Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MPG question?

Options
  • 17-03-2007 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

My wife just traded in a 00 1.9tdi for a 05 1.6l petrol Opel Meriva (I know, lets ignore it for the time being!). The thing is, this thing is eating juice. With the diesel she was getting about 52-55 MPG (acording to the trip comp) but the Meriva is running must worse. At present she is getting about 310 miles per full tank (53 liters) compared to nearly 580 miles with a full diesel tank (55 liters).

Does this should madness to anyone, or is it normal? Her driving routine hasn't changed. Could there be anything up with this car?

p.s I haven't driven a petrol car in years so I really have no idea about the difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thats about 26mpg...seems a bit much for a 1.6 petrol

is it all heavy traffic driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

It might be the way you are measuring it. Test it over a couple of fills. Also, Lex's point about heavy traffic driving may be the reason. The drop in fuel efficiency in heavy traffic can be pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

No, there is pretty much no traffic, all open road driving. I wouldn't mind if that was the case but country living is virtually traffic free!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

azzeretti wrote:
    No, there is pretty much no traffic, all open road driving. I wouldn't mind if that was the case but country living is virtually traffic free!

does you wife like rally driving?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭maidhc

A colleague gets 320 miles out of a 1.4 Astra. He likewise gets 55 or so mpg from an Octavia TDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

dil999 wrote:
    does you wife like rally driving?:)
    lol.
    She does the same driving she did in the diesel. I took it myself for a while and its the same. Bloody nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Off topic, but is there a metric equivalent of mpg?
    I don't know what a gallon is-I'll look it up but maybe there is some better system that mpg

We buy fuel by the litre and odometers are in kilometres. kpl anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

micmclo wrote:
    Yes, it's litres used per 100km (ltr/100km)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you can go to google and type

convert xx mpg to l/100km and you get the conversion

on the topic of city driving opposed to open roads

my wifes 2.0 Diesel only gets about 32mpg around the town doing the school runs but out on the motorway with the cruise control on at about 120km/h it can achieve almost 60mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

azzeretti wrote:

Then theres a problem somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Farmer I know bought one of those Merivas,his one wascomplete disaster for drinking petrol too, maybe there was a bad run of them or summat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

what contrived her to swap a volks tdi for a meriva in the 1st place for god sake.

women..phfffffffffffft:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lex Luthor wrote:
    you can go to google and type

convert xx mpg to l/100km and you get the conversion

Unfortunately the Google conversion uses US gallons as opposed to Imperial gallons :( I haven't
    found the magic incantation to make it use Imperial gallons yet, but I'm sure there is one.

Here's one that works both ways and also is switchable between US and Imperial

http://www.eforecourt.com/l_100km_mpg_convert.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Alun wrote:
    Unfortunately the Google conversion uses US gallons as opposed to Imperial gallons :( I haven't
    found the magic incantation to make it use Imperial gallons yet, but I'm sure there is one.

Here's one that works both ways and also is switchable between US and Imperial

If memory serves me right 1 Gallon is 4.542 Litres. and 100Km is 0.621 miles

so 60 MPG would be just on 4.5L/100Km

Just an observation on the US gallon ....as a US Gallon is just 3.6Litres it can make direct MPG comparsions between say Irish cars and US cars an apples and oranges comparsion. (They still get rotten MPG anyway :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pedalharder

The direct conversion l/100km to mpg is as follows:

282 divided by the figure in l/100km gives you miles per gallon.

Therefore if your cars fuel consumption is rated at 7.1 l/100km

Consumption = 282/7.1 = 39.7mpg

(100km x 0.62 converts to miles, divided by 0.22 converts to gallons (Not US) = 282 (approx))

I couldn't find the answer anywhere else so this might be of use to anyone who googles this topic in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

In other words, mpg / 4.54 gives you miles per litre

This figure, divided by .621 gives you kilometres per litre.

Divide 100 by the new figure and you have l/100km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

back on topic 310 miles for a 1.6 meriva is crazy (assuming its a 55L tank??)
    even in hevy traffic it would be bad but considering its open road there must be something wrong.

Im getting close to that in an old skool V6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

That does seem quite low. However, I have heard that small engines are relatively thristy at high speeds, due to short gearing and higher revs, but im not sure to what degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    That does seem quite low. However, I have heard that small engines are relatively thristy at high speeds, due to short gearing and higher revs, but im not sure to what degree.

This can be true - my 1.6 Alfa seemed just as thirsty as my dad's 2.0 one. But according to Parkers the 1.4 meriva gets higher MPG than the 1.6, and that gets less than the 1.8. There's a huge range of variants for the 1.6, so not sure which one is the most appropriate, but they all seem to get late 30s at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Crikies thats bad.

When I changed from a 1.4 to a 1.8 their was only about 20 miles in the difference on a fill,same size tanks.

My 2.5 v6 gets 300-310 out of a tank every time and can only squeeze in 48ltr at the fill:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I know on the motorway my 2.5l E36 sits at around 40-50mpg at 75mph. Im getting about 330 miles from 60 litres with a 70/30 motorway/city driving ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Andrewf20 wrote: »

The problem these days is that most cars have gotten very heavy, so in the continent where they are not stung by that curse called VRT, they can just go for a larger engine, and in many cases are not offered the teeny weeny engines offered here, or they go for a diesel(and diesels are more advantaegeous the heavier the car is), whereas in Ireland because of VRT we're stuck with cars with under powered and under capacity engines which still sell by the bucket load.

These under capacity engines are not offered in most of Europe(like the BMW 316i which is only on sale in Ireland and Turkey and nowhere else in the world), and therefore the cars are not designed with the small engines fitted to our machines.

What all of this means is that the teeny weeny engines have to be worked hard, and when an engine is being worked hard, it is using a lot of fuel.

A bigger engine or a more powerful engine has more power available so it doesn't need to be worked half as hard, so it actually turns out that cars with larger engines(within in reason, like say a 1.8 vs a 1.6 in say a Vectra) are more efficient in the real world.

Within reason of course, I'm not trying to say that a 4 litre Opel Meriva will use less fuel than a 1.6, but I am trying to say that a 1.6 will be under less stress and not worked as hard as a 1.4, so it should in theory be better on the mpg than a 1.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Very accurate conversion site if anyone is interested.

Some converters use US gallons, this one lets you decide which type, US or imperial.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

E92 wrote: »

Within reason of course, I'm not trying to say that a 4 litre Opel Meriva will use less fuel than a 1.6, but I am trying to say that a 1.6 will be under less stress and not worked as hard as a 1.4, so it should in theory be better on the mpg than a 1.4.

Though, as I said earlier, the MPG figures are better for the 1.4 than the 1.6 according to parkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

micmclo wrote: »
    I don't know what a gallon is-I'll look it up but maybe there is some better system that mpg

We buy fuel by the litre and odometers are in kilometres. kpl anyone?

O/T: my car has it in kilometers per litre in the dash, which is perfect as it's a straight comparison - e.g., fill up 60 litres, and I usually do around 10-12km/l.

I don't understand why this system was since replaced with liters/100km, which is nonsense from a practical point of view. Miles per Gallon, then surely Kilometers per litre? We never used gallons per 100 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I don't understand why this system was since replaced with liters/100km, which is nonsense from a practical point of view. Miles per Gallon, then surely Kilometers per litre? We never used gallons per 100 miles!
    Blame the French. It was their idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Blame the French. It was their idea.
    l/100km is a much better system than MPG , if you actually try to understand it and get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Here are some official specs on the 2003 1.6L Meriva:

"10.5/6.2/7.8 l/100km urban/extra-urban/combined"

http://carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=108856&Opel-specifications

Sounds like you'd be in 'urban' territory?

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The (much) better half had a 1.6 Grand Vitara, that got about 300 - 350 to a tank, again around the 50litre mark. She now has a 1.6 Hyundai Coupe and get nearly 400 to a 50ish litre tank. My old 1.8 petrol Mondeo got around the same as the Coupe, My 2.0 Diesel Mondeo get around 550 - 600 (45-48MPg / 6-7L/100KM)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Pete4779 wrote: »
    O/T: my car has it in kilometers per litre in the dash, which is perfect as it's a straight comparison - e.g., fill up 60 litres, and I usually do around 10-12km/l.

Kilometres per litre is uesd in Japan, and I think a few other Asian countries.

Miles per gallon is used here, in the UK and the US(though our gallons and US gallons are different). Everywhere else its litres per 100 km.

Car makers always quote fuel consumption in mpg and l/100km, never km/l.

I don't know what either l/100 km or km/l is,so its mpg for me! I tried to convert from mpg to l/100 km before, but it is simply too awkward, and there is no point in converting to km/l when nobody uses it in Europe.

It would be completely pointless using a system that is not used by anyone in Europe i.e km/l. I very much doubt it that many would use l/100km here either,even cars in km's, though now that cars are in kms for almost 3 years, its inevitable that some people will change over, and we all will eventually.

As for working out mpg in a car with the odometer in km, thats what the trip computer is for, as practically every trip computer equipped car in km can show fuel consumption in mpg.
    All the German and Japanese makes can do it anyway.

Advertisement