Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calories needed

Options
  • 09-01-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Am trying for once and for all to shift some pounds and want to keep them off. Have jumped on the New Years bandwagon so this is my first week of really trying and I'm keeping track of my food with my Fitness Pal but a bit confused by how many calories I should be taking in.

I've used a few online calculators, as well as a post I found on Boards from a while back that gives numbers for multiplying and calculating and am coming up with vastly different numbers from 1080-1850! Obviously it would be nicer to be able to have the 1850 but I don't want to just take that and run with it if it's too many.

Is there any one online calculator that people would trust most, or a formula? I know it might take a bit of trial and error too but it would be nice to have a number I can know is a good guideline at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What did the boards one give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It was the highest at 1845, and that was without me adding in additional calories for any exercise during the week.

What height and weight are you? M/F?

I would use Boards or this.

Thanks. That link brings in around 1800 calories too so will give that a go.

I'm female, 5'4 and 183 lbs.

These things aren't hard and fast rules. They make certain assumptions so your best bet is to use one as a guide, track your calories honestly and accurately for a few weeks (4 is a good timeframe) and see how it is working. It may need tweaking and as you lose weight, you will need to revisit your calorie requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

sillysocks wrote: »
    Thanks. That link brings in around 1800 calories too so will give that a go.

I'm female, 5'4 and 183 lbs.
    Every time you lose 7lbs or so plug your new weight into the calculator again and your daily target will reduce accordingly.

Thanks, will I'll a number around that and see how I get on. Know it might be trial and error to get it right but wanted to be sure I wasn't totally off and then spend 4 weeks eating way too much!

Doesn't sound too far off, the 1800, anyway.

Best of luck!

Advertisement