Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Akita, Family Pet?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Tripp wrote: »
    I have a Female American Akita and id agree with everything that Discostuy said about the Pros and cons of the breed.

My akita is very loyal & protective of the Family and the House and will never bark unless something is wrong.
    They need so much attention when their pups , you have to train them from day 1 or your in for a tough time with them.

Heres some pics of my Akita

Don't Akita's look so at home in the snow!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Shes 3 and yes they look so at home in the snow, Those snow pics where from the snow "The Big Freeze". She loved chasing snow balls and trying to eat them. Then wondering where the snow ball went when she caught it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tripp wrote: »
    Shes 3 and yes they look so at home in the snow, Those snow pics where from the snow "The Big Freeze". She loved chasing snow balls and trying to eat them. Then wondering where the snow ball went when she caught it!

Might be a sister so :eek: they really are alike

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

What the hell they are the spitting image of each other :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

<link to rescue removed>

I'm raising this thread from the dungeon in the hope that some of the Akita owners are still going to get a notification and ask how Akita ownership is going or went 10 years later.

I've just adopted Zanna on Saturday.

I don't have big dog experience but have read a lot of pros and cons over the previous 3 months before taking the plunge.

She's living with myself, wife, 19 and 17 yr old kids and seems to have slotted right in as if she was always part of the gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

I still have my Akita Millie ten years later :). She’ll be 13 this October. She defies the odds at everything. I was told she wouldn’t live past eight, glad she has!!!
    I was told she’d severe hip dysplasia and by looking at her scans she shouldn’t be even walking but she’s a fighter and flies around the place when excited but does love her sleep too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My guy only made it to about 6 years, took a fit and never recovered

He was calm around strangers and small dogs, great with kids. Not good with other large male dogs at all. Broke a lot of stuff around the house, including a door (long story). Very confident and curious, he'd would go out wandering if a gate was left open, did it twice and caused panic.

Great dog, miss him a lot.

One thing I found invaluable was a harness that clipped the lead at the chest so he couldnt pull on the on the lead, I got him at six months and he had very little lead training so I only had a short window to get him flying straight before his would have made him unmanageable

That said i was standing talking to another dog owner once, not paying attention, he saw a dog he knew coming up behind us and decided to charge towards it, caught me totally unawares and I was flipped 360 over onto my back. I would have been about 13 stone at the time....big strong dogs

Advertisement