Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Height adjustable office desks/desktop

Options
  • 04-06-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ive began to try standing for a few hours a day in my office, at the moment Im resorting to putting my wireless keyboard and mouse on a tiny little chair that was lying around, just to see what its like.

So far Im loving it. The problem is I work with 2 screens and they are still sitting on the table itself, which i can see is already causing problems, strain on eyes as they are further away,bad back posture because im always looking down and of course the fact that ive a chair on top my desk :).

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced solution where I could put something adjustable on my current desk that gives me the option to sit and stand without much effort of adjusting the height. The reason id prefer something to put on the desk rather than a whole desk is a: possibly cheaper, b: not too keen on replacing the whole desk.

It doesnt have to look good, it just has to work.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Looking at this option myself, check out the link:

http://www.huntoffice.ie/height-adjustable-desks.html

If anyone has any other options, I'd appreciate it.

Really don't understand why these desks are so much more expensive than other normal desks... they are just height adjustable?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sllower to make and more materials, I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

May seem very basic but in my workplace some people are using these stackable monitor stands (stacked 3-4 units to desired height)

http://www.lowcostoffice.ie/Machines-and-Supplies/Computer-Accessories/Monitor-Stands/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

I bought a small coffee table on IKEA and mounted on my desk. Cost around 20euro, its the same as the hack version in this link.

http://www.wired.com/2012/10/mf-standing-desk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Thanks folks, Im thinking of going with one of those ridiculously cheap hack/solutions. Only problem is none of those are adjustable so it requires more effort during the day to transition between sitting and standing. But I might just get over that, it shouldnt take more 2/3 mins of swapping things around and also it might encourage me to more routinely plan when Ill be doing my sitting and standing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

I'm lucky enough to have an adjustable desk in work which was provided by my employer (I had back problems) but for my home desk I just use the Ikea coffee table hack. It seriously only takes a minute to "adjust" i.e. take the coffee table from under the desk and put it on the desk. I use it for studying so for holding my study notes/books I use one of those cookbook stands with an anti-slip mat underneath it - the angle is so much better for my neck/shoulder.

Advertisement