Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solicitor quits over 'corruption in judiciary'

• 18-04-2011 3:22pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/solicitor-quits-over-corruption-in-judiciary-501779.html
    A solicitor announced in court today that he has finished practising law claiming there was “corruption” in the judiciary.

Solicitor Martin Coen had been vacating a hearing date for a client at the Dublin District Court, in the Criminal Courts of Justice complex in the city centre. He then made a declaration that he would not continue to work as a solicitor.

He told presiding Judge Hugh O'Donnell that: “From this day forwards I am no longer practising as a solicitor.”

He claimed that this was “because of judicial corruption within the system particularly in Blanchardstown District Court.”

After the case Mr Coen, whose Dublin city centre firm have practised law since 2004, confirmed to reporters that he had resigned. “I do not want to go into details but I am finishing my practice,” he said.

“I will let matters speak for themselves and I will leave it at that,” he said, declining to comment further.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/solicitor-quits-over-corruption-in-judiciary-501779.html#ixzz1Jsu6UqcB

Whats up with that?

Seems extraordinary!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Seems like the type of thing that if you allege, you must be prepared to back up and pursue. If he is correct then he'd better do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭DUB777

Seems like the type of thing that if you allege, you must be prepared to back up and pursue. If he is correct then he'd better do so.

"IF" he's correct???
    This country is corrupt to the core. None of the 'white collar' b@5ards have been locked up. Very few 'blue collar' b@5ards have been locked up. This country is based on one rule for Peter & another rule for Paul. Its unadulterated bu11s#1t. Fair play to him for taking a stand and walking out, not the best of times to be dropping your career but he obviously believes he is right in doing what he has done. The whole system needs a shake down from top to bottom. Our legislation is from biblical times. The cave men of the stone age probably had a better system than this ridiculous system, they need to pull their heads out of the clouds and start moving with the times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its a big statement to make and one would hope he has something to back it up.

I doubt he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Can he not now be hauled before a judge for contempt of court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Probably scandalising the court, but I think that's just a species of contempt. I agree that if you make big statments like that then you need to back them up. Just quitting proves nothing. If he does have evidence of corruption then I'd say he has a moral duty to put it into the public domain.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »

I doubt he has.

Maybe your doubt is right, maybe not time will tell. & the system is a farce. It is rotten to the core, politicians, bankers, developers. The vast majority of the 'governing' body/ies is/are rotten corrupt and disfunctional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Ireland is indeed full of corruption but this sounds to me more like a young solicitor (?- his practice begun in 2004) who lost his head for a split second in some tete au tete with the District Court judge.

RATM wrote: »
    Ireland is indeed full of corruption but this sounds to me more like a young solicitor (?- his practice begun in 2004) who lost his head for a split second in some tete au tete with the District Court judge.

Or he had enough of the extreme level of corruption with in the system and decided he no longer wanted to be part of it. The sooner people open their eyes and pay attention to the levels of corruption that go on in this country, the sooner it can be rectified. A vast majority of the nation are too naive to accept what goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Certainly Dub777 there is corruption. But I don't reckon it exists in the judiciary and there has been no evidence I'm aware of to suggest otherwise. Are you saying that some of our judges are corrupt ? Or do you just mean 'the system' in general ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

He who smelt it, dealt it!

• Advertisement

Certainly Dub777 there is corruption. But I don't reckon it exists in the judiciary and there has been no evidence I'm aware of to suggest otherwise. Are you saying that some of our judges are corrupt ? Or do you just mean 'the system' in general ?

The whole shibang is rotten from top down.

DUB777 wrote: »
    The whole shibang is rotten from top down.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Got any proof to back up your sensationalist nonsense?

Sensationalist nonsense???
    Have we forgotten about a Big Ignorant Fat F#~ker from Offaly??? And his rounds of golf with the man who has Anglo Irish bank fisting everyone in this nation in the @55??? Or what about that incompetent predecessor Taoiseach before the BIFFO, bertie 'the b0110x' ahern with his " i never knew i needed to open a bank account" or what about his " Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something" The only f#~kin thing that b0110x changed was the bank balance in his wife's name. {SNIP - DEFAMATORY MATERIAL} Or the the mahon tribunal regarding a majority of police involved in corruption in donegal, pointing the finger at anyone just to bury a case. Read the papers, wake the f~#k up and pull your head out of the sand! " sesationalist nonsense":confused:

What about the pr1cks bating people down at the shell to sea site? There is plenty of footage online of excessive force being used on what initially was a peaceful protest. Or back to good auld garda sargent[a sargent] finbarr hickey & his cannabis factory 77 plants at various stages of growth from vegging to flowering to plants drying in a shed out his back garden. Personal use?? My @r5e!! And anyone especially the judge to believe that is living with their head up in the clouds.

Any normal person would have been banged up pending trial waiting for the manditory sentence, but no not for a corrupt "sargent"copper such as finbarr. He got 3 years suspended sentence for over "€30,000" worth of weed.{SNIP - DEFAMATORY MATERIAL}

If your so depraved & wont splash out and buy a paper to see whats going on around you, its all there. If you read the papers you wouldn't be looking for "proof", you've obviously got internet access have a look there. Its all out there. You need to wake up your being starved of the real world, living in a pipe dream - :pac::pac:sensationalist nonsense:pac::pac: snap out of it:D remove your head from whichever slurry pit its been seasoning in the majority of your life.

Mod note: User was banned for this post. It is not only highly insulting to the OP in question, but it's filled with defamatory statements. Plus it's completely off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Have we forgotten about a Big Ignorant Fat F#~ker from Offaly??? And his rounds of golf with the man who has Anglo Irish bank fisting everyone in this nation in the @55??? Or what about that incompetent predecessor Taoiseach before the BIFFO, bertie 'the b0110x' ahern with his " i never knew i needed to open a bank account" or what about his " Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something" The only f#~kin thing that b0110x changed was the bank balance in his wife's name. {SNIP - DEFAMATORY MATERIAL} Or the the mahon tribunal regarding a majority of police involved in corruption in donegal, pointing the finger at anyone just to bury a case. Read the papers, wake the f~#k up and pull your head out of the sand! " sesationalist nonsense":confused:

What about the pr1cks bating people down at the shell to sea site? There is plenty of footage online of excessive force being used on what initially was a peaceful protest. Or back to good auld garda sargent[a sargent] finbarr hickey & his cannabis factory 77 plants at various stages of growth from vegging to flowering to plants drying in a shed out his back garden. Personal use?? My @r5e!! And anyone especially the judge to believe that is living with their head up in the clouds.

Any normal person would have been banged up pending trial waiting for the manditory sentence, but no not for a corrupt "sargent"copper such as finbarr. He got 3 years suspended sentence for over "€30,000" worth of weed.{SNIP - DEFAMATORY MATERIAL}

If your so depraved & wont splash out and buy a paper to see whats going on around you, its all there. If you read the papers you wouldn't be looking for "proof", you've obviously got internet access have a look there. Its all out there. You need to wake up your being starved of the real world, living in a pipe dream - :pac::pac:sensationalist nonsense:pac::pac: snap out of it:D remove your head from whichever slurry pit its been seasoning in the majority of your life.

What does any of that have to do with the judiciary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

More sensationalist nonsense. What you need is the same as that solicitor needs i.e. PROOF.
    Cowan met that banker but there is no proof that anything unlawful happened between them although i am not too convinced on that one myself. But i cannot prove it and neither can you.
    The Sheel to Sea protesters gave as good as they got. They blocked the roads and tried to prevent people from going to their lawful work. The Gardai are given batons for that very purpose and were ordered to use them in certain cases.
    Ex- Sergeant Hickey was caught growing cannabis plants and who caught him? Members of the very force he served in and thank God they did. Where is the corruption there?
    He was growing cannabis which is illegal, I believe there was some lad caught driving while under the influence of it recently. very dangerous and against the law so we wouldn't want anything corrupting our drivers now, would we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭jakdelad

More sensationalist nonsense. What you need is the same as that solicitor needs i.e. PROOF.
    Cowan met that banker but there is no proof that anything unlawful happened between them although i am not too convinced on that one myself. But i cannot prove it and neither can you.
    The Sheel to Sea protesters gave as good as they got. They blocked the roads and tried to prevent people from going to their lawful work. The Gardai are given batons for that very purpose and were ordered to use them in certain cases.
    Ex- Sergeant Hickey was caught growing cannabis plants and who caught him? Members of the very force he served in and thank God they did. Where is the corruption there?
    He was growing cannabis which is illegal, I believe there was some lad caught driving while under the influence of it recently. very dangerous and against the law so we wouldn't want anything corrupting our drivers now, would we?
    dub777 while a little off the wall,, is more or less right
    and as for the super clean judiciary these are the same people who refused to take a pay cut while everyone else did
    these are from the same coven who not so many years ago
    sent children to letterfrack and other horrible places
    the same judges who wrongly sentenced nicky kelly for train robbery
    while not all are bad
    theres no system to weed out the bad judges
    therein lies the problem
    takes a lot to tackle a judge
    theres lots of law but very little justice

SNIPPED was caught growing cannabis plants and who caught him? Members of the very force he served in and thank God they did. Where is the corruption there?
    He was growing cannabis which is illegal, I believe there was some lad caught driving while under the influence of it recently. very dangerous and against the law so we wouldn't want anything corrupting our drivers now, would we?[/QUOTE]

Where is the corruption for SNIPPED??? Wake up man, the 'mandatory' sentence for that is a minimum of 10 years, & that pr1ck got 3 years SUSPENDED??
    What do you mean where is the corruption? He got away with it & the passports too. He was a rotten cop to the core & is still strolling around out of prison. Where is the corruption?? Its ok for him to do it and not the average civilian?? B0110X!:mad:!

& regarding me 'under the influence' as I said before I wasn't. It was smoked over 8 hours prior to driving through the amber light smarty pants :p
    If you knew anything about smoking yourself you'd know! Its funny how people can pass judgement on things they claim to know about. It another prime example of our farcical 'system'. You can have a pint and are fit to drive with trace amounts hours later, but not a spilff?? :confused: you clearly know nothing about it & god knows how many junkies drive home from their methadone clinics, but you hear f~#k all about them being prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Fair play to the man for saying what he feels. Its a pity more professionals dont speak up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Where is the corruption for Hickey??? Wake up man, the 'mandatory' sentence for that is a minimum of 10 years, & that pr1ck got 3 years SUSPENDED??
    What do you mean where is the corruption? He got away with it & the passports too. He was a rotten cop to the core & is still strolling around out of prison. Where is the corruption?? Its ok for him to do it and not the average civilian?? B0110X!:mad:!

& regarding me 'under the influence' as I said before I wasn't. It was smoked over 8 hours prior to driving through the amber light smarty pants :p
    If you knew anything about smoking yourself you'd know! Its funny how people can pass judgement on things they claim to know about. It another prime example of our farcical 'system'. You can have a pint and are fit to drive with trace amounts hours later, but not a spilff?? :confused: you clearly know nothing about it & god knows how many junkies drive home from their methadone clinics, but you hear f~#k all about them being prosecuted.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere recently that Hickey was in jail. Is this wrong?
    If nobody bought the cannabis then nobody would grow it.
    I agree that the law should be the same for everyone and that the corrupt bankers etc got away with it. All their assets should have been seized imo.

1. None of this has anything to do with the judiciary.

2. LOL at editing your post to correct a typo :D

• Advertisement

jakdelad wrote: »
    dub777 while a little off the wall,, is more or less right
    and as for the super clean judiciary these are the same people who refused to take a pay cut while everyone else did
    these are from the same coven who not so many years ago
    sent children to letterfrack and other horrible places
    the same judges who wrongly sentenced nicky kelly for train robbery
    while not all are bad
    theres no system to weed out the bad judges
    therein lies the problem
    takes a lot to tackle a judge
    theres lots of law but very little justice

3 things here.

1. Judges cannot have their wages reduced for a very very good reason and they shouldn't be pressured into doing so either.

2. Anyone who criticises a judge for sentencing nicky kelly and also criticises lenient sentences or how the system "only protects the criminals" is a hypocrite. Not saying you are, just pointing it out.

3. Almost everything you say is like some weird free verse poem that I find immediately annoying given you never have a point and every most of your supposed points with some off hand pseudo-aphorism that is totally unsubstantiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fred Cohen

3 things here.

1. Judges cannot have their wages reduced for a very very good reason and they shouldn't be pressured into doing so either.
    How are Judges any different than any other decision making public servants?
    2. Anyone who criticises a judge for sentencing nicky kelly and also criticises lenient sentences or how the system "only protects the criminals" is a hypocrite. Not saying you are, just pointing it out.
    What are you saying here? Are you suggesting Nicky Kelly is guilty of
    something or he received a light sentence?
    3. Almost everything you say is like some weird free verse poem that I find immediately annoying given you never have a point and every most of your supposed points with some off hand pseudo-aphorism that is totally unsubstantiated.
    To stay on a literary theme, I'd refer you to Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Now let's not forget your man in Kerry who bought child porn and when the gardai came to arrest him , the warrant was out of time..... Corrupt as befu"cked.

Martin Coen worked in the Blanchardstown court for as long as I've known him. He is as straight and honourable a man I've ever known . People are pontificating here about "Proof"... Martin hasn't made any specific allegations against anybody. He hasn't accused A particular Judge... He may have inside knowledge as to how business is done in the Courts, and so MAY have good reason for his decision. Time will tell......

Fred Cohen wrote: »
    How are Judges any different than any other decision making public servants?

Not all decision making public servants have a specific Article dedicated to them in the Constitution specifically precluding their wages from being reduced while in office.

What are you saying here? Are you suggesting Nicky Kelly is guilty of
    something or he received a light sentence?

No. I am saying that the legal system is designed to protect the innocent, as it should be, so that miscarriages of justice such as the above mentioned incident are avoided. When people say that only the criminals are protected they are missing the point, we are all protected.
    To stay on a literary theme, I'd refer you to Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78

The most contextually mis-quoted bit of Shakespeare eh? I refer you rather to George Orwell;
    We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.

The obvious, in this instance, being that despite all the nonsense spouted in this thread nobody has shown a scrap of evidence that a single judge is corrupt.

Even the Kerry reference above. Nobody is claiming he was corrupt. Plenty wrong there to be sure but certainly no corruption.

Not all decision making public servants have a specific Article dedicated to them in the Constitution specifically precluding their wages from being reduced while in office.
    But why?

No. I am saying that the legal system is designed to protect the innocent, as it should be, so that miscarriages of justice such as the above mentioned incident are avoided. When people say that only the criminals are protected they are missing the point, we are all protected.
    But it didn't, also how many have been charged following the Donegal enquiry?
    The most contextually mis-quoted bit of Shakespeare eh? I refer you rather to George Orwell;
    All animals are equal but some are more equal than others?

The obvious, in this instance, being that despite all the nonsense spouted in this thread nobody has shown a scrap of evidence that a single judge is corrupt.

Even the Kerry reference above. Nobody is claiming he was corrupt. Plenty wrong there to be sure but certainly no corruption.
    Given that that was an international operation and the Guards involved in serving the warrant pointed out the wrong date and were told to execute it anyway and this was the only invalid warrant in all the countries in the world involved, yes we really covered ourselves in glory that morning.

But why?

To stop corruption. Also to stop politicians forcing the judiciary to do what they say by hitting their wages. It ensures judicial independence.

But it didn't, also how many have been charged following the Donegal enquiry?

That was about Gardaí. We are talking about the judiciary.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others?

I really hope you realise how your two quotes so far are connected.

Given that that was an international operation and the Guards involved in serving the warrant pointed out the wrong date and were told to execute it anyway and this was the only invalid warrant in all the countries in the world involved, yes we really covered ourselves in glory that morning.

I didn't hold it up as a shining example of justice. I just stated that there was no allegation of corruption on the part of a judge, which there wasn't.

To stop corruption. Also to stop politicians forcing the judiciary to do what they say by hitting their wages. It ensures judicial independence.
    Again I will point you back to my original question how are they any different to other public servants?
    That was about Gardaí. We are talking about the judiciary.
    Sorry did you read the tribunal report, who condemned these people to gaol.
    I really hope you realise how your two quotes so far are connected.
    Agreed. But do agree with George Orwells?

I didn't hold it up as a shining example of justice. I just stated that there was no allegation of corruption on the part of a judge, which there wasn't.
    There was a lot of unsavioury things said about that judge but he managed to resign on full pension after 12 months sick leave 3 days before he was due to to be questioned?

Again I will point you back to my original question how are they any different to other public servants?

Really? The entire point of this thread is that the judiciary must be above reproach and the constitution reflects that by trying to ensure they are never subject to influence by the Government. They are different because their duty and responsibility is so fundamental to our society that they must be protected from all outside influence to absolutely guarantee judicial independence.

When a High Court judge makes a ruling it becomes law binding on all citizens. That's a pretty serious power and the people trusted to wield that power must be independent.

Sorry did you read the tribunal report, who condemned these people to gaol.

There were nine reports. None of them touched on the role of the judiciary in any way whatsoever. Have you read the reports?

Agreed. But do agree with George Orwells?

First, you can't agree with that statement as it is not a proposition of fact it is a statement of hope. You can't agree that you hope you understand the connection.

Secondly Orwell doesn't want me to agree with that quote so your question is ill-phrased and, obviously, completely irrelevant anyway.

There was a lot of unsavioury things said about that judge but he managed to resign on full pension after 12 months sick leave 3 days before he was due to to be questioned?

Any issue of corruption? Lots of bad things going on there but is anyone accusing any judge of corruption in that situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I doubt he has.

Maybe your doubt is right, maybe not time will tell. & the system is a farce. It is rotten to the core, politicians, bankers, developers. The vast majority of the 'governing' body/ies is/are rotten corrupt and disfunctional.

found dead in a car with a Ukrainian prostitute who was 17[t.

The ukrainian woman in the car at the time of the accident sued for libel and was not a protitute nor 17 and in fact was 29 years old and with a university degree for translation and was certainly an interpreter.Why not have some respect for the truth.

Ireland is corrupt because it doen't understand or is blind or naive to why it is corrupt. It is almost just a stupid country. Please allow me to explain my comment:

In a recent study The Transparency international for Ireland organisation did find that ireland while not suffering from petty bribes and so forth is legally corrupt. It suffers from legal corruption. Now while this might be found at different levels of business and affairs, i just want to focus on the reactionary force that this legal corruption has on irelands judicial system in the following paragraphs.

One important weakness in the irish judstice system is that there is no rehabilitation act in ireland. Irelands judicary breeds criminals like rabbits with out ever rehabilitating them. It also incarcerates innocent people. However Ireland unlike most other countries has several flaws that create a vicious circle.

1. No rehabilitation system means that there is a lawless class in ireland.

People may or may not be aware that the institution that is mountjoy prison is run on ancient british laws dating back before 19th and 18th century when church and state readily executed people.

3. This prison and it's people are actually outside traditonal law and operate under a seperate law- prison law. This is an alien world where our citzens never return from and where executions are a part of life.

4. The innnocent project has arrived in ireland, it has had a huge success in USA Uk and many other countries but ireland with be it's first real Nemisis because ireland is stupid. It's not so much corruption but a lack of accountability for it's corruption. The innocent project exploded to succces by using DNA to free innocent prisoners. It depended on Authortities to have kept samples from cold case's murder and rape and other serious offences from decades earlier. So far they have managed to free hundreds of prisoners using this practice and have received dozens of irish cases already.

The innocence project will stop dead in it's tracks in ireland because you can be certain that the Forenisc and technical bureau have disposed of all the samples. They reguarly just throw away crtical evidence because they have no regard for the innocent or rehabilitaion of our citizens. They know they are corrupt and despit them being the moral leaders of country and well aware of rough justice program and Barry sheck and innocence projects as far back as almost 30 years ago they will nonethless operate contrary to the last shimmering hope every other western country has at the very least afforded it's citizens the right to test evidence.

Ireland remains alone in this regard. With an alienated prison population and prison laws exploiting laws from 17th and 18th century to incarcerate and undermine our constitution and hence right to life and equally decadent judicary, you realise that ireland still operates it's gallows and hangmen while our moral leaders furtively dispose of test Samples needed to free the innocent and bring our country back to sanity.

Taxpayers just spent what might eventually cost 200 million on the Moiority Tribunial. If you go to molesworth street (goverment publications) and look at the goverment expenditure on the justice department you will discover that ireland has spent a mere 2 million an annum increasing miserably and incremently on criminal examination and Forensic scientiific labatory in the detection of serious crime. Yet they have spent what might amount to 70 years of that budget on a the worthless Morioity tribunial the result of which was 100 page binder about estat digi phone.

Our garda admit they are not equipped to provide security for Obama or the Queen let alone police an entire country. We now have to explain to our citizens that few corrupt officals and gardai have almost destroyed any chance of resolving miscarriges of justice in this country. What i wonder is when this all eventually blows up how are you going to stop the reactionary forces when you have no budget thanks to Morority tribunial and other vast wastes of tax payers money to provide security.

True corruption is not just pettty bribes and brown envelopes it is also a Judicial system that operates without regard for justice which ireland will no longer have if we can't resolve miscarriages of justice. People create poverty not god or nature. We are poor because of certain people. These people continue to impoverish us. People are not even amused or entertained by the character of our courts anymore.

There are gardai in this country that could transform our judicial system and lives of our citizens with one phonecall to the director of the innocence project and one signed affidavit bringing years of corruption to light. The code of silence seems to be above God and Country an omerta that they bring to the grave.

These gardai need to respect our courts and be honest and more truthful and reveal those dark secrets because it is their secrecy and darkness and perjury that breeds life into what can only be described as irelands fifth dimension with old laws outside the constitution.

• Advertisement

There is no corruption? Wake up!!! Smell the coffee/roses whatever the saying is in your end of the country!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement