Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to lose weight

• 08-06-2015 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hey there guys,

Starting this year I decided to do something about my weight. I was obese at 120KG mostly fat at 6'2''. Since the start of the year I have lost about 8KG and am currently at 112KG with some muscle gain or at least perceived muscle gain. I lost this weight by simply eating less calories, i didn't exactly get serious about it and would still eat at the wrong times and the wrong foods but I would have been eating less calories.

Now I would like to get serious about my diet. I joined the gym this week too, I know diet is more important but I enjoy swimming so why not even though I can't swim for very long, maybe 2 laps with a few minutes rest.

I bought some supplements and I admit I did so without much thought or research. I was just browsing and ended up making an order.

This is what I bought:
    Instant Oats, Unflavoured
    Impact Diet Whey, Chocolate Mint
    The following came in a pack together:
    BCAA
    Nutri Greens Plus
    Impact Whey Protein, Rocky Road

I have no idea if I should be using them.

For the past few days this has been my diet:

Breakfast 8am:
    Shake with 200ml low fat milk, one scoop protein, one scoop oats, one scoop nutri-greens.

Lunch 2pm:
    Blended shake with one scoop protein, 300ml low fat milk, 2 bananas, ice.

Dinner around 6pm:
    Skinless chicken breast dish. Usually with brown rice and some sort of Asian or Indian sauce.

night snack between 8pm and 10pm, whenever I get hungry:
    Fruit.

Now I have no idea if I am doing myself good here so would love to get some advice from any fitness people out there on how I can go forward.

My goal before anything else is to lose weight. I want to become healthy. I want to be able to run for more than a minute at a time. I want to feel good and look good.

If you need any more information let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ptyloch

It looks like you might be seriously below your calorie intake even for weight loss. Start an account on www.myfitnesspal.com and it will give you a better figure as to what you should have everyday, for example I'm 97 Kg, high body fat (30%) and my calorie intake should be 2340 calories a day, and at that I'm still loosing weight.

Swap out the 2 shakes you are having for normal meals, the shakes are only a supplement, they are not meant to replace your food.

Buy a digital kitchen weighing scale in Argos and start measuring your food intake on a daily basis.

You don't mention your water intake, this is something you should be looking at, at your weight 4-5 litres a day would be reccomended (8-10 pints).

Don't worry about going to the gym or swimming, any physical activity is beneficial and will improve your metabolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ptyloch

€4.09 for a bag of oats? Seriously, just get them in Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

ptyloch wrote: »
    It looks like you might be seriously below your calorie intake even for weight loss. Start an account on www.myfitnesspal.com and it will give you a better figure as to what you should have everyday, for example I'm 97 Kg, high body fat (30%) and my calorie intake should be 2340 calories a day, and at that I'm still loosing weight.

Swap out the 2 shakes you are having for normal meals, the shakes are only a supplement, they are not meant to replace your food.

Buy a digital kitchen weighing scale in Argos and start measuring your food intake on a daily basis.

You don't mention your water intake, this is something you should be looking at, at your weight 4-5 litres a day would be reccomended (8-10 pints).

Don't worry about going to the gym or swimming, any physical activity is beneficial and will improve your metabolism.

This is the kind of advice I am after. I have no idea what I am doing :) I will definitely check out myfitnesspal. Seems like it will be a great help.

I am going to buy a scales this week as soon as payday roles around. It was the next purchase I had in mind.

I drink a lot of water. I buy those 5l jugs from aldi and would use probably 5 of them a week. Tap water here is below standards.

I got them free with my order last week, it was a special they had running. Saying that though the oats are finely ground up and mix in a shake in seconds so very handy. There is also a lot in the bag, it will last me a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Yeah if you're looking to lose weight shakes with oats wouldn't be a great idea. Oats, protein powder and milk is a good idea for weight gainers, but not really for weight loss.

Stick to whole foods as much as possible, as you'll feel fuller for longer.

Most importantly though, you need to start tracking calories as it's just a guessing game otherwise. Figure out your TDEE, subtract 500cals, or maybe more in your case, and use something like myfitnesspal to get an idea of your macros. A foodscale is handy to weigh food, and after a week it becomes a habit so don't worry about it being a chore.

Just get into the habit of eating better, and make sure you weigh yourself every week; you should be losing at least a pound a week at your weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yeah if you're looking to lose weight shakes with oats wouldn't be a great idea. Oats, protein powder and milk is a good idea for weight gainers, but not really for weight loss.

No sure I'd agree. Good solid breakfast with slow release carbs is a great way to keep yourself satisfied and avoid snacking. A lot of people have mid-morning snacks a couple of hours after breakfast.

Does Lidl have powdered oats? Cos otherwise they're not going in a shake. That said, though, the price appears to have gone up quite a bit since the last bag I bought (a tenner for 5KG as opposed to 13). Not sure how much the conversion rate from GBP matters there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement