I pass but I want to be organised for the new year so that this doesn't happen. I'm not a fan of eating 5 almonds either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I usually bring something that can be eaten cold, like brown pasta with veg, or brown rice salad (which I leave in the canteen fridge). This way I can tuck in straight away, and it's very filling, healthy and tasty. For the slump, a banana works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I usually eat a banana at work, so I don't want to eat another one.

Maybe an apple will be enough.

Is your brown rice dish left over dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Salads are handy. Leaves, peppers, avocado, tomato. ..and then a tin of tuna or a chicken fillet (that's been cooked along with dinner previous day).

Or I have scrambled eggs a lot. NOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I usually eat a banana at work, so I don't want to eat another one.

Maybe an apple will be enough.

Is your brown rice dish left over dinner?

No it's one I make especially for lunches, I make it on Sunday then have it on Monday and Tuesday, then I usually have cold pasta salad the following days.

Recipe here:

Dressing: 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    ½ red chilli, chopped
    1 inch piece of ginger, grated
    1 tbsp. tamari soy sauce
    juice ½ lime
    ½ tsp. sesame oil
    1 tsp. honey

1 portion of cooked brown rice
    2-3 florets of broccoli, chopped small
    ½ red pepper, chopped small
    1 spring onion, chopped small
    1 tbsp. toasted flaked almonds
    Chopped fresh coriander

Mix the dressing ingredients together. Mix remaining
    ingredients and add the dressing to serve.

You can add fish or chicken to it too but I like it as it is!

Thank you very much, must try this over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

make yourself an omelette.....lots of free vegies, brocolli, scallion, tomatos, peppers, whatever you like and then throw in 2 eggs and into the zapper.

I also bought a Lekue steamer container (they are expensive but brilliant) and steamed lots of veggies and a salmon fillet (sprinkled with cajun spices) or white fish cooked under six minutes with little or no fat (tiny bit of butter melted over the veggies) and that's probably my favourite meal.

Baked potato with tuna and sweetcorn or beans is another good one for lunch.

The knack is to vary what you eat. Otherwise you will get bored and fall off the wagon. I like soup now and again but not all the time.

Also love a smoked mackeral salad.

For the 3pm slump.....how about a little pot of hummus (home made)and carrotts or celery. Buy those baby food containers and bring it in them. That's also good for youghurt if you are bringing it just to beat the slump and you just barely get enough.

Thank you :-) Some great ideas.

You'll find the 3pm slump will disappear with a decent lunch.

If it doesn't, it's probably a mental thing

You'll find the 3pm slump will disappear with a decent lunch.

If it doesn't, it's probably a mental thing

Nope. I eat my lunch at 12.30 so starving by about 4 or 5,just in time for my drive home! Twice a week I eat my lunch at 11.20 instead as I am on yard duty for big lunch so . . . Definitely hungry by 4 and 5! Was a bit generous with my 3pm slump but it definitely appears an hour or hour and half later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Those John West tuna salads in a little tin tray with a fork. Tasty, healthy and instant!

Or, remnants of last night's dinner - meat and veg - chopped up and brought to work in a lunchbox. Microwave for a minute, eat.

• Advertisement

Nope. I eat my lunch at 12.30 so starving by about 4 or 5,just in time for my drive home! Twice a week I eat my lunch at 11.20 instead as I am on yard duty for big lunch so . . . Definitely hungry by 4 and 5! Was a bit generous with my 3pm slump but it definitely appears an hour or hour and half later.

I mean when you start eating a decent lunch. One that's more likely to fill you. Protein and fat will do that far better than carbohydrates

Maybe. But I still need SOMETHING from 12.30 - 6, or sometimes 11.20 - 6! I can't survive that long without food :P

Maybe. But I still need SOMETHING from 12.30 - 6, or sometimes 11.20 - 6! I can't survive that long without food :P

Ah yeah naturally. I've just seen people use "Xpm slump" as an excuse to throw in some food cos they fancy it. Or they think they're having a mid-afternoon slump because they think they're supposed to. I usually used see these people in the mirror :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Lads,

We have no microwave or cooking facilities in work.
    Any ideas what would be good for lunch on training days obliviously it would have to be cold? Getting sick of the ham sambos.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Sounds like you need a wee chiller bag with some of those blue ice freezer blocks. Then fill the bag with any assortment of healthy salads, pastas and pre made smoothies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

Hi OP do you prepare your lunch yourself normally or do you usually buy?

Hi OP do you prepare your lunch yourself normally or do you usually buy?

Always prepare, never buy. No option to anyway!

Today I had lettuce/cucumber/peppers/cherry tomatoes/2 eggs. I only ate one of them. Wasn't hungry. Got hungry in the afternoon so devoured my celery sticks and raw carrot and grapes. Also ate a banana earlier in the day. Interesting to see the breakdown of nutrients in food via MFP.

The plan for lunch tomorrow:
    Similar to today, a bit of mayonaise to bind it altogether and put it in a wrap with red onion. Calories ~320cals.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

Lots of greens OP cant argue with that, but your lunch doesnt look particularly energy dense. I mean its mostly green water there and not a lot of calories either, no doubt this is responsible for your 3pm slump, you shouldn't be famished by mid afternoon...

Try getting some more protein into your salad like chicken or tuna. Eggs are great also but try eating the two or three. Maybe add in some cheese or Philadelphia also as the fat will keep you nice and full. You should get more steady energy throughout the afternoon this way.

Out of curiosity how many calories would you consume a day?

Lots of greens OP cant argue with that, but your lunch doesnt look particularly energy dense. I mean its mostly green water there and not a lot of calories either, no doubt this is responsible for your 3pm slump, you shouldn't be famished by mid afternoon...

Try getting some more protein into your salad like chicken or tuna. Eggs are great also but try eating the two or three. Maybe add in some cheese or Philadelphia also as the fat will keep you nice and full. You should get more steady energy throughout the afternoon this way.

Out of curiosity how many calories would you consume a day?

I don't eat salad every day. I used to have brown ham/cheese toasties, leftover dinner, egg on a bagel (Discovered bagels are QUITE Bad!!!) or soup (Either homemade or Cully and Sully). I had fallen into a trap with the ham & cheese toasties as OH also has one of these and twas just as easy to make two.

I did have 2 eggs with me to eat but wasn't hungry today. Don't worry, that doesn't normally happen & I usually demolish my lunch but I had eaten banana and grapes at small break (even resisted staff room goodies!) and wasn't hungry.

Some days I do have philly or cheese (I'm a cheese fiend so trying to avoid it if possible) and kicking myself because had chicken left over from roast yesterday and forgot to throw a bit in! Wasn't thinkign! First day back at work in a while so I think that's to blame for the airhead ;) But thank you.

Calorie wise normally, I have no idea. I'm on 1250 now on MFP.

Did 40 minutes in the gym and don't feel hungry. What is wrong with me today? Time of the month I'd reckon!! Usually means the week before I'm eating all around me - probably just didnt notice amidst the mountain of empty Roses wrappers! :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

You could try a handful (about 20) of nuts or celery sticks with a good quality peanut butter or cream cheese or a small tin of tuna mixed with some cottage cheese or cottage cheese and berries and seeds or some turkey rolled up with lettuce.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Ate celery sticks (raw!) today coming home in the car with a few cherry tomatoes - left over lunch! I don't trust myself with peanut butter - I don't know when to stop! I used to eat slices of apple with peanut butter & think I went overboard! SAme with the cream cheese - I just keep dipping the celery in and probably outdo the goodness so if I avoid it that helps (for now anyway). Cottage cheese I cannot stomach, but thanks :-) I may just have to train myself to eat more protein at lunch and ahve an apple or something in between.

Is a banana a day alright to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Batch cook food and put it into containers , if you have a microwave reheat it , if you don't cook something that you can eat cold.

Slices of cheese , slices of ham , avacado, chopped tomatos and baby spinach. all drizzled in olive oil with some back pepper and chilli flakes. great lunch.

Advertisement