Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking ban law in car with a child, and smoking in home with a child in the room

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Or just not deliberately choose to blow cancer right in the face of children because of sheer laziness........

If anything, the smoker will benefit from the little bit of exercise walking outside will give them.

In fairness I doubt they are blowing smoke directly into their children's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I wish the smoking in cars law/ban was in place when i was a nipper - not only was i suceptible to travel sickness there was at least 2 adults smoking in car and if I wanted to open up a window cause I felt car sick and was told pretty quickly to shut window because they were cold and it was causing a draught! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I wish the smoking in cars law/ban was in place when i was a nipper - not only was i suceptible to travel sickness there was at least 2 adults smoking in car and if I wanted to open up a window cause I felt car sick and was told pretty quickly to shut window because they were cold and it was causing a draught! :(

Perhaps a strongly worded letter, as opposed to a thread on Boards, to your parents would be the way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm a libertarian but I don't understand the "liberal" perspective on allowing people to smoke in front of others.

I can't slap you in the face.
    I don't see why other forms of assault, such as blowing poisonous chemicals at you, should be deemed acceptable.

You should be able to consume whatever you like. I'm not sure why you should be able to force others to consume it at the same time.
    Arguably, smoke would be diffuse enough outdoors that it ought to be permitted, but there's no escaping it in confined spaces.

cars are far worse than smoking, Try going into an enclosed space with one running. You don't die from breathing in second hand smoke in a few minutes. Lets ban children in cars and cars outside schools sure just ban all cars.

MadDog76 wrote:
    Perhaps a strongly worded letter, as opposed to a thread on Boards, to your parents would be the way to go?

Eh what u on about, I thought that's what boards were for, discussion on subjects?

• Advertisement

Eh what u on about, I thought that's what boards were for, discussion on subjects?

*Eh, no it's not!!

*It actually is ...............

MadDog76 wrote: »

and what would that achieve ? - history is in the past, it happened, Ive got over it and I have decreased lung function probably brought on by breathing in secondhand smoke! :rolleyes:

and what would that achieve ? - history is in the past, it happened, Ive got over it and I have decreased lung function probably brought on by breathing in secondhand smoke! :rolleyes:

Exactly ...............

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

I was responding to a poster's "I know parents who smoke, bad people" anecdote with a "I know parents who don't smoke, bad people" anecdote. That was my thinking.

Ahh, I see.

Forgive me saying - it didn't come across that way, but that's the limitation of the written word.

cars are far worse than smoking, Try going into an enclosed space with one running. You don't die from breathing in second hand smoke in a few minutes. Lets ban children in cars and cars outside schools sure just ban all cars.

You're not making a lot of sense there, are you? You can cut your femoral artery with a knife and die in seconds, but that's not an argument for banning knives. Without combustion-engine vehicles it is certain that far more people would have died (and will die) than will ever have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. I would not consider that to be a valid reason to ban cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

SVJKarate wrote: »
    You're not making a lot of sense there, are you? You can cut your femoral artery with a knife and die in seconds, but that's not an argument for banning knives. Without combustion-engine vehicles it is certain that far more people would have died (and will die) than will ever have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. I would not consider that to be a valid reason to ban cars.

How will you enforce this ? Garda are having issues atm stopping people murdering. And what will be the punishment ? Children put into care ?

How will you enforce this ? Garda are having issues atm stopping people murdering. And what will be the punishment ? Children put into care ?

think its €100euro fine

sure i still people regularly freely driving with a mobile phone pressed to their ear ... so thats being enforced well! :rolleyes:

Enforce what?

Did I miss something in your post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I'm a teacher and when I taught junior infants I could often get the smell of cigarettes off the children's clothes, hair and even off their homework. It's so unfair on them.

They were probably smoking behind the jacks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Enforce what?

The ban on Smoking in cars.
    It is what the thread is about.

Ahh, I see.

Forgive me saying - it didn't come across that way, but that's the limitation of the written word.

Oh no problem. And fwiw I do agree that smoking in a car with kids is so obviously stupid that I have no issue with banning it. And smoking in a room with a kid is pretty dumb and selfish too...as I type this I am outside smoking and I will have to change my jumper and probably brush my teeth before my wife allows me to kiss baby goodnight. I just object to the charcterisation of smokers as bad parents, or stupid, or unfit...for my part I ran another marathon recently and am looking to break a sub 40 min 10k in the next month or 2...

I'm a teacher and when I taught junior infants I could often get the smell of cigarettes off the children's clothes, hair and even off their homework.....

shocking , kids smoking at that age ;)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The ban on Smoking in cars.
    It is what the thread is about.

Darkpagandeath was responding to my post, which mentioned nothing about smoking in cars. I think he may have mis-posted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

shocking , kids smoking at that age ;)

That's not the half of it. there is no punishment in schools these days, so they can do what they like.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    That's not the half of it. there is no punishment in schools these days, so they can do what they like.

times surely have moved on since when I used to get 10 of lashings of the cane on the knuckles for just getting my spelling wrong in school aged 8 !

• Advertisement

I just object to the charcterisation of smokers as bad parents, or stupid, or unfit...

Fair enough, but this thread is specifically about one aspect of smoking i.e. in a car with kids. There can't be any debate that this is bad parenting, but that does not mean that the parents are bad. I've exceeded the speed limit a few times in my life, which is bad driving, but I would not accept that I'm a bad driver. Both my parents smoked, and did so whenever and wherever they wished, regardless of the protests from their kids. We were often travel-sick, and I'm sure their smoking in the car contributed to it. I don't think that made them bad parents of itself.

Well done on your 10k time; you'd be an exception among smokers in also being a runner. I'm sure that both your baby and your wife would be even more proud if you could use that focus to kick the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I]There can't be any debate that this is bad parenting[/I], but that does not mean that the parents are bad.t.

Nope, it could equally mean they are just really really stupid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So that's every car driver nicked?

How about people with fires in their houses?

Yes.
    Laws have already been enacted on that front and they're slowly growing more strict.

Lead fuel. Diesel will probably follow in the next decade.

We're already phasing these things out, so cheers for pointing that out for me.

It'll be much the same with smoking.
    It shouldn't ever be truly banned in principle and I can't imagine such a law would take large-scale effect for any extended period of time.
    People will be more and more constrained how they go about it though.
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    Easy there Helen and Maude.

By that I presume you mean they're neither poisonous, nor chemicals?

Life-affirming dark matter perhaps?

I saw this thread couple of days ago, didn't bother clicking in because assumed it would be dead after a couple hours.

What are ye arguing about?
    Terrible terrible people smoking in cars, not allowed, terrible terrible smoking at home.

Sweet jaysus , this place is getting worse!

bubblypop wrote: »
    I saw this thread couple of days ago, didn't bother clicking in because assumed it would be dead after a couple hours.

Terrible terrible people smoking in cars, not allowed, terrible terrible smoking at home.

maybe you should have stuck with your first instinct and not bothered clicking in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

bubblypop wrote: »

That's terrible Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Well Andy. I was born at the tail end of the 1960s.

I'd say the Doctor who delivered me had a fag in his mouth at the time.

As did the nurses present & in all probability my mother. (She didn't smoke normally, just the odd one on special occasions).

My Dad had a pipe in his mouth outside also.

Later on in the 1980s, I took up smoking myself & happily kept it up for 25 years.

I packed it up over 3 years ago through vaping.

However. I will never & I mean NEVER take issue with smoking or anything to do with it.

Why? Because I find that the people that do these days are worst kind of cowardly cranks that exist & I refuse to endorse that.

G'Night all!

Why is it 'cowardly' to take issue with people smoking around children :confused:

Gbear wrote: »
    Yes.
    Laws have already been enacted on that front and they're slowly growing more strict.

Lead fuel. Diesel will probably follow in the next decade.

We're already phasing these things out, so cheers for pointing that out for me.

It'll be much the same with smoking.

Um.

The point sailed over your head!

The point was that those who drive cars or light fires in their houses are not guilty of assault because someone else breathes the fumes. I am aware that we took the lead out of petrol though...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,099 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sorry in advance if this has been covered on Boards already.

If you smoke in a car that has a child in it, you will be fined €100 - that came into force 1st Jan 2016. to protect children from secondary smoke.

So anything in place for protecting children in the home that are sitting down to watch TV with the family in a small living room, with the door and windows shut? - i dont think there is.

I wonder how the enforcing of the smoking ban in cars are going? - I havent heard much on it, or of anyone getting caught yet.

Weren't you trying to get drug addicts locked up in a previous thread...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement