Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fibit Charger HR OR Jawbone Up3

• 02-06-2015 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in 2 minds on which one to get. I have read up on both of them and they both have there good points and bad points.

I'm not mad into running and fitness, go for a 3-5km run 2-3 times a week at the moment, but hoping to up that.

I like the IDEA of the up3 with are all the promise on what it might\will do with future update, but are they going to come true, or just blow way like smoke in the wind.

What do you fitness addicts think.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Get the 20 euroish mi band if you are in two minds about spending much more on a brand name product. I bought mine from amazon.

It does pretty much everything the fitbit does for about 20% of the price. I just got mine about 4 days ago and I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The Mi Band is ridiculously cheap but it is not accurate to say it does pretty much everything that the Fitbit does. It doesn't even have a screen, for one.

Zillah wrote: »
    The Mi Band is ridiculously cheap but it is not accurate to say it does pretty much everything that the Fitbit does. It doesn't even have a screen, for one.

Only the more expensive fitbits have a screen.

I was using the fitbit one before I got this mi band and it seems to be as accurate, the app on the phone is a bit lacking but it now integrates with google fit which is really nice.

Edit. realised you meant I was not accurate in my statement, not that the mi band wasn't accurate :), like I said I used a fitbit one before this one and it seems to do pretty much everything that did minus some of the functionality of the app such as social features.

The title specifies the Fitbit Charge HR, which has a screen so it doubles as a wrist watch. It also has an optical heart rate monitor, which the Mi Band lacks. Charge estimates calorie burn using your body weight, movements and heart rate. Mi Band is also Android 4.4 only, no iOS.

It's ridiculously cheap and the battery lasts longer - it has those advantages - but they're not the same by any means.

Zillah wrote: »
    The title specifies the Fitbit Charge HR, which has a screen so it doubles as a wrist watch. It also has an optical heart rate monitor, which the Mi Band lacks. Charge estimates calorie burn using your body weight, movements and heart rate. Mi Band is also Android 4.4 only, no iOS.

It's ridiculously cheap and the battery lasts longer - it has those advantages - but they're not the same by any means.

That is fair enough. I did not see OP was looking at the HR model. If I had the cash and I was looking for a good piece of kit I would definitely go for one of the top tier fitbits that include HR monitoring. However, if I were looking for a fitness tracker that did not include HR monitoring I would go for the mi band for 20 euro.

Also, mi band works on ios as far as I know: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mi-fit/id938688461?mt=8

• Advertisement

Oh, the reviews must be out of date then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi,

I'm in 2 minds on which one to get. I have read up on both of them and they both have there good points and bad points.

I'm not mad into running and fitness, go for a 3-5km run 2-3 times a week at the moment, but hoping to up that.

I like the IDEA of the up3 with are all the promise on what it might\will do with future update, but are they going to come true, or just blow way like smoke in the wind.

What do you fitness addicts think.

What are you hoping to achieve from the device?

Are you looking for something to motivate you to be more active? Do you want to track your run, improve your time etc?

These activity bands are good for increasing and monitoring activity, they are not great for timing or tracking your runs.

I got the basic fitbit this time last year, I found it a very good way of increasing my activity. I made it a goal that I would do my 10,000 steps for a couple of days, then I would have a streak and I wouldn't want to let it go.

Forward on a year, I am much more active in general than I was, I'm doing reasonably intensive exercise (5k run, soccer or tag) at least 4 or 5 times a week, I don't feel the need for the fitbit anymore, I know when I have been active in a week or not.

I recently bought a basic Garmin GPS watch, I find it really good for tracking the distance of runs and times (including your pace of each KM or whatever). The watch is in and around the same price as the branded activity trackers. (I bought the orange version of the one I linked to from amazon two weeks ago for £60, so it must change in price regularly enough)

I don't wear the watch as my day to day watch, but you could if you wanted, the face is a little chunky but its fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I currently have the Garmin VivoSmart (prior to that had the FitBit flex) and would highly recommend it. The app for the FitBit has a nicer user interface compared to the Garmin, but that's about it. The Garmin sets customized goals to push you to move more....it keeps topping up your steps every day if you reach goal :) It also has a move bar....it buzzes if you're inactive for an hour or more. Review: http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/10/garmin-vivosmart-review/

It also has smartwatch notifications, which I have since turned off as whatsapp messages were causing vibrations (read: micro-shocks :P) several times a minute....felt like I was being conditioned :D:D:D

I have mine since Jan. Prior to buying I was very intrigued by the Fitbit Charge HR, given that it includes a HR monitor...however, recent reviews have shown that this feature is not as accurate as other devices. (If I find where I read this I will add, think it was in a tech article)

I have found these two youtube reviews particularly useful for the Garmin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4_KdTKsAoM & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PByObmZrIQ

As above, wearable tech is quite a personal thing.....it really depends on what you want to track/measure or indeed what aspects of your fitness you wish to improve. Best of luck with your decision

Prior to buying I was very intrigued by the Fitbit Charge HR, given that it includes a HR monitor...however, recent reviews have shown that this feature is not as accurate as other devices.

The Charge HR is about as good as you can get for wrist-based heart rate monitoring (the much more expensive Surge uses the exact same optical sensor). A chest strap is the only way to get better. It is not perfect, especially for doing weights, but it is quite accurate for resting heart rate, and exercises that having a regular, predictable motion, like running or cycling.

Advertisement