Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know this is AH but...

Options
  • 16-06-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

serious answers please..

I think I may be about to become the victim of a scam shortly.

I need your help to avoid this.

Basically, I run a very small tuition service and I was recently asked for a price on tutoring a boy in various subjects.

I gave the guy a quotation and next thing he emails me back to tell me that he is happy with this amount and his son is actually coming from Holland. Fair enough you say. However, the next line reads "I have instructed my secretary and payment is on the way..."

I somehow have a feeling that a cheque for a significant amount more than what I have asked for is on the way :rolleyes:

Is it as simple as just throwing the cheque in the bin when it arrives if this is the case?

Which I'm pretty sure it is!!

Now pisstake all you like, but could you season it with some real advice too please :D

PS: Posting here as I'm not really sure where else to do so!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Don't tuition anyone without payment up front.

The exact payment.

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

serious answers please

....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Stick it back in the post and tell him he filled it out wrong. Or rip it up and fcuk it in the bin.
    I presume you haven't given him any money or account details for any reason?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eh? What's the problem? Just throw the check away and forget about it.

Also, pics or GTFO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Just see if the cheque clears before you give any classes.

Pupils name isn't Feekey is it because if so there may be some benefits in kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats your Feeky clause anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'd only be worried if his son is in the envelope with the cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,302 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I was recently asked for a price on tutoring a boy in various subjects

Sounds seedy

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

peanuthead wrote: »
    I somehow have a feeling that a cheque for a significant amount more than what I have asked for is on the way :rolleyes:

Why??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

how much was the cheque?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Lol, no I didn't give him bank details and I wouldn't give the child tuition without the money anyway.

I mean the chap hasn't even told me when the child is coming and he's sending me money in the post, ffs

yes, I will be very worried if the child comes in the envelope, LOL

@MagicMarker what do you want pics of?? the child? I think you're in the wrong forum for that

Why??:confused:

Really?

In case you're serious so when I cash it I refund him the difference and then the cheque bounces on me after 3 days or so, something like that. Either way I know it means I lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,302 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

@MagicMarker what do you want pics of?? the child? I think you're in the wrong forum for that

There's a pedo forum? :eek:

rarnes1 wrote: »
    There's a pedo forum? :eek:

not on this site, but...

Edit: or maybe there is any only subscribers have access???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

serious answers please..

I think I may be about to become the victim of a scam shortly.

I need your help to avoid this.

Basically, I run a very small tuition service and I was recently asked for a price on tutoring a boy in various subjects.

I gave the guy a quotation and next thing he emails me back to tell me that he is happy with this amount and his son is actually coming from Holland. Fair enough you say. However, the next line reads "I have instructed my secretary and payment is on the way..."

Is it as simple as just throwing the cheque in the bin when it arrives if this is the case?

Which I'm pretty sure it is!!

Now pisstake all you like, but could you season it with some real advice too please :D

PS: Posting here as I'm not really sure where else to do so!!

If its for the exact amount requested then fine, lodge it to your account and teach the boy after it clears. Overseas cheques can take a long time to clear though (as I found out to my cost). If its for more than you asked, send the cheque back and request the correct amount and don't teach him until you do.

Whatever you do don't refund him any money before the cheque clears (ring the bank to be certain), tell him to cancel it/fuck off otherwise.

If Western Union is mentioned, steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Are you sure he's actually in Holland, or is he in The Netherlands? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

cash the cheque, wait for it to clear.

Then withdraw all funds from your account, and send him a cheque for the change and accindentally send too much. Ask him to send you the change through WU. There you have it, the tables were turned!"

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Really?

In case you're serious so when I cash it I refund him the difference and then the cheque bounces on me after 3 days or so, something like that. Either way I know it means I lose.

Ahhhh!! The light dawns :D
    I'm being a bit slow today :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Oh now I get it...

Your OP wasn't exactly clear, there's no need to be sarky with Smiley Girl.

Just throw the cheque in the bin if it's for too much. Honestly, why did this require a thread if you don't even want joke answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

If it's just a bit over the amount agreed, it could be to cover the charge of lodging an overseas cheque to an Irish account. Lodge it and see what happens.

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Are you sure he's actually in Holland, or is he in The Netherlands? :D

Oh, now that you mention it, yeah I think he said the Netherlands.
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    cash the cheque, wait for it to clear.

Then withdraw all funds from your account, and send him a cheque for the change and accindentally send too much. Ask him to send you the change through WU. There you have it, the tables were turned!"

Waaay too complicated for me.
    Ahhhh!! The light dawns :D
    I'm being a bit slow today :eek:
    :D
    phasers wrote: »
    Oh now I get it...

Your OP wasn't exactly clear, there's no need to be sarky with Smiley Girl.

Just throw the cheque in the bin if it's for too much. Honestly, why did this require a thread if you don't even want joke answers?

I was not being sarky, I wasn't sure if she was messing or not so in case she wasn't I answered her.

It requires a thread because as mentioned in my OP (which obviously wasn't clear at all) that I'm not too sure what to do and there is nowhere I know better than boards to get me a quick answer.

I didn't exactly mean no jokes. That is an unreasonable request from AH, I know.

There are hundreds of threads to browse through and if you don't think this one is worthy of your time then GTFO as they say round here*:p

*not being aggressive, just having a joke - better let you know in case its not clear either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Are you giving the young man his introduction to the gentlemanly arts of seduction and/or dueling?
    Wtf is he sending the kid to Ireland to get tutored for? They run out of teachers in Holland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

"I have instructed my secretary and payment is on the way..."

No. It isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Toss him off until you've earned back the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not sure what you should do but could you ask the pupil if it's Netherlands or Holland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Toss him off until you've earned back the difference.

This is why people don't lend you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It can take up to 2 months for your bank to find out if the cheque is a dud, and if so, they will seek a full refund from you, irrespective of any moneys you may have returned to the scammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

super-rush wrote: »
    I'd only be worried if his son is in the envelope with the cheque.

It's a corespondent course, maybe the extra money is for postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Mail yer man back and tell him you're a convicted sex offender for a laugh ... just to see what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

galwayrush wrote: »
    It can take up to 2 months for your bank to find out if the cheque is a dud, and if so, they will seek a full refund from you, irrespective of any moneys you may have returned to the scammer.

Galwayrush's point is important and often overlooked.

I understand it's longer than two months in some other countries.

Beware, beware.

Advertisement