Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch - Out of contract. Internal alarm goes of every evening

Options
  • 21-06-2012 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am just out of contract with Eircom Phonewatch and every evening the internal unit starts beeping saying "gsm net" "not registered"

We are just out of contract and the error is due to it not being able to contact Eircom.

Now I phoned Eircom and they say that they need to send an engineer - 110 euro.

What a joke.

They can't tell me over the phone how to disable to contact with Eircom?

Anyone know how to do it or do I just need to sign back up?

Cheers
    m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

I have had a similar issue.

Like myself you would appear to have been on the basic contract. The signal that you are getting would seem to indicate that have not paid since your contract ran out.

In my case I am on a direct debit of €15 per month. After about six years the batteries started to run down and the system would beep an alert.

Phonewatch gave me two options. I could pay the callout fee plus cost of batteries. Alternatively, as my contract is up for renewal, I can upgrade to the the next highest plan which is €25 per month. This would entitle me to two visits per year with renewal of batteries where necessary.

Perhaps you were paying annually rather than monthly and have not paid the renewal which would explain the signal that you are getting.

I'd say that your option is to renew your contract or simply disconnect the system. There should be a box with a pop out fuse near your control panel.

For my part I'm going to renew. Last year we had to activate the police panic button on the system when we had an intruder and this year we had a fire and activated the fire brigade button. So I consider that the system has paid for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks for the reply.

If I remove the fuse will that disable the whole alarm?

I'd like to just disable the annoying beeping that warns me it can't contact Eircom.

I don't want to disable the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Perhaps the mods will move this to the alarm and security section for you
    The lads there usually respond fairly quick
    Dont remove any fuses though

meercat wrote: »
    Dont remove any fuses though

Why not?

The system is inactive – otherwise it will just keep beeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The system is not inactive. It is still a functioning alarm system,its just not a monitored alarm system.

The beep is merely telling the OP that the system cannot contact Eircom to tell them of its status,ie Eircom cannot monitor the alarm because the op is out of contract and Eircom have disabled the GSM.

If monitoring is important to the op he can renew with Eircom or shop around for the likely much better deals available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

superg wrote: »
    The system is not inactive. It is still a functioning alarm system,its just not a monitored alarm system.

The beep is merely telling the OP that the system cannot contact Eircom to tell them of its status,ie Eircom cannot monitor the alarm because the op is out of contract and Eircom have disabled the GSM.

If monitoring is important to the op he can renew with Eircom or shop around for the likely much better deals available.

Agree
    By removing the fuses the battery takes over
    When this battery dies the SAB unit (another battery unit)activates your alarm and then you will not be able to disarm panel at all

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

installed these for a few years, its very easy to remove/reprogram the dialler options and have it as a stand alone alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

What system do you have? Id be more then happy to help. Eircom tell their customers these things. Dont remove any fuses . The alarm can be monitored by any monitoring station not just eircom. You can also set it up to ring your mobile or even better a neighbours .

What system do you have? Id be more then happy to help. Eircom tell their customers these things. Dont remove any fuses . The alarm can be monitored by any monitoring station not just eircom. You can also set it up to ring your mobile or even better a neighbours .

Thanks

Its a Simon XT

Would appreciate it if you could tell me how to get it to stop beeping every night! :)

mathie wrote: »
    Thanks

Its a Simon XT

Would appreciate it if you could tell me how to get it to stop beeping every night! :)

That's the model that I have. Try this.

When it beeps press the right most button on the control panel. It should be marked "I", you should then get an audio system report, when that finishes press the button to the immediate left of the "I" button, that should have a house symbol. That should stop the beeping for a day or so.

That worked when I had a similar problem – though I was still a subscriber at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi

I am just out of contract with Eircom Phonewatch and every evening the internal unit starts beeping saying "gsm net" "not registered"

We are just out of contract and the error is due to it not being able to contact Eircom.

Now I phoned Eircom and they say that they need to send an engineer - 110 euro.

What a joke.

They can't tell me over the phone how to disable to contact with Eircom?

Anyone know how to do it or do I just need to sign back up?

Cheers
    m

It is due to them turning off the sim card. The could easily talk you through taking out the numbers over the phone but there is no profit in that for them :-)

Does anyone know how to change the phone number its trying to call?
    thanks

Anyone?

Anyone?

Very easy to set up. Go into your user menu, scroll to system programming, press enter. Enter the engineer code. scroll to reporting menu, enter. Scroll to phone numbers and enter the numbers you want the system to ring. There are 4. Scroll to the reporting menu and change the communication modes the system dials out on to voice dialer for each of the 4 numbers or whichever ones you have programmed. When the system dials your phone, just follow the voice prompts.

altor wrote: »
    Very easy to set up. Go into your user menu, scroll to system programming, press enter. Enter the engineer code. scroll to reporting menu, enter. Scroll to phone numbers and enter the numbers you want the system to ring. There are 4. Scroll to the reporting menu and change the communication modes the system dials out on to voice dialer for each of the 4 numbers or whichever ones you have programmed. When the system dials your phone, just follow the voice prompts.

Thanks but when I go to System Programming I don't see Reporting
    I see ...
    Access codes
    Security
    Timers
    System Options
    Seen Options
    Light Control
    Ethernet config
    GSM Config
    System Tests

Thanks

altor wrote: »

I see ...
    Access codes
    Security
    Timers
    System Options
    Seen Options
    Light Control
    Ethernet config
    GSM Config
    System Tests

Thanks

I don't know much about the XT model
    But from reading your last post I'd look in GSM config :)

Yes I looked in there but there doesn't seem to be much (if anything) that can be changed.

:(

Yes I looked in there but there doesn't seem to be much (if anything) that can be changed.

Are you entering the master code?
    Not the one you use to disarm the system

I see ...
    Access codes
    Security
    Timers
    System Options
    Seen Options
    Light Control
    Ethernet config
    GSM Config
    System Tests

Thanks

If you have the engineer code you would see reporting and phones which is where you need to get to change the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Hi OP

Suffering exact same issue. Did you manage to resolve without master code? Any tips?

Jon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If its going off all the time there is a faulty device somewhere. What message is it giving you after an activation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

"GSM Net Not Registered" ... when it goes off I clear it by pressing "i" then disarm then "i" again but about 12 hours later it starts again.

we just moved into a house and the monitoring service has not been renewed. I'm assuming the alarm is going off because it can't contact the service. I'd like to disable the calling function by deleting the phone number but i can't get into that function without the master code.

any ideas?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can delete it from the panel if you have the engineer code.
    I will PM you the manual and Information re the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

Koolkid,

i have the same issue - moved to a house, turned the electricity off last week to do some work , and since i get the beeping every night , hitting disable the alarm seems to keep it quiet for the day, but it goes off again at some point during the night, every few minutes.
    The system is a Concord , if you have the infos on how to stop it to try to contact the monitoring service /engineer code , that would be great

I sent you a PM re that manual and the engineer code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GalwayLLB

KoolKid wrote: »
    I sent you a PM re that manual and the engineer code.

Koolkid...would you mind sending the engineer code to me.....the beeping is driving me mad....I'd prefer the alarm as standalone. I assume the SIM card is no longer active. What happens if I put an active one in?

Its a simon xt....

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

You can just change it to call your phone instead of phonewatch or have another company take it over and save money compared to going back to phonewatch

GalwayLLB wrote: »
    Koolkid...would you mind sending the engineer code to me.....the beeping is driving me mad...

I explained how to get the engineer code in my PM. If that option doesn't work try putting a zero in front of it.

Evolution1 wrote: »
    You can just change it to call your phone instead of phonewatch or have another company take it over and save money compared to going back to phonewatch

When my contract was up for renewal last year I tried to find another company to quote for the monitoring and maintenance contract but could not find much interest.

That may have been because I was not buying additional equipment.

My renewal is due to come up again in a couple of months and I would like to find better value. The last time that I was inquiring several operators said that they were unable to service Phonewatch systems - which surprised me.

Should anybody have any suggestions I would welcome them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Condatis wrote: »
    When my contract was up for renewal last year I tried to find another company to quote for the monitoring and maintenance contract but could not find much interest.

That may have been because I was not buying additional equipment.

My renewal is due to come up again in a couple of months and I would like to find better value. The last time that I was inquiring several operators said that they were unable to service Phonewatch systems - which surprised me.

Should anybody have any suggestions I would welcome them.

Sounds to me like a lot of guys in your area are probably excellent with a particular make and cannot be bothered with anything else.

Where abouts in the country are you?

Advertisement