Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig

Options
  • 22-11-2004 10:33pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, I'm seriously thinking about flogging all my gear and starting a new. So, with a budget of abotu €1500, what one amp and guitar would you get? Effects would be a bonus (chorus, delay, reverb), preferably not on the amp but no essential. Shoot!

Oh, I'd also like everything to be new so nothing from Chris's Guitars Doc :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As regards the guitar.

Lovely. Might look at a spider or something too for an amp.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's lovely but no longer in production. I'd rather split the money 50/50 rather than spend a grand on the guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You're a fecking eeejit if you rule out second hand. :D

Spend €1300 on Ibanez Prestige from Ishibashi and pick up a Peavy combo from Buy and Sell. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

Hmmm. TBH, I was even thinking about making a neck through 6 string, alder wings, maple cap, natural finish, EMG's, Floyd Rose lo-pro.

Hmm, what sort of Peavey combo? The prestiges are cheaper than that, are they not?

If you're going to buy a quality guitar, then blow the lot on it. Don't hold back. Get a lifer. When it comes to amp time, you can get a good result for a couple of hundred euro, then save at your leisure for a big amp. Get a frikkin Jem or something. Get the best guitar you can, it is something you will never regret. Compromise... well, you'll learn to live with yourself, I suppose... eventually :)

• Advertisement

I know. I'm just sick with my current gear. Nothing worth €500 even :(

With the exception of my new bass perhaps...

The logic would be that you're aways going to be playing your guitar. When you're doodling watching TV, you'll be playing a great guitar. When you do a gig, you'll be playing a great guitar. You may not, however, be playing your amp, so sort the guitar first and it will be the motivation to get a kick ass amp which can do justice to the guitar.

BUT incredible guitar into ****e amp = ****eness.

Thinking about getting a H-302. Opinions? EMG's will be going into it of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

Well my own Eggle and Spider II combination cost around 1500, so i can recommend that. :)
    (Although the eggle was second hand)

I don't know. I want to try and stay away from the Line 6 stuff. Don't ask me why.

BTW Zoton, you and me share the same birthday...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

In all fairness, the Doc is absolute, 100% right here. Blow the WHOLE lot on a really awesome guitar, and a microcube. Because if you're not gigging, a big whomper of an amp isn't of that much use, and even if you do start gigging, there's always the option of renting/borrowing equipment.

Listen to the Doctor my friend, he is wise.
    And a microcube is a lovely practice amp altogether.

Like I said to you before though, you're an excellent guitarist, and you need a guitar worthy of your skills0rz.

Ah, you're too kind :P

I've a feeling a Microcube may be coming my way soon enough.

As for a decent guitar, I think the h-302 with some mods may be perfect. Mahogany neck and body, neck through, 24 fret, stop bar... About €640

Leaves about €800 for and ENGL combo. Question is though, should I sell everything I own (guitar wise) for the sake of one amp? How much will I regret it later?

A lot. Good amps generally sound cack at low volumes and the times when you can let rip on a good amp (and really get the quality out of it) are few and far between. Let me assure you there's a world of difference between a LTD and an Ibanez Prestige model, and sooner you'll play a Jem or some other top of the line guitar and realise you've got to buy one and sell the LTD and go throught the whole process again. For 2-300 euro you can get a decent amp which will do you for practice at home, rehearsal and gigs. You need about 70W to be as loud as a bass player with 300W, so forget about JCM900's until you've got the van to get it around, otherwise it just sits in your gaff taking up space.

Get the finest guitar you can afford, no question. Why get a guitar that costs as much as an Epiphone Les Paul when you can get a guitar that's as much as a real Les Paul. You know there is a difference between the two Les Pauls, so it stands to reason that there'd be as big a difference in any other comparatively priced guitars. Get a Leviathan from Jeremy. Don't compromise when buying a guitar, it is a crooked path walked only by those whose destination is regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

feylya wrote:
    I don't know. I want to try and stay away from the Line 6 stuff. Don't ask me why.

BTW Zoton, you and me share the same birthday...
    Wierd. Though you're not hitting the quarter century at your next one are ya?

Unless you can really let rip with the Engl there's not much point in owning one. When i was buying my amp earlier this year, i was looking at that model, tried the marshall's too etc. But settled for the spider because it has a nicer sound than the AVT's (you probably know that already), but it also sounds good a low volumes which just doesn't suit the valves. it was purely a bonus that it was cheaper than the other amps i looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

feylya wrote:
    BUT incredible guitar into ****e amp = ****eness.

This is true, but you won't get a really good amp for less than €1000. You're just not going to get a great rig for €1500, so it's really a question of prioritising one or the other - unless you want a rig that's mediocre overall.

I'd stay away from JCM900s and 2000s anyway if I were you. For the same money as a JCM2000 head with a 4x12 marshall cab you can buy a Vox AC30. Which is in a completely different league, and pisses on the JCM from an almighty height. I recorded a fair number of JCMs at this stage. They're cack. For all the difference it would make, you'd be as well off with a Spider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Doctor J wrote:
    You're a fecking eeejit if you rule out second hand. :D

Spend €1300 on Ibanez Prestige from Ishibashi and pick up a Peavy combo from Buy and Sell. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

Agreed, or maybe a Musicman Axis

rg8527.jpg

For about €1200 including shipping... ah so!

7 string though... I like 7's and everything but my main guitar has to be a six...

rg8670.jpg

Same price.

TBH, not a massive fan of the vine inlay. Or the middle pickup.

(Yes, I know I'm awkward)

• Advertisement

rg8520.jpg

Slightly cheaper but still from the top drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

I'd suggest a Marshall DFX for about 500 eurons for a 100 watt amp.Lovely distortion tone.As for guitar....a PRS SE???Tremonti?

SE? Tremonti? :confused: "really awesome guitar"? :eek:

zo3p.jpg

OK THEN HERE YOU GO, YE FUSSY BASTID! They just don't make better guitars than these :p If this doesn't tickle your fancy then I think you're just beyond help :D

YES, that'll do perfectly. Oh, besides the English flag...

Mongo, the DFX is a terrible series of amps. Horrible things.

True. Get very bored of their awful distortion very fast. All-valve Marshalls though; that's the way to go, unless of course you can afford a nice big Mesa setup, in which case I hate you anyway. :rolleyes:

I plan to get a MarkIV at some stage myself, It Wasn't Me.

Although my plans have a habit of falling through. I did plan to get a Mesa Boogie years ago, and I still don't have one yet.

Mmmmmm.... Triple Rectifier for me personally. :)

Well, I've got Rectifier modelling on my microcube. :D
    I think that's about as close as I'm gonna get for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Doctor J wrote:
    Don't compromise when buying a guitar, it is a crooked path walked only by those whose destination is regret.

All Hail The Great Doc! :D

I couldnt agree with you more. Feylya, the guitar will always be your priority. Like the Doc says, get a guitar you're going to keep for life and then worry about the amp. I recently got my dream Strat (I still wet myself at the mere sight of it) but i play it through a Marshall G80R which is just completely sub-standard. I have the guitar i want now, and i can always get rid of this Marshall and get something else - but the Strat - never!

Advertisement