Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bodybuilding - diet from scratch with a complication

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm making progress. My shortcoming was due mostly to incorrect training rather than the diet. My dietician has told me there are people here who successfully build muscle so the diet should not be the limiting factor - especially when there is sufficient protein intake via supplements such as Lophlex and Phlexy-10.

Do you regularly send in bloods for testing - I send mine in monthly? Also how many exchanges is he on? Things are a lot better now than when I was a kid. The choice of supplements, milks, foods, etc is mindboggling compared to when I was young.

My diet has slightly relaxed now in adulthood in that I don't really weigh any foods - I can tell from judgement what the weight is and therefore the exchange count. It is however, more important due childhood and teenage years to keep a closer handle on things. Screening for PKU was only started less than 10 years prior to my birth so there was not much of a history of patients in order for refinement of the diet/control.

My diet is quite good anyway as I tend to prefer fruits & vegs instead of processed foods - I'm quite a healthy minded person. It is easy to gain weight with PKU as it is a very carb heavy diet to compensate for lack of protein.

It was more difficult during teen years as it was then that I (and others) noticed the differences in the food I was eating compared to them. However, now with the low protein products it is barely noticeable.

Anything you want to know just ask and I’ll try to answer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 shavins

That's great to hear that you have been getting on well with it, it's very encouraging also for others.
    His exchanges are 5 a day at the minute so he is fairly low I hope this will increase as he gets older,. There is great variety of food for him now which is great I have to say. We send his blood away every month as well and his levels are nearly always fine.
    Thanks very much for the reply and best of luck with the training!

Disappointed that I'm bringing this up again. Possibly should do so in the cooking forum, but I'll keep it alltogether here.

I'm currently sitting at 68kg - 69kg. My main problem is that I'm unable to eat enough to to get near the calories quoted in the ifcalc for my rest calories (~2,150Cal) never mind what I should be taking on training days (~2850Cal).

My daily total at the minute is approximately as follows:
                            Calories   Protein  Fats   Carbs
                             (kCal)      (g)     (g)    (g)
    Current intake           1,963       122     32     320

Training Day             2,868       215     64     360

Rest Day                 2,150       161     49     269

I'm not sure that I can physically eat another 900 calories per training day. Any suggestions for how I get around these deficits?

I know that I was previously recommended to take coconut oil, but I've no ideas as what to do with it. A spoonful would go a fair distance in bridging the gaps.

Any other suggestions for helping improve my intake would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure that my training is not the issue and this lack of calorie intake is part of the problem.

Thanks and apologies for draggin up an old thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,613 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I haven't read through the whole thread. But why are you stuck at 1900.
    That's not much more than what I'm eating now, and I'm cutting and aiming to keep intake low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'm not sure that I can physically eat another 900 calories per training day.

Hate to say it but you need to go dirty and bulk dirty.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Hate to say it but you need to go dirty and bulk dirty.
    2800 is easily achievable without dirty bulking.

Breakfast 600
    Lunch 600
    Dinner 800
    Plus 2-3 snacks of 200-300 cals

Pre/post Workout 200 cals

On rest days. Cut out 200 cals per main meal and the workout cals.
    I've found that meal by meal targets like make it much easier to stay on track. Bulking or cutting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mellor wrote: »
    2800 is easily achievable without dirty bulking.

Breakfast 600
    Lunch 600
    Dinner 800
    Plus 2-3 snacks of 200-300 cals

Pre/post Workout 200 cals

On rest days. Cut out 200 cals per main meal and the workout cals.
    I've found that meal by meal targets like make it much easier to stay on track. Bulking or cutting.

I agree, but they are mention +900 to this total?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I used to be like this but now I find it easy enough to add calories. Little things that worked for me was adding cheese to lunches and dinner. Few hundred calories there. Add bread to whatever meal I'm havin. Another few hundred calories. Make portions of starchy carbs like sweet potatoe and rice a bit bigger. Few hundred calories. And those days I needed to fit 4000 calories in. A big pack of M&Ms for dessert! Maybe not the healthiest choice in the world but the rest of my diet was fairly nutrition dense so I figured it didn't matter and I hit my targets.

TallGlass wrote: »
    [
    I agree, but they are mention +900 to this total?
    No he didn't. He said he was falling 900 short.
    Eating 1900 cals, wants to eat 2800 (+900)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Have a Shake blended up and drink it throughout the day. I used to do this.
    Water, peanut butter, whey protein, cashew nuts,, porridge oats and a banana. It was around 1100 calories and didn't make me feel bloated. Nearly 50g protein. Adjust the water content for thicker or smoother. Oh yea, and it's delicious too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Bear in mind, he has PKU so his limit for protein from food is quite low amd has to be factored into the suggestion for those 900 kcals

Bear in mind, he has PKU so his limit for protein from food is quite low amd has to be factored into the suggestion for those 900 kcals
    Current protein intake isn't that bad imo, imo the 216g target is excessive.
    But fat intake is really low. It'll be much easier to hit 2800 with a normal take intake.
    Assuming that not a dietary issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

100g of macadamia nuts spread throughout the day is 750 cals with v little protein. Add a little more oil or butter to things you cook e.g. veg, bread etc. Use higher fat mince or higher fat cuts of meat for any meat you are able to eat.

Also if you find 2800 too high on any one day you could just eat 2400-2500 cals every day including non training days as it really doesn't matter much in the overall scheme of things.

Hi all thanks for the replies so far. I'll read into them in more detail when I get away from work.
    100g of macadamia nuts spread throughout the day is 750 cals with v little protein.

100g of macadamia nuts has 8g of protein. That is over 1/2 of my allowance for natural protein per day. That would have a significant knock on effect on all my other meals during the day. I can only only eat 15g of protein per day via food, the remainder comes from supplements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hi all thanks for the replies so far. I'll read into them in more detail when I get away from work.

100g of macadamia nuts has 8g of protein. That is over 1/2 of my allowance for natural protein per day. That would have a significant knock on effect on all my other meals during the day. I can only only eat 15g of protein per day via food, the remainder comes from supplements.

Sorry Funkey I was going by the OP from ages ago which had something like 30g and thought it could be a swap for things like the wheaten bread for example protein-wise (6g of protein with only 170 calories). It's a tricky one alright. I'd say coconut oil and adding fats to your shakes, cooking etc. are probably the best way like people have suggested.

• Advertisement

Yeah - I got told off by the doctor so have had to cut back on some foods and replace with supplements.

Just to update on this.

I've been doing the a couple of routines and got decent progress with them. Weight was up to 72.0kg. But it has fluctuated around 71kg for a number of months now.

As I'm getting older (now 40) I'm trying to also consider that fat - esp belly fat will be getting harder to shift.

Using a Tanita Body Composition Analyser I obtained the following data:

ATHLETIC
    Fat: 13.5%
    Fat Mass: 9.5%
    FFM: 60.6kg
    Muscle Mass: 57.6kg
    TBW: 40.7kg
    TBW: 58.1%
    Bone Mass: 3kg
    BMR: 1736kcal
    Visceral Fat Rating: 5
    BMI: 24.8

STANDARD
    Fat: 20.8%
    Fat Mass: 14.6kg
    FFM: 55.5kg
    Muscle Mass: 52.7kg
    TBW: 39.5kg
    TBW: 56.3%
    Bone Mass: 2.8kg
    BMR: 1312kcal
    Visceral Fat Rating: 7
    BMI: 24.8

Not being arrogant, but I'm more inclined to believe that the 'Athletic' setting on the machine aligns more closely with me. 20.8% fat is on the verge of being 'overfat' and I don't think I'm anywhere near that!

In terms of lifts, I've moved from aiming for big numbers to concentrating on reps and slow negatives. It seems to suit me better. At my age, there is nothing to gain and quite a bit to lose from heavy lifting.

My diet is still very clean. However, from re-reading through my postings I'm still suffering from the same problem of not getting in the full quota of calories on a daily basis. Still having problems with the consumption of fats. I've been on MyFitnessPal to work out what I'm eating and it is a wonder I'm putting on anything at all.

It's frustrating as with some good guidance then I'm sure I could have made a lot of of my dedication and stubbornness to weights over the years. It would have been nice to have a proper 6-pack for just once in my life, as it was a goal, albeit a rather short term vanity driven one! Even just to do a couple of clean benches at 90kg would be nice and lift the rainbow on the DL. I can squat 100kg now, but that is not very impressive.

I see the younger ones at the gym now and they are so clued in and pushing big numbers - so much more than I was doing at their age. Some of the female members now are so impressive. I'm seeing some of the who are smaller than me squatting over 130kg.

I might be back on with a question soon as I attempt to get back on track after a wobbly period.

Advertisement