Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know this is AH but...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

peanuthead wrote: »

I gave the guy a quotation and next thing he emails me back to tell me that he is happy with this amount and his son is actually coming from Holland. Fair enough you say. However, the next line reads "I have instructed my secretary and payment is on the way..."

I somehow have a feeling that a cheque for a significant amount more than what I have asked for is on the way :rolleyes:
    Why??:confused:
    Really?

In case you're serious so when I cash it I refund him the difference and then the cheque bounces on me after 3 days or so, something like that. Either way I know it means I lose.

OK maybe I'm just being silly here.

But what exactly gave you the "feeling" that a cheque for a higher amount was on its way?

Seriously, it's hard to understand what you're asking unless you actually explain that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

But what exactly gave you the "feeling" that a cheque for a higher amount was on its way?

Seriously, it's hard to understand what you're asking unless you actually explain that!

It's how these scams work, a cheque for a higher amount is sent and before it can have an oppertunity to bounce he says, sorry I sent that for too much, why not just wire over the money to balance us up.

OP wires money, cheque bounces, OP out a few hundred quid. Stupid thing to fall for, but alot of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

lol, i'm so ashamed that I didn't cop it sooner to be honest, as I read back over the mails it is so obvious.

As Nevore said, why the fcuk would he actually be sending his kid here!

Total scam I have realised

It's how these scams work, a cheque for a higher amount is sent and before it can have an oppertunity to bounce he says, sorry I sent that for too much, why not just wire over the money to balance us up.

OP wires money, cheque bounces, OP out a few hundred quid. Stupid thing to fall for, but alot of people do.

Because as I stated in my OP, I think I might be the target of a scam, and as minidazzler pointed out above, this is how that very scam works.

A very common one.

For the record if and when the cheque arrives I will let you know the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Cashing it is worth a try just DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GIVE HIM MONEY OR BANK DETAILS

If he really sends his kid and the cheque bounces demand a ransom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Tute on Peanuthead, tute on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

If its like you think , tell him you never got the cheque and ask him to send a second who knowns you may be able to string him along for a few weeks /months

or

Tell him that you invested the difference in a sure fire winner , you known a Doctor who's retiring from a bank in the next few weeks and.......................................................................................................

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    If its like you think , tell him you never got the cheque and ask him to send a second who knowns you may be able to string him along for a few weeks /months

nice plan

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Take check and cash it.

Then he can be Mr Burns to your fidel Castro.

Cheque? What cheque?

Then if your willing to go far enough try

Child? What Child?

The main way that these scams work is that your in ireland and there in holland so there is **** all you can do about anything. What they are playing off is your sense of honor and decency in that you will not try to scam them.

Crazy Dutch bastards. They don't know the irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

not on this site, but...

Edit: or maybe there is any only subscribers have access???
    :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Not an AH answer but...

Foreign cheques can take up to 6 months to clear/bounce.

If you lodge it, a few days later your bank will release the funds to your account, so you think "Awesome, the cheque cleared". They do this under the assumption that the cheque will clear as the majority of them do. But it could be six months before his Dutch cheque actually goes through, and if it bounces then the bank will look for the funds back from you.

People always say "Sure try and cash the cheque anyway and see what happens", but they think it's cleared and then get asked for it all back months later.

phasers wrote: »
    Honestly, why did this require a thread if you don't even want joke answers?
    galwayrush wrote: »
    It can take up to 2 months for your bank to find out if the cheque is a dud, and if so, they will seek a full refund from you, irrespective of any moneys you may have returned to the scammer.
    Spadina wrote: »
    Not an AH answer but...

Foreign cheques can take up to 6 months to clear/bounce.

If you lodge it, a few days later your bank will release the funds to your account, so you think "Awesome, the cheque cleared". They do this under the assumption that the cheque will clear as the majority of them do. But it could be six months before his Dutch cheque actually goes through, and if it bounces then the bank will look for the funds back from you.

People always say "Sure try and cash the cheque anyway and see what happens", but they think it's cleared and then get asked for it all back months later.

See this is why this thread requires an answer!

This is exactly what I would have done, cashed it, waited for it to clear and I would have been caught by this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

See this is why this thread requires an answer!

This is exactly what I would have done, cashed it, waited for it to clear and I would have been caught by this

Yeah, a friend of mine was selling a car a while back and was telling me "Oh yeah it's sold, this guy from the UK is buying it, but there was some mix up and he sent a cheque for too much so I just have to give the extra cash to his friend when he picks up the car and then cash the cheque", I knew right away it was a scam but for further back up I asked a relative who works in the bank about foreign cheques etc, the amount of people that fall for that kind of thing is unreal, then they have to pay it back months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

serious answers please..

I think I may be about to become the victim of a scam shortly.

I need your help to avoid this.

Basically, I run a very small tuition service and I was recently asked for a price on tutoring a boy in various subjects.

I gave the guy a quotation and next thing he emails me back to tell me that he is happy with this amount and his son is actually coming from Holland. Fair enough you say. However, the next line reads "I have instructed my secretary and payment is on the way..."

I somehow have a feeling that a cheque for a significant amount more than what I have asked for is on the way :rolleyes:

Is it as simple as just throwing the cheque in the bin when it arrives if this is the case?

Which I'm pretty sure it is!!

Now pisstake all you like, but could you season it with some real advice too please :D

PS: Posting here as I'm not really sure where else to do so!!

If the cheque comes and the amount isnt the agreed get in touch with the gardai..also..if this is a scam..would they not need your bank details?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

If it is a scam just teach the kid badly, incorrect grammar, spelling, punctuation etc etc.

Bajingo wrote: »
    If the cheque comes and the amount isnt the agreed get in touch with the gardai..also..if this is a scam..would they not need your bank details?

No. They will just request that I send them money back, probably through western union, lol. will let you know how it goes, if nothing else this might highlight this scam for others

I emailled him back anyway and told him not to send any money just yet and would he like to tell me when the child is getting here so he may not even write back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

serious answers please.. However, the next line reads "I have instructed my secretary and payment is on the way..."

Advise him that his secretary is making costly mistakes writing cheques for vastly larger amounts and should be given her P45. How do some people get on in business is beyond me.

Okay, no he's gotten back to me and told me he wants to send me a cheque because he needs to make sure I'm booked so to speak.

Now I'm worried that there is a real life boy (yes, Gepetto, a real life boy!!!) And that my cheque may be for the real amount, but may, as you all have said, bounce as they will be back in holland before I figure this out.

So I had decided to request a paypal transfer. However, I'm not sure how much I would have to pay, but I think paypal will wind up taking a lot of that money.

The bro is suggesting that I give my bank details as there is nothing they can do except wire money in. However, there is something a little uncomfortable about that. Can they REALLY not do anything else with my details?? It seems so wrong for me to give them, but I am very cynical. Am I being stupid or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Okay, no he's gotten back to me and told me he wants to send me a cheque because he needs to make sure I'm booked so to speak.

Now I'm worried that there is a real life boy (yes, Gepetto, a real life boy!!!) And that my cheque may be for the real amount, but may, as you all have said, bounce as they will be back in holland before I figure this out.

So I had decided to request a paypal transfer. However, I'm not sure how much I would have to pay, but I think paypal will wind up taking a lot of that money.

The bro is suggesting that I give my bank details as there is nothing they can do except wire money in. However, there is something a little uncomfortable about that. Can they REALLY not do anything else with my details?? It seems so wrong for me to give them, but I am very cynical. Am I being stupid or what?

I wouldn't be going giving a total stranger my bank details tbh. If you're that uncomfortable about it,why not just cancel the whole thing?
    It sounds a bit dodge to me personally..

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I wouldn't be going giving a total stranger my bank details tbh. If you're that uncomfortable about it,why not just cancel the whole thing?
    It sounds a bit dodge to me personally..

Yeah I think you're right. I actually asked myself that question today, why am I even bothering with it. But the bills need to be paid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yeah I think you're right. I actually asked myself that question today, why am I even bothering with it. But the bills need to be paid...

Ya i understand that,believe me,but you'll be at more of a loss if the check bounces-you've lost the time spent teaching the kid,plus the money, plus whatever the bank charges these days for bounced cheques..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Why not just accept the cheque and wait see if some kid shows up ? If not then you know something is up. If they ask for the cheque to be refunded then just tell them you never cashed it, that you dont need to refund them. If a kid shows up then lodge it.

Why not just accept the cheque and wait see if some kid shows up ? If not then you know something is up. If they ask for the cheque to be refunded then just tell them you never cashed it, that you dont need to refund them. If a kid shows up then lodge it.

Yeah but thats the thing. The cheque could be 6months waiting to clear.

Feck it, i'm just going to let paypal take their cut. I'd rather lose 3% of it than 100% of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

very easy to open another account...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Wouldnt it be hilarious if they sent the kid and scammed you. Youre out a bit of money sure but you'd also get an indentured servant out of the mix so i think it will work out in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

stovelid wrote: »
    Not sure what you should do but could you ask the pupil if it's Netherlands or Holland?

The Nethhollands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

The bro is suggesting that I give my bank details as there is nothing they can do except wire money in.

Jeremy Clarkson thought so too and published his bank details in his newspaper column to prove it. He got an unpleasant surprise though. From this article:
    BBC wrote:
    TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson has lost money after publishing his bank details in his newspaper column.

The Top Gear host revealed his account numbers after rubbishing the furore over the loss of 25 million people's personal details on two computer discs.

He wanted to prove the story was a fuss about nothing.

But he was proved wrong, as the 47-year-old wrote in his Sunday Times column. "I opened my bank statement this morning to find out that someone has set up a direct debit which automatically takes £500 from my account," he said.

"The bank cannot find out who did this because of the Data Protection Act and they cannot stop it from happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Don't do its a major scam, their is no real boy. If he is learning English as one of the subjects why not just go to England? Its closer and I am sure has cheap flights. Sure if the kid is real I am sure the dad caen get someone else to look after him, its not worth your hassle to get ripped off in the end, run while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sounds seedy

I wish I was Alan Titschmarch and knew how to use hyperlink.

So here's a picture of a seed. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Is there such a thing as a bank draft from another country? Or tell him you want travellers cheques. Be up front with him and lie - tell him you were scammed before by another kid's parents and need to be sure he is on the level. Everybody is aware of dodgy bank transactions so it shouldn't really upset him. In fact, it should impress him that such a cunning man will be tutoring his child.

Advertisement