Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things I hate about the supermarket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

The women who count out all their coppers and end up being a few cent short so have to pull out a note.
    And when someone is halway through scanning and the customer says have you got say heize beans in stock and the cashier has to walk down the isle looking for it then holding up the que:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Paparazzo wrote: »
    There's 3, one where you put your basket, one where you scan stuff and one where you put stuff into a bag. Put anything on any of these surfaces and the whole system crashes. You need the assistant to come over with a key. Too confusing for me

Honestly (from too much bloody experience manning them! :( ), there's generally only a problem when people put stuff in the bagging area like their keys, wallet, handbag or even lean upon cos it's a scale. The scale for the veg shouldn't give too much hassle if you place anything on it and there's no scales on the basket side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    .The frustrated bitchs that run around through the aisles

That's me! Get the fk outta my way, shopping is not for amatuers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Women who ignore the cashier when she tells them how much they owe, instead insisting on packing all their groceries before looking at the scanner to then rummaging around in their purse for change before finally handing over a fifty euro note.

Pay first, then pack, so the next person can be served quicker.
    Ok so a woman has a trolley of shopping you say she should twiddle her thumbs while her items are being checked out then pay and then pack. Pack while your items are being checked out then pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

stovelid wrote: »
    Although I suspect it's in the mind, I get this too.

I had a craving to buy a few bags of Koka Noodles a while back but was too embarrassed to get them as I was only buying milk and wearing tracksuit bottoms. I kept seeing the equation forming in the minds of the people behind me: man in late-thirties + tracksuit + Koka Noodles = alcoholic| kicked out of house |not wanting to cut into drink money.

I've always hoped the occasional irrational self-consciousness I've experienced would go as I got older.

My hopes are dashed.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Beats 'You didn't ask me for my clubcard!! How dare you! RAGE RAGE' stands there going ape**** for a good while..every time.

I don't like Tesco Maynooth. It's intimidatingly big, bleughh.

Oh i love that tesco, loadsa cash registers and a cheapie aisle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't have a supermarket on my doorstep, and I don't drive, which makes shopping a slog, and presents a new problem: I need to pack the bags for the trip home. The stuff needs to go in safely, in the right order (cold & heavy stuff on the bottom) i.e. do it myself. The process ideally takes a bit of space and time.

The worst has to be the Tesco on Baggot St. after the remodelling: the new tills have no space for your bag and the groceries, so I ended up doing it on the floor. (It was just a once-off, thankfully, since I don't live near there any more.) The Lidl/Aldi method, with a separate packing bench, suits me better these days.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

I hate seeing the sterotypical African women yelling at there many childern whilse they hang and swing around the ailses!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    In Asda the other day there was this one walking over and back in front of the checkouts carrying a big arrow saying "this one free"

that would be halarious...

schween wrote: »
    There's no scale where you put the basket. There's one scale where you weigh you fruit/veg and a scale where you pack things to help prevent theft. Nothing confusing at all.

The scales at my local can be a bit temperamental sometimes but work fine most of the time.

Theres no scale to weigh anything, unless you ask for it... theres a place for the bags, where you put your stuff down to pack the bags and it says unexpected item in baggage area.. which is really annoying because you canny pack the bags.. without it moaning.

• Advertisement

The women who count out all their coppers and end up being a few cent short so have to pull out a note.
    And when someone is halway through scanning and the customer says have you got say heize beans in stock and the cashier has to walk down the isle looking for it then holding up the que:mad:

Well, they're well treated up your way, your ment to get it yourself!!!

owenc wrote: »
    Theres no scale to weigh anything, unless you ask for it... theres a place for the bags, where you put your stuff down to pack the bags and it says unexpected item in baggage area.. which is really annoying because you canny pack the bags.. without it moaning.

There are scales to weigh stuff where the scanner is and the bagging area is also a scales. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

flag123 wrote: »
    I hate seeing the sterotypical African women yelling at there many childern whilse they hang and swing around the ailses!

As opposed to our own rigidly-controlled population of mute children?

Millicent wrote: »
    There are scales to weigh stuff where the scanner is and the bagging area is also a scales. Trust me.

Yea but you have to tell the machine if you want to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Millicent is correct. The is a scales where the scanner is to weigh things and a scales where the bagging area is.

When you put something you shouldn't on the bagging area, it's the scales that detects it and sets it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

In Tesco's (Roselawn, Blanchardstown in Dublin), there's about 10 shopping baskets in total. I guessing at this since there is never any at the entrance, and I usually have to walk to the last till to find one sitting amongst a small stack of 4 or 5.

Other pet hates..
    1. People looking for donations in exchange for badly packing your shopping bags. And they usually have the packing abilities of a 3 year old.

2. They way they have 200 of specific item using up an entire shelf, instead of just giving us more choice by stacking 50 of four different products.

3. They sell out of popular items/flavours quickly and don't restock them for a week. Horrendous stock management.

4. Customers who take 5 mins to pack their shopping bags. No doubt at some stage they worked for charities packing other people's shopping bags.

5. Entire areas with nothing but polish food. I don't even know what 95% of it is meant to be since all the labeling is in Polish. This is Ireland, and we speak English not Polish!

6. They way many of them only sell the cheapest brands available. I want good quality stuff, and I don't mind paying extra.

stovelid wrote: »
    As opposed to our own rigidly-controlled population of mute children?

Yes, my sister has an african-scottish baby and, her mother- inlaws etc don't have tons of children..

Yea but you have to tell the machine if you want to use it.

Not on the ones where I work. You just select the weighed product and leave it sit on the scale. Maybe the ones you use are different.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Superquinn's self-scans will weigh fruit & veg, but they don't seem to advertise the fact. It's only if you go looking then the products are in there.

And what's with supermarket manager's awful music taste? I mean the Lighthouse Family are not exactly "new" anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

CREDIT CARDS :mad:

Sorry if I offend those who use them but their is a certain breed who spend a while going through a few different ones and different pins and arsin about. JUST BRING CASH !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What about the ones who go to the checkout and then decide they forgot something and go off looking for it. Meanwhile the check-out person is finished scanning all their shopping and just sitting there looking around and the entire queue are looking angry. When the person finally comes back they have 5 or 6 items in their hands.
    I murdering these people was legal

Not on the ones where I work. You just select the weighed product and leave it sit on the scale. Maybe the ones you use are different.

The ones i have are out of tesco, yours are most likely not out of tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Chewbacca. wrote: »
    I fcuking hate:

.The frustrated bitchs that run around through the aisles

.The fcukers that stand behind you when you are looking deciding which item you are going to get

.The ignorant gob****es that barge down infront of you and gawk at stuff that they don't even want, I feel like kneeing them in the head

.People that leave their trolley in the middle of floor and walk off, I feel like swinging the trolley 360 degrees and smashing it off their back

I'm glad I'm not alone! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

mainly hate people who try skip me in the queue. also my local tesco seems to be always full of mad people, last time some crazy lady infront of me & OH i was looking at her thinking crazy, OH took the nest customer sign she moved her had so the sign hit her finger ( not hard ) she started going mad saying we were lucky we didnt break her nail because she would have jumped us !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

All Dunnes (and Tesco did..not sure now) play horrendously bad unreleased music so they don't have to pay IMRO. It's very depressing to shop with it, soul crushing to work with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Beats 'You didn't ask me for my clubcard!! How dare you! RAGE RAGE' stands there going ape**** for a good while..every time.

I don't like Tesco Maynooth. It's intimidatingly big, bleughh.

im the opposite, i love tesco in maynooth, biggest one in the country, it sells everything.

my main gripe with supermarkets is women with kids who seem to think they have some kind of extra privileges because they have children-that because they have kids they dont have to consider other people.you dont, now get out of my bloody way.

And i cant find haagen dazs vanilla caramel brownie anywhere.tesco lucan,maynooth (the one thing it doesnt have!),celbridge, superquinn lucan, and loads others.they sell every other flavour though! if anyone sees it in that sort of area let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

df1985 wrote: »
    im the opposite, i love tesco in maynooth, biggest one in the country, it sells everything.

my main gripe with supermarkets is women with kids who seem to think they have some kind of extra privileges because they have children-that because they have kids they dont have to consider other people.you dont, now get out of my bloody way.

And i cant find haagen dazs vanilla caramel brownie anywhere.tesco lucan,maynooth (the one thing it doesnt have!),celbridge, superquinn lucan, and loads others.they sell every other flavour though! if anyone sees it in that sort of area let me know!

http://www.haagen-dazs.com/company/new_look.aspx

can't place that one..... sounds like one of the limited edition ones that came last nov when they were 33% off. not in stock now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

df1985 wrote: »

I think it's like Walmart or something. The really big wall of soft drinks freaks me out. And I hate the fact that bread is Aisle No. 39. Great that's it's huge obviously, but yeah I find it a bit freaky. Superquinn Lucan, now there's a nice supermarket :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I think it's like Walmart or something. The really big wall of soft drinks freaks me out. And I hate the fact that bread is Aisle No. 39. Great that's it's huge obviously, but yeah I find it a bit freaky. Superquinn Lucan, now there's a nice supermarket :)

yeah it is essentially a walmart. yeah the wall of fizzy drinks is strange. the club orange looks manky because the bits have all settled at the bottom, they been up there so long, covered in dust too!

bread in last aisle-make you walk through the entire store in the hopes you will pick other things up.

Advertisement