Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest thermostat working in Ireland ?

Options
  • 09-11-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

I've seen alot of the advertisements on boards.ie recently been for nest. Wondered if this is because Ireland is now a supported country ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SargentDuck

Afraid not. They are testing it in the UK, but as of yet nothing. There is a company which does something similar called TADO, haven't tried it just looking into it now. Excellent looking system though!!
    I've seen alot of the advertisements on boards.ie recently been for nest. Wondered if this is because Ireland is now a supported country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Heatmiser have a new me orange launching in jan. Looks good and if you register on their site you get 15% discount.

I think the NEST looks good but it seems to be oriented towards an air con unit so you only get 50% of its functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

Looks like you can get it now folks: https://store.nest.com/uk/product/thermostat/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

SALUS do something similar.
    It connects to your wireless modem so there is no GSM charge and it look's funky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

JohnnieK wrote: »
    SALUS do something similar.
    It connects to your wireless modem so there is no GSM charge and it look's funky.

I fitted a good couple of this
    There very good
    No charge for the app ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Would you install these with a heat pump or are they necessary? I'd almost be tempted to have one for the sake of having one :)

Has anyone fitted the nest smoke alarms?

Would you install these with a heat pump or are they necessary? I'd almost be tempted to have one for the sake of having one :)

richieburke01; have you fitted the smoke alarms?

Great ideal regardless of heat source
    Time and temperture controls
    And no haven't fitted smoke alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I fitted a good couple of this
    There very good
    No charge for the app ever

What kinda money for the above Richie?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What kinda money for the above Richie?

A 2zone kit about €250ish but you get time and temperture control on two zones
    Heating *2 or
    Heating / hot water
    There talk of proportional control coming out shortly as well
    Pm me
    I'll give you details of Irish supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Hi Richie,

Can the salus support 3 zones + hot water? Do you put a receiver in the place of the existing thermostats and the touch screen controllers in the place of the timers?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Hi Richie,

Can the salus support 3 zones + hot water? Do you put a receiver in the place of the existing thermostats and the touch screen controllers in the place of the timers?

Thanks.

Only two zones supported and yes touchscreen is in place of timer

Only two zones supported and yes touchscreen is in place of timer

Thanks, Salus is out then. Sorry to hijack the thread but would you have any opinion about Tado and multizone? Or any other that would work similarly?

the heatmiser neo would do the job.

The heatmiser neo looks like a potentially good one. My setup is like this: In the kitchen under the boiler I have two different timers/on/off switches, one for heating and one for hot water. In the living room and on the two other floors I have 3 thermostats in total. If I have it right I 'd need a "Heatmiser neoKit 2" to replace the two timers plus 3 more neoStat to replace each thermostat? If that's right it comes to 600euro.. hmm..

if you could avail of the SEAI Grant it would help you. Trying asking them to see if there
    is a way of getting it to qualify

I was also looking at the Owl Intuition, looks like with everything I need it would come 200euro less than the heatmiser. Any opinions on it? Unfortunately I can't avail of the SEAI grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

The Nest Learning Thermostat is now available on the Google Play Store in Ireland.

R

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nest_thermostat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Do they have an installer option or DIY? I don't see any mention of this in their store online.

Mmm, just found this on the site. Free installation?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah saw it in harvey norman today, they have live units in store, free install until 26th sept.. might go back in over the week, its lovely looking in real life!

• Advertisement

big_moe wrote: »
    yeah saw it in harvey norman today, they have live units in store, free install until 26th sept.. might go back in over the week, its lovely looking in real life!

But at 220 euro and the inability to do multi zones it'll not save you any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

I have a two zoned house (ground and first floor). Standard Thermostats on both floors. Heating controlled by programmable timer which I also use to heat the water. (2 zone + water timer)

If I was to purchase one nest unit now will I effectively be losing the zoning in the house?

My understanding is, that the control of the heating would be taken out of the hands of my current timer - it would just control water heating. Is it possible for the nest to control heating down stairs and my current timer to continue controlling heating up stairs? Or will the nest control heating for the entire house as one zone?

Can I return in time and add a second nest to this setup??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

peustace wrote: »
    I have a two zoned house (ground and first floor). Standard Thermostats on both floors. Heating controlled by programmable timer which I also use to heat the water. (2 zone + water timer)

If I was to purchase one nest unit now will I effectively be losing the zoning in the house?

My understanding is, that the control of the heating would be taken out of the hands of my current timer - it would just control water heating. Is it possible for the nest to control heating down stairs and my current timer to continue controlling heating up stairs? Or will the nest control heating for the entire house as one zone?

If you can get a hard wired version of nest then with some minor electrical alterations it can be done.

The only version I've used was wireless and needs a permanent live aswel as a switch live for the boiler. As i was upgrading the system all this was done anyway.

Everything is possible

peustace wrote: »

A heatmiser neo is more suited to you.

This kit http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/heatmiser-neokit-2-sapphire-black/

And an extra one of these
    http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/heatmiser-neostat-programmable-thermostat-sapphire-black/

Will give you 2 zones and hot water.

To do the same with eat you would need to buy 3 seperate units

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ted1 wrote: »
    But at 220 euro and the inability to do multi zones it'll not save you any money.

Are you sure?

Does the Nest Learning Thermostat work with zoned systems?

https://support.nest.com/uk/article/Does-Nest-work-with-zoned-systems

Graham wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Does the Nest Learning Thermostat work with zoned systems?

https://support.nest.com/uk/article/Does-Nest-work-with-zoned-systems
    The link you posted says you need to buy a second system.

https://support.nest.com/uk/article/Do-I-need-to-replace-all-of-my-thermostats-to-get-the-most-out-of-Nest

"
    If you have more than one thermostat, your system will work best if you replace them all with Nest Learning Thermostats. However, the Nest Thermostat is designed to work well even if there are other, non-Nest thermostats in the house."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Agreed but that's not the same as 'an inability to do multi zones'.

Graham wrote: »
    Agreed but that's not the same as 'an inability to do multi zones'.

I'd class it as an inability in that you must buy a complete second ot third unit.

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere in Galway to purchase one?

Advertisement