Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mooey115

I got a call from Mazars earlier today for an interview just waiting for the confirmation email with the time. Anybody else get any calls for the Big 4 or Mazars?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Minji

Hi Mooey,
    I got mine for Deloitte around 1pm today, but haven't heard anything from PwC. I don't know if they give more calls after the weekend.

Minji wrote: »
    Hi Mooey,
    I got mine for Deloitte around 1pm today, but haven't heard anything from PwC. I don't know if they give more calls after the weekend.

Hey did you get a call and an email?
    I'm just waiting for my email

Deloitte rang me before a confirmation email but KPMG only sent out an email for presentation and assessment day.

Ok great! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Hi Mooey,

Don't say that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 trooperdx31171

Hey congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews!
    I got offered an interview with KPMG and PwC so far delighted about that but I have quick question though about college grades. Right now my degree is at a 2.2 only bordering on a 2.1 because I did poorly in exams in second year. I never hid that fact on any of the application forms or anything. I'm pretty positive I can get my degree up to a 2.1 now in final year but im just wondering is there a chance that any offer I receive could be revoked if I dont get the 2.1 after graduation?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭neilaccountant

Applied for the 7 firms that applications had to be in by 16th, haven't heard anything back yet from any of them, I did only apply on the 16th.

Originally I was going to give it until Monday evening and then if I didn't hear anything back well I was just going to forget about them at that stage, people I know of that applied on the 16th as well already received calls and emails and have dates for interviews arranged as early as the morning on the 17th.

Or should I be a bit more optimistic and wait and hope until Tuesday evening or Wednesday ? or should I just forget about them at this stage ?

Plus a lot applicants on boards have seemed to have got dates for interviews already

I hate this waiting around game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭masoodsarwar

I got offered an interview with KPMG and PwC so far delighted about that but I have quick question though about college grades. Right now my degree is at a 2.2 only bordering on a 2.1 because I did poorly in exams in second year. I never hid that fact on any of the application forms or anything. I'm pretty positive I can get my degree up to a 2.1 now in final year but im just wondering is there a chance that any offer I receive could be revoked if I dont get the 2.1 after graduation?

If its a condition in the contract, then u might. otherwise you are just fine. At the moment focus on your interview. You are worrying about something you did not have yet :)

Hi everyone,
    Who are going to the KPMG assessment day on Nov 4th? AdamD, you are, aren't you?
    How everyone is preparing for this?
    I got KPMG n Delloite, but I haven't heard anything from PwC.

You don't need to prepare for that because its just a presentation from the firm. what they do, how they do and an informal chat with trainees, managers and partners. Make good use of it and ask question that might help you in your interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

AFAIK a 2:1 would be based on your final year results. Your second year results shouldn't impact on that. They want to know if you got a 2:1 in third year to see if you are likely to get one in 4th year. At least that's the way I thought it worked.

A guy from KPMG explained that to us at a talk they gave sometime in third year. Some firms want results the whole way from LC to your final year but if you did poor in first and second year and then excelled in third then it shows that you applied yourself and realised your academic potential.

And yes, most contracts are based on you achieving a 2:1 degree.

Do they contact people in groups, like audit first, tax second, assurance third type thing? That's just an example not wondering if that's the order, just wondering if that's how they do it?

for assessment day? No. you all will be together. People (trainees and partners basically) from all areas (audit, tax, advisory) give you an general insight and afterwards there is an informal chat during drinks. try to ask as many questions from trainees and partners from your area.
    Like what they do in first year, why did they chose firm? whatever you think u need to know before going in the interview.

Applied for the 7 firms that applications had to be in by 16th, haven't heard anything back yet from any of them, I did only apply on the 16th.

I've only heard from one. So don't fret!

What area is your first pref? That makes a difference.

for assessment day? No. you all will be together.

No, I mean for inviting people to interview. :)

I've only heard from one. So don't fret!

What area is your first pref? That makes a difference.

Okay thanks for the reassurance, auditing and put tax as 2nd and even forensic accounting in a few for 3rd pref

2.1, 2.1, 1.1 and expecting minimum 2.1 in 4th year, but have poor LC results, fingers crossed college results are enough though !

• Registered Users Posts: 17 trooperdx31171

Red Crow wrote: »
    AFAIK a 2:1 would be based on your final year results. Your second year results shouldn't impact on that. They want to know if you got a 2:1 in third year to see if you are likely to get one in 4th year. At least that's the way I thought it worked.

A guy from KPMG explained that to us at a talk they gave sometime in third year. Some firms want results the whole way from LC to your final year but if you did poor in first and second year and then excelled in third then it shows that you applied yourself and realised your academic potential.

And yes, most contracts are based on you achieving a 2:1 degree.

Cheers for the reply. Im 90% sure I can achieve a 2.1 im just afraid that if something goes wrong then all the work I put into going to these job interviews will be for nothing and i'll be back at square one again.
    I'll just make sure anyway to focus more on my past work experience achievements and so on i'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kate.1990

Hey everyone just wondering have Deloitte sent out all their offers? I applied for consultancy

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Salmon2013

Have got called to interview by all 4 now :) However my EY interview is clashing with the Deloitte information lunch. Are these information sessions essential to attend?? Whilst Deloitte is the one I want, the EY role that I will be interviewing for sounds really interesting :/

Salmon2013 wrote: »
    Have got called to interview by all 4 now :) However my EY interview is clashing with the Deloitte information lunch. Are these information sessions essential to attend?? Whilst Deloitte is the one I want, the EY role that I will be interviewing for sounds really interesting :/

Hi I know this doesn't apply to your question but I'm just wondering what dates roughly did you submit your applications for the big 4 and when or how long was it after you submitted them did they contact you for an interview ?

or if you don't want to say on this could you PM me about it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kate.1990

Salmon2013 wrote: »

Wow all 4 well done! I applied for consultancy and got an interview in PWC for that but got called by KPMG for audit. I don't have any accounting experience except for leaving cert so I don't know how that will play out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Went for an interview today with Grant Thornton, didn't go great. Average, but nothing that will get me an offer. It wasn't really what I was expecting in terms of the interview type and questions so ended up waffling a lot more than I would have liked. Has anyone else got an interview with them coming up? I might be able to give a few pointers in terms of what to expect.

Hi AtticusFinch86,
    Did you say that you had an interview on Saturday?

Yeah, went for one Yesterday with GT. It was average at best, can't see me getting an offer but it's interview experience under my belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mgk2004

Yeah, went for one Yesterday with GT. It was average at best, can't see me getting an offer but it's interview experience under my belt.

why did you think it went poorly, you mess up a few questions?

you might surprise yourself and get an offer, any other interviews coming up?

mgk2004 wrote: »
    why did you think it went poorly, you mess up a few questions?

you might surprise yourself and get an offer, any other interviews coming up?

The interview was a little different to what I had expected. It was more of a feeling out exercise than anything competency based, so that caught me off guard.

I thought I answered quite a lot of the questions reasonably well but my mind went blank for a couple of them and so ended up waffling and repeating myself. I've had a couple of interviews in time and any one that's gone well, I can usually feel the positive vibe. Didn't feel it yesterday. I'm not overly disappointed, I'm glad of the interview experience, and I've learned from it. No other offers in pipeline yet, but hoping that changes in the next week. Have you been out for any interviews yet yourself?

The interview was a little different to what I had expected. It was more of a feeling out exercise than anything competency based, so that caught me off guard.

I thought I answered quite a lot of the questions reasonably well but my mind went blank for a couple of them and so ended up waffling and repeating myself. I've had a couple of interviews in time and any one that's gone well, I can usually feel the positive vibe. Didn't feel it yesterday. I'm not overly disappointed, I'm glad of the interview experience, and I've learned from it. No other offers in pipeline yet, but hoping that changes in the next week. Have you been out for any interviews yet yourself?

ah right well doesn't sound like it went too bad, have only interview with Deloitte for Audit on Wednesday, be surprise if it goes well tbh, never really done a proper interview..

ah right well doesn't sound like it went too bad, have only interview with Deloitte for Audit on Wednesday, be surprise if it goes well tbh, never really done a proper interview..

I'm sure it'll be fine. There's a decent website linked in one of the other threads that might give you some insight into the type of questions you might get asked at the the Big 3 and BDO. It's called MGrad.ie or something. Deloitte are not there but I'd think if you had an answer prepared for all the other firm's questions you'd have covered most of the questions you're likely to get asked at Deloitte.

Admittedly I used it myself for the GT interview and it wasn't a great help, but it's designed to help you in competency based interviews ala Deloitte, so it should be a much bigger help to you. I'll be using it again if I get a call from any of the Big 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 beirne6

Im final year engineering and I have an interview with KPMG tuesday! Anyone know what types of questions they might ask? Im assuming there wont be too much detailed accounting etc as thats not my degree.

And also does anyone know anything about the 'Business Exercise'?

Galway, btw

Hi Beirne6,
    Would you please share your experience after interview. For the Business Exercise, I heard we have to write 2 essays about current market.

• Advertisement

For the Business Exercise, I heard we have to write 2 essays about current market.

I can't imagine we've to write two essays, the exercise is only half an hour long.

I am not even native speaker, freaking out :(
    When is your assessment day April O Neill? is it 4 Nov?

I applied to the 7 firms on the 16th that had to be applied for by that date

Still haven't heard anything from any of them :( and its Monday morning now

Would it be realistic to suggest that I wont be contacted for an interview from any of them ??

I applied for PwC and Deloitte on the last date as well. Got call from Deloitte but nothing from PwC. I suppose they receive tons of applications on 16th and so, don't lose your hope Neil

Got call from Deloitte but nothing from PwC. I suppose they receive tons of applications on 16th and so, don't lose your hope Neil

Could you oblige me of letting me know what dates you applied to deloitte and pwc ? either here or if you could PM me that'd be great ?

I applied to the 7 firms on the 16th that had to be applied for by that date

Still haven't heard anything from any of them :( and its Monday morning now

Would it be realistic to suggest that I wont be contacted for an interview from any of them ??

Wouldn't say it's unrealistic. They get thousands of offers so they will take time selecting which ones to offer an interview to. I would think that there are some applications that are above and beyond the average, meaning they probably get offers right away. Then there are the majority, which are closer to the margins, and so it takes some time to wade through them and decide who to send the offer to.

• Advertisement

anyone know how important it is to attend employer presentation? cant believe I missed mine for Deloitte this morning..

Could you oblige me of letting me know what dates you applied to deloitte and pwc ? either here or if you could PM me that'd be great ?

Hi guy,
    Both on 16th. But I guess if we don't hear back anything today, 99% we fail

anyone know how important it is to attend employer presentation? cant believe I missed mine for Deloitte this morning..

Hi guy,
    Perhaps you can contact the HR to see if it's possible to join another presentation. Mine is scheduled on 29th, followed by interview in the afternoon.

Hi guy,
    Both on 16th. But I guess if we don't hear back anything today, 99% we fail

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I was giving it until this evening anyways

At least youve heard from deloittes its something, Ive heard nothing

I heard grant thornton are already interviewing candidates ? Not sure if thats correct or not but I just heard it

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I was giving it until this evening anyways

At least youve heard from deloittes its something, Ive heard nothing

I heard grant thornton are already interviewing candidates ? Not sure if thats correct or not but I just heard it

Yeah, they started interviewing on Saturday. They'll be doing them for a few more days.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't say it's unrealistic. They get thousands of offers so they will take time selecting which ones to offer an interview to. I would think that there are some applications that are above and beyond the average, meaning they probably get offers right away. Then there are the majority, which are closer to the margins, and so it takes some time to wade through them and decide who to send the offer to.

Yeah I understand where you're coming from there but still if you're going to recieve an interview you got to be realistic as in time wise.
    As you said if the above average applications already have dates for interviews, it gives a much much lessor chance if the average ones like myself
    I dont really fancy my chances now

I'll be applying for bakertilly and BDO anyways so hopefully i'll have some luck there

Yeah, they started interviewing on Saturday. They'll be doing them for a few more days.

So I wont be receiving an interview from grant thornton either :P

So I wont be receiving an interview from grant thornton either :P

Bar a case of mass food poisoning, probably not. Fingers crossed though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Did anyone apply to Grant Thornton in Newbridge?
    I'm disappointed I didn't get an interview.. I've had first class honours results so far in college and 9 months experience in a big4 firm. Didn't want to be cocky but thought I might at least have got an interview!

Lads, I mean this in the best possible way: CALM DOWN!!! :) Especially you, Neil. ;) Fretting about it is not going to help in any way. Just wait and see, and be patient. :)

jubella wrote: »
    I've had first class honours results so far in college and 9 months experience in a big4 firm. Didn't want to be cocky but thought I might at least have got an interview!

Me to :( I thought a 1.1 and work experience in a chartered accountancy firm would've enhanced my own chances

Maybe achieving a 1.1 and having relevant work experience isn't such a big deal or isn't so impressive than I first thought it would be :/

Same here I thought I would've had at least 1 interview maybe 2.. id be delighted with mazars or rsm Farrell.. anything really

usually though from what I've heard if you do very well in work experience in any of the big 4 they would usually automatically offer a place on their graduate programme ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anyone applied to Baker Tilly Ryan Glennon?
    Theres a question the form asking you why you want to be an accountant. Not sure how to answer it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Me to :( I thought a 1.1 and work experience in a chartered accountancy firm would've enhanced my own chances

Maybe achieving a 1.1 and having relevant work experience isn't such a big deal or isn't so impressive than I first thought it would be :/

Same here I thought I would've had at least 1 interview maybe 2.. id be delighted with mazars or rsm Farrell.. anything really

usually though from what I've heard if you do very well in work experience in any of the big 4 they would usually automatically offer a place on their graduate programme ?

I have a graduate offer with the firm I did my placement with, but it was a tough 9 months, and I don't fancy moving to Dublin for a job I don't really like, so I was hoping to get Grant Thornton in Newbridge... It'd still be tough work but getting home earlier in the evenings would make it more bearable!

I know I'm lucky to have the other offer there, still disappointed though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

I have spoken with HR within a Big 4 firm. They discard any applications with less than 450 points in the leaving. They will make exceptions for strong third level results but only for certain courses within certain universities.
    The likes of Mazars and other second tier firms will have a second round as many of the students they call for interview will be offered jobs within the big 4.
    Keep the faith.

jubella wrote: »
    I was hoping to get Grant Thornton in Newbridge... It'd still be tough work but getting home earlier in the evenings would make it more bearable!

I know I'm lucky to have the other offer there, still disappointed though!

From what ive heard grant thornton are horrible to work for.. most wouldn't renew their contracts after completing their professional exams and look for work elsewhere.. That's just I what heard.. Everyone has their own opinion though

Lucky indeed ! definitely take that offer if nothing else comes your way

• Advertisement
Advertisement