Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like funky house?

• 29-11-2008 12:39pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was listening to a mix yesterday from the Members Mixes thread, a funky house mix by Jonny68. It has actually been a long time since I have listened to anything like this and actually it just made me remember how much I really enjoy this genre of music.

Funky house was the first music genre i properly fell in love with and even though it has been a long time since I have properly listened to any, I still have a soft spot for really nice deep smooth soulful sounds, with natural instruments and percussions.

I'd kinda think of it as a genre that most people would like - I mean, what's not to like? Nice tunes, vocals and melody's. But then I know some people who have very wide musical tastes but can't stand it...

So do you like it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I absolutely hate it.

Brash, commercial, unsophisticated, cheesy, lowest common denominator music designed for plastic nightclubs and the great unwashed.

Lacking depth, intellectually devoid, and aestethically repulsive.Musically infantile, sonically cliched, and disgustingly superficial.

Well you asked for opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

hairdressers and fag hag music

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Doesn't bother me as such but not into it.

brianc27 wrote: »
    hairdressers and fag hag music

haha, glad i'm not alone thinking that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i actually like a bit of funky house.i agree its hardly groundbreaking or doing anything new but its enjoyable.
    there is a point where i draw the line with it.the cheesy covers of old songs are completely wrong imo.
    i was in miami last year and the majority of the club nights i went to were funky house.they had a great atmosphere to them,real friendly and upbeat.
    i dont really play it out anymore unless im warming up and then i play the deeper stuff.its definitely the most accesible form of dance music imo and because ive played a good few place where people dont necessarily want to hear house music its a great way to get people dancing without trying to win them over with the latest tech house number.
    id have to say hott22 would be personal favoruites of mine :p
    (runs and hides)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

yep, im a big fan for the funky soulful stuff :D now in saying that i still love my trance techno and all but have a soft spot for the funky end of things.
    i love the likes of Deep Swing - In The Music, DJ Tonka - Feel, nice deep beats. yep i like it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i still deny that funky house is a genre

its house, because house is funky as a rule, the offshoots of house tend to lose the funk alrite, but funky house is like saying electronic techno imo

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

jtsuited wrote: »
    I absolutely hate it.

Brash, commercial, unsophisticated, cheesy, lowest common denominator music designed for plastic nightclubs and the great unwashed.

Lacking depth, intellectually devoid, and aestethically repulsive.Musically infantile, sonically cliched, and disgustingly superficial.

jaysus, tell us how you really feel!
    i like the instrumental side of it a lot. most of the vocals turn me off but there's been some great funky house over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I absolutely hate it.

you could not be further from the truth in your "truly bizzare" description of what funky house is, it is absolutely nothing of anything you've mentioned whatsoever!!!!!

jonny68 wrote: »
    you could not be further from the truth in your "truly bizzare" description of what funky house is, it is absolutely nothing of anything you've mentioned whatsoever!!!!!
    even though like it,he does have some valid points,it is commercial,cheesy etc.

• Advertisement

Funky House can of course be commercial siometimes but so can most genres of dance, the stuff im into as such would not for the most part be commercial, im also well into Soulful House and Disco House although there doesn't appear to be loads of Disco House new releases around right now, as someone who is very musically diverse in recent years funky house has been a favourite of mine, it's IMO dance music for grown up's where as genres like Trance would appeal to a younger audience.

seannash wrote: »
    even though like it,he does have some valid points,it is commercial,cheesy etc.

as per my other post there are many other genres of dance which can also crossover and be commercial, if your a true connoisseur of funky house you'll know the score and avoid the commercial element.

Funky House can of course be commercial siometimes but so can most genres of dance, the stuff im into as such would not for the most part be commercial, im also well into Soulful House and Disco House although there doesn't appear to be loads of Disco House new releases around right now, as someone who is very musically diverse in recent years funky house has been a favourite of mine, it's IMO dance music for grown up's where as genres like Trance would appeal to a younger audience.
    not to nitpick but your latest mix tracklist looked choc full of galtee(not a bad thing for the most part)so i cant really merit your comment that you dont like commercial funky house(again theres nothing wrong with it)
    as for grown up music,maybe the soulful stuff but the funky stuff is kind of childish and playful,tongue in cheek almost(again nothing wrong with it)but i dont think its more grown up.
    disco house is very very cheesy and is alot of what jtsuited talked about,more so than funky house.that being said i do have a huge amount of it in my collection,so im obviously a fan of it but i do admit to what it is.

as per my other post there are many other genres of dance which can also crossover and be commercial, if your a true connoisseur of funky house you'll know the score and avoid the commercial element.
    please dont use words like connoisseur,you just comes off as a music snob and music snob and funky house shouldnt ever be in the same sentence imo

please dont use words like connoisseur,you just comes off as a music snob and music snob and funky house shouldnt ever be in the same sentence imo

Ill use the word connoisseur if i see fit,i am a connoisseur of dance music and im most certainly not a music snob and never have been, i personally couldn't care less what you or others think of funky house, im into it and it's still massive worldwide and the scene is still very healthy and will continue to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i agree that the likes of hed kandi "funky house" stuff is for grown ups

grown up hairdressers

Helix wrote: »

grown up hairdressers

I would be a fan of early Hed Kandi material but ive no interest in them the last few years they have gone too commercial for my liking, check stuff on the excellent "non commercial" MN2S Label, Soulfouric,etc amongst others.

Ill use the word connoisseur if i see fit,i am a connoisseur of dance music and im most certainly not a music snob and never have been, i personally couldn't care less what you or others think of funky house, im into it and it's still massive worldwide and the scene is still very healthy and will continue to be.
    man relax,you seem very quick to temper.
    i said i like it but you seem so serious about it.its meant to be fun,not serious.your so uptight about it.people know its cheesy,they dont care.its meant to be fun.
    music connoiseur!get over yourself man.just say you like dance music and leave it at that,dont put yourself on a pedestel(which is what your doing by claiming to be a connoisseur)because people will only knock you off it:D

Helix wrote: »

grown up hairdressers
    ha ha ha ha ha

man relax,you seem very quick to temper.
    i said i like it but you seem so serious about it.its meant to be fun,not serious.your so uptight about it.people know its cheesy,they dont care.its meant to be fun.
    music connoiseur!get over yourself man.just say you like dance music and leave it at that,dont put yourself on a pedestel(which is what your doing by claiming to be a connoisseur)because people will only knock you off it:D

1- I'm not uptight at all man very relaxed actually.

2- Because you and 1 or 2 others claim funky house is cheesy means jack sh*t to me, i know the stuff im into isn't, same as when i say minimal is music for Ketamine users im sure you will disagree!!

3-I am a connoisseur of dance music and im not putting myself on any pedestal im telling it as it is, for 19 years now ive been on this scene so i reckon i know quite a lot about the whole scene given the longetivity ive been on this scene.

i'll leave it at that because im still trying to figure out if your again trying to entice me into some argument like you've done before and im not biting.

• Advertisement

so johnny again you just call my comments 'truly bizarre' but don't actually engage in any sort of rational argument.

conoisseur? lol

so far some people have said they like it despite it being cheesy and commercial (which is fine, each to their own).
    but you want to make it seem like the most substantial artform since the renaissance.

johnny as you have so often suggested, i think you should ignore my posts.

and everyone else who thinks it's music for hairdressers. which judging by this thread is a good few around here ie. not just me.

2- Because you and 1 or 2 others claim funky house is cheesy means jack sh*t to me, i know the stuff im into isn't, same as when i say minimal is music for Ketamine users im sure you will disagree!!

3-I am a connoisseur of dance music and im not putting myself on any pedestal im telling it as it is, for 19 years now ive been on this scene so i reckon i know quite a lot about the whole scene given the longetivity ive been on this scene.

i'll leave it at that because im still trying to figure out if your again trying to entice me into some argument like you've done before and im not biting.

johnny get over yourself, and stop being so patronising.

you've been on this scene for 19 years so you know what you're talking about?

So you have a great knowledge of music?
    You are intimately knowledgeable about technology and music theory?
    You have produced musical works of great substance, legitimacy, and skill.

Or are you just some older guy on a forum telling everybody his opinion is far more valid than theirs, because you were born earlier?

Connoiseurs tend to be skilled in language. At least somewhat.

Where is the ignore function on this forum?

Where is the ignore function on this forum?

you sure will have to ignore a lot of people on this forum to stop people bursting your bubble.

but honestly, you should stop pretending to be an authority.

eh claiming to be a conoisseur is rating your opinion higher than anyone elses so you are infact putting yourself on a pedestel,whether you realise it or not.
    if you were such a fan of dancemusic you would recognise the good traits in minimal,but no youve completely disregarded it as a good form of dance music,some connoiseur you are:D
    i claim its cheesy,but i still like it.we dont have to try and turn it into a more sophisticated form than what it is.everyone else seems okay to call it cheesy.we are talking about funky house,not soulful house,not deep house.
    as for a enticing you into an argument,the easier way would have been just to slate it from the begining,that always seems to get your back up.so no im not trying to rile you up,just expressing my point of view on the topic,but then again im not a connoiseur:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Connoiseurs tend to be skilled in language. At least somewhat.

I take it you meant "Connoisseurs"?

Skilled in language?

Would a wine connoisseur not be skilled in taste etc? why would he be skilled in language?

Odd.

ntlbell wrote: »

Skilled in language?

Would a wine connoisseur not be skilled in taste etc? why would he be skilled in language?

Odd.
    again not to nit pick but a wine connoiseur would have to have a decent vocabulary to get his point across.
    saying this wine is nice wouldnt suffice :D
    but i guess thats getting off the topic:D

again not to nit pick but a wine connoiseur would have to have a decent vocabulary to get his point across.
    saying this wine is nice wouldnt suffice :D
    but i guess thats getting off the topic:D

But if the people he's giving his opinion to can't spell, it won't make much of a difference ;)

• Advertisement

But if the people he's giving his opinion to can't spell, it won't make much of a difference ;)
    oy mickster i kan spel:D

Skilled in language?

Odd.

oops. leaving out an s is a simple small error.
    saying his 'longetevity' statement or whatever it was was what i was referring to.

what i meant was, a connoisseur who declares himself as one on an internet forum, would surely be able to communicate his fine taste in a coherent and understandable manner.
    especially when he is apparently a connoiseur in a communicative art.

but i see your point.

Lost for words :eek:

A lot of friction these days.... I blame the recession.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Lost for words :eek:

A lot of friction these days.... I blame the recession.
    lol. i love this 'recession'.

lol. i love this 'recession'.

Yeah its great, all go shopping up North, their economy needs a boost it seems. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

not a fan of funky house myself, seems to cheesy-ish, makes me think of people sitting around a swimming pool in miami wearing speedos and six packs all over the shop, sipping cocktails and generally being camp as fook.

• Advertisement

read back through the other pages just now and i agree with a lot of the comments that were made about funky house being hair dresser music.

the stuff you listen to johnny might be more underground non commercial stuff (if that exists) but funky house as a whole sucks ass.

and it deffo aint music for grown ups. i agree about trance aswell, music for skobie kunts or the dutch.

imo the likes of progressive, tech house would be music for grown ups, if that makes any sense.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    not a fan of funky house myself, seems to cheesy-ish, makes me think of people sitting around a swimming pool in miami wearing speedos and six packs all over the shop, sipping cocktails and generally being camp as fook.
    dont ever go to wmc coz that exactly what its like ha ha.
    still could think of worse places to be:D

dont ever go to wmc coz that exactly what its like ha ha.
    still could think of worse places to be:D

but when u have the likes of zabiela rockin a poolside party i wouldnt mind running around with the ned hangin out!! haha

stick out like a sore thumb amongst the beautiful people :)

but when u have the likes of zabiela rockin a poolside party i wouldnt mind running around with the ned hangin out!! haha

stick out like a sore thumb amongst the beautiful people :)
    yep its dead easy to spot irish people sown there,handy to avoid them too.
    they pretty much cover all types of house down there but the scantily clad woman always seem to go to the funky house events.

read back through the other pages just now and i agree with a lot of the comments that were made about funky house being hair dresser music.

the stuff you listen to johnny might be more underground non commercial stuff (if that exists) but funky house as a whole sucks ass.

and it deffo aint music for grown ups. i agree about trance aswell, music for skobie kunts or the dutch.

imo the likes of progressive, tech house would be music for grown ups, if that makes any sense.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Advertisement

yep,the likes of tech house is less obvious than funky house,doesnt rely on catchy vocals(i know not all funky house tracks rely on catchy vocals) more just a good groove,which most people new to dance music or younger folk,might not get excited about.i get what your saying about it being more grown up

can each person put a YT track up in what they would consider funky house! just to see what people perspective is :D

This is classic funky house, early stuff. Typical catchy vocals...

now i actually like this track and have played it out when it first appeared a while back.bit more discoy than straight up house but youll get the idea

LOL Thats my all time fav!!! :D

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

still actually play this one on occasion

bah i cant see youtube in work.

id say these lads are my favourite funky house producers

this is kinda embarrassing ha ha

bah i cant see youtube in work.
    your probably better off :D