Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Well, it looks like I'll be selling ym amp and computer and getting the effects and amp. The problem is, I don't know of any guitars that I like that I could justify spending €1000 on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

So try some out.

newband wrote:
    not as **** as a **** guitar through a **** amp

What a useful contribution...

Unfortunately, there is no high end guitars around these parts. And I'm never in Dublin so trying guitars is a somewhat limited activity.

Nobody can explain the satisfaction of owning a truly fantastic instrument to you. It can't be justified purely by someone telling you it's the way forward. You won't know it's right until you do it. Sometimes you've got to take risks, but the end justifies the gamble. Every guitar you've owned, you've felt you needed to do something to it to make it better, be it pickups, electronics or whatever. Just imagine the satisfaction of having an instrument that doesn't need changes, that responds to what and how you play, that helps you further yourself as a musician rather than hold you back. That is a top end guitar. Until you play one, you don't really believe there's that much of a difference, but there is.

I'm sure it is a great feeling but like I said, there's no guitar I like for about €1200 that I feel I couldn't make myself (insane, I know) for cheaper and probably better. Hanging a few pieces of wood and metal around your neck every night that costs that amount of money is just crazy in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Then why upgrade at all?

To get a better guitar, either shop bought or otherwise. My LTD is close enough to perfect for me. Change the body to alder, make it neck through and put a proper lo-pro Floyd Rose trem on it and it's perfect. Unfortunately, that costs a bit...

You gotta pay for quality man :)

But you don't have to over pay for it.

LGM custom shop - €2000 or less

PRS - God knows

Both high quality guitars by all accounts. LGM has many many options, PRS not so many. LGM about a quarter the price. I don't believe in paying hundreds for nothing more than a transfer on the head that says Gibson or Fender or PRS.

Indeed. Ibanez J Custom - €1200 from Ishibashi
    Fender bog standard American Series Strat - €1200 in Musicmaker :D

• Advertisement

Price the parts on the J custom.

Don't have to. I'd be happy to pay €1200 to have a guitar built to that standard. I have no problem with paying skilled luthiers to create a fantastic instrument. I don't have time to learn and hone the requisite skills. I like to play. I love to play. I especially love playing on great instruments which reward the player. €1200 for that? A bargain, in my eyes.

But what good is a €1200 guitar going into a €100 amp? I know you said upgrade over time but personally, I'd be rather pissed off not being able to play the guitar through a decent amp for at least a year.

Who said anything about a €100 amp? You said a budget of €1500 minus €1200 guitar leaves €300. I got an Ampeg VH140C for €300. That is anything but a crap amp.

That €1500 seems to be vastly over-rated plus circumstances have changed.

€1100 isn't too far off though while keeping all my guitars.

Amps are overrated. If you're playing at home, a microcube will suffice. If you're doing a gig, chances are you'll be using someone else's amp.

You don't see anything wrong with running a €1200 quid guitar through a microcube?

And what about jamming with a drummer? More than likely (as in definately) I'll be using my own amp. A microcube will not cut it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

feylya wrote:
    But my point is, no matter how good the guitar is, it's still going to sound ****e going through a bad amp.

Still, there's always my Peavey Bandit II in the house at the moment anyway. I'm not planning on locking it away or hiding it anytime soon. At the very least, that gives you the option of taking your time getting an amp to match the guitar.

In my completely uneducated opinion, I think you should consider getting a second-hand guitar. You could find something of the quality Doctor J is suggesting in a more affordable price range, and still have something in good nick. Don't rule out second-hand just for the sake of it.

The Bandit will be here for another 6 months and tbh, I'd far rather my own amp to have my own settings...

As for second hand, I'd prefer to make the battle scars on the guitar rather than have someone elses. That and there's just no guitars that are interesting me at the moment.

Then don't upgrade. Easy peasy :)

• Advertisement

But I still need the amp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

feylya wrote:
    You don't see anything wrong with running a €1200 quid guitar through a microcube?

You're quite impossible, aren't you?

Personally, I'd have no problem running a €1200 guitar, or a €3000 guitar, or even some mad crazy €12,000 astro guitar with built-in moon spokes and self-tuning tricorder through a Microcube. Because lets face it... even if I did have my dream Mark IV, I'd still be using the microcube more often.

If I was to flog off all my gear tomorrow and place my order for the 8-String, I wouldn't compromise on a single detail just because I've only got a microcube to run it through.

I am with DocJ 100% on this matter, and I'm suprised you don't see things from the same perspective. If you're going to sell your gear for something better, don't do it half-assed. Use your full ass.

Edit: Actually, the thing I couldn't justify, is using an €800 amp for practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If only they'd ship inter-continental, that'd be your boy there Feylya.

Drool

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-171404.html

Also on Thomann for quite a bit more. ESP have stopped all guitars being shipped to outside America.

TBH, I would have no problem using an €800 amp. The guitar I have now is lovely. I may just get a FR Lo Pro and retro fit it then go for a nice H-302 off eBay or something.

Apart from the fact is looks gak?

But it doesn't look gak. It looks quite nice altogether.

I've never been a fan of either arrow inlays or trans-black on flamed maple. It's just wrong.

Well I'm planning on having a trans-black quilt maple top on that Leviathan if I ever get it, so I think we've got very different tastes altogether.

Try give us an idea of a €1200 guitar that you do think looks nice maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement