Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

robindch wrote: »

That's kind of disappointing to me. I'm quite fond of Patrick Moore, but that kind of stuff makes it hard to look up to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he's well known for his 'old fashioned' opinions.
    he's not too fond of uppity women, if i remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

‘A German general said to me at the end of the war, “You won two wars. You won’t win the third. And that’s the economic war.” I hope he’s wrong
    How could Germans take control of Europe's finances? Oh wait.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0501/1224315408779.html
    THE GOVERNMENT is expected to agree today to back legislation giving humanists the same status as organised religions and civil registrars in conducting marriage ceremonies. Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton is due to ask her ministerial colleagues to support the Civil Registration (Amendment) Bill at this morning’s Cabinet meeting. The legislation was introduced in the Seanad as a Private Members’ Bill by Trinity College Senator Ivana Bacik and is due to pass final stages in the Upper House tomorrow.

[...]

There had been “no real progress” until the change of government last year, when Ms Bacik agreed to take up their cause. “As the law stands presently a couple cannot have a legally binding, nonreligious marriage ceremony on a Saturday, as the State registrars work only Monday to Friday,” he added. The proportion of couples choosing a non-religious, civil wedding ceremony in Ireland has increased from 6 per cent in 1996 to more than 23 per cent in 2006, according to the Central Statistics Office. Humanism is defined as “an ethical philosophy of life, based on a concern for humanity, which combines reason with compassion”. The HAI has nine accredited celebrants who conducted 153 marriage ceremonies last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Its very simple - the government should just have a system where any couple, over 18, and acting of their own free will, can get registered on a civil marriage register (and then have the same rights/responsibilities any married couple currently has). Then people can have whatever private religious/non-religious/Klingon etc ceremony they want. If the government only cares about the civil register and has no say about the private ceremony, then we wont need to constantly have to get humanist weddings or gay marriages or whatever added to the law books as separate, possibly lesser, entities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,165 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Its very simple - the government should just have a system where any couple, over 18, and acting of their own free will, can get registered on a civil marriage register (and then have the same rights/responsibilities any married couple currently has). Then people can have whatever private religious/non-religious/Klingon etc ceremony they want.
    the system does allow this (assuming the couple are not same sex).
    what it doesn't allow is for you to have the two together in the same ceremony, unless you're religious.

Jernal wrote: »

Wonder how much it'd be to get that printed as a poster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Latest "persecuted" christian loses case:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2012/05/latest-persecuted-christian-case-dismissed-by-employment-tribunal

Reading the report, I can't help but think of a recent, but now sadly permanently departed, poster:
    NSS wrote:
    However, when Sue James, current chief executive of Derby's hospitals was called to give evidence, she revealed that Dr Drew produced a "toxic environment" at the hospital by constantly raising complaints against his co-workers. Mrs James said: "For two and a half years we had a relationship that wasn't working." [...] "It was about the verbosity and length of his emails. He deconstructed every sentence and sent it to so many people." Mrs James said she was soon being sent numerous emails from Dr Drew complaining about the report's findings. She said: "I was the chief executive running the hospital and David was taking up one day of my personal time a week. We needed to move forward."

the system does allow this (assuming the couple are not same sex).
    what it doesn't allow is for you to have the two together in the same ceremony, unless you're religious.

That's my point, the system shouldn't care about the ceremonies, it shouldn't even be aware of them, they have nothing to do with it. The system shouldn't care who you thank after filling a civil form, be it the christain god after registering a marriage, the muslim god after after registering a birth or Michael Schumacher after getting a driving licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I got a CITTA' DEL VATICANO 50 cent coin in my change today.

It is a 2011 one with Benedict on it.

It is interesting to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,469 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tempted to stamp 'FTP' onto it and put it back in circulation? :pac:

Scrap the cap!

That's my point, the system shouldn't care about the ceremonies, it shouldn't even be aware of them, they have nothing to do with it. The system shouldn't care who you thank after filling a civil form, be it the christain god after registering a marriage, the muslim god after after registering a birth or Michael Schumacher after getting a driving licence.
    I see your point. You think those getting married in a church should have to go down to the registry office afterwards to make it official in the eyes of the State.
    But you are forgetting that there is always some kind of ceremony, even in a registry office. Its necessary because marriage is more than filling in a form. Its all about standing up in front of your tribe and making a public commitment.
    Seeing as religions are so good at pomp and ceremony, the State has always trusted that a form filled out at a religious ceremony would have a suitable amount of "gravitas" which I think is fair enough.
    What we are seeing now is that privilege being extended to various other kinds of gatherings.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    I see your point. You think those getting married in a church should have to go down to the registry office afterwards to make it official in the eyes of the State.
    But you are forgetting that there is always some kind of ceremony, even in a registry office. Its necessary because marriage is more than filling in a form. Its all about standing up in front of your tribe and making a public commitment.
    Seeing as religions are so good at pomp and ceremony, the State has always trusted that a form filled out at a religious ceremony would have a suitable amount of "gravitas" which I think is fair enough.
    What we are seeing now is that privilege being extended to various other kinds of gatherings.

There is always a ceremony because people have been brought up to think that marriage is a strictly religious thing, and so even when they reject religion they still desire the ceremony. This shouldn't matter to the State. The State should have no opinion on religious ceremonies (once nothing illegal happens at them) and it should not give priviledge to certain religions or ideologies. The form signing can still happen at whatever ceremony people choose to have without the State specifically giving priveledge to any type of ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Its very simple - the government should just have a system where any couple, over 18, and acting of their own free will, can get registered on a civil marriage register (and then have the same rights/responsibilities any married couple currently has). Then people can have whatever private religious/non-religious/Klingon etc ceremony they want. If the government only cares about the civil register and has no say about the private ceremony, then we wont need to constantly have to get humanist weddings or gay marriages or whatever added to the law books as separate, possibly lesser, entities.

Why couple? Surely a group of humans should be just as able to become married?

The State should have no opinion on religious ceremonies (once nothing illegal happens at them) and it should not give priviledge to certain religions or ideologies. The form signing can still happen at whatever ceremony people choose to have without the State specifically giving priveledge to any type of ceremony.
    but that's what this new bill will deal with, unless i'm reading you wrong?
    they are (well, will be) licencing people to act as proxies for HSE registry staff without prejudice for their religious beliefs, and the people who are then getting married choose to do it in a format which they choose, which has both the religious aspect (if desired) and the legal aspect.

ShooterSF wrote: »

Why stop there - Caligula married his horse didn't he?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Quick social experiment;

Ray D'Arcy said "fu*ked" in relation to the RCC, blood was called for.
    This morning, Ryan Tubbs said "sh|t" in relation to "Beating the _ out of" a Piñata. Let's see who complains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ninja900 wrote: »
    A horse can't consent.

I have thought about this problem, and I don't think there's a particularly good argument for limiting marriage to two people. (This is not to condone polygamy in the frequently seen version where children are married to elders.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ucVDpmFz-E&feature=colike

2 hours long, very interesting look at a town full of yankie kooks.

Yeah sure, I was just saying couple because that's what's most common, but if three or four or a football team want to get married of their own free will, that's fine by me.

but that's what this new bill will deal with, unless i'm reading you wrong?
    they are (well, will be) licencing people to act as proxies for HSE registry staff without prejudice for their religious beliefs, and the people who are then getting married choose to do it in a format which they choose, which has both the religious aspect (if desired) and the legal aspect.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong it too (I read it that it was specifically humanist weddings that where being added this time, not that there was a change of the whole law making it general), but what happens if a large amount of people suddenly want Klingon weddings? Will there need be an amendment to the law to allow for that ceremony? And then any further ceremony that becomes even somewhat popular?
    If I read it wrong, and the law is now general and humanist ceremonies were just mention as an example (or the main motivation to change the law) then I have no problem with it once its changed.

The Bill proposes to extend the right to conduct civil marriages to nonreligious groups such as the HAI. A group of this nature must be a “philosophical and nonconfessional body”, have been performing marriage ceremonies for at least five years, and at least 20 couples must have participated in the ceremony.
    Not just Humanists then, but not just any random club either. I think its a good progression. An evolution in thinking, if you like.
    As for polygamy, well if marriage is a commitment, then surely there is a dilution of the commitment as the number of partners increases? Eventually you end up with a completely open arrangement. Like Quagmire for example, who is slightly committed to all the women in the world .

As for polygamy, well if marriage is a commitment, then surely there is a dilution of the commitment as the number of partners increases? Eventually you end up with a completely open arrangement. Like Quagmire for example, who is slightly committed to all the women in the world .

Well it's a commitment to a relationship imo not a number of people. I'm not ever gonna go looking for a polygamous marriage but I do feel polygamy gets a hard time because of how it's predominantly practised.
    Anyway my preference would be to remove any state provided advantages to married over non-married rather than restrict who can marry each other.

We don't even get to see the full beauty of the world around us.

aRjn8.png

Can anyone spot the error?:)

Anyway my preference would be to remove any state provided advantages to married over non-married rather than restrict who can marry each other.
    Again, this is problematic because the state advantages are basically tied up with who inherits your stuff when you die. In other words, trying to define who is a relative and who is not.

1mm?
    Again, this is problematic because the state advantages are basically tied up with who inherits your stuff when you die. In other words, trying to define who is a relative and who is not.

That can all be worked around though. If one party dies it could be left to the others and when the last dies if they have no kids in the marriage split the possessions to each ones family or require a will be wrote out outlining who gets what before hand etc. It's not good enough to refuse people equality because it's hard.

• Advertisement

They have got the wavelengths mixed up when talking about the snakes and the bugs. Also I don't like the way they saturate an image with blue to simulate "bugs and birds" vision. A trichromatic pollinating insect would see the reds in addition to the UV colours. Why would the robin in the illustration have a red breast if the other robins couldn't see it? It would be as pointless as my ultra-violet shirt.
    That can all be worked around though. If one party dies it could be left to the others and when the last dies if they have no kids....
    I suppose so, as long as its all clearly defined in advance. Jernals puzzles are easier to figure out:)

They have got the wavelengths mixed up when talking about the snakes and the bugs. Also I don't like the way they saturate an image with blue to simulate "bugs and birds" vision. A trichromatic pollinating insect would see the reds in addition to the UV colours. Why would the robin in the illustration have a red breast if the other robins couldn't see it? It would be as pointless as my ultra-violet shirt.

I suppose so, as long as its all clearly defined in advance. Jernals puzzles are easier to figure out:)

I assumed the redbreast was for cloaking purposes, they are unbelievably hard to pick out among fallen leaves :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

2012-02-15-CARL-SAGAN-make-the-most-of-this-life.gif
    2012-05-01-tyson.jpg

The human eye can detect images at great distance, e.g. the Andromeda Galaxy. Is 2.6 million light years away far enough for ya?

Scrap the cap!

I assumed the redbreast was for cloaking purposes, they are unbelievably hard to pick out among fallen leaves :pac:
    The juveniles stay out of territorial disputes by being all-brown

Great graphic though, it's mind-blowing that all heavier elements, including those without which life could not exist, were created in the nuclear fusion death throes of long-dead stars.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The Atheism Tapes: Steven Weinberg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atheism_Tapes

Link above lists the other guests (which I haven't seen yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ancient Apocalypse
    Sodom and Gomorrah
    Were Sodom and Gomorrah real cities, destroyed by a landslide caused by an earthquake? (R) on BBC4 NOW.
    The Bible describes how Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed in a storm of fire and brimstone. Could the inspiration for this story come from a natural apocalypse around the Dead Sea in the Middle East? Science tests out the extraordinary geology of the region - could an earthquake trigger a landslide capable of sweeping away whole cities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

578008_10150751263385658_270212045657_9976722_647699524_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

ninja900 wrote: »

An argument often used against gay marriage too. The old slippery slope, if we let people marry whatever adult(s) they want they'll start marrying chairs and horses and moons and killing babies and... yeah, not really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A 150 gigapixel image that represents LESS than 1% of our GALAXY, NOT universe.

7124516455_e96136074b_b.jpg

Click for full size

Wow

204264.png

And it was made just for us.... :rolleyes:

And it was made just for us.... :rolleyes:

And it was already posted a week ago...:P

That's not possible the universe was created just last Thursday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's full of stars!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hey man! A week is like, a really long time ago!! Besides, my post was waaaayy better. I bolded and capitalized "galaxy" for extra emphasis and even added a screen shot of two pretty stars for everyone to see, and then I finished with an ironic quip.

In fact, you should probably just go ahead and delete your post... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Hey man! A week is like, a really long time ago!!

Maybe to you. Get back to me in 14 Billion years :p

Jake: Math prodigy proud of his autism

I like the fact that he enjoys helping others, and wants to tackle the 'fear of maths', common to most people. And fair play to the parents for helping their son realise his potential.

^ Was that Bill Cosby interviewing the autistic boy? I thought he used to be black :)

tumblr_m3giqnZaZP1qzc2fmo1_400.jpg

^ Was that Bill Cosby interviewing the autistic boy? I thought he used to be black :)

tumblr_m3giqnZaZP1qzc2fmo1_400.jpg

The interviewer is ancient isn't he? After reading the top comment on Youtube, I found him rather distracting, . . . . not to sound insensitive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement