Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MPG question?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

E92 wrote: »
    I don't know what either l/100 km or km/l is,so its mpg for me!
    How can you "not know" what ltr/100km is.....it's the amount of litres of fuel required to travel 100kilometres and it's an easy conversion to convert from ltr/100km to mpg, simply divide the ltrs/100km into 282.5.

So for example if your car is using 7.1 ltrs of fuel every 100km, then
    282.5 / 7.1 = 39.79MPG

In saying all that, I still use MPG :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

fletch wrote: »
    How can you "not know" what ltr/100km is

I know what it is in the sense that I know that litres per 100 km means I used x litres for every 100 km I travelled.

But its like comparing apples with oranges. Its so awkward to convert from one to the other.

Its not like going from miles to kilometres, thats a very simple conversion, 5 miles=8 km.

Anyway, my car is in miles, so I only have to convert from litres to gallons! And it has a trip computer anyway, so I let that do the hard work for me!(I know they are not 100% accurate by any measure of means, but they are not far off)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Its definitely true about the lower capacity engines in larger cars and again with the increased fuel consumption in the city. My Focus estate has a 1.4 engine and gets about 320-340 miles before the fuel light comes on. Its got a 55 litre tank and usually only takes about 48 litres to fill it up when the fuel light comes on (leaving about 7 litres still in the tank). So thats about 31.5 mpg mostly around the city. In comparison to when I do longer stretches on the motorway up and down to Belfast where the fuel light comes on around the 390-400 mile mark which is about 39 mpg.

Advertisement