Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What evidence of Gerry Adams' IRA membership do people need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

alias no.9 wrote: »
    So you're saying she's lying then?

About a SF cover-up? It's possible...too early to say definitively.

P.s. it is also possible SF and GA are lying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Happyman42 wrote: »
    No Godge, calm down. I said I don't as yet accept her testimony. I need to see the irrefutable evidence she says she has about a SF cover-up.
    That is all SF are answerable for here.

So which is it?

(1) She is a liar.
    (2) She is probably a liar.

If you are saying it is not the first one, it must be the second one if you say you believe Gerry Adams.

So I can correct my statement to Happyman is saying she is a probable liar.
    Esel wrote: »
    A bit late to the thread, but anyway... post #1000:

Just on the current topic:

I watched the BBC program, but was a bit distracted during the part where it said that she withdrew her evidence (and therefore the trial collapsed) when she learned that a particular person was going to give evidence for the defence. Can anyone elaborate on that?

Kangaroo etc. notwithstanding - it is a basic precept of justice that the accused is entitled to be confronted by their accuser. I doubt, however, that this was adhered to in every/most/even some IRA 'courts'.

Let us not forget who ran the Internal Security department for many years - John Joe and Scap. Punch and Judy. Enough said.

I would think it very likely that there are contemporaneous notes, and recordings, in existence of this and other 'trials' or 'enquiries'. There are probably copies too - some in dumps, others in the catalogued basement storage area of some apparently innocuous building offshore.

One does not have to eat the pudding to know what it tastes like.

The gentlemen will now retire to the smoking room, while the ladies are free to powder their noses.

Q: Does your dog bite?
    A: No.
    Q: Ouch! I thought you said your dog didn't bite?
    A: That is not my dog.

Case closed.

There was a detailed interview with her on Today FM's The Last Word the other night that covered all this ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭alias no.9

About a SF cover-up? It's possible...too early to say definitively.

P.s. it is also possible SF and GA are lying too.

Too early to say she's lying, then it's equally too early to accuse her of being politically motivated in her actions, is it not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Too early to say she's lying, then it's equally too early to accuse her of being politically motivated in her actions, is it not?
    So you agree it is pointless commenting on this entire case as nothing has been proven anywhere.
    Why did this take so long...

Absolutely, that is why - said 'she might be'.
    I have no doubt that the various party leaders are politically motivated, given their lack of concern about the primary unresolved issue...a rape.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So you agree it is pointless commenting on this entire case as nothing has been proven anywhere.
    Why did this take so long...

No, one can have an opinion that Gerry Adams is lying, equally one can have an opinion that Mairia Cahill is lying.

What is difficult to understand is that some people can say in every other word possible that they don't believe Mairia Cahill yet they cannot bring themselves to say that she is a liar. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

why is it when people tell you they dont believe she is lying about the rape, that you insist that people either believe everything single thing she says, or nothing? Thats a bit over simplistic and a tad bit naive imo.

Godge wrote: »
    No, one can have an opinion that Gerry Adams is lying, equally one can have an opinion that Mairia Cahill is lying.

What is difficult to understand is that some people can say in every other word possible that they don't believe Mairia Cahill yet they cannot bring themselves to say that she is a liar. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

With time and memory both could be wrong in details!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I have no doubt that the various party leaders are politically motivated, given their lack of concern about the primary unresolved issue...a rape.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1022/653977-mairia-cahill/

"Ms Cahill said the Taoiseach had handled the meeting sensitively.

She thanked him for his compassion and his concern about helping other victims.

She said his main concern was for her and how she was doing rather than using the story as a political issue."

Nice to see one politician showing concern for the victim.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1022/653977-mairia-cahill/

"Ms Cahill said the Taoiseach had handled the meeting sensitively.

She thanked him for his compassion and his concern about helping other victims.

She said his main concern was for her and how she was doing rather than using the story as a political issue."

Nice to see one politician showing concern for the victim.
    “She overcame the horror of being raped, to face down the IRA and its generals, secret or otherwise,’’ he added.

Enda can't help himself politicising it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Enda can't help himself politicising it. :rolleyes:
    Hard to avoid when some of the 'generals' are now politicians.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Hard to avoid when some of the 'generals' are now politicians.

Who, in Dail Eireann was a 'general' of the IRA?

Who, in Dail Eireann was a 'general' of the IRA?
    I'm not au fait with the intricacies of the command structure but its generally accepted that Gerry Adams was a senior IRA member.

Also Martin McGuinness in the Assembly.

Gossip wins once again.
    I'm not au fait with the intricacies of the command structure but its generally accepted that Gerry Adams was a senior IRA member.

Also Martin McGuinness in the Assembly.

Was Gerry Adams a general of the IRA?

Was Gerry Adams a general of the IRA?

Think he only made the Army Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

If it's politically motivated, wouldn't it be better to have done it closer to an election?

Think he only made the Army Council.

According to "A Secret History of the IRA" by Ed Moloney, Gerry was made Chief of staff in 1977 and loses the rank in 1978.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    According to "A Secret History of the IRA" by Ed Moloney, Gerry was made Chief of staff in 1977 and loses the rank in 1978.

This the same Ed Moloney as Ed Moloney of the 'Boston Tapes'? Another discredited and now forgotten attempt to get Adams.

• Advertisement

This the same Ed Moloney as Ed Moloney of the 'Boston Tapes'? Another discredited and now forgotten attempt to get Adams.

Does that mean he is wrong?

Does that mean he is wrong?

Very possibly, more unsubstantiated allegations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

For the last h4e WAS IN NA FIANNA EIREANN NOT THE IRA. Fianna Eireann is like the IRA this is were all the confusion is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,497 ✭✭✭✭Esel

For the last h4e WAS IN NA FIANNA EIREANN NOT THE IRA. Fianna Eireann is like the IRA this is were all the confusion is coming from.
    So he was effectively only ever in the scouts then? Thanks for clearing that up.

Not your ornery onager

You don't believe what many consider is common knowledge about Gerry because there's no proof? Correct?

/QUOTE]
    Still waiting on an answer Maccored.

I dont believe Adams was in the ira because 1) I dont care 2) No really, I dont care if he was or wasnt 3) OK if you insist - he doesnt have any reason to lie about ira membership. Personally I thiink he's playing a very pedantic card .. as in maybe he wasnt sworn in officially as an IRA member but he may well have been doing things ira members do, but I dont care if he was or not anyway so that doesnt matter to me.
    You don't believe what many consider is common knowledge about Gerry because there's no proof? Correct?

/QUOTE]
    Still waiting on an answer Maccored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,497 ✭✭✭✭Esel

maccored wrote: »
    I dont believe Adams was in the ira because 1) I dont care 2) No really, I dont care if he was or wasnt 3) OK if you insist - he doesnt have any reason to lie about ira membership. Personally I thiink he's playing a very pedantic card .. as in maybe he wasnt sworn in officially as an IRA member but he may well have been doing things ira members do, but I dont care if he was or not anyway so that doesnt matter to me.

So, you reasons are:

1. La la la la la I can't hear you.

2. La la la la la I'm not listening.

3. OK if you insist - la la la la la I still can't hear you.

On #3: Mental reservation might apply to Gerry's stance. It would be relatively easy to convince oneself (for self-preservation) that having been a member of the pre-1970 IRA does not actually equate to being a member of the post-1969 'new' IRA, especially if one can convince oneself that the pre-1970 'IRA' was on the wrong path and therefore not entitled to the title. So, sworn in pre-1970: not a member (more a pretender).

Do people actually think that all pre-1970 members who changed their allegiance to the post-1969 army were sworn in again? If not, were these people ever actually 'members' of the new army? Even if oaths were retaken, if one was in a large group 'taking' an oath en masse, and one did not actually say all the words (mouthing does not equal saying), one could conceivably claim that one never actually took the oath.

As de Valera said, an oath can be regarded as an empty formula / form of words.

Sure, it might be a 'technicality', but one only has to 'believe' in the new 'truth' to be able to pass the lie-detector test. The more times one takes the test, the more entrenched the 'belief' becomes, and the less the graph moves. Eventually, it stays relatively flat.

As politicians often say when called out on an apparent lie: "That was not the question I was asked".

tl/dr (a) Never admit, especially if a term in jail could result.

tl/dr (b) Deny, as above.

tl/dr (c) La la la la la, next question.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

On a lighter note is anybody dressing up as Gerry Adams for Hallowe'en?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.
    Malcolm X

I can see your point. Even up till yesterday I find it amazing that up to yesterday enda would not meet with survivors or clerical abuse or the church and yet will meet with the IRA victim

What's he got to gain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭baldbear

Gerry is finished. Did the IRA move abusers south of the border and did Maria Cahill face her abuser in an interview with the IRA?

For the future of the party he must go. I have no respect for Enda Kenny's political point scoring.

I can see your point. Even up till yesterday I find it amazing that up to yesterday enda would not meet with survivors or clerical abuse or the church and yet will meet with the IRA victim

What's he got to gain?
    Enda Kenny has met with many victims of clerical sexual abuse.

• Advertisement

Enda Kenny has met with many victims of clerical sexual abuse.

Has the sensitive compassionate man met Louise O'Keefe yet?
    Maria Cahill seems to have jumped the queue.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/enda-kenny-confirms-commitment-to-meet-louise-o-keeffe-1.1954625
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny has confirmed his commitment to meeting with child sex abuse survivor Louise O’Keeffe after she challenged him to meet her to discuss the Government’s delay in enacting child protection legislation in primary schools.
    Mr Kenny said that, together with the Minister for Education Jan O’Sullivan, he plans to meet with Ms O’Keeffe shortly to discuss the Government’s approach to dealing with child protection on foot of the European Court of Human Rights judgement which found in favour of Ms O’Keeffe.
    Last January, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that Ireland had failed to meet its obligation to protect Ms O’Keeffe from abuse by school principal Leo Hickey while she was a pupil at Dunderrow National School in West Cork in the early 1970s.
    In July, the Department of Education issued details of an action plan to address the issues raised by the European Court of Human Rights in its judgement, but Ms O’Keeffe said the action plan amounted to nothing more than a restatement of Ireland’s defence in the case.
    She emailed Mr Kenny on August 2nd, extending an invitation to both him and Ms O’Sullivan to meet with herself, and other survivors of child sexual abuse in day schools, to put in place child protection measures to meet the requirements of the European Court of Human Rights ruling.
    Ms O’Keeffe gave Mr Kenny two months to respond to her invite and when Mr Kenny was asked about it recently by The Irish Times, he said he would “be happy to meet” and a date for the meeting “was not too far distant”, though he could not talk to her about matters still before the courts.
    Ms O’Keeffe told The Irish Times that she raised the issue with Tánaiste Joan Burton at Network Ireland’s national conference on September 26th and, later that day, she received an email from the Taoiseach’s private secretary confirming his willingness to meet her.
    “I would be inclined to think that Joan Burton had a word with the Taoiseach – the email coming the same day was too much of a coincidence – it confirmed that the Taoiseach would meet me, but not the other victims of child sex abuse in day schools because they had cases still pending,” she said.
    Ms O’Keeffe said she was disappointed that Mr Kenny was unwilling to meet other victims of child sexual abuse, but that she was happy to go ahead and meet him and other ministers, even though she still felt that child protection was not a priority for this government.
    “I don’t think they see it as a priority – it’s eight months on from the ruling in my case and we have had nothing – yet within five weeks of the Supreme Court ruling they were writing to other survivors to try and intimidate them into dropping their cases so they can move with speed when they want to.
    “I don’t know what the Taoiseach is going to say to me, I certainly hope he’s not going to say the same as we have heard before because I’ve been listening to it in the High Court, the Supreme Court and in Europe and there’s been no change in that so something new has to come.
    “I’m harping back to the same thing all the time, particularly since Europe did find the state was responsible for the protection of children in national schools and what they put forward in July to the European Court of Human Rights was what we have been listening to in the courts for 15 years.”

no, my reason is I dont really give a toss if he was in the IRA or not. Would you prefer I lied to you or something?
    Esel wrote: »
    So, you reasons are:

1. La la la la la I can't hear you.

2. La la la la la I'm not listening.

3. OK if you insist - la la la la la I still can't hear you.

On #3: Mental reservation might apply to Gerry's stance. It would be relatively easy to convince oneself (for self-preservation) that having been a member of the pre-1970 IRA does not actually equate to being a member of the post-1969 'new' IRA, especially if one can convince oneself that the pre-1970 'IRA' was on the wrong path and therefore not entitled to the title. So, sworn in pre-1970: not a member (more a pretender).

Do people actually think that all pre-1970 members who changed their allegiance to the post-1969 army were sworn in again? If not, were these people ever actually 'members' of the new army? Even if oaths were retaken, if one was in a large group 'taking' an oath en masse, and one did not actually say all the words (mouthing does not equal saying), one could conceivably claim that one never actually took the oath.

As de Valera said, an oath can be regarded as an empty formula / form of words.

Sure, it might be a 'technicality', but one only has to 'believe' in the new 'truth' to be able to pass the lie-detector test. The more times one takes the test, the more entrenched the 'belief' becomes, and the less the graph moves. Eventually, it stays relatively flat.

As politicians often say when called out on an apparent lie: "That was not the question I was asked".

tl/dr (a) Never admit, especially if a term in jail could result.

tl/dr (b) Deny, as above.

tl/dr (c) La la la la la, next question.

Johngoose wrote: »
    On a lighter note is anybody dressing up as Gerry Adams for Hallowe'en?

No, don't want to scare the kids.

No, don't want to scare the kids.

Your logic and mistruths are scaring sensible adults Godge. :rolleyes:

Ah now. That's below the belt. We leave that to Republicans!!

Do you have proof of this? Where are the adults that have been scared? If you find them, can you prove that they are sensible? Prove that I am telling mistruths. Prove that Gerry Adams is not a member of the IRA. His own word isn't good enough, you need other proof, some evidence, where is it?

Do you have proof of this? Where are the adults that have been scared? If you find them, can you prove that they are sensible? Prove that I am telling mistruths. Prove that Gerry Adams is not a member of the IRA. His own word isn't good enough, you need other proof, some evidence, where is it?
    Lost the plot. And yes, we have the proof right here in your post.

Lost the plot. And yes, we have the proof right here in your post.
    'Maria Cahill, How She Drove Me Over The Edge Of Reason' by Godge, foreword by An Taoiseach, Gerry Adams'.

'Maria Cahill, How She Drove Me Over The Edge Of Reason' by Godge, foreword by An Taoiseach, Gerry Adams'.

you must be writing fiction under the psuedonym Godge, well done, have you got a publisher yet?

you must be writing fiction under the psuedonym Godge, well done, have you got a publisher yet?

Nah, the publisher said that Godge fella was better at fantasy fiction.

• Advertisement

“IRA actions did fail victims of abuse. As Uachtaráin of Sinn Féin, I have acknowledged that. I am sorry for that. I apologise for that.”

Why is Adam's apologising for IRA actions when he was never a member?

“IRA actions did fail victims of abuse. As Uachtaráin of Sinn Féin, I have acknowledged that. I am sorry for that. I apologise for that.”

Makes you wonder why Cahill wanted to meet him so much when we keep being told that she hated the IRA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Not the first time. Strange that the man feels he can apologise for something he claims no culpability for.

Makes you wonder why Cahill wanted to meet him so much when we keep being told that she hated the IRA...

Maybe it's something to do with her not ever saying she hated the IRA? She clearly was a supporter of the IRA, and came from an IRA family.

alastair wrote: »
    Maybe it's something to do with her not ever saying she hated the IRA? She clearly was a supporter of the IRA, and came from an IRA family.

She says that it was her feeling at the time, that the IRA re-traumatised her and that she was very aware of being intimidated but yet she was meeting former members of the IRA in 2005 to talk about it.
    It at least warrants questioning by any 'journalist' who considers themselves independent and non-partisan.

She says that it was her feeling at the time, that the IRA re-traumatised her and that she was very aware of being intimidated but yet she was meeting former members of the IRA in 2005 to talk about it.
    It at least warrants questioning by any 'journalist' who considers themselves independent and non-partisan.

I'm at a loss to see how any of this demonstrates a supposed hatred for the IRA, who she continued to support, or why any journalist (no need for scare quotes) would fail to understand that she had a specific issue with the IRA's handling of this particular matter, which didn't extend to the entirety of the IRA's role/raison d'être, as far as she was concerned.

I'm at a loss to see how any of this demonstrates a supposed hatred for the IRA, who she continued to support, or why any journalist (no need for scare quotes) would fail to understand that she had a specific issue with the IRA's handling of this particular matter, which didn't extend to the entirety of the IRA's role/raison d'être, as far as she was concerned.

Try this then,
    'I was intimidated and traumatised by a spider, so I turned to a spider talk about it and seek help'.
    I am saying that it at least warrants questioning on, and we haven't heard that question asked by people who call themselves 'journalists'. A prerequisite of being a journalist being...open mindedness and impartiality, in my book anyhow,

Try this then,
    'I was intimidated and traumatised by a spider, so I turned to a spider talk about it and seek help'.
    I am saying that it at least warrants questioning on, and we haven't heard that question asked by people who call themselves 'journalists'. A prerequisite of being a journalist being...open mindedness and impartiality, in my book anyhow,

Spiders don't have the benefit of rationality, or self-awareness. Try this on for size:
    'I was intimidated and traumatised by a Corkonian, so I turned to other Corkonians to talk about it and seek help."

Any cognitive dissonance evident there?

Nope - not for me either.

Journalists are well able to apply the same basic reasoning to her scenario. There's no great mystery in her being able to distinguish one Provo from another.

Spiders don't have the benefit of rationality, or self-awareness. Try this on for size:
    'I was intimidated and traumatised by a Corkonian, so I turned to other Corkonians to talk about it and seek help."

Any cognitive dissonance evident there?

Nope - not for me either.

Journalists are well able to apply the same basic reasoning to her scenario. There's no great mystery in her being able to distinguish one Provo from another.

But for the fact that our journalist class are very much making it the responsibility of the IRA as a movement and SF as an organisation.

• Advertisement

But for the fact that our journalist class are very much making it the responsibility of the IRA as a movement and SF as an organisation.

Given that they were the organisations involved, and made their own decisions, it's hard to see how else you would read it.

Advertisement