Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like funky house?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jeez, what's with all the anger in here?

Listen lads the simple fact of the matter (yeah I said FACT) is that some Funky House is sh1t and some Minimal House is sh1t, it's only labels anyway. But I'd never be so narrow minded as to dimiss a whole genre of music just because of who listens to it or how "intelligent" it was. You can intellectualise music til the cows come how, and if that's your bag fair dues, but I'd rather just enjoy music for what it is and how it makes me feel regardless of whatever tags or labels that come with it, and if I don't like it I just won't bother with it but I certainly wouldn't slate someone for liking it.

So there! And anybody that doesn't like that gets a smack of an oldskool stick or an intelligent hammer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Jeez, what's with all the anger in here?

Listen lads the simple fact of the matter (yeah I said FACT) is that some Funky House is sh1t and some Minimal House is sh1t, it's only labels anyway. But I'd never be so narrow minded as to dimiss a whole genre of music just because of who listens to it or how "intelligent" it was. You can intellectualise music til the cows come how, and if that's your bag fair dues, but I'd rather just enjoy music for the what is and how it makes me feel regardless of whatever tags or labels that come with it, and if I don't like it I just won't bother with it but I certainly wouldn't slate someone for liking it.

So there! And anybody that doesn't like that gets a smack of an oldskool stick or an intelligent hammer!!
    what stick am i getting slapped with:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jtsuited wrote: »
    could have something to do with the fact that we're both producers (who have releases out), and both dj (in public).

So you're both like Mark McCabe?:cool:

seannash wrote: »
    what stick am i getting slapped with:D:D
    Take your pick!

So where we're at now.

You're opinion means fu*k all unless the following are met.

You have a masters in musicology :rolleyes:
    Are a producer:rolleyes:
    DJ in public:rolleyes:
    can past "dong" tests given to you by JT:rolleyes:

I've been around boards a long long time and I don't think I've ever read so much utter b*llox in all those years and believe you me I've read some b*llox on here.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    So where we're at now.

I've been around boards a long long time and I don't think I've ever read so much utter b*llox in all those years and believe you me I've read some b*llox on here.
    but what does all this mean coming from you,why should we take you post as something to consider :D:D

go thread go

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

ladies, ladies.... back on topic.

Zascar wrote: »
    what was that again

Just on the subject of being off topic.....Jeff what was the name of a track you made a few years back...you had it as a download on your Myspace page. Brilliant track, kinda like Francois K, quite blippy and dare I say Funky (ha!) ;)

I had a copy of it and can't find it now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

seannash wrote: »
    what was that again
    I think it was "What is everyone so obsessed with what's "Cool" around here" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Just on the subject of being off topic.....Jeff what was the name of a track you made a few years back...you had it as a download on your Myspace page. Brilliant track, kinda like Francois K, quite blippy and dare I say Funky (ha!) ;)

I had a copy of it and can't find it now.

i have no idea. it could have been jack, addict, there is no conspiracy, or a few others. if you remember what it is I'll pm you a link.

ntlbell wrote: »
    So where we're at now.

that is not an argument.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Ok, having had a quick cup of tea :pac: I have now calmed down and have logged back in... I want a 'music intelligence test' conducted, all jokes aside - are you up for it jsuited? How about you post a youtube track that you consider intelligent with an analysis as to why and the same then for a track on the other end of the spectrum, again with reasons why. I genuinely would like to hear an evaluation, and without too many technical words that will zip over my head!

And Jonny please, lay off IDM - it's only a name!!! Many years of spectacular music, don't let a term get in the way of that...

i have no idea. it could have been jack, addict, there is no conspiracy, or a few others. if you remember what it is I'll pm you a link.
    That one rings a bell alright but I'm not a 100% sure. It was a few years back definitely. Probably around the time you signed up to Boards

jaysus wasn't then.
    i signed up to boards march 2005. i had a rock album on the go back then, hadn't become a techno degenerate.

there is no conspiracy is almost definitely the track your looking for. it has that francois k vibe about it. i think. zascar has it on a mix of his.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Ok, having had a quick cup of tea :pac: I have now calmed down and have logged back in... I want a 'music intelligence test' conducted, all jokes aside - are you up for it jsuited? How about you post a youtube track that you consider intelligent with an analysis as to why and the same then for a track on the other end of the spectrum, again with reasons why. I genuinely would like to hear an evaluation, and without too many technical words that will zip over my head!

And Jonny please, lay off IDM - it's only a name!!! Many years of spectacular music, don't let a term get in the way of that...

um, this would be interesting. it'd be a lot easier actually with a piano though. as opposed to finding a youtube track but i'll think of something to show what i'm on about.

I'd like to sign up to this experiment too. :) I think we need a new thread though.

Any chance of getting a copy of that track?

um, this would be interesting. it'd be a lot easier actually with a piano though. as opposed to finding a youtube track but i'll think of something to show what i'm on about.

I'm thinking more on the lines of a track say that you currently love, minimal, techno, whatever... then compare that to something from the 'funky house' genre maybe, or any other electronic track that you would consider lacking in creativity or intellect. Give your analysis from a production point of view for both and explain why - in somewhat layman terms if possible, i.e. the drum programming is excellent/cr*p because... the synths are excellent/cr*p, etc.

jaysus wasn't then.
    i signed up to boards march 2005. i had a rock album on the go back then, hadn't become a techno degenerate.

there is no conspiracy is almost definitely the track your looking for. it has that francois k vibe about it. i think. zascar has it on a mix of his.
    did you rename that track,i think you told me that before

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I'm thinking more on the lines of a track say that you currently love, minimal, techno, whatever... then compare that to something from the 'funky house' genre maybe, or any other electronic track that you would consider lacking in creativity or intellect. Give your analysis from a production point of view for both and explain why - in somewhat layman terms if possible, i.e. the drum programming is excellent/cr*p because... the synths are excellent/cr*p, etc.

on it.

• Advertisement

Here's a track that I'd consider Funky House, although I know a lot of people wouldn't, and as I've said before, the type of music that is labelled Funky House nowadays probably skews the impressions or at least causes the confusion.

Now how anybody could say this track last intelligence is beyond me.

on it.

Good stuff :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Here's a track that I'd consider Funky House, although I know a lot of people wouldn't, and as I've said before, the type of music that is labelled Funky House nowadays probably skews the impressions or at least causes the confusion.

yep i would class that track as funky house! maybe a bit on the deeper side of house but yep its has the funky thing going on! :)

that is not an argument.

Correct.

It was a statement.

Nothing gets by this one.

This fit the definition of funky house?

Thick Dick - Insatiable
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4kPRCSe1zY

This fit the definition of funky house?

Thick Dick - Insatiable
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4kPRCSe1zY

maybe? its a bit hed kandi allright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

thats a house track

theres no need for the word funky in the prefix

its house, simple as that

Helix wrote: »
    thats a house track

theres no need for the word funky in the prefix

its house, simple as that
    But that's why I said that's what I consider to be "Funky House"
    The track that Conor74 posted is what's considered "Funky House" nowadays I supposed. Personally I don't really like that type of stuff as the vast majority is extremely generic, soulless, unimaginative and boring. But hey, that's just my opinion.

But that's why I said that's what I consider to be "Funky House"
    The track that Conor74 posted is what's considered "Funky House" nowadays I supposed. Personally I don't really like that type of stuff as the vast majority is extremely generic, soulless, unimaginative and boring. But hey, that's just my opinion.
    what about all the ones i posted :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Just thought I'd wreck everybodys head and re-introduce this!!!!!!
    :p:p

:D 13 odd pages of abuse I'm sure...

Good work.

Guys take a listen to Fabric 40 by Mark Farina, I'd class this as funky/underground/chicago house and its a brilliant cd..

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=94712

Oh and I don't care what anyone says I just think this is a deadly tune lol

Good work.

Guys take a listen to Fabric 40 by Mark Farina, I'd class this as funky/underground/chicago house and its a brilliant cd..

Yeah that would work well with Lady Gaga too :D Dancing around hand bags in Club M :pac:

I know I know it is seriosuly cheesey but I heard it on the radio the other day and it still brought a smile to my face

***Bump*** :pac:

I'm intersted in what people consider "Funky House" is these days? it was interesting reading people views on what thay considered "Funky House" is.

2 years on... has it changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Damn! I just read through 13 odd pages and on the last page I seen the *bump* posts and realized it was old :(

BTW I love Funky/Commercial House. Also Love Deep House. Small bit of Tech House. Guess i'm only intelligent on one side of my brain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I thought this was either a thread started by Johnny68, or the new name for the random thread. It's neither.

But this new tune of Gaiser's just shows how M_nus has actually stooped lower than what is humanely possible. One of the worst records filed under 'techno' I have ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

***Bump*** :pac:

I'm intersted in what people consider "Funky House" is these days? it was interesting reading people views on what thay considered "Funky House" is.

2 years on... has it changed?
    Unlike some people who change musical genres in line with "whatever is hip this season" ive always championed and liked funky house although id probably prefer more Soulful type House, some funky house i agree is cheesy nonsense but every genre has bad tunes.

here's a new Funky/Soulful type tune on MN2S...

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

http://thehawtmovement.podomatic.com/entry/index/2011-10-13T22_45_51-07_00

this is the type of house i'm into myself, love most of the stuff that HAWT dj's play in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Good work.

http://www.liveatfocus.com/updates/2010/10/mark-farina-10-6-09/

Try this from Farina, live at focus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The unsung hero of House Music is the amazing DJ Spen:cool:

love it

Not always a fan of the stuff you post Jonnny, but I love that, especially the bongos! Although, he slightly over does it on the samples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

wouldn't be a big fan of funky house, altho the odd bit can be alright i suppose. one of my mates loves it, but he's really just into anything disco bar oriented :rolleyes:

Advertisement