Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Recruitment Campaign - November 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭munsterrugby09

Go to the GRA website and they have the current one on that. Roughly starts a 23k a year to 43k in increments over 19 years.

Is the 23k a year take home pay or gross? your money would rise with allowances aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Achilies

fitzytour wrote: »
    I cannot swim and I am just wondering will this be a hindrance if I make it through to the final stages? I was thinking of getting swimming lessons if needs be.

There is no requisite to be able to swim, however they do swimming down in Templemore and apparently there is two classes one for weak swimmers and one for stronger ones, so it would probably be no harm in getting lessons, its a life skill and you never know when you might need to be able to swim.
    Is the 23k a year take home pay or gross? your money would rise with allowances aswell.
    Its gross so you would be looking at a bit above 20,000 after tax, but it will rise slightly with allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭munsterrugby09

Achilies wrote: »
    There is no requisite to be able to swim, however they do swimming down in Templemore and apparently there is two classes one for weak swimmers and one for stronger ones, so it would probably be no harm in getting lessons, its a life skill and you never know when you might need to be able to swim.

Its gross so you would be looking at a bit above 20,000 after tax, but it will rise slightly with allowances.

Thanks - does it go up every year then and by how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzytour

In relation to the initial application form online through publicjobs.ie, how do they filter out people to invite to take assessments in stage 1? Or does everyone who applies get through to stage 1? There are no questions in relation to work experience, education etc. in the application form so I am just wondering how they pick people to go forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublingarda

On the application forms it asks are u an attested Garda Reserve.

Then it says if not would u like to be put forward for it.

I am not an active reserve. I did the interview, report writing and met Sargent but the selection was put on hold for the full time recruit.

What done you think I should select?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Achilies

Thanks - does it go up every year then and by how much?

I can't seem to find any up to date pay scales we just know it starts at 23k and ends at 45k after 19 years, I would presume once your in, you will be given the list of the increments. But guessing it goes up roughly a 1000 a year.

In regards to stage 1, everyone is given the opportunity to do them and they cut a lot of people out that way. Your degrees and volunteering work doesn't come into play until the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Here is the latest payscale everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

with the economy improving the wages/allowances will have be bumped up imo,

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

fitzytour wrote: »
    In relation to the initial application form online through publicjobs.ie, how do they filter out people to invite to take assessments in stage 1? Or does everyone who applies get through to stage 1? There are no questions in relation to work experience, education etc. in the application form so I am just wondering how they pick people to go forward.

Anyone can apply for the campaign as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.
    After they apply and the campaign closes they are then sent the aptitude test to complete online. After that if the pass marks are obtained then it goes to supervised test centres and on to interview. At each stage a certain mark must be achieved, if you don't get the marks your knocked out. Work experience, volunteering and skill sets won't be an issue until the interview so for now I'd focus on the aptitude tests. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

23,171 before PAYE, PRSI, USC, Pension Contribution as well as your Medical Aid (if you subscribe) GRA Sub (if you subscribe), District Social Fund (if you subscribe) and Benevolent Fund (if you subscribe). but they are the general deductions for a new joiner

your allowances do not include Rent allowance. you may add about 5k a year in allowances (according to the Minister for Justice on Dail record)

realistically speaking, you will get 330 a week with an extra 200 a month in allowances - roughly 1500 a month into your pocket

with the FEMPI legislation being enacted and with the GRA rejecting Lansdowne agreement, all increments are being frozen for Gardaí. You may be stuck in 23,171euro for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

You just apply as normal, you are not a reserve yet. I am further on in the reserves going into training but I am not a reserve yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

EveAlex wrote:
    23,171 before PAYE, PRSI, USC, Pension Contribution as well as your Medical Aid (if you subscribe) GRA Sub (if you subscribe), District Social Fund (if you subscribe) and Benevolent Fund (if you subscribe). but they are the general deductions for a new joiner

Can I ask EveAlex..where there many in your phase who were having second thoughts about signing up when the pay became a reality ?

rocky911 wrote: »
    Can I ask EveAlex..where there many in your phase who were having second thoughts about signing up when the pay became a reality ?

the pay didnt become a reality until everyone started actually earning it!

so i hope people see the reality of it now rather than it being speculation like it was for the newbies

Is the big cheque really only worth the 300?. I guess the rent allowance is a huge loss but always thought the allowances for lates, nights and working 7/10 weekends would bump it more?

Is the big cheque really only worth the 300?. I guess the rent allowance is a huge loss but always thought the allowances for lates, nights and working 7/10 weekends would bump it more?

thats all its worth

Christ...Rapheals and Pauks must 've getting good business

Christ...Rapheals and Pauks must 've getting good business

they got many students trooping in while in the college. 184 a week doesnt go far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

EveAlex wrote: »

your allowances do not include Rent allowance. you may add about 5k a year in allowances (according to the Minister for Justice on Dail record)

realistically speaking, you will get 330 a week with an extra 200 a month in allowances - roughly 1500 a month into your pocket

with the FEMPI legislation being enacted and with the GRA rejecting Lansdowne agreement, all increments are being frozen for Gardaí. You may be stuck in 23,171euro for a while

Don't forget many will have to pay rent depending on where they have been stationed and also I'd imagine most would need a car for the long commutes:eek: Add those in and you'd be really struggling to get by.

Is it fair to say this is the worst pay Garda recruits have ever recieved or is this pretty normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

carzony wrote: »
    I'd imagine most would need a car for the long commutes:eek: Add those in and you'd be really struggling to get by.
    What I want to know is that at any stage will we be asked if we have a full driving licence? Is there any Garda recruits who don't know how to drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

As a Reserve with 3 years service behind me I have a couple of queries:

1. On the Garda Reserve Verification form, is there a way of finding out how many hours we have done for our previous years claims (stupid enough not to take a note myself)?

2. Is there an allowance for having a Masters?

3. Do reserves get the option of going back to their current stations if they become full time members?

• Advertisement

Also are there any courses you can do to prepare for the questionairre part of the assessment? I passed the numerical and literary tests for both the Garda and Civil Service campaigns but failed on the last part on both occasions!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

The best tip anyone could give you for the questionaire is to put yourself in the boots of a garda when answering the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

1. On the Garda Reserve Verification form, is there a way of finding out how many hours we have done for our previous years claims (stupid enough not to take a note myself)?
    Answer: Check with your liasion Cig , he or she will have a copy in their files

Answer: Dont know

3. Do reserves get the option of going back to their current stations if they become full time members?
    Answer: Hasnt happened in the past but may be possible

1. district office. ring

2. No. Only a degree in which case you skip 3 increments once you have completed your 2 year probation

3. theres a chance but a slim one

Thanks EveAlex much obliged!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I applied today, hope I did it correctly. It didn't ask for any CV or any background info at all, is that correct? It only asked for name, address, DOB, phone number and a few questions on the reserve that didn't apply to me. Sign your name and date it. Was that really it? Will they cut numbers from that or will everyone that applied go through to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

azure wrote: »
    What I want to know is that at any stage will we be asked if we have a full driving licence? Is there any Garda recruits who don't know how to drive?

there are lots of gardai who don't know how to drive. there are others who don't have a full licence :pac:

it's not an issue. new recruit on my unit doesn't drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Here is the latest payscale everyone.

the pay is not great especially with the rent allowance cut but hopefully that will be restored.

you can add roughly 25% to the gross pay to give you a better idea of salary p.a. i worked this out methodically for my mortgage application years ago. this is for your allowances covering nights Saturday Sunday and bank holidays. the rate per hour or day is a percentage of gross pay so it increases as your salary does.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

wilmet wrote:
    Well spotted. Gives hope to all who didn't get through last campaign. Time to get into practice with the aptitude tests. Also noted that the Minister indicated that 600 garda would be recruited on an ongoing basis each year to keep up with the demands of the force. Very positive news I believe.

Those who didnt get recruited last time should not be allowed to apply for the next time. There is a reason those guys didnt get the job. Its only clogging up the next process with substandard applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Puibo wrote: »
    Those who didnt get recruited last time should not be allowed to apply for the next time. There is a reason those guys didnt get the job. Its only clogging up the next process with substandard applicants.

I wouldn't agree, some applicants may not have got through for various reasons, not necessarily for being substandard.

For example, a person may perform poorly at interview stage due to nerves etc. This person may in fact be one of the best people out on the job

Advertisement