Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Round 2 of the pulled pork and off to a rocky start. Picked this shoulder up in Fxbuckley bone in and put it in the fridge when I got home yesterday. Got to skinning it and realised it wouldn't fit in the slow cooker. Some dissection and the hock removed not very elegantly. Rub done now, plan on cooking this batch Saturday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I hate that "oh... bother" moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sparks wrote: »
    I hate that "oh... bother" moment :D

Came home this evening to a gorgeous smell in the fridge. Can cooking it in the morning. Tempted to go to bed early so, I can make an early start, with this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Followed this post at the start but due to apartment living and baby never had the space for a slow cooker.
    However my missus decided after Christmas that she needed one.
    Just started the process and am on a 10 hour countdown. Can't wait. Also can't believe this post is still so near the top. Thought I was going to be digging through pages to find it a tribute to a quality recipe sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Making this again, I love this recipe!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Can liquid smoke be added to the cooking liquid?

Have the pork on since last night but just spotted the bottle at the back of the press! Planning to leave it in the slow cooker for at least another 5-6 hours

Yes, but only if you want it to taste awesome. I've added it several times now.

Yes, but only if you want it to taste awesome. I've added it several times now.

Sweet, how much do you add?

usually six or seven tablespoons, but I *really* like the smokey taste...

(and I'll add a tablespoon or two to the sauce as well at the end)

• Advertisement

Cool thanks, threw a good dose in there. I am looking forward to this :)

Round one...:P

ohp7d5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Forgot about the pulled pork thread :)
    Anyone get much done over the Irish BBQ season??? lol

Made another few batches of this during the "season", but haven't made much in the way of major changes to the recipe. I have a larger slow cooker now so the batches are a bit larger, and I've been able to find pork shoulder a lot more readily now that pulled pork is A Thing™ so the meat cut has changed, but the basic process remains the same. Sometimes I'll add a chipotle instead of a jalapeno (I found a shop on my walk home that sells canned chipotles in adobo and canned tomatillos and other fun things). Sometimes I'll add liquid smoke. But mostly it's a stable recipe.

now that pulled pork is A Thing™

BTW, WTH?
    When I wrote this first, if you'd asked for pulled pork on your sandwich people wouldn't have known if they should call for the Gardai, the DSPCA or a priest. Today the stuff is everywhere, on and in everything. Hell, even macarons.

convert?fit=crop&w=640&rotate=exif&quality=90&cache=true

Strange world...

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Can I use loin for this recipe? Can't find shoulder or leg anywhere

I've tried it in the past but it didn't work so well. Not enough collagen. It's not *horriffic*, but it's a terrible waste of a pork loin, which should have been trimmed, split down the middle, stuffed with dried apple blended to a paste with some apple juice (or cider or apple brandy if you like), wrapped in puff pastry and baked to make pork wellington.

BTW, every butcher is carrying shoulder these days, but they seem to be calling it gigot for some reason. I have no idea why - I mean, I could understand calling it butt, but gigot?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I use loin all the time and it's grand. Loin might more suited to different recipes but I've never had any issues using it for this. And sure you're shredding the bejaysis out of the meat at the end anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

I managed to find shoulder with the bone in in Waterford, so the loin is in the freezer. Cooled it last night and sauced it this morning. Pretty tasty stuff. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Will this work for this recipe ????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Masala wrote: »
    Will this work for this recipe ????????

There are better ways of cooking that, Masala. Ask your butcher for a shoulder.

Lidl are selling boned pork shoulder joints at the moment E4.99 a kilo. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Satriale wrote: »

Guess I'm making a trip to lidl on lunchbreak!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Guess I'm making a trip to lidl on lunchbreak!

Got a slow cooker last week, picked one of these up yesterday so after months of longingly looking at OPs recipe I'm finally in the process of making it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked one up on Saturday. Good value, although by the time I took the fat off the joint it was closer to 0.75kg of meat. But on the plus side, I have pulled pork for lunch all week. :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked one up on Saturday. Good value, although by the time I took the fat off the joint it was closer to 0.75kg of meat. But on the plus side, I have pulled pork for lunch all week. :)

Yea I had to root around for some with less padding. I forgot I was due a batch of sausages though, so I'm going to get a couple of fatty ones this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Bought one of the slow cookers from the bargain alerts forum.

It's 5.5 Litre capacity, currently have Pork Shoulder marinating in fridge. Only concern is; will the slow cooker be too big? As the pork won't be imeressed in the liquid?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

sibersha wrote: »
    Bought one of the slow cookers from the bargain alerts forum.

It's 5.5 Litre capacity, currently have Pork Shoulder marinating in fridge. Only concern is; will the slow cooker be too big? As the pork won't be imeressed in the liquid?

It will be fine, the pork doesn't have to be immersed. In fact you'll end up with a lot more liquid than you started out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

It's not gone well.

The pork was burnt to a crisp and everything else in the slow cooker turned to a coal like substance with no liquid to be seen :-(

• Advertisement

Doh. Sorry sibersha. That can happen if your slow cooker is large and you crank it up as high as it will go; some of them seem to have been designed with the assumption that they'll always be full and can burn things if the liquid evaporates. You need to ensure you always have enough liquid in the cooker; if the cooker is full of meat and there's not a huge amount of room for liquid, that'll do it because the meat will absorb the thermal energy and keep the temperature of the liquid low enough to reduce evaporation (so for small cookers this almost never happens, but with the big ones, if you haven't filled them with meat, bad things can happen).

If you're trying again, just add more liquid. It doesn't have to be a swimming pool, but you need enough to be sure it doesn't run dry. Just add more coke to the cooker (or even water) if it's running low. You can also experiment with lower temperature settings on the slow cooker, but be sure to keep an eye on it; remember, if you think it's ready, grab a piece of meat with the tongs and twist; if it feels like cooked meat, it's not done yet. It should come away with almost no force at all, it should not feel like a steak or a roast.

Advertisement