Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport controls planned between Ireland and the UK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Thats a pity. Among other things, it would allow us to divorce our immigration policy from the UK; as things stand, with an open border if they allow in half a million immigrants, theres nothing to stop them coming over here. Oh wait, that already happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ulster says no!

I can see this being a problem with some people up North.
    However, I think it's a good thing and will help to stem the flow of illegal immigrants and criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

I have never had the pleasure of travelling without my passport except in America travelling between States... Am black, every bloody person wants to check if I have the right visa and if i am legal.... It sucks as I fly between England, Wales and Scotland very often. Before I get to the desk or gates they say "Can we see your visa madam" not even my passport photograph/main page :mad:
    It's good about the passport controls as it’s needed to reduce the immigrant influx here but I think the EU should have a general identity card just so there would be no need for the long queues and delays that would probably be 2020:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can someone edit the tread title please.

We will NOT need passports to go to the North, kinda hard to flash your passport open on the picture page while through at 100Km/hr :D

Both ourselves and the nordies will need passports to go to the Island of Grate Britain.

We are supposed to be getting some sort of system ourselves, but since the UK of GB and NI will be outside Schengen we will still have to stay outside. UNLESS we try to get the whole Island into Schengen ;) after all you should need a passport to enter possibly even from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Good idea. Should of been implemented years ago on both sides. They wouldn't dare implement a passport policy to go to the North and have no plans to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

No harm in formalising things. The "Common Travel Area" as it now stands is a joke anyway. It basically means that you don't need a passport going between the UK and (Repubic of) Ireland IF you are either an Irish or British citizen.

However, a passport is practically the only way of proving that you're an Irish or British citizen. EU Driving licences just state your place of birth, which is not the same thing at all. So it's catch 22 anyway. Up till now imigration at Dublin airport generally accept an Irish of UK driving licence, but anyone can get one of these.

Aparantly it was never actually legislated for in Ireland either. Typical governments down through the ages - don't bother implementing required legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dub13 wrote: »
    This will not apply to trips into the North as it would be to hard to police.

But if the uk had mad cow disease then it would become completely practical. The only time we secured our borders was for BSE. Also, I haven't seen what is proposed for people driving up north and onto the ferry at Larne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Already being done.

Just back from a round trip Shannon - Heathrow.
    Had to produce passport on entering UK and then again entering Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

biko wrote: »
    Already being done.

With Aer Lingus?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

biko wrote: »
    Already being done.

You had to have some form of photo ID for getting past airport security. You did not have to show your passport for entering the UK though, that just happend to be the form of photo ID that you used at the chekin desk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

daveirl wrote: »
    It is happening ... it isn't happeing ... it is happening ...

The Register

... well nobody really knows whats happening is the only thing we can be sure about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

robinph wrote: »
    You had to have some form of photo ID for getting past airport security. You did not have to show your passport for entering the UK though, that just happend to be the form of photo ID that you used at the chekin desk.
    Ah ok, I just always carry the ol' passport when traveling. Don't wanna risk it with some other form of ID in case I get refused.

@Terry, yeah Aer Lingus, but I heard they're stopping the service to London from the west.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its now official. Irish, UK travellers now need passport checks After 80 years of free movement, Irish and UK nationals will now need to have the passports formally checked at border controls, according to the UK Parliament's new legislation published yesterday, 15th January. You will soon find the UK authorities checking passport control on the Enterprise.

http://www.visabureau.com/uk/news/16-01-2009/irish-uk-travellers-need-passport-checks.aspx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I wounder if we now have to queue up at passport control at Heathrow,Gatwick etc etc..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Its now official. Irish, UK travellers now need passport checks After 80 years of free movement, Irish and UK nationals will now need to have the passports formally checked at border controls, according to the UK Parliament's new legislation published yesterday, 15th January. You will soon find the UK authorities checking passport control on the Enterprise.

http://www.visabureau.com/uk/news/16-01-2009/irish-uk-travellers-need-passport-checks.aspx

That's madness. I got the enterprise up to Belfast last year and a bus back and it was grand....the thought of having to bring your passport for that two hour journey is a bit weird.

Is that not breaking some sort of EU legislation though? Free movement and all that

Mark200 wrote: »
    Is that not breaking some sort of EU legislation though? Free movement and all that
    The EU are the very ones that are behind all these new security measures. IE, "fighting terrorism" :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This one measure I look forwards to.

If it helps even a little to cut down the dole cheats claiming at the same time, in more than one country, its a good thing for this nation at a time when savings have to be made.

Now if there was finger-print I.D. at the dole offices now and then all that info shared into a huge data-base with other social welfare offices in other countries with a same system, to stop dole cheats - it would be great.

I can see RTDH having a heart attack right now as he reads this idea LOL :pac::pac::pac:

I'm off to hide in my bunker before he throws the heaviest copy of "1984" he can find, at me...

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    This one measure I look forwards to.

If it helps even a little to cut down the dole cheats claiming at the same time, in more than one country, its a good thing for this nation at a time when savings have to be made.

Now if there was finger-print I.D. at the dole offices now and then all that info shared into a huge data-base with other social welfare offices in other countries with a same system, to stop dole cheats - it would be great.

I can see RTDH having a heart attack right now as he reads this idea LOL :pac::pac::pac:

I'm off to hide in my bunker before he throws the heaviest copy of "1984" he can find, at me...

It will also curtail dole claimers from travel.

Those on the Dole are only allowed 12 paid annual days out of the country and that includes Saturday.

No more slipping across the border or to the UK to watch your favorite league with out big brother totting up the days. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

robinph wrote: »
    It is happening ... it isn't happeing ... it is happening ...

The Register

... well nobody really knows whats happening is the only thing we can be sure about.
    everthing is not yet cut and dried- because it has been admitted that passport control between the north of ireland and the south would be a nightmare to put in place. the uk wanted also to put a passport control between the the north and the mainland, the EU have told the UK that this would not be legal -back to the drawing board ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I wounder if we now have to queue up at passport control at Heathrow,Gatwick etc etc..?

Suppose we have had to queue up and show our passports/photo id for years entering Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No big deal, i've always brought my Passport anyways.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Suppose we have had to queue up and show our passports/photo id for years entering Dublin.

Yes but what I mean is when a plane lands in Gatwick arriving from Dublin we can/could go through a channel for internal flights.This meant we could avoid the madness that is passport control at these big UK airports,it can take a couple of hours to clear this area at busy times.Maybe now we will have to do this.

Yes but what I mean is when a plane lands in Gatwick arriving from Dublin we can/could go through a channel for internal flights.This meant we could avoid the madness that is passport control at these big UK airports,it can take a couple of hours to clear this area at busy times.Maybe now we will have to do this.
    I can see it being a very quick process and may even be carried out prior to departure at security check in. The Authorities would be more interested in potential terrorists before they board, This information is already shared among EU countries.

Depends how things are set up, Heathrow has always had a seperate ROI section, at worse you would have two Irish flights landing at the same time, Dublin airport you could have several flights at the same time and so Dublin has been a nightmare for me a few times over the years. While it may be new having to o through the procedure in the UK, we have had to go through this for years entering Dublin.

Depends how things are set up, Heathrow has always had a seperate ROI section, at worse you would have two Irish flights landing at the same time, Dublin airport you could have several flights at the same time and so Dublin has been a nightmare for me a few times over the years. While it may be new having to o through the procedure in the UK, we have had to go through this for years entering Dublin.

There is a big difference between the passport control in Dublin and the non separate ROI section at Heathrow.If we are forced to use the normal passport control we could be waiting a long time,which is not goo for lads just going over to the football for the day or anybody making a connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Little America :)

There is a big difference between the passport control in Dublin and the non separate ROI section at Heathrow.If we are forced to use the normal passport control we could be waiting a long time,which is not goo for lads just going over to the football for the day or anybody making a connection.

Depends how things are set up, if they continue to have the seperate ROI section, I can't see it being a case of them having all UK flights and ROI flights going through the same section, they can still seperate the ROI flights, in Dublin no seperate section as things exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

England is a ****ing ****hole anyway. now you need a passport before they let you in to buy their overpriced coffee. big deal i don't understand why anyone would want to go there anymore. It has really gone downhill in the last few years, even before the recession started

they have been working on this police state thing for as long as i remember so this doesnt surprise or worry me anymore. every week there will be a new thing they bring in to make it more like a police state

towel401 wrote: »
    England is a ****ing ****hole anyway. now you need a passport before they let you in to buy their overpriced coffee. big deal i don't understand why anyone would want to go there anymore. It has really gone downhill in the last few years, even before the recession started

they have been working on this police state thing for as long as i remember so this doesnt surprise or worry me anymore. every week there will be a new thing they bring in to make it more like a police state

99p for a pint of beer is not overpriced IMO.Now Ireland on the other hand could be called overpriced.

99p for a pint of beer is not overpriced IMO.Now Ireland on the other hand could be called overpriced.

Ireland, overpriced? never :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dtwhaler

Whatever way they work it ..... I'm certain that yer Irish government will find some way of charging people for it. Any excuse to rip people off !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Lidl's best?

Lidl's best?

No in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ireland, overpriced? never :p;)

Ah, but they are overpaid to compensate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

My boyfriend's a Londoner, I come from Offaly. He came over for New Year's to meet the family and his jaw dropped at how expensive everything was.

RTE News
    Common Travel Area to remain

The British government has climbed down over plans to require travellers from Ireland to show passports.

The measure, contained in the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Bill, would have brought an end to the Common Travel Area between the two islands.

However, the British government suffered a defeat when members of the House of Lords voted last night to remove the clause.

Britain's Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said he would accept the amendments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭JimmyMolloy

Wait a minute. I though that one of the benefits of this EU was that we could travel to eastern europe unhindered. Another lie obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Wait a minute. I though that one of the benefits of this EU was that we could travel to eastern europe unhindered. Another lie obviously

Without a visa yes. You still need to prove who you are.

-Funk

A bit more in depth from the BBC.
    UK shelves Irish passport plan

The government has climbed down over plans to make people show passports when travelling between the UK and the Irish Republic.

There are currently no passport controls for Irish and UK citizens travelling in the Common Travel Area (CTA) between the two countries.

Immigration Minister Phil Woolas had said controls should be in place to tighten security.

But the House of Lords voted to remove the clause from a borders bill.

The Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Bill transfers 4,500 HM Revenue and Customs officers to the UK Borders Agency and introduces a requirement for immigrants to earn British citizenship.

Mr Woolas told MPs at the bill's report stage on Tuesday evening that he was accepting amendments from the Tories and Liberal Democrats to remove the passport clause.

He said the government had "listened and compromised" on the bill overall.

It's clear to me from the discussions that we've had that this clause is not acceptable across the floor of this House

Immigration Minister Phil Woolas
    "However, there can be no compromise on the option of CTA - we either make this necessary change now or we do not," he added.

"We are committed to the policy and will examine the options forward but it's clear to me from the discussions that we've had that this clause is not acceptable across the floor of this House and is not acceptable in the other place."

A Home Office spokesman said the CTA proposals were important in preventing abuse by "third country nationals" of the UK-Irish border.

He said: "By introducing e-Borders to all air and sea routes between these countries, we will be able to check passengers against immigration, crime and terrorism watch-lists and help protect the public from harm.

"We still intend to pursue these changes, necessary to enhance the security of our borders, and we will be looking to bring these proposals back to Parliament at the first possible opportunity."

Shadow immigration minister Damian Green said he was "delighted" that the clause had been removed.

'Undermined'

He said: "Conservatives have argued consistently that the Common Travel Area is useful for the United Kingdom, Ireland and the Channel Islands and that the government was wrong in seeking to abolish it."

East Antrim MP Sammy Wilson said the scheme would have undermined the rights of people living in Northern Ireland.

"In two ways we'd have been treated differently," said the DUP representative.

"We'd have been treated as if we were foreign nationals travelling into GB and we would have been treated less well when it came to the security that was available for people in Northern Ireland."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

its very good news for me,i always spend a month in ireland every year,my wife and me no longer have a passport so it would have ment us paying over £200 to get them.it will also be a big relief to the irish born elderly who ,because they have lived in the UK most of their lives ,have never had a irish passport, and would have had diffiiculty now proving who they are.i believe it could be as many as 10,000,

This is also good news for anybody using the big London airports as it means we can still skip passport control,and those Q's can be huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Maybe this has been asked before, but surely in two adjacent countries like say, Holland and Belgium, it's standard to have a passport free Common Travel Area (CTA). I mean wouldn't it be a nightmare to stop every car and bus on the motorway and check each individual's passport ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

I would have gladly given up the CTA if it then would permit Ireland joining Schengen

jum4 wrote: »
    I would have gladly given up the CTA if it then would permit Ireland joining Schengen

That would be point less as you still need a passport to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

don't understand your point. I'm saying joining Schengen would allow borderless travel to more destinations. Less time spent at airports can only be a good thing.
    Most citizans in the EU carry an ID card which is all you need to fly anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Latchy wrote: »
    I live in UK but have being taking my irish passport with me back and forth to ireland last 20 years , just in case anybody has any doubts .....
    Yup, I'm the same and will continue to do so regardless of this decision.

Dub13...what pub is serving you 99p pints!!?? :eek: Beer is definitely cheaper over here compared to Ireland (and there's far more decent choice too!) but the cheapest pint I've found is £1.50 in Dagenham and not many people want to drink in Dagenham :D Around Cambridge a pint's about £3.50 or so, up to £4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Personally, I would love to see Shengen repealed, because then we could all get our passports stamped!!!:) Hoorah for stamps!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement