Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Rate Monitor

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking for some help in getting a good heart rate monitor, i have one from lidl but don't have the masters degree to work it. Been following the instructions for an hour and still getting no where, I'm fit to smash it off the wall:mad:

Not looking for anything too expensive, just something that will record my average, highest, lowest heart rate and give me an estimation of calories burned during my exercise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

polar rs 300x, from fitnessdigital.ie, great watch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

If it doesnt have a chest strap then it is largely useless IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

john_cappa wrote: »

Could you recommend one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Methven

john_cappa wrote: »

Could you recommend one?
    I have the Polar Ft7 and fond it great. Comes with chest strap which is vital and is very easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Garmin forerunner 110 with heart rate chest strap for £128.

You can't go wrong with the garmin :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Mens-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B003EGC47Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343227735&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've a Polar FT7 and find it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Penny77

I'm in the market for 1 too and want to be able to use it in the pool too, so Can't really use a strap!
    I was in a few shops today and you can pay up to 400E for Motorola smart training watch (but it's not even waterproof!)

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MOTOACTV-Sports-Watch-Strap/84096,en_US,pd.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The polar is waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 39,099 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hey all,

I'm looking for some help in getting a good heart rate monitor, i have one from lidl but don't have the masters degree to work it. Been following the instructions for an hour and still getting no where, I'm fit to smash it off the wall:mad:

Not looking for anything too expensive, just something that will record my average, highest, lowest heart rate and give me an estimation of calories burned during my exercise.
    I have a polar FT4 and find it great.
    I'm only looking for average HR, highest HR, length of session and calories burned. The FT4 does all of that.
    I don't think you'll find one that records lowest HR. It's not really a useful measurement when talking about exercise. Resting HR would be, and thats easily calculated via average at rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I am currently using a Timex Ironman Global Trainer and it records lowest heart rate. Not that usefull TBH and the main feature I use is GPS for pacing and distance on runs. Maybe on a cycle lowest HR may be usefull, but then again you are always going to start your exercise at your lowest heart rate, unless you start after doing a couple mins warm up.

I would recommend Polar as they are probably the best for HRM devices. Garmin for GPS. I used Polar for ages and only switced to use the GPS features of the Timex.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

My Polar RS100 is a complete workhorse. Has the nice soft strap too.

It's a complete budget model without any fancy crap, but it does what it says it'll do perfectly.

To the best of my knowledge and research around triathlons, no one really wears heart rate monitors in the pool?! Could be wrong tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mooo

the googley machine tells me that the signal doesnt transmit to the watch when used in the water so while you can wear the HRM you wont have any information re your HR just your time, the only way it can work is if the data is recorded directly onto the chest strap

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Aa far as I know the timex works in water as the strap transmits in 2.4ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

http://www.mcsport.ie/swimovate-poolmate/p-wosti136pd.html

What about something like that? I don't think that particular model includes HRM but you could look for something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JimmyMagee53

Hi,

I hope someone can help me find the heart rate monitor I'm looking for. I need a HRM with a feature that allows me to pre-programme my own interval workout . And one which will audibly notify me when i need to rest/start running again.

I've had HRMs before and I've used the stop watch to keep the time but this requires me to constantly keep an eye on the watch and this interferes with the workout. This is not ideal as I intend to use for high intensity interval sprinting (on my own).

I just want to hear a beep and know its time to rest and then hear another beep when its time to run again!!

I've seen a few suitable candidates (PolarRS400) online but, invariably, they're nearly 200 dollars +. Maybe I' just need to pay if I want these features, but hopefully not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 39,099 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Obvious question, why not use an interval timer that will beat when certain interval periods are up. Seems like a much simpler way to avoid checking the stopwatch.

Less obvious question, how you you plan on working out the heartrates that you need to stop and start running at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JimmyMagee53

Because the last HRM I had didn't have an interval training function.

And

Sorry, I think I could have been cleaer. I don't intend to. (although I'm pretty sure you can pre set your heart rate monitor to beep when your heart rate goes over or below a certain rate.) What i want is a heart rate monitor that I can preprogramme a workout with.

For example, I could set it up so that it beeps at the start of the workout - I start doing 25m shuttle runs-, then another beep after 2 mins- I rest-, 30 seconds later there is another beep to let me know its time to run again. After a minute of shuttle runs there is another beep to signal a rest. 15 seconds latr there is another beep letting me know it's time to go again...and so on and so forth!!

Hopefully, my dream HRM would have the ability to let me know when i'm out of my 'heart rate training zone', ASWELL as acting as a workout timer/guide!!

Any clearer?? Most hrms under 100 spuds dntcum equipped with a pre-programmed workout function!

Thanks for getting back onto me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The Polar RS400 is the only one (apart from the RS800, elite watch) which will work with Polar Pro Trainer 5 software.

The Polar RS300 will allow basic interval programing but the sort of sessions you are thinking of require multiphase intervals which only becomes available on the RS400 and upwards.

Now to qualify this, the new models RC3, RCX and FT range while able to do interval programming are limited to x4 phases.

You can also look at the Garmin range of watches, specifically the 305 (dirt cheap on the net because its discontinued, but a great watch) or 405/410 which will also allow you to program sessions. HR on Garmin is not as dependable as Polar

My recommendation? The RS400 is the best one for your purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Hi
    I'm aware this thread is 2 years old but maybe you experienced the same issue...I've a rs400 about 3 years now at least and the watch screen seems to have cracked (I think it was caused by high temperatures when I had it on holidays recently).. now I can hardly read the screen with all the cracks on it....do u think its possible to get the watch screen replaced? any guess how much a screen replacement would cost? For the polar rs400....
    Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm aware this thread is 2 years old but maybe you experienced the same issue...I've a rs400 about 3 years now at least and the watch screen seems to have cracked (I think it was caused by high temperatures when I had it on holidays recently).. now I can hardly read the screen with all the cracks on it....do u think its possible to get the watch screen replaced? any guess how much a screen replacement would cost? For the polar rs400....
    Ta

Contact your local service centre through Polar website and you can get an idea of the cost and arrange a RET number which is required for any service work.

I would not expect it to cost too much. Probably pay more on postage than on the service cost. Bear in mind An Post refuse to ship anything containing a battery so be sure to remove the battery before posting and have proof of it being battery-less.

Advertisement