Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 41: Simple Lemon Drizzle Cake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Just made these to bring into work tomorrow, the kitchen smells lovely! I added the innards of a vanilla pod for extra deliciousness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm making this today. I'm going to a dinner party with a guest of honour and the guest of honour only likes lemon based desserts (fussy or what!). Thankfully I remembered this delicious offering so I shall put it together and bring it along tonight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Good luck :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I realised I had hardly any white sugar left so I made this with soft brown sugar (only using white sugar for the lemon syrup).

It was just as lovely as ever. All eaten! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I have a slightly unusual compliment for these. If you burn the absolute a*se out of them by, just randomly plucking scenarios from my head here, obviously I would never do such a daft thing, putting the pan of cake on top of a ring that's still on and hot from making the lemon syrup, they are very, very salvageable and still delicious. The burnt bit forms a magical crust and none of the bad carbon taste sneaks up into the cake.

Besides that they are delicious. I don't bake well due to sloppiness and carelessness and they turned out perfectly. So tangy, hate when lemon cake has no sharp lemon tang to it!

3d62402a-b634-4e51-9393-93523e1cd3de_zps1e9f640a.jpg
    c44b6e36-4763-4a62-978c-cd0df2568f9d_zps91684508.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also good if you make icing using just icing sugar and lemon juice, zingy topping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I hate lemon :) but gonna try a orange&poppyseed version. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

girlfriend made this over the weekend, will definitely be getting her to do these again! might ask her to try out the icing suggestions as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

An oldie but someone recommended this to me and I made it last night with my new mixer. Very simple and it came out perfectly!

I don't eat lemony desserts myself, but I know someone who does ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 janey j

Just made this and its amazing, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

making it again for the millionth time today :D
    exciting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I knew bw would be a repeat customer in this thread. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Made this with my 2 year old and 4 year old and it still turned out lovely. Have to love lemon drizzle cake. Thanks for the recipe op.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I made this today and it turned out lovely. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks CombatCow! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

CombatCow, thank you for this brilliant recipe. I made it with a mixer, and it turned out gorgeous and super soft, even though I made it with oranges instead of lemons (I did have two lemons in the house, but by the look of them I think they must've been there since the Sydney Olympics...). My guests even asked for a piece to bring home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

New Home wrote: »
    CombatCow, thank you for this brilliant recipe. I made it with a mixer, and it turned out gorgeous and super soft, even though I made it with oranges instead of lemons (I did have two lemons in the house, but by the look of them I think they must've been there since the Sydney Olympics...). My guests even asked for a piece to bring home. :)

Great! You're welcome, must try an orange version myself... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I FINALLY got around to making this. I can't believe it's taken me so long to make it tbh, I glad I did though because it was absolutely gorgeous. My kind of cake really.

Thanks OP

I'm trying to upload a pic but for some reason it keeps crashing. I'll put it up later.

-Edit
    Finally managed to upload a pic. Can't upload to Boards though.

4rrmK3e.jpg

Man alive, I could dive head first into that cake. Absolutely beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Used this to make a lemon meringue cake for a birthday. Yum!

0ewKw8f.jpg?1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wow. I'm sorry I don't know you 'cause it meant I didn't get an invite to your party. Happy Birthday, anyway, the cake looks deeeeelicious.

EDIT - Just realised it wasn't your birthday but a birthday... what I said about the cake still stands, though.

• Advertisement

Made this again last night - disappeared very quickly when I brought it into work earlier! Great recipe. Very easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Eh, one question. What to do with the grind of the second lemon and first 25g of the sugar?
    I've read it several times and can't get it.

I'm at that stage. Photo to follow tomorrow.

You mix them together and sprinkle them on top of the cake - see photos from when the cake has been baked onwards.

New Home wrote: »
    You mix them together and sprinkle them on top of the cake - see photos from when the cake has been baked onwards.

Danke. Hard to see clearly on phone.

What a lovely recipe. Worked a treat.

WP_20160213_00_57_23_Pro_zpsl8pqmlf2.jpg

I made it for a boards beers in a loaf form. Or madeira, as the black oil said!
    Glad to learn how to make the glaze.
    Thanks OP. Another added to the repertoire.

Edit here.
    Made 'em late Friday and were delicious still this morning for brekkie.

WP_20160214_12_12_13_Pro_zpsxogqyp9v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Just made this and it's superb.... Very easy to make and tastes delicious. Kids really enjoying it too..

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Just made this and it's superb.... Very easy to make and tastes delicious. Kids really enjoying it too..

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Finally got round to making this.

Made a cake version...I messed up, it was a disaster.

So this morning I made them in cupcake form, but I made lemon and vanilla version.

Brilliant recipe, thanks very much for sharing :)

I made this for my boss's birthday this week, she liked it so much she went back for seconds! All completely destroyed in a matter of minutes, thanks so much for this great recipe. I've made it three times now and it's been a treat each time.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I made it again earlier in the week. It's a good 'un.

Advertisement