Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overkill UK Police?!

Options
  • 08-07-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey,

Im sure all of you's have been reading the story about this massive police manhunt for Raoul Moat.

Having read some of the latest developments and checking out the images i couldnt believe hardware on display of the UK police force (check out attachements)

Is it just me or is this overkill?!

Images are Sourced from BBC Newswebsite

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

They are chasing a gunmen you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's hardly overkill.. you wouldn't expect the police to go looking for an armed looney, wearing luminous jackets & carrying nothing more dangerous than a baton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No, its deliberate tactics.
    Psychological tactics being used on the man pressure-wise for him to turn himself in.
    They are simply and visibly trying to turn up the pressure on him to do so.

They could have also brought in the SAS in quietly but to announce that they are doing it, they do so WITH reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The first pic looks like standard procedure to me...certainly if I was the guy having to open the boots I'd be glad to have the other guy ready

the second is a bit OTT alright...I imagine its a bit of exciting work for a few days for a lot of these coppers

I play too much Halo... Thread title failed to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

God help anybody if the MET are there

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

True, i somehow doubt holding a fully automatic machine gun to what looks like a pensioners head is necessary!?

Further more in the other picture there are at least 2 guys with huge sniper rifles which is of no use close quarters...

Im from the north and i can remember when there was a real terrorist threat, it was no were near as bad as that.

It's hardly overkill.. you wouldn't expect the police to go looking for an armed looney, wearing luminous jackets & carrying nothing more dangerous than a baton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

With neon flashing sign hanging over come get me here i am :D dont forget the bulls eyes painted on them :p

It is good to see they are doing it right,that guy is a danger to everyone so long as he is out running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The guy has waged war on the police, already shot and killed someone he thought was a cop and shot another cop intending to kill him... No its not over kill one bit. If that team of armed police in the second picture happen to come accross him Moat can still pick off one of them (which is one too many). The more armed police the better, Means there is more of a chance of catching him.

The reason theyre all in a group is because they are probably going to split up further down the line.

He has already stated he has no intrest in the public, just the police

caseyann wrote: »
    With neon flashing sign hanging over come get me here i am :D dont forget the bulls eyes painted on them :p

It is good to see they are doing it right,that guy is a danger to everyone so long as he is out running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Brady wrote: »
    True, i somehow doubt holding a fully automatic machine gun to what looks like a pensioners head is necessary!?

its pointing at the boot of the car i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

What about the 20 amoured jeeps sent over from northern ireland? I think he is secretly the predator!

Prob right... but it does look quite funny :eek:
    Riskymove wrote: »
    its pointing at the boot of the car i think!

lol
    God help anybody if the MET are there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Im from the north and i can remember when there was a real terrorist threat, it was no were near as bad as that.

Modern UK policing is more about news coverage and the blame game than policing

Ever hear of hijacking a car or holding hostages,you are going take the word of a crazed gun man :eek:

Im not taking anyones word, i dont really have a massive intrest on the outcome of this, i just think it looks like the Poilce have watched a few eps of the wire and are loving the harware.. fair play, looks pretty awesome.

Ever hear of hijacking a car or holding hostages,you are going take the word of a crazed gun man :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Modern UK policing is more about news coverage and the blame game than policing

lol... And where do you get this idea? From watching Sky News is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yer calling this overkill after what happened in Cumbria not too long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Nice cop issue motors too..bmw X5'S 535's..fond of their beemers. Our boys must be crying on the dashboard of the tri aerial d reg mondeos

• Advertisement

Im not taking anyones word, i dont really have a massive intrest on the outcome of this, i just think it looks like the Poilce have watched a few eps of the wire and are loving the harware.. fair play and all that.

Been honest prevention is better than cure,and coming back after say he has shot somebody else or hijacked a car,whole country in up roar.And police saying we should have done this or that.I think i would go with what they are doing.
    If this guy was roaming streets in Ireland i would be one pissed off woman,if we had our gardai out with batons doing road stops and boot checks and walking through fields etc..

Fair point.
    Yer calling this overkill after what happened in Cumbria not too long ago?

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Nice cop issue motors too..bmw X5'S 535's..fond of their beemers. Our boys must be crying on the dashboard of the tri aerial d reg mondeos

lol i know :D their cars are naff :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Hogzy wrote: »
    The guy has waged war on the police...

It's Rambo first blood all over again, the legend continues !

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

The 2nd one is amateurish tbh, they are not in a spread out formation - one spray of a machine gun and they all bite it. Which makes me think it is a photo op more than actual tactics being deployed.

This is kind of where im going with this...

Nevertheless, it would be pretty sweet to be tooled up with that gear for your job.
    The 2nd one is amateurish tbh, they are not in a spread out formation - one spray of a machine gun and they all bite it. Which makes me think it is a photo op more than actual tactics being deployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

yeah, or anyone he incorrectly assumes to be the police, like the guy he killed? do you really think the police would say "hey lads, he says he's only gonna shoot at us, not the public, leave the guns in the station"

i hope the person that catches this prick happens to use a knife rather than a gun on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Does that make it ok??

Not an ounce of overkill IMo, he could easily be hiding anywhere and have somebody helping him get around, its a routine stop in this situation.

If the cops had opened the boot and he had shot one of them people would have being wondering why the procedures werent followed for any car or vehicle, regardless of the occupants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Please...! Its cops - not a hardened battle drilled military squad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

jsd1004 wrote: »

our emergency response unit gets these vehicles, all suped up to fcuk, all bullet-proof. they are totally unneccesary for our lads' other units.

Advertisement